Starting tuition at 4 years old considered okie?

furbee

Mummies daddies, anyone with kids ard 3-4yrs already started attending tuition classes on top of their normal school?
My kid cant speak mandarin at all, n was thinking of enrolling her for classes, but also afraid she cant cope with her long hours of childcare, n dont wan to affect her play time during weekends. Any advices?
TIA

My LO switched from 100% Channel 8 to 95% Channel 5 after she started childcare at 2yo. In our attempts to get her to speak more mandarin, we sent her to a CC-operated "Chinese Drama" class starting this year. Well, there isn't any drama teaching. The teacher distributes photocopied chinese children songs (er-ge) and makes the kids read after her. After that, they play some activity-based games, eg imitate different animals and walk around the room. The kids make it a point to speak Chinese during the 1hr class. We noticed that the LO speaks slightly more Chinese now. We balance the hours by fetching her from childcare earlier at 2pm, nap at home and send her for the 6pm class on Friday nights. Its manageable thus far. Given their young age, we wanted to nurture interest and not scare her from learning.

And, we read to her regularly in Chinese. She usually borrows ~3 Chinese books and ~5 English book/DVDs whenever we visit the library.

My friends with P1 kids also recommended Beri Good (not sure if i got the name right). We'll be considering that for perhaps K2 for Hanyu Pinyin foundation. For now, we just want her to have fun :)

If u usually speak to her in english, try translating to her into mandarin at the same time. Can let them watch some chinese cartoon on weekend morning. My P2 still don't speak mandarin but she does understand n chinese is surprising quite ok. I can't really teach her coz my chinese is lousy. My 3 yr old also don't understand 99% of mandarin. Don't worry too much.

My LO switched from 100% Channel 8 to 95% Channel 5 after she started childcare at 2yo. In our attempts to get her to speak more mandarin, we sent her to a CC-operated "Chinese Drama" class starting this year. Well, there isn't any drama teaching. The teacher distributes photocopied chinese children songs (er-ge) and makes the kids read after her. After that, they play some activity-based games, eg imitate different animals and walk around the room. The kids make it a point to speak Chinese during the 1hr class. We noticed that the LO speaks slightly more Chinese now. We balance the hours by fetching her from childcare earlier at 2pm, nap at home and send her for the 6pm class on Friday nights. Its manageable thus far. Given their young age, we wanted to nurture interest and not scare her from learning.

And, we read to her regularly in Chinese. She usually borrows ~3 Chinese books and ~5 English book/DVDs whenever we visit the library.

My friends with P1 kids also recommended Beri Good (not sure if i got the name right). We'll be considering that for perhaps K2 for Hanyu Pinyin foundation. For now, we just want her to have fun :)
Yes having foundation for hypy is essential as P1 already start chinese spelling with hypy. Im glad that I let my girl take hypy foundation when she was in K2.

I personally feel that kids aged 3-4 yrs old are still young and they should enjoy their childhood first. However i understand your worries therefore either one of you (yourself or your hubby) speak Mandarin to her and another party speak to her in English. By doing this, it will help her to improve & strengthen both languages. Other than doing this, you can read Chinese storybook or watch Chinese movies with her, it might help.

They will be tested HYPY in P1 so if don't let them at least have a basic foundation in K2, they will not be able to catch up. The lesson my girl took when she was in K2 is just 2 terms(20 lessons) of HYPY introduction. Let them have a better understanding of what HYPY is.

Hi Fellow Mums!

Inspired by my own newborn, I recently set up new company and would like to gather some feedback. Our company is offering a monthly membership service for parents to send their babies and toddlers (aged 0 to 6 years old) to different playgroups and enrichment classes across areas such as sports, music, art, and languages . Our partners are established playgroups and enrichment class providers in Singapore.

For a membership fee of about $150 to $200, parents can send their toddlers to 4 to 5 classes at our partners' centers for free.

What do you think of such a concept ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks ! :)

Hi Mummies,

I am also planning to send my 4yo son to a Chinese class every Saturday. Any school or course to recommend around Clementi area?

Thanks in advance!
Serenity_Mom

Child should allowes to do what they willing to but under the guide of parents or other adult. You can never force you kid to learn the things he don't like as for he is too young,but you can guide he to build his own interest and tell he to insist.

Back