Skinny kids

candy_hmg

my son is 2 and half yrs old, ht 95cm, wt 13 kg. but look very skinny. he refuse to eat when im not around as i have to work sometimes. even when i feed him in the afternoon, he only eats very little. all my relatives saw him juz keep saying he very skinny. i see his arms and tights is so thin oso. i feed him on multivitamins with lysine and pediasure but it all doesnt hlp! pls advice wat can i do to increase his appetite!! thanx

Hi candy,

It could be due to his stomach hving difficulty digesting food and he may not feel good. Is his stomach bloated? TCM can help his condition. My 16.5 mth old son also look skinny, as his stomach is not good. Now he is seeking treatment at Yu Guo, but TCM takes a long time to take effect so hv to be patient. Most importantly, yr son's digestion must be good and it'll absorb all the nutrients from his food.

What food are you giving him? It's better to give him soft porridge as it's easier to digest. You can cook si shen powder in his porridge, this helps to improve his appetite. You hv to be careful in the food you give, don't give food that are difficult to digest as it can weaken his stomach in the long run.

Maybe you would like to share what his diet is like. Don't give too much multivitamin at a young age, as it'll add a load on the liver cos vitamin supplements are not natural and contain chemical additivies. It's better to obtain nutrients from food.

dun tink he is not feeling well. coz he is still very active. i check with one of the GP and he says its bad habit bad behavior. they check his stomach its not bloated oso. now i try to cook soft porridge and chop all vegetables into very small pieces juz in case he is too lazy to bite. which tcm u go? izzit expensive?

thanx for replying oso.

hi.. my son, coming to 5 this year, is also very skinny.. it's like watching a pair of chopsticks(legs) skipping whenever he runs. Brought him to TCM previously, mainly for his asthma problem... see improvement for the asthma, nothing on his weight gain; and I find the cost not cheap too as need regular visits(each trip is $30+). So i gave up trying to make him gain weight, instead i focus on giving him more balance diet, and healthy snacks in between, and oso bring him out to play in the field more often (doc say morning sun is good).

I go to Yu Guo, cost abt $37 for 3 days medicine and tuina. It'll be better to diagnose his condition. Does he take a lot of sweets? As this may affect his appetite, it'll be good for you to find out the cause. Does he move his bowels everyday? A constipated child will hv poor appetite. Maybe like what the doctor say, it could be bad habits, then you will need to rectify it.

To me, absorption of nutrients is more important. My son can eat but he doesn't to put on much weight, I am more worried abt his bod not absorbing nutrients from his food. I guess I hv to be more patient.

i duno if his body is absorbing any nutrients or not. he pass motion almost daily. i dun allow a single sweets in his diet so its not sweet problem. i scare he very hard to allow others to tuina for him leh. actually its only my in-laws side keep sayin he skinny. my mother side they say so long he healthy its ok. im not financially good so i dun think i can afford to go tcm if it need a lot of treatment.
thanx mum. for advicing

Hi candy,

I think yr son shld be ok(as long his stools are not loose), from the way you describe him. As long he is healthy, that is more important. The elderly always expect kids to look chubby, then it's considered healthy. I find it pressurizing, my in laws and my dad find my son skinny too.

i agree with ping ping.

older generation think chubby kids = healthy. that is so untrue. they don't know that unhealthy chubby kids grow up to be unhealthy adults too.

important thing for both adult and children alike is to have a balanced diet!

SKinny doesn't mean unhealthy. How ever FAT definitely is unhealthy. If you think your child is getting all the nutrients he/she needs and is small in size, it maybe just genetics. Don't dwell to much into it.

My Girl 35 months 13.6 kg 95 cm and was 12 kg only at 2.5 yrs, only recently she eats more and gain more weight.
I am always worry about her weight, but my hubby always said he doesn't like her fat anyway.
As long as she eats healthy and stay active the rest is history.
MIL always says she is skinny, but other say she is solid when they hold her.

My boy turning 3.5yrs old in May is 95cm, 12.8kg. He is taking pediasure n eating well. I worry abt his growth too as my MIL always complain tt he is so skinny n small sized... Even say I din feed him food!!!!!!
Anyway, the PD say as long he is eating well n cos he is v active, it fine. It could be genes also as i am on the small side.

Back