TESE Or MESA- cost,procedures?

BBTT

Hello all,

probably officially embarking on the TTC journey and need to find out more information.

DH and I went for the fertility test last Nov and the SA wasnt good (azoospermia)
Dr Loh SF suggested did his blood test and the results were all good- so he suggested going straight for IVF.

However I wanted to get a second opinion from a Urologist so we went to see a doc but gave up halfheartedly after he told us to do the Y-chromo blood test which will be about SGD 900.

the urologist suggestion was if the genetics are fine, then we'll probably need to go through TESE/MESA and then also to go straight into IVF.

DH and I then discussed we'll probably try the IVF at KKH (or the govt hospital) first since the grants and subsidies are still available-

we are taking a referral from the polyclinic and will join the KKH Queue soon.

But would really like to ask:
anyone here's whose husband has done TESE/ MESA before?
can you share what was the cost and if it was covered by medisave?

my research was that it will cost about 15k-18k in private and wouldnt be covered by insurance as it isnt "health related" so that shocked us terribly.

if anyone has information to share, please can you share it with me
i'll really appreciate it alot! thank you very much!

Im going for TESA next tuesday at KkH. For subsidy u need to pay cash abt$900.. the rest is cpf.. will update again once i recvd the bill

KKH will post us the bill hence unable to provide the exact cost. During Tesa procedure they will harvest for sperm and look at the scope immediately.. DH will able to know the outcome immediately.. lucky for us they managed to harvest healthy sperm.. our next appt will be in 2 weeks time.. hopefully our ivf journey goes smoothly

KKH will post us the bill hence unable to provide the exact cost. During Tesa procedure they will harvest for sperm and look at the scope immediately.. DH will able to know the outcome immediately.. lucky for us they managed to harvest healthy sperm.. our next appt will be in 2 weeks time.. hopefully our ivf journey goes smoothly
TATS GOOD NEWS!! YEAPPIE!!!
can u share your email so i can ask you more or you are ok for me to ask here?

Yup.. diagnose with azoospermia also.. did all blood test including the Y chromosone..
it cost abt $400 for chromosone after subsidy...quite expensive for a blood test..

My personnel opinion might as well add another $500 cash and go fo TESA straight.. skip the chromosone test cause if due to chromosone issue they cant do anything as it is a genetic issue.. even u clear all the blood test the chances of harvesting healthy sperm is abt 50%..

Our choice actually to go for TESA straight but I misunderstood and i thght the cash portion cost abt 1.5k for TESA hence we go ahead with chromosone test.. i only know that i need to fork out $900 cash and abt $600 medisave after DH did the chromosone test

For our situation is abit unique :)
Coz im a foreigner and my dh is singaporean..

We went for a fertility check at indonesia, my dh went for SA and im supposed to go for HSG but unfortunately my period came hence all my test was postponed. So SA result came first and diagnose with Azoospermia..

So we decide to do further check at singapore. We get referral to CGH.. did all bloodtest, they didnt suggest abt chromosone test but the rest of the result are normal.. Did SA x 3 and still diagnose with azoospermia..they also did ultrasound at pelvic area and everything are normal.. they suggested to go for TESA but it can only be done at KKH..

We kiv abt 1year plus cause our concern is abt cost as for fertility issue it must registered under wife name and im a foreigner which we cant get any subsidy and must register under private..

So we decided to go to KKH for private appt to discuss our concern and the doc made an exception to register under husband name instead of my name to enjoy the subsidy.. they also told us the only test that has not been done which is chromosone test which is quite exp..

We also told the doctor to harvest the sperm first becoz no point checking myself if my dh dont have any healthy sperm as money is our main concerns..

If they cant harvest any healthy sperm we decide to seek closure on the case since we already did what we could.

Since now we have healthy sperm.. now im not sure what checks need to be done on my side...

What are the test that u have done for urself?

Hi!

For us. We went to Thomson Fertility initially to do the Fertility Test. I did the blood test which is all normal but my dh was diagnosed azoospermic.

He repeated the test and also did a blood test. Blood test was very normal but the SA failed again.

Dr Loh then suggested us to try IVF immediately. But we werent so sure...

We then went to a Urologist in Gleneagles who did some ultrasound but found nothing abnormal and suggested to go for genetics test and then TESA and then IVF. I think it was rather expensive so we didnt do it- as it will be a 100% "private" route.

After months of considering, we then went to NUH.
He did the genetics test, SA and I did my HSG and those blood tests.

We will be having the review in mid nov to decide the next step forward. Will update here again.

Hi!

For us. We went to Thomson Fertility initially to do the Fertility Test. I did the blood test which is all normal but my dh was diagnosed azoospermic.

He repeated the test and also did a blood test. Blood test was very normal but the SA failed again.

Dr Loh then suggested us to try IVF immediately. But we werent so sure...

We then went to a Urologist in Gleneagles who did some ultrasound but found nothing abnormal and suggested to go for genetics test and then TESA and then IVF. I think it was rather expensive so we didnt do it- as it will be a 100% "private" route.

After months of considering, we then went to NUH.
He did the genetics test, SA and I did my HSG and those blood tests.

We will be having the review in mid nov to decide the next step forward. Will update here again.
For our situation is abit unique :)
Coz im a foreigner and my dh is singaporean..

We went for a fertility check at indonesia, my dh went for SA and im supposed to go for HSG but unfortunately my period came hence all my test was postponed. So SA result came first and diagnose with Azoospermia..

So we decide to do further check at singapore. We get referral to CGH.. did all bloodtest, they didnt suggest abt chromosone test but the rest of the result are normal.. Did SA x 3 and still diagnose with azoospermia..they also did ultrasound at pelvic area and everything are normal.. they suggested to go for TESA but it can only be done at KKH..

We kiv abt 1year plus cause our concern is abt cost as for fertility issue it must registered under wife name and im a foreigner which we cant get any subsidy and must register under private..

So we decided to go to KKH for private appt to discuss our concern and the doc made an exception to register under husband name instead of my name to enjoy the subsidy.. they also told us the only test that has not been done which is chromosone test which is quite exp..

We also told the doctor to harvest the sperm first becoz no point checking myself if my dh dont have any healthy sperm as money is our main concerns..

If they cant harvest any healthy sperm we decide to seek closure on the case since we already did what we could.

Since now we have healthy sperm.. now im not sure what checks need to be done on my side...

What are the test that u have done for urself?

Hi, would also like to know more about TESA procedure, any side effect and all. My husband was diagnosed with azoospermia, his was due to his hormone fsh & lh is high, and borderline low testosterone. He is on hormone therapy now and can take up to 4-12 months before TESA, depending on how fast the body is reacting to the therapy.

Hope to learn more about TESA experiences. thank you

Stay strong!
Sorry hopeforthebest25, i dunno the procedure yet.

His checks have all come back normal so waiting for the appt with urologist n then the date for the procedure before i can give any right answers.

Hopefully Shadowing replies you :)

Yes my husband n I are also preparing for diagnostic micro-dissection testicular sperm extraction, we’ll hope we can find some sperm for ivf too after clomid treatment for almost 3 months.

Stay strong!
Sorry hopeforthebest25, i dunno the procedure yet.

His checks have all come back normal so waiting for the appt with urologist n then the date for the procedure before i can give any right answers.

Hopefully Shadowing replies you :)

Good luck! Good news to hear that its normal, keep us posted

Hi Hopeforthebest25,
Wish ur DH all the best for the hormone therapy!!

There is no side effects for TESA procedure.. nothing to worry about..according to dh, just a slight pain throughout the procedure.. basicly they gave anesthesia around the testicles area, dh is awake throughout the procedure. They will start to harvest on one of the testis first if not successful, they will attempt on the other testis..

For my dh, they only harvest one testis as they manage to harvest successfully.. DH was given few days HL to rest..

One of the things u might take note after the procedure ur dh need to wear normal underwear briefs.. not boxer.. this is to support the testicles..

In terms of payment wise, no upfront payment. They will post u the bill.

We also see cgh urologist since we managed to harvest the sperm as we thought if its a blockage they can help to fix it.. Unfortunately they have never do such procedure before and usually such cases is to go for ivf.. :(

Just to update on the TESA charges
Tesa procedure:
Medisave $678
Cash $364
Sperm storage per year: $240 cash
Sperm freezing: $190 cash

For myself, i have just did all the bloodtest.. not sure what is the result yet.. i guess should be no problem since KKH just called me to make an appt for IVF counselling. They also mention it will cost abt $380..
Honestly its quite expensive for the counselling itself. The counselling is also an open session with the rest of the couples..

We also decided to skip HSG test as we are already going for ivf.. No point to check whether i have a blockage or not.. ,if there is any issue they detected during the hsg, the percentage of successful ivf will drop slightly.. Regardless the percentage of successful ivf, we would still go for IVF.

Tomorrow we will be going for the ivf couselling and we plan to start the ivf on January..

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.. Wish both of u all the best!!

Hi Hopeforthebest25,
Wish ur DH all the best for the hormone therapy!!

There is no side effects for TESA procedure.. nothing to worry about..according to dh, just a slight pain throughout the procedure.. basicly they gave anesthesia around the testicles area, dh is awake throughout the procedure. They will start to harvest on one of the testis first if not successful, they will attempt on the other testis..

For my dh, they only harvest one testis as they manage to harvest successfully.. DH was given few days HL to rest..

One of the things u might take note after the procedure ur dh need to wear normal underwear briefs.. not boxer.. this is to support the testicles..

In terms of payment wise, no upfront payment. They will post u the bill.

We also see cgh urologist since we managed to harvest the sperm as we thought if its a blockage they can help to fix it.. Unfortunately they have never do such procedure before and usually such cases is to go for ivf.. :(

Just to update on the TESA charges
Tesa procedure:
Medisave $678
Cash $364
Sperm storage per year: $240 cash
Sperm freezing: $190 cash

For myself, i have just did all the bloodtest.. not sure what is the result yet.. i guess should be no problem since KKH just called me to make an appt for IVF counselling. They also mention it will cost abt $380..
Honestly its quite expensive for the counselling itself. The counselling is also an open session with the rest of the couples..

We also decided to skip HSG test as we are already going for ivf.. No point to check whether i have a blockage or not.. ,if there is any issue they detected during the hsg, the percentage of successful ivf will drop slightly.. Regardless the percentage of successful ivf, we would still go for IVF.

Tomorrow we will be going for the ivf couselling and we plan to start the ivf on January..

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.. Wish both of u all the best!!

Thank you! I just shared your post with my DH, he was so relieved to hear that there is no side effect.

Hope all the IVF procedure will go smoothly for you!

Yes my husband n I are also preparing for diagnostic micro-dissection testicular sperm extraction, we’ll hope we can find some sperm for ivf too after clomid treatment for almost 3 months.
Lets keep each other posted on the outcome.. Wish u all the best!!

Thanks for the sharing ladies, it meant a lot for couples who undergo azoospermia. Let’s pray for miracle.

I just went for IVF counseling.. And we are quite down as throughout the IVF charges will be under private rate no longer under subsidy.. :(

During our past consultation is under DH name so that can enjoy subsidy and during that period doctor told us to prepare to pay ard 5 to 6k cash for IVF...

But now they said, we must change to private patient. They claimed last time for for investigation on fertility issue they can make exception to dh name.. But when come to IVF they have to change to private patient.. The cash portion we need to prepare now is between 6k to 11k cash..

We are now considering whether to go for IVF or not.. :(

My advice is go for it, because ur dh has extracted the sperm out right, money can earn again but time wait for no one, the younger u r the higher chance of success. just borrow from family or relative if u have financial concern.

Ya agree you should go for it since DH already extracted the sperm, feels like you are halfway through it and its a waste to give up. Hope you can get a solution for the financial concern, you still have time right the sperm freezing is for 1 year?

Shadowing : would u be able to use the government grants? Any money is good money , hope it still helps and your ivf will be successful :) keep the hopes up!!!

The rest of the ladies, lets not give up. 2020 will be better in our ttc journey! :)

Hi everyone, DH just went to do sperm analysis test yesterday and found that he has terato-asthenozoospermia and severe Oligozoospermia. Does anyone know what this means? Does he need to do blood test as I see that some of you have done LH FSH test for DH? Thank you

Hi, does anyone know if additional genetic tests are routinely done before mTESE? I saw a few of you did, but our dr didn't mention this, just recommended the procedure based on LH, FSH and testosterone.. thanks!

Hi, does anyone know if additional genetic tests are routinely done before mTESE? I saw a few of you did, but our dr didn't mention this, just recommended the procedure based on LH, FSH and testosterone.. thanks!

Hello there. We did LH, FSH & testosterone test. Then it came back that the FSH level is elevated.
Our doc then recommended the y microdeletion test to determine the cause of the azoospermia.

Hope this helps!

Hi everyone, DH just went to do sperm analysis test yesterday and found that he has terato-asthenozoospermia and severe Oligozoospermia. Does anyone know what this means? Does he need to do blood test as I see that some of you have done LH FSH test for DH? Thank you

Yes, usually after SA reveals some abnormality (which in your hb's case is low count and motility), doc will recommend the blood test to check FSH and testosterone. This is done to determine if they can find the cause of the low count and motility and treat it accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Back