St. James Church Kindergarten Parents' Club

DeaR MUMMY,

I just called SJCK...they told me that the Q no is 129 now.....what do you think?shall i wait for it? or register with other kindergarten? what do u think of Baker Road Methodist Church Kindergarten? anyone do research of it?

Hihi mummies

I'm also keen to know what the chances are of getting into the kindergarden...i didn't know that we had to register the child so early...can anyone please enlighten us?
thanks
happy.gif

Irene,
Tks for the hp no. Ok let me know too for the Eng praise songs. Thanks! My boy is in pm session.

Agnes/Bbunny
No harm trying if you really think SJCK is good. My boy has a classmate who has over 200 queue no but still got in = ) Personally I've went to Cherie Hearts/NTUC childcare/CS Montessori/Appletree, I still find SJCK is better. The more popular ones but more exp would be Julia Gab, Pat Schoolhse etc.

hi mummies whose kids are in SJCK,

just wanna chk if the curriculum is academic focused? meaning do they have spelling, worksheets, homework, that sorta thing? do they prepare the students sufficiently or even more for P1?

appreciate you sharing your experience! thanks!

hi annie

thanks for the pointer....wah!! you mean 200 over still can get in....got so many drop out? hhmmm.then maybe agnes and i still have a chance....haha...

hope to hear some experiences
happy.gif

Hi Annie,

I have signed DS up for Art and Chinese Speech and Drama. Keke. . wanted to bring him to external ones but frankly speaking, we are very tired during weekends, so I am glad that the school offers these. Really scary. .. 2011 already on waiting list. Last time only need to register 2 yrs in advance, now more than 3 years.

Yanyan,
Yes. . I agree that most household income in SJCK is avg or above. . .but the impt thing is how we bring up our children. Education is for everyone, regardless of poor or rich. A humble character is what I hope to see in my DS.

Ariel,
Yes, I heard from a neighbour that SJCK is good in Maths and English. Chinese only so so. That's the reason why I enrol DS into Chinese Speech and Drama. But funny, in terms of reading, DS is better in Chinese than English.

Agnes,
Heard that Barker Road Methodist Church Kindy also have waiting list. You may want to call up and ask.

Hi Purin, thanks for the info.

I'll be giving birth soon to my second child, looks like I have to register her for Pre-nursery this year else may end up on waiting list ;-)

Maomi
So far my boy only completed a year at PNPG and is in N2 this yr. So what I can say is that based on wat I observed so far, they are not academic focused but they prepare the children well I would say. My boy doesn't have homework but he's able to recognise all the alphabets now in just less than 3 months. I think the teachers really interest them by engaging them thru music, stories, show and tell sessions.

Purin
I signed him up for Eng speech and drama as he's still not so good in expressing his tots and his pronouciation not so clear. I tot of changing his CCA every semster to let him have different exposure. Not sure if this is a good strategy but it's sort of letting him try all sorts of things and let him discover his own interest = ) U gg this Sat for sch's carnival?

Annie,
Yes. Will be going. At first, I was stilling thinking of donating HK for the prizes, but didn't have time to pack them nicely.

We speak English to DS most of the time. So sign him up for Chinese S&D. As for art, haha. . he still can't draw a face properly compared to some of my frens' children. Worried that he can't even draw next time since Art is graded in secondary. So, send him to the one by Artspiration.

You may want to consider at least 2 terms of the same enrichment so that you can gauge better if there is any progress. But for Nursery, not many enrichments to choose from actually.

Hi,

Can I check if there's any mummy who resides in the Eastern part of S'pore? How do u ferry ur child to-and-fro SJCK?

I'v signed my girl for PM Nursery, but due to some unforseen circumstances, I may have problem in ferrying her myself and the school bus doesn't ply my route. Even if I can change her session to AM, I can only send her to school but would have problem in fetching her home coz I'm a FTWM.

Tinsel,
Who will look after your DD when she is not in school? 2 suggestions as follows:

1) Train the caregiver to ferry her.
2) Pay regular taxi driver to ferry her with an adult.

The above was what I did when the school bus driver refused to ferry my kid in his previous school. However, for 2nd method, tpt fees will be very ex per month.

Hi Pompom,

Thanx for ur suggestions but I've already found my solution
happy.gif
The school bus driver is willing to send my girl back to Hougang where I stay, so I've requested my mum (from Ubi) to come to Hougang & receive her when the school bus alights her.

I went online to search for drivers and realised tat I'm not alone....there's quite abit of advert by parents who need transport to ferry their kids. However, after some thots, I still dun feel comfortable leaving my girl in the hands of strangers...I mean who knows what they may do, dun want to leave any chance for regrets...maybe I've heard/read too many horror stories. Luckily, there's my mum
happy.gif

Now my problem is dunno if SJCK will allow me to change to AM session as I've confirmed a place for my girl in PM session...cross my fingers.

Hi Tinsel,
Yes. .. many are not comfortable leaving kids with maids. However, for those who don't have any elderly help like me and can't afford to be a SAHM, will have no choice.

Btw, enrichment classes are after the PM session. So you need to consider if you want to sign your DD up for the classes before changing her to AM session, and since you may have transportation problems again.

Hi PomPom,

Yes, I'm aware of the enrichment programs being conducted in noon....this should not be much of a problem coz I can ferry her back to school in late noon.

My situation's kinda tricky....I can't send/fetch my girl to school at 11+am but I would be available for her in noon. Hence, for PM session, I can only fetch her after school but not send her. My mum takes care of my girl, thus my girl will be at Ubi in the morn and the school bus doesn't ply that route.

Honestly, I have thots abt turning SAHM next year but hubs doubt I can last long...ermm...actually I dun have much faith in myself too...hahahha!!!

Tinsel,
Haha. . .you only have thots abt turning SAHM next year. I have it since last year. But due to the financial crisis, I hold back. Frankly speaking, I dun have much faith in myself too. Thus, we will still have maid for a while if I really turn SAHM.

Hi PomPom,

Ya lo...turning SAHM juz to be a chauffeur to my girl!!! Actually, I cannot imagine myself doing housework too!! Not so much as I can't do, but rather I dunwan to do...hehehhe

I've called SJCK liao and guess wat?!! The person who answered the phone immediately said I may have to requeue.....faintz!!! Then she asked me to speak to Ruth, who in turn asked me to email her the details. Already emailed, now crossing my fingers they'll accede to my request.

re financial crisis: ya, think the situation's really quite bad. I've got friends who have been asked to take no pay leave, so better dun anyhow run.

Hi Tinsel,
Yes. .you need to email Ruth. Keke. . we were the opposite. We changed from AM to PM this yr for Nursery cos I will have to rely on maid to bring DS back to school for enrichment and pay extra for tpt if he remains in AM.

A week after you have emailed, call Ruth to check on the status. She will most prob tell you to call back after XX/XX/09 as she will need to swop with some kids.

Hi PomPom,

Ruth called me liao but said I would have to be put on the waiting list though I've paid the deposit for PM session. However, she assured me she'll look into my case...hopefully, she'll gimme priority lo. BTW, she told me the bus fare is S$250/mth....dunno if its for 1 or 2 way!!! Is this the norm?? I think its ex...

hi everyone
happy.gif

i'm new to this thread. was looking for a thread about SJCK and finally found it!

would like to find out if there are any of you who have your tots registered/on wait list for PNPG in 2010?

for those of u on wait list, how would we know if our tots have gotten a place?

my boy is currently on wait list for PNPG in 2010 PM session. he has a confirmed place for Nursery in 2011. am wondering if i should look for an alternative kindy for 2010 in case he doesn't get a place in SJCK.

most kindergartens should be doing the enrolment exercise during mar-apr period.

you'll receive a mail from SJCK if your child has gotten a place. if there's no news by end-May, you should probably call to clarify.

Hi Charmaine,

My girl is oso on waitlist for PNPG for 2010 but I think very slim chance coz I have juz switched her from PM to AM list, thus gotta queue all over again. She actually has a confirm place in Nursery 2011 PM session, but again gotta requeue due to the switch though I've paid the deposit. Haiz...in short, I think not much chance due to the long waitlist.

Me oso scared she may not get into SJCK, thus have already registered her at Marymount Kindy for PNPG 2010 in early Mar. U had better call those schools which u are keen in to find out when's their registration date.

hi Tinsel and Charmaine,
same here on waitlist for PNPG 2010 PM session,confirmed place for nursery 2011.I was also thinking how do we know if they get in.

hi wenghan
thx for the info!
happy.gif
will look out for the email from SJCK.

tinsel:
oh dear. you have to re-queue cause you're switching? no way you can hold on to ur PM session? so your girl and my boy are same age (born 2007).
happy.gif
hopefully the queue system can work itself out and you can get a place? read from ur earlier post that the bus transport costs $250 to and fro? that's steep! where do you stay?

amanda:
your tot is in the same yr as mine too.
happy.gif

as wenghan said, think we have to just look out for an email from them. and check through your spam messages too...

Hi maine lobster and Amanda
My dd is also born in 2007 and has a confirmed place next year for the PNPG 2010 am session. Nice to meet u guys!
I have not receive any news from St james yet. Will call them in April if still no news.

Hi maine lobster,

I wish I dun have to switch too but I dun have anyone to bring her to school at 11am. I've requested for 1-way only from SJCK back to Hougang, didn't get the quote from the bus co-ordinator. Was only informed abt the bus fee by Ruth of SJCK but then dunno if its for 1 or 2 way, either way still steep lo. Worse scenario is to send my girl to Tiong Bahru where my mil stays but really dunwan to trouble her coz she's quite old. Sianz....nothing is firm yet, no point thinking so much.

Tinsel_elf:
The standard one-way monthly bus fare for SJCK is only $10 less than the two-way fare as stated in the parent's handbook (my girl in PNPG now, taking school bus). So, I guess one-way fare to Hougang should be $240 for you, guess its due to the diversion in bus route in order to cater to your Hougang drop off.
$240 seems pretty steep, but I guess it's due to distance from the school itself, plus the bus having to make BIG detour for your girl.
Have you considered putting your girl in a school nearer your home?
Sounds like she may be the first to be picked up and last to be dropped off if taking the bus. For a very young child, she'll be spending alot of time travelling to and fro daily.

I live pretty near the school (about a 5 minute drive away) and the monthly fare is $80. Already my girl is second to be picked up along the route and second last dropped off.
School starts at 11.30am but bus picks her at 10.20am. School ends at 2.30pm, bus drops her off at 3 plus!
She's usually knocked out asleep (aunty has to carry her out still asleep to hand over to my mum) by the time she reaches home after having been lulled round n round the vicinity dropping the other kids, but no choice for me, since I'm FTWM too.

Hi vanny,

Tat's the funny part....I too thot that my girl would be the last to alight, thus I had asked Edwin(the bus co-ordinator) what time my girl will reach Hougang if she finishes school at 11.15am but he told me my girl will reach home at abt 12p.m.!!! I asked him how come so early, but he said its around this time after dropping the AMK children. Since my girl can reach home less than an hour after school, I thot the bus fare should be reasonable lo, thus didn't ask for the exact quote.

june bride, amanda:
nice to meet you both.
happy.gif

my boy is born in jan 2007.

tinsel elf:
you're rite.. think there's really not much point for us to think too much about it right now. cause we don't know what's going to happen yet.
happy.gif
wait to see how it goes lor...
read from your earlier posts that you're intending to be a SAHM? or that you're already a SAHM?
happy.gif

Hi maine lobster,

Hahha...juz a thot la. Me still a FTWM now...but have serious thots abt turning SAHM maybe next year...see how

Hi Tinsel,
Actually $250 is reasonable to me. My boy ex-school bus driver charges $960/term for 2-way from my place near Beauty World to Newton. The distance is definitely nearer vs from your place at Hougang to SJCK.

Currently we pay $130 from my place to SJCK. If one way, will be $110. School bus picks my son at 10.35am and he arrives home at 2.55pm. He is the 5th one to be dropped of (keke. . I took the school bus together with him on his first day, so I know exactly the route the bus takes)

hihi, my boy born in 2008 is on waiting list for PNPG in 2011 PM session. also currently worried about the transport as I am a FTWM as well. what happens when there are no bus routes?

anyone living in bukit panjang, or boon keng and send their kids to sjck?

Maomi,
I am opposite Beauty World. You can always call up Ms Leow listed in SJCK's website to enquire.

Actually will be good if can car pull.

Hi PomPom,

S$960/term??? Faintz...how come so ex when ur journey is not long? So mine's reasonable? Hehehe...maybe I dunno the market rate la coz never go find out. In any case, I'll try to bargain for a better price if my girl is accepted in SJCK.

Thanx for ur feedback
happy.gif

Tinsel,

Keke. . $250 to me is reasonable. Cos the $960/term works out to be $12/trip cos I also paid for an adult to follow as DS was the first to be picked up and he ate breakfast on the school bus. If I send DS to school myself in a cab, max only $14 and journey only 20-25mins. Journey lasted at least an hr when my DS took the school bus.

I called Ms Leow as her name was listed in the website. She referred me to her brother as he is the driver for my area.

Hi Pompom, that's quite "near" bukit panjang...as in, at least i know where! =p So its not too far from sjck? i was thinking harding rd was quite a ulu place.

qn on how is the curriculum n timetable like. any homework n stuff like dat? learning writing? spelling dictation etc?

Maomi,
Keke. . maybe we can post your question on homework to mummies with kids in K1 and K2. Mine only in Nursery.

Harding Road is near to Orchard. To me, it's a 世外桃源. Even my aunt who went to the carnival told me that it's very difficult to find a school in such location nowadays. Keke. . must ask them to treasure the time that they have in SJCK cos when it comes to P1, definitely won't be in similar environment.

PomPom,

Oh! haha then how is the curriculum for nursery? Coz I saw kids learning to brush teeth n all...v cute u know!

Yah I love the space and outdoors, just abit afraid of dengue. mabbe I worry too much. =)

Maomi,

Just to let u know. The school bus does go to your area. Just saw the school bus additional charges (based on the route) for sending the kids home after enrichment. Bt. Panjang is stated on the list.

Curriculum for Nursery. . .keke. ..I am a lousy mother cos working full time and reach home quite late. DS is with maid most of the time. Unsure if I am giving you the correct information.

Nursery has compulsory readers and story books that we need to purchase. The teachers will also give out a list of words that the kids will be learning in a term for Chinese. Same goes for English, a list is given to tell you which phonetic sounds they will learn and what to bring to school to encourage the kids to be proactive.

There are simple workbooks that the kids need to complete every term for the 3 subjects. All the story books/readers/workbooks will be returned to the kids upon completion.

Every time the teacher returns his story books, I will ask DS to read to me. So far he's ok. Can read every sentence. Keke. .I think may be the teacher went through so many times and he had memorised them.

As for enrichment classes, they offer English/Chinese Speech and Drama, Art, Soccer and Chinese lessons conducted by the enrichment centre near the school.

Oh yes, starting this year, Kindermusik is also incorporated into the 3-hr curriculum for pre-nursery and nursery. The lessons are FOC but 80% of the students in the class must purchase the music pack. I would say this is quite a good deal.

Hope the above is accurate and helpful to the mummies here.

Hi Pom Pom,

Thanks for sharing with us the details of the nursery class.
my son will be joining the pm class next year. hello to all the mummies here!

wonder if anyone knows if the school bus route covers bishan area?

hi mummies,
my girl is on the wait list for pnpg 2010 pm session but confirmed place in 2011 nursery am session.Wanted to put her wait list for am session but it's way too long,Is this common and will it affect the child in anyway?

PomPom: Thanx alot for sharing!! Now we know better
happy.gif
Heard from one mummy that her son does not have any homework, right?

maomi: can put mozzie patch ma...i put it on my girl everytime we go out.

Tanglin: Since the school bus covers AMK and even my place at Hougang, Bishan should be covered too. U can call the bus co-ordinator to find out...pls share the figure for bus fare if u have.

Amanda: I'm a good example....now stuck...my girl was on waitlist for PNPG 2010PM but has a confirmed place in Nursery 2011 PM. When I requested to switch both the PNPG & Nursery to AM, I was told I gotta requeue though I've paid the deposit for Nursery in 2011. SJCK is famous for their lengendary waitlist. Its best u have some kinda backup plan in case she's not accepted in PNPG.

hi Tinsel,
thanks for sharing.for me,if she doesn't get it,then we'll just continue the GUG classes that she goes too.Maybe instead of 2 times she'll go 3 times.but i do hope she'll get in still so at least i can have some time to myself.

Hi

I am looking for St James Kindergarten school jacket (L/XL), BN school T-shirt and child raincoat for my 4-year old girl.

Any parents who has any to sell, please PM me.

Thanks.

Hi mummies
Just got a letter to inform that my dd has a place in pnpg 2010 am session. Anyone's dd or ds going to the am session as well?

Hi mummies
Just got a letter to inform that my dd has a place in pnpg 2010 am session. Anyone's dd or ds going to the am session as well? Hope to make some frens here ;-)

Hi mummies,
I have 2 sets of preloved of gal uniforms to exchange for 1 big pack of mamypoko L diapers.
happy.gif

Whoever got in, its a great choice of a kindy. The teachers are really nice.
happy.gif

Back