Steroids to mature baby's lungs?

KD12345

Hi everyone

I'm 26 weeks. At my last appointment Dr suggested that we consider having steroids to mature the baby's lungs at 28 weeks just in case I go into premature labour.

My questions are:
Is there any side effects of these injections?
When is the optimum time to take them?
Is there anything I should know?

My history :

This is my first preganancy with twins.
My cervix at 25 weeks is 34 mm/3.4 cm with internal OS closed
My Height is small 149 cm
No Contractions
No bleeding
No Cramps

thanks girls xx

Hey thanks for reply...

Just want to check wat is the optimum time to take them.

I read somewhere it is good if you deliver after 48 hrs and before 7 days after taking steroid injection (Betamethasone).

My doubt if I went beyond 7 days after injection (Which I believe should be the case since i don't see any preterm labour symptoms) do I need to take another round of injections or what will be the impact if I deliver at full term.

Sorry was asking these questions but i want to know if someone really had these steroid during pregnancy and what is their experience.

Hey thanks for reply...

Just want to check wat is the optimum time to take them.

I read somewhere it is good if you deliver after 48 hrs and before 7 days after taking steroid injection (Betamethasone).

My doubt if I went beyond 7 days after injection (Which I believe should be the case since i don't see any preterm labour symptoms) do I need to take another round of injections or what will be the impact if I deliver at full term.

Sorry was asking these questions but i want to know if someone really had these steroid during pregnancy and what is their experience.

My Sister in law took it at 30 weeks cause her water bag started leaking. It was a precaution. She managed to bed rest and deliver at 36 weeks plus. Maybe you don’t need to take the jab now since you have no symptoms and your cervical length is good. My Sister in law is pregnant with her second kid and her cervical length is 2.5cm. No jabs given and she is at week 25.

Hi, steroid injections are usually prescribed by dr to help baby's lungs to mature faster. In the case of a premature birth may happen, it is dr's 1st call.
I was given this when I had bleeding at 28weeks and during observation my cervix had opened to 4cm, thus given the steroids shot at this point and another when I had opened to 7cm. My little miracle was birthed at 28weeks 4days. She stayed in hospital close to 2mths. But she is healthy, thus discharged at 8mths gestational age. And now, at 7years later. Thriving with other 'normal' kids. Hope this helps

Back