Stopping Lactation with dostinex

Chris88

Can anyone help me on this?
I am struggling with stopping milk production.
I used to pump or latch baby once every 3 hours, continued for almost 7 months.
Recently I tried to pump once every 5 hours but my milk volume instead of dropping, remained the same.
I am so tired of this so I went to get med from gynae.
Gynae prescribed dostinex, 1/2 tablet 2 times a day for 2 days.
Today is 3rd day after taking, but I feel my breasts engorged with lumps.
If I do not express or pump out, I feel terrible.
When will the milk production stop? Is so frustrating.

Can anyone help me on this?
I am struggling with stopping milk production.
I used to pump or latch baby once every 3 hours, continued for almost 7 months.
Recently I tried to pump once every 5 hours but my milk volume instead of dropping, remained the same.
I am so tired of this so I went to get med from gynae.
Gynae prescribed dostinex, 1/2 tablet 2 times a day for 2 days.
Today is 3rd day after taking, but I feel my breasts engorged with lumps.
If I do not express or pump out, I feel terrible.
When will the milk production stop? Is so frustrating.
Hi ,

Following this thread cause need to know. Currently engorged and have clogged duct.

Hi ,

Following this thread cause need to know. Currently engorged and have clogged duct.

Hi,

I think you should get cabergoline (dostinex) from your gynae straight.
It will ease your problem if you just give birth not long ago.
Medicine will be effective in 5 days time once you eat. It will reduce or stop the BM depending how long
you been breastfeeding. But you cannot feed baby with this breast milk once you taken the medicine.
Toxic to baby.
And use lots of cold cabbage on the breast area.. to stop the engorgement.

For clogged duct, have to massage...
But if hard rock breasts, I think you have to engage ppl to massage.
Painful but have to endure it.

But according to gynae and lactation nurse, you still have to pump out some to relieve yourself from engorgement.

Hey, I took dostinex 2 times a day for 2 days (Day 1 and Day 2). Engorgement was horrible on from Day 1 to Day 3 as I tried to stick to the duration btwn expression (4-5hrs) and only expressed for comfort. Today is Day 4 and the engorgement is less severe/painful now though there are still lumps, which I try not to over-massage to remove when expressing. Hv been using cabbage leaves n cold compress and drinking No More Milk Tea on an ad hoc basis, so not sure if cabbage leaves and the tea were effective in decreasing supply. One boob is producing dbl the milk volume than the other boob so now they are lopsided as one side seems to be drying up faster than the other. I doubt the milk supply will cut that quickly since it had been established for 3 weeks alr. Will wait for at least a week and continue with the process. Update soon.

Hey, I took dostinex 2 times a day for 2 days (Day 1 and Day 2). Engorgement was horrible on from Day 1 to Day 3 as I tried to stick to the duration btwn expression (4-5hrs) and only expressed for comfort. Today is Day 4 and the engorgement is less severe/painful now though there are still lumps, which I try not to over-massage to remove when expressing. Hv been using cabbage leaves n cold compress and drinking No More Milk Tea on an ad hoc basis, so not sure if cabbage leaves and the tea were effective in decreasing supply. One boob is producing dbl the milk volume than the other boob so now they are lopsided as one side seems to be drying up faster than the other. I doubt the milk supply will cut that quickly since it had been established for 3 weeks alr. Will wait for at least a week and continue with the process. Update soon.
Hi, do you have an update? I am currently on day 2 of dostinex and also had previously been breastfeeding for 3 weeks. My breasts are engorged and painful and I have been hand pumping for comfort. I would love to have an idea of what to expect over the next week. Thanks!

Hi, do you have an update? I am currently on day 2 of dostinex and also had previously been breastfeeding for 3 weeks. My breasts are engorged and painful and I have been hand pumping for comfort. I would love to have an idea of what to expect over the next week. Thanks!

I continued to hand express minimally from Day 5-7, every 4-5 hrs, just to ease the engorgement pain. By Day 8/9 or so I could drag 6-7 hrs, and even get through the night w/o expressing, n the amt I had to express also decreased. The engorgement will gradually subside as long as u don't over massage or express too much.

I just would like to share my journey of taking Dostinex as I felt there aren't much info on the Internet. I hope I could help any mummys who are taking Dostinex, to feel not alone!

I'm on my 3rd Day now.. my dosage is 2 tablets, 1/2 a pill intake, twice a day. I have been pumping exclusively for my baby girl for 6months.

Currently still having engorgement, not as jialiat as my first 2 days but still very uncomfortable with the lumps here n there.

I was told not to Pump at all, but it was horrible as my milk supply was considered a lot while I was pumping. So I heck and pump out some to relieve myself of the engorgement . I pumped for about 12 to 14mins for 2 breasts, my usual pumping sessions before was 30 to 40mins, with about 320ml every 5 hourly.

Trust me, u will feel better, I can feel my breasts are still full with the milk, but not so tight and warm. I will update again, hopefully I can get to totally weaned off within the week.

And apparently the cold cabbage therapy did help, but I still feel using cold compress would be much better. I used a handkerchief, actually my baby girl's Muslin handkerchief to wrapped around a small ice pack. Then i rub it around my breasts, avoiding the areola and nipples, it is so much more soothing and bearable with the engorgement. I did it every now and then after I pump and relieve some milk.

And for those who wanna get the medication, you can get a GP letter from any private clinics or polyclinics, then proceed to pharmacy and purchase it.

But not all pharmacy actually carries the medication, coz of the short shelf life , only some pharmacies carry it. I know bigger ones such as Unity at Vivocity and harboufront do have it, Great world city & Tampines Mall as well. I've tried my luck at Watsons but no, they do not carry it. Cost is about $57 for 2pills.

Definitely cost more if you get it straight from your gynae, as the consultation fees is already higher at the gynae's.

I hope I can help anyone out there who thought of taking Dostinex or intend to. Nothing to be ashamed of! And do whats best for your mental well being

Shall update again!!!

I just would like to share my journey of taking Dostinex as I felt there aren't much info on the Internet. I hope I could help any mummys who are taking Dostinex, to feel not alone!

I'm on my 3rd Day now.. my dosage is 2 tablets, 1/2 a pill intake, twice a day. I have been pumping exclusively for my baby girl for 6months.

Currently still having engorgement, not as jialiat as my first 2 days but still very uncomfortable with the lumps here n there.

I was told not to Pump at all, but it was horrible as my milk supply was considered a lot while I was pumping. So I heck and pump out some to relieve myself of the engorgement . I pumped for about 12 to 14mins for 2 breasts, my usual pumping sessions before was 30 to 40mins, with about 320ml every 5 hourly.

Trust me, u will feel better, I can feel my breasts are still full with the milk, but not so tight and warm. I will update again, hopefully I can get to totally weaned off within the week.

And apparently the cold cabbage therapy did help, but I still feel using cold compress would be much better. I used a handkerchief, actually my baby girl's Muslin handkerchief to wrapped around a small ice pack. Then i rub it around my breasts, avoiding the areola and nipples, it is so much more soothing and bearable with the engorgement. I did it every now and then after I pump and relieve some milk.

And for those who wanna get the medication, you can get a GP letter from any private clinics or polyclinics, then proceed to pharmacy and purchase it.

But not all pharmacy actually carries the medication, coz of the short shelf life , only some pharmacies carry it. I know bigger ones such as Unity at Vivocity and harboufront do have it, Great world city & Tampines Mall as well. I've tried my luck at Watsons but no, they do not carry it. Cost is about $57 for 2pills.

Definitely cost more if you get it straight from your gynae, as the consultation fees is already higher at the gynae's.

I hope I can help anyone out there who thought of taking Dostinex or intend to. Nothing to be ashamed of! And do whats best for your mental well being

Shall update again!!!
Just wondering if you have an update :) I have taken my first two doses of Dostinex but still having to hand express 80ml every 4 hours, baby is 8 weeks. I’m so afraid it won’t work…I was hoping to wean completely within 4-5 days.

Just wondering if you have an update :) I have taken my first two doses of Dostinex but still having to hand express 80ml every 4 hours, baby is 8 weeks. I’m so afraid it won’t work…I was hoping to wean completely within 4-5 days.

Hi Mummy, the complete weaning process takes some time, about at least 2 weeks. So prepare yourself mentally k? 4-5 days might be a little too rushed physically for the body. It will work, so you just need to give it time. Perhaps gradually expressing less and less as well as more just for comfort,

I’m also currently on dostinex, took it 5y ago with my #1 as well. Tried to take bromocriptine, the cheaper alternative, but too much side effects on me. My prescription is a little different probably because I’ve been bf for 6mth plus. I was prescribed 8pills of 0.5mg to take over a month. 2 pills each week.

My last hand expression was 10+pm in the shower and then just at almost 5am. You can try to gradually drag and only express when engorged so as not to get mastitis. I recall from last round that I needed to try keeping the milk expressed below 50ml, but this round I’m just going real slow as mine’s over a month.

Basically it works by reducing the prolactin hormone in the body. So just give yourself some time to adjust k!

Hi Mummy, the complete weaning process takes some time, about at least 2 weeks. So prepare yourself mentally k? 4-5 days might be a little too rushed physically for the body. It will work, so you just need to give it time. Perhaps gradually expressing less and less as well as more just for comfort,

I’m also currently on dostinex, took it 5y ago with my #1 as well. Tried to take bromocriptine, the cheaper alternative, but too much side effects on me. My prescription is a little different probably because I’ve been bf for 6mth plus. I was prescribed 8pills of 0.5mg to take over a month. 2 pills each week.

My last hand expression was 10+pm in the shower and then just at almost 5am. You can try to gradually drag and only express when engorged so as not to get mastitis. I recall from last round that I needed to try keeping the milk expressed below 50ml, but this round I’m just going real slow as mine’s over a month.

Basically it works by reducing the prolactin hormone in the body. So just give yourself some time to adjust k!
Thank you <3 I was only prescribed two pills to take half every 12 hours. I hope it works.
do you mean keep milk expressed below 50ml for each breast or in total? Currently just beginning Day 3, still hand expressing 70-80ml every 5 hours. I’ve heard of some women being told not to pump or hand express at all but I’m too afraid I’ll get mastitis. Doctor told me just hand express a little bit for comfort only

Anyone has update after taking Dositex.

Today is day 3 after taking medicine with swollen breast and engorged with lumps. I was told not to pump. Has been putting frozen cabbage every few hours and milk still drip nonstop. Anyone has same experience?

May i know hw long will it take to subside.

Feel like dying here..pls help.

How long does it work for u ?

Thank you <3 I was only prescribed two pills to take half every 12 hours. I hope it works.
do you mean keep milk expressed below 50ml for each breast or in total? Currently just beginning Day 3, still hand expressing 70-80ml every 5 hours. I’ve heard of some women being told not to pump or hand express at all but I’m too afraid I’ll get mastitis. Doctor told me just hand express a little bit for comfort only
Does it work for you eventually ? Pls share your experience !

Shall update again!!!
Did u manage to resolve it within a week ?

hello mummies, i started taking dostinex ytd and was told not to pump at all but it’s really uncomfortable and i’m afraid it will lead to mastitis (i have recurring mastitis issue), can anyone advise me if i could pump to relieve? and how long does it takes for the drug to take effect? i breastfed for 3 months plus.

hello mummies, i started taking dostinex ytd and was told not to pump at all but it’s really uncomfortable and i’m afraid it will lead to mastitis (i have recurring mastitis issue), can anyone advise me if i could pump to relieve? and how long does it takes for the drug to take effect? i breastfed for 3 months plus.

hi mamab_, I’m in a similar situation as you. Also recurring mastitis. Just took my 2nd dose of drug. How did it go for you? I tried to pump for relive and using cold cabbage leaves/ cold compress

hi!
Wanted to ask, how long does it take for the medicine to work to wean off.
I kept having mastitis, feeling sick all the time. I think it’s time to stop BF.

Hi mummies any updates to this? I just took Dostinex last Friday. Pumped and hand express the first 4 days to relive engorgement but stopped on day 5. I’m now very engorged and leaky. Will this end soon?

Sharing with you my experience with dostinex - it took about 1 week for the engorged feeling to stop. However my breasts only felt back to normal after 2 weeks. Any lumps that occur with the engorgement will also disappear after 2-3 weeks, from my experience. So you don't need to worry about new lumps forming. The more supply you have, and the longer you've been pumping or latching; the longer it will take for your milk supply to stop. For myself I was low supply and only latch/pumped for 2 months before taking dostinex. I did not pump any more after taking dostinex. If you pump, it will take longer to dry up.

Anything else you may PM me. Take care ladies, hope the engorgement feeling has ended for you.

Sharing with you my experience with dostinex - it took about 1 week for the engorged feeling to stop. However my breasts only felt back to normal after 2 weeks. Any lumps that occur with the engorgement will also disappear after 2-3 weeks, from my experience. So you don't need to worry about new lumps forming. The more supply you have, and the longer you've been pumping or latching; the longer it will take for your milk supply to stop. For myself I was low supply and only latch/pumped for 2 months before taking dostinex. I did not pump any more after taking dostinex. If you pump, it will take longer to dry up.

Anything else you may PM me. Take care ladies, hope the engorgement feeling has ended for you.
Thanks for your info, mommy. Did you hand express while waiting for the supply to dry up? My boobs feel very engorged and painful, so I have been hand expressing minimal amount every 3 hours for comfort. I am also having fever due to the engorged breast (was worried about mastitis), but apparently it is my body response to engorged boobs. I am on Day 2 taking dostinex now.

Sharing my experience here for mummies who are, will be, or considering taking dostinex to stop lactation. I am 3 weeks postpartum and after muliple clogged ducts alongside with fever in a week, decided to give up on BF and took dostinex. Day 1 was horrible and the worst of all. I took it at 9 am in the morning after breakfast and last pump of emptying both breats. I was told by the nurse to hold it as much as possible without pumping or hand expression, only when too engorged, then let out a bit for comfort. I only hand expressed around 6pm that day. Breasts were hard rock and so engorged, painful. Immediately, I had high fever around 38 even with paracetamol. Midnight was hell, I shivered so much with high fever and engorged breasts. Even so, I had no choice, but to get up midnight and hand expressed for relief. I was feeling a lot better on Day 2, still taking paracetamol and finishing 2nd dose of dostinex. In the evening, fever started to subside and breasts were no longer as engorged. Less pain and I could drag hand expressed for 4 hours (previously was 2.5 - 3 hours due to high fever). I noticed as my breasts softened, fever also went down. Today is Day 3 and breasts are much better, engorged feeling only every 5 to 6 hourly now and expressed very minimally, like only few drops. I would try sleep through the night.

For those planning to take dostinex or taking dostinex and end up with fever, dont panic.. if there is no red streak on breasts, highly likely its not mastitis and take dostinex with paracetamol. As your breasts became less engorged, fever would come down - from my experience.

Before I started dostinex, i prepared myself to deal with engorgement for a week or more, but thankfully the med worked faster on me. That said, my BF journey was only 2.5 week long and my supply was average.

All the best to mummies going through this experience!

I am currently on dostinex first 0.5mg, prescribed by an understandable female GP(whitecoat). Though at the end of the teleconsultation, she asked me to think twice before taking the drug.. I think at one point, give up means give up when engorgement and clogged ducts keep coming back, it affects your mood, daily life, it becomes so stressful to my hubby and of course, my baby can feel my feeling. Have did my best in past 27days. The bm i produced may have stress hormone, which is not good for him.

I will update again along this weaning journey. Stay cheers mummies!

I am currently on dostinex first 0.5mg, prescribed by an understandable female GP(whitecoat). Though at the end of the teleconsultation, she asked me to think twice before taking the drug.. I think at one point, give up means give up when engorgement and clogged ducts keep coming back, it affects your mood, daily life, it becomes so stressful to my hubby and of course, my baby can feel my feeling. Have did my best in past 27days. The bm i produced may have stress hormone, which is not good for him.

I will update again along this weaning journey. Stay cheers mummies!
25 Feb 8pm - 1st dose of dostinex..
03 Mar, day 8 after taking the drug. Had masseur to clear the clogged ducts on 29 Feb.. today boobs are soft, still leaky but not much. not pumping at all, letting the body to absorb back the milk

Hi thanks for sharing, did you pump or hand expressed at all during the 8days?

Also did your masseuse did a regular lactation massage to clear your breast fully? As I’m wondering if it may overstimulate the breast, although it is a good idea to clear the clogs.

Hi thanks for sharing, did you pump or hand expressed at all during the 8days?

Also did your masseuse did a regular lactation massage to clear your breast fully? As I’m wondering if it may overstimulate the breast, although it is a good idea to clear the clogs.
i did pump 3x max a day just to clear the milk. breasts got too swollen that will injure the cells.tissue, so clear half, not clear fully. Day 22 now, checked by lactation consultant, still hv the residual milk. cold compress to relieve the 'full' feeling. advised not to touch breast to avoid any stimulation.

Back