sigh.. My 6 year old develop the habit of peeling her nails.

nuadiver

My girl started peeling her nails after watching her Daddy do it last Dec. Since then we had talked, scolded, counseled, explained etc that its not a good habit and will affect the health and looks of her nails. Showed her images on the internet on ugly and infected nail beds. She was scared off for a while and then she continued again. I know she feels very bad everytime she does it cos she promised us countless times that she will stop.

Told her she can put on nail polish if she lets it grows to a nice length as a reward. She was excited to hear that cos she loves nail polish though i only let her put on once before only. But she still continues to peel her nails.... I am at my wits end already. Sigh.

Hi
I understand how u feel my boy now 12 years old still biting and peeling his nails too. Already warn him not to do that still continue and do .now children just refuse to listen to parents and have their own ways doing things . Stress not easy to be parents .

Hi,
My boy bites his fingers too despite telling and scolding him many times. I'm also at wits end and dun koe how to let him kick off this bad habit :(

It could be a way for them to cope with anxiety. Can consider play therapy, it's using play to help the children to help themselves. Through play in a safe space, it allows them to work through their issues and learn how to cope.

my Girl peeled her nails from Dec to April. About 4months. Most of the time she does it in school. Then i bought the rubber finger protectors and used it on both her thumbs. Used surgical tape to secure the covers onto her thumbs. She attends half day school so i will remove it after school. For 2 weeks we tried that, she didn't peel her nails. Then after that we went for a 10 day holiday. She told me that i need not use the rubber covers on her anymore. so i trusted her and she went without when she goes to school. So till now, she didn't start the habit anymore. So Fingers crossed!!!

Back