Third trimester fetal loss (stillbirth), how to prevent it in future pregnancy? Please share ..

kohloh

Hi All,

Few months ago, I lost my daughter at week 32 gestation due to no heartbeat. It was my 1st pregnancy. All the while, the routine check up has been fine and all reports are showing normal. At week 31, I felt my baby did not kick a lot as usual. I was curious but I didn't go to clinic due to work. Then, when i went for routine check-up the following week, my gynae told us that our baby heartbeat has stopped. We were so shocked and upset. Out of a sudden. my baby has gone without reason. I was admitted to KKH to deliver my baby vaginally. I have also done ton of blood test which everything seems to be normal. In the meantime, the hospital also refer me to the high risk clinic STORK for follow up. I almost fell into depression and this is the most hardest time in my life. Three months later, the postmortem report shows that the placenta was abnormally small and the placenta weight was abnormal as well. I was told by the doctor I need to take aspirin in my future pregnancy starting from week 12. I am TTC again now. I would like to hear if anyone experience the same?

Last edited:

Hi, sorry to hear that. I hope u r on your way to recovery. U mentioned the placenta is abnormally small but didnt this get picked up during the detailed scan? I recall the sonographer will check that, right?

Hi, sorry to hear that. I hope u r on your way to recovery. U mentioned the placenta is abnormally small but didnt this get picked up during the detailed scan? I recall the sonographer will check that, right?

Hi @Zcshop, we did detailed scan at week 28, but it was not discovered that time. During the detailed scan, everything was fine. And, doctor explained to us they can't measure the weight of placenta using ultrasound. Basically, ultrasound cannot detect the size and weight of the placenta.

Hi All,

Few months ago, I lost my daughter at week 32 gestation due to no heartbeat. It was my 1st pregnancy. All the while, the routine check up has been fine and all reports are showing normal. At week 31, I felt my baby did not kick a lot as usual. I was curious but I didn't go to clinic due to work. Then, when i went for routine check-up the following week, my gynae told us that our baby heartbeat has stopped. We were so shocked and upset. Out of a sudden. my baby has gone without reason. I was admitted to KKH to deliver my baby vaginally. I have also done ton of blood test which everything seems to be normal. In the meantime, the hospital also refer me to the high risk clinic STORK for follow up. I almost fell into depression and this is the most hardest time in my life. Three months later, the postmortem report shows that the placenta was abnormally small and the placenta weight was abnormal as well. I was told by the doctor I need to take aspirin in my future pregnancy starting from week 12. I am TTC again now. I would like to hear if anyone experience the same?

Hi, I am so so sorry for your loss and my heart breaks for you to have gone through this. I have very similar experience losing my baby at week 33; Stillbirth. Same thing, every follow-up and report results show normal until week 32. But was then hospitalized for a week as my body showed sign of preterm labor aka contraction. Being a 1st time mum, didnt know that the feeling of tummy tightness was contraction. At week 33, my baby heartbeat stopped. My private doctor in NUH said the same as yours, couldn't detect the size of the placenta or see umbilical cord using ultrasound. Persuaded by my parent for 2nd opinion after receiving the sad news, went to visit private doctor in Mt A and surprisingly their ultrasound machine is able to see placenta and umbilical cord. Post Mortem, the autopsy received was placenta insufficiency.

It is a difficult road to recovery and be back to normal because indeed, you have spent 32 weeks of every moment together with your baby. You are not alone and you don't have to go through this alone. Please seek support from spouse, family and close friends, or even write to me if it helps you. Take time at your own pace to recover.

Hugs!

Hi, I am so so sorry for your loss and my heart breaks for you to have gone through this. I have very similar experience losing my baby at week 33; Stillbirth. Same thing, every follow-up and report results show normal until week 32. But was then hospitalized for a week as my body showed sign of preterm labor aka contraction. Being a 1st time mum, didnt know that the feeling of tummy tightness was contraction. At week 33, my baby heartbeat stopped. My private doctor in NUH said the same as yours, couldn't detect the size of the placenta or see umbilical cord using ultrasound. Persuaded by my parent for 2nd opinion after receiving the sad news, went to visit private doctor in Mt A and surprisingly their ultrasound machine is able to see placenta and umbilical cord. Post Mortem, the autopsy received was placenta insufficiency.

It is a difficult road to recovery and be back to normal because indeed, you have spent 32 weeks of every moment together with your baby. You are not alone and you don't have to go through this alone. Please seek support from spouse, family and close friends, or even write to me if it helps you. Take time at your own pace to recover.

Hugs!

Hi @Pcia, thank you for your reply. When was it happened? I am so sorry for your lost and I hope you are doing well now.
KKH report shows my placenta is abnormally small. I am trying to conceive again and looking for preventive measure. I visited a few gynae and I was told to take aspirin in my future pregnancy. I need to look for a high risk gynae for next pregnancy. Can I know which doctor you have seen in Mount Alvenia? Dr Tony Tan? Did they mention about preventive measure in future pregnancy?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Hi @Pcia, thank you for your reply. When was it happened? I am so sorry for your lost and I hope you are doing well now.
KKH report shows my placenta is abnormally small. I am trying to conceive again and looking for preventive measure. I visited a few gynae and I was told to take aspirin in my future pregnancy. I need to look for a high risk gynae for next pregnancy. Can I know which doctor you have seen in Mount Alvenia? Dr Tony Tan? Did they mention about preventive measure in future pregnancy?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

It happened to me in 2019 and am recovering better with the support of family and friends :)

I'm considering Prof Arijit Biswas for my future pregnancy.

My private gynae, Prof Su, advised me to downgrade to ward C just in case my baby would be premature and it would be a hefty bill for NICU. During my stay in the ward, I've witnessed another high-risk mummy who was also downgraded as private to subsidized, her private gynae Prof Biswas continued to see her. From then, I realized this doctor is genuinely caring to his patient.

However I have heard from other mummies (not high-risk pregnancy) describe Prof Biswas as man of a few words. My guess is Prof Biswas put most of his attention on those who are more in need.

All western doctors advised me to take aspirin as preventive measure for future pregnancy. There is possible side effect to mummy and baby if aspirin is taken during pregnancy.

I'm truly sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Dr. Ng at GynaeMD Women's and Rejuvenation Clinic has been highly recommended for cases like yours. His expertise in high-risk pregnancies and compassionate care could be instrumental in your journey. Wishing you strength and success in your TTC journey.
Hi Tizely, thank you :) Do you know the full name of Dr.Ng?

I highly recommend Dr. Chen at Healthcare for Women in Singapore for pregnancy care. Her expertise and compassionate approach make the journey of pregnancy reassuring and comfortable. Dr. Chen's dedication to women's health ensures a supportive and personalized experience throughout this special time. Trustworthy and knowledgeable, she's the ideal choice for maternal care.

Back