Side effect for epidural?

If you are referring to after giving birth, the immediate side effect is that your whole body will itch and you will feel numbness for a period of time... After which for some mummies, you will keep trembling non-stop.

I was shivering uncontrollably after my delivery. I believe that's one of the side effects. Just like missyblueberry mentioned.

I had epidural fever and trembling uncontrollably after delivery. Some mummies experience nausea and vomiting as well. It depends on individuals. Some mummies experience none of these too. The jab is achey, not super painful. As compared to contractions, u wont really pain much attention to the administering of the jab. Haha

Shivering after the first tube run out and vomiting an hour plus after delivery. But I feel that the cold air-con and no food for a long time also contributes.

No side effects of epidural for me at all. In fact, it made giving birth a whole lot easier and less painful.

Ya.. Actually side effect is just temporary, but can help to relax and reduce labour pain. If your pain threshold is not high, no harm to take. No right or wrong, just personal preference.

Yea there are different schools of thought regarding taking epidural. Some mummies strongly reject epidural due to the perceived potential harm to the baby and some would like to go au natural to experience the gift of nature to give birth without pain relief. Afterall, if our mums can do it without pain relief, we should be able to? However, i feel that whatever choices u make regarding taking epidural or not, make sure u r comfortable with it. Rmb that whether u take epidural or nt, it does not u more or less of a mother or whether u r on a moral higher ground or not. :)

Last edited:
Yea there are different schools of thought regarding taking epidural. Some mummies strongly reject epidural due to the perceived potential harm to the baby and some thing would like to go au natural to experience the gift of nature to give birth without pain relief. Afterall, if our mums can do it without pain relief, we should be able to? However, i feel that whatever choices u make regarding taking epidural or not, make sure u r comfortable with it. Rmb that whether u take epidural or nt, it does not u more or less of a mother or whether u r on a moral higher ground or not. :)
I agree with Twirlycandy that it is a personal choice, just like breastfeeding. I don't think you should choose one over another just because one is perceived to be more sacrificing that the other. With regards to the so-called side-effects of epidural, everything has risks, including childbirth itself. With the current technology, I would say it's of a lower risk. Just my thoughts.

For the birth of my first baby, i opted for epidural. I didn't find the epidural administration to be painful, however it was pretty scary to lose control of my legs. Also, i found that because i couldn't feel the contractions, i didn't really know how to 'push' during delivery, and baby ended up being assisted out via vacuum. Post delivery, i found myself shaking/shivering a lot. A couple of my friends experienced bad vomitting, which sounded pretty awful!

Back