Sharing on good Children books - English and Chinese

is this thread dead now? I find this thread so interesting ...we should keep it alive

Thanks to the many mothers for the website of the online bookstores.

REcently, I went to Taiwan and bought many Chinese books. They are cheap. Unfortunately they are written in fan ti.

just checked, my friend did, they have a local parnter, can pay by cash when they deliver or through internet banking POSB

missk,
Lucky you, I have to search everywhere for books in fan ti. I prefer to expose DS to fan ti 'cos I like the way the character looks and chinese calligraphy is done in fan ti too. Once you know fan ti, jian ti is a piece of cake.
Any idea where I can get affordable fan ti books, online or otherwise?
TIA!

Hi 3ds,
Can I have the contact of the local partner, I am interested in the books listed in the website. Thanks!

anngel, i have no idea leh..i am also looking for these books.

Do u guys know how to order cheap books from US?

hi anngel
Chinese books that are published in HongKong and Taiwan are in fanti, whereas those in mainland china are in jianti.
You can visit the bookshops at Bras Basah Complex, particularly Union Book Shop as they stock Taiwanese and Hong Kong titles.

jus stumble upon this thread... very interesting...
m interested in eric carle books... now got promotion at september 21... for mar 08

hi, 3D
may i have the contact, too? i'm looking for chinese books for my 1yr old.

just to share, for english books i like the amazing baby books for their simple illustration and photographs of babies. my girl loves kissing the illustrated baby that they use for their logo.

hi 3D,
Can you pls elaborate how to purchase from bingling ... Do we order on the website and wait for their confirmation/advice email before paying the local partner? OR we order from the local partner? Payment in SGD or RMB? If SGD, how/who determine the exchange rate? Please PM me the local partner contact too. Furthermore, do you know if it's cheaper to buy from bingling or Bras Basah for the same books?

to purchase from bingling, will need to get in touch with the locak partner. either call or email them, their terms is cash on delivery
payment is in SGD, the exchange rate is determine by bingling which is generally SGD $1 = RMB 5

My friends and i prefer this source rather than bras basah mainly bingling has wide range and their local partner can really recommend books suitable for each age group.

sorry can't pm you as you do not accept PM

hope i answer yr queries

oh ya, cheaper to buy from bingling too as their local partner give good discount if you purchase > $100 each time, can gather more friends to buy together, moreover they deliver to you

3d,
thanks for your answer. Not aware that I did not activate my PM, have PM you instead. One more question: we pay just the listed book price or got incur additional shipping charge?

Hi, for those keen to get good chinese books from bingling, just email to the local contact your selection and they will email you the booklist, it is definitely cheaper than the ones you found in singapore, and a better selection too

the price you pay will not be the web page as they are in RMB, their local contact will work it out for you

went to dangdang website, rather disappointed, they have limited selection of picture story books and seem that their books are mostly china ones, not the good English titles translated to chinese, which binglingbooks has

hi 3Ds

not that i am gaining from promoting the dangdang website, or stopping people from ordering from bingling.

just sharing my experience from buying at the website, and giving all mummies a choice.
furthermore, they accept international credit cards. so far, my friend and i have already ordered 3 batches of books, and 1 box waiting for arrival.

think probably you din access the right pages, so you din find the books. currently they having promotion even, look at this list, it's alot!! http://static.dangdang.com/book/topic/778_8759.shtml.

the main book section page is http://book.dangdang.com/01.41.htm. probably i din give the books section url earlier, so couldnt find.

picking books that are about 30%-40% discounted, and adding the shipping charges, i am paying each book just slightly more than the price that's printed at the back of each book. at the singapore bookstores, these books usually cost 3-4 times the printed rmb price.

maybe you can share with us all, what's the prices like at bingling after including delivery charges. if it's good, i'm interested to order too, bcos my kids are enjoying all the chinese books now.

hi bbloh

yes, you are right. the 50% sounds intimidating, but if you just calculate, it's still cheaper than getting it from the singapore chinese bookstores. advise is get those books > 30% discount. there are even 50% discount.

and you are shopping in the comfort of your home
happy.gif
dun have to exactly hunt in the physical shops ...

Hi Joyful,

Can check with you what type of postage did you choose? Normal international mail or DHL. How long does it take to receive the book?

I also like to know whether the texts in simplified Chinese. Thank!

hi Isis

yes, all texts are in simplified chinese.

my postage type is normal international mail. so it typically takes more than 4 weeks to reach. my longest wait for a package was 10 weeks. if you are not in a hurry, it doesnt matter. i will see when will my latest package come.

i'm getting the dr.seuss series (10 books) which has english and chinese in it. it's @ 45% discount, after calculating, each cost about S$4. i think in popular store, after the 20% discount each book is like $6. so i save like $20
happy.gif

the prices of books do change, as they usually highlights certain books for more discount.

Hi joyful,

Thank for the info. Based on their method of calculation for the shipping charge, there is no differen whether I buy a lot or just one book right.

If so, then I just order one or two box set first. If no problem, then I go back and order a few more. Hee..

hi joyful2,

sorry if i have meant rude, perhaps, i didn't gone to the right pages.

For bingling books, their costing is different, the local prices are thru liaising with the local contact. the shipping charges are all in, basically say for a set of spot books, 8 books, it is at $32 ( $4 each ) which in popular selling at $8 each ( depends on titles)

Also the local contact do home delivery ( free is >$50 ), cash on delivery and great discounts if you purchase more.

I prefer to see my goods before i pay, thus, may still buy this way

hi 3Ds

it's ok ... was jus being cautious against disguised sellers too
happy.gif

as for the spots books you mentioned, just for comparison sake, each spots book would cost $3 in dangdang.

but i understand that sometimes people do prefer to pay upon receiving the goods. i too was not comfortable with the month long wait initially.

Am so glad to chance upon this thread!

Hi 3Ds, can you also let me know the local contact of bingling? Thanks a bunch!

Thanks 3DS I received the contact.

My boy is 3.5 yo and my girl is 1.5 yo. They are not very interested in reading chinese books and sometimes I want to give up. But I know I have to persevere. Anyone has the same problem? Any advice?

Back