Should my friend have the baby?

ImNobody

My friend got pregnant recently and is struggling to decide whether she should have the baby.
Pls give some advice if you ever face a similar situation. Many thanks.

She is 35years old and a PR.
Since she is probably missing her best age to conceive a baby, she is worrying if she chose abortion, she may not conceive a baby anymore in her life.

But for some reason, her partner cannot raise the child together with her. Her partner could only give some financial support (e.g., S$2000 /month).
She also talked this matter to her parents and tried to see if they can give some help in raising the child. But they are quite traditional people, and cannot accept an unwed child. So likely she cannot get much help from her parents either..

She is thinking maybe she can hire a confinement nanny for a few months after childbirth, and then hire a maid or send the baby to infant care afterward. But generally, she is very fearful about the challenges (known & unknown) to raise a child alone, especially considering she may not get moral support from her parents and her partner.

Would appreciate if anyone can give some advice, or any single mom can kindly share some experience on raising a child alone. Thanks!

Partner cant raise child with her.. and no mention of marriage.. i am guessing he is married.

I am also guessing that he will also not include his name in the birth cert.
The kid will then adopt the citizenship of the mom. Kid can get ltvp but getting PR is really a grey area.
Raising a LTVP kid in SG is not going to be cheap.

Then the mom.. single PR can get any HDB.

Only the mom can decide for herself.

Partner cant raise child with her.. and no mention of marriage.. i am guessing he is married.

I am also guessing that he will also not include his name in the birth cert.
The kid will then adopt the citizenship of the mom. Kid can get ltvp but getting PR is really a grey area.
Raising a LTVP kid in SG is not going to be cheap.

Then the mom.. single PR can get any HDB.

Only the mom can decide for herself.
Thanks for the reply.
Do you mean it is difficult to apply PR for the child, even after legal adoption by the child’s biological mom (my friend)? Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply.
Do you mean it is difficult to apply PR for the child, even after legal adoption by the child’s biological mom (my friend)? Thanks again!
ICA has their own set of criteria in approving PR applications. And those criterias evolve over time. There are many such questions posted online, its not a " sure can get" type of approval.

Hmm.. this thing abt "legal adoption of biological child" is really a Singapore Citizen issue based on unique govt issues like getting a HDB flat. For a PR to legally adopt a Non citizen in SG, its a totally different ballgame. See step 2.

Back