Sharing on good Children books - English and Chinese

3ds

Hi,

My friend and i can very concern on children literacy and will like to start this thread on it
We find that to get children to read, we must first interest them with picture books, start as early as 6 months, with cloth of board books, let them flip and feel the books

Slowly, they will want you to read to them, over and over again, doesn't matter, as long as they enjoy the stories

like to share some eric carle books are good for preschoolers
- Mister seahouse
- 10 little rubber ducks
- Slowly slowly said the sloth

hi,

I love children's books too.

my recent reads to my 2 year-old-son:

1) the very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle (I bought the sticker version)

2) head to toe by Eric Carle

3) Pancakes, pancakes by Eric Carle

4) the Tiny seed by Eric Carle

** Love his books cos can easily followed up with activities

5) Are You My Mother by PD Eastman

The pancakes, pancakes is a very nice book, my sons loves it, especially with a recipe at the back of it

hi 3Ds,

tks for starting tis thread.. its always a headache for me 2 find gd bks.. my ger currently is 11m now...

may i noe other than popular, kino which i usually visited, any other gd bk stores 2 visit? and where do u mummies actually shop for bks?

Hi Taurus

Actually, i personally got to library to look for books, if they are good, i usually buy from online store.

Do try online stores, they are quite personalise, and can help recommend books too

Usborne young readers books are ideal too and one can get them online. The ladybird series of classics are great for girls.

I have bought Chinese books in Popular. There are quite a number to choose from, many are from China. Most stories teach moral values

september 21 is an online store. I used to buy Chinese books from Kinokuniya. They have great stories but unfortunately they are in 'fan ti zi' (complex chinese characters) as think they imported from Taiwan. Recently found an online store selling good Chinese books in 'jian ti zi' (which we used in S'p) from motherhood thread too. Think it's called alittlecaterpillar.com

my kids love this series of chinese books "shu(3) xian(3) di(4)" which is about a little mouse adventures and it is humourous and The Gruffalo (by Julia Donaldson) is a great book that is interesting and the words rhyme too! got these recommendations fr alittlecaterpillar people

Hi, I know of a 2nd hand book seller who does roadshows @ malls. I have picked out many good reader age appropriate for emerging readers @ $1-$2. They books are in good conditions and less than half the brand new price.

Only problem is I hv to call them each time to find out where they are at or going next.

Hi all,
Look out for the Book Warehouse sale at Expo. They usually hold it on long weekends. There should be one this coming Chinese New Year. Look out for their advertisement in newspapers.

They sell many good childrens/baby board books, all are brand new. Many at 3 or 4 books for $10, or at $4 per book. Other books are at a very good discount. For example, I bought Kipper's Balloon at only $10, it is selling at Amazon.com for over US$20.

The selection is very good. Don't miss it.

I posted the following in another thread. Copy and paste here again.

I started out buying a few books for my girl when she was about 3 months old, for example:

One little duck
http://www.amazon.com/One-Little-Duck-Baby-Fun/dp/0789498162/sr=1-1/qid=1167486899/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5205478-5099360?ie=UTF8&s=books

Curious creatures: Thunder in the jungle
http://www.amazon.com/Curious-Creatures-Thunder-Jean-Christie/dp/1402702094/sr=1-1/qid=1167487071/ref=sr_1_1/102-5205478-5099360?ie=UTF8&s=books

The thing with babies so young, is that they will not pay attention to you when you read, and will try to grab the book. It's natural. I was quite angry with my maid at that time, I asked her to read the books to my baby, she said my baby don't like. We have to be persistant, and read to them everyday. They will slowly build up their interest.

Now I got about 300 books, both in English and Chinese. The reason why I keep buying, is because if my kids like a certain book, they will ask me to read it over and over again. Some books were read more than 50 times. I can't tahan repeating, so I bought more books.

These 2 books and others in their series are very good. Suitable even for very young babies.

This little bunny
http://www.amazon.com/This-Little-Bunny-Mini-Movers/dp/0764157396/sr=1-1/qid=1167488540/ref=sr_1_1/102-5205478-5099360?ie=UTF8&s=books

Yum, Yum, Poppy Cat
http://www.amazon.com/Yum-Poppy-Cat-Lara-Jones/dp/0333972449/sr=1-1/qid=1167488718/ref=sr_1_1/102-5205478-5099360?ie=UTF8&s=books

This one is a very nice book, read over 50 times, and my kids are still asking for it. My kids started reading when they are more than 1 year old.

Kipper's Balloon
http://www.amazon.com/Kippers-Balloon-Kipper-Mick-Inkpen/dp/0340841788/sr=1-1/qid=1167488786/ref=sr_1_1/102-5205478-5099360?ie=UTF8&s=books

My kids also like this book and others in its series very much, keep asking me to read over and over again. Suitable for babies more than 1 year old.

Black and White Rabbit's ABC
http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Rabbits-Alan-Baker/dp/0753452537/sr=1-1/qid=1167489004/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5205478-5099360?ie=UTF8&s=books

Thanks for sharing Moms...

Kook_Car, any idea how to get hold of your supplier? I wouldn't mind travelling to where he is to get books...

Thanks for sharing Moms...

Kook_Car, any idea how to get hold of your supplier? I wouldn't mind travelling to where he is to get books...

so happy to find this thread.

i m a firm believer in reading since young. i bought a lot of books for my boy but like what tamarind say they tend to go for the same books. i will intro a new book each week.

recently i read to him the very hungry caterpillar. my boy is now one year old. of cos he still grabs the book and i dun usually complete the story but he likes to turn to the page with the butterfly and flip his hands.

i always look out for those warehouse sales cos near my home. just to share some good buys. i bought this book for SGD 5 before and someone told me she bought at SGD 25!

any recommedations for one year old? also how ot make him sit still to listen to me read?

SY,
You can try to design some actions when you read every page of the story book. For example, you can follow the story's character if he is jumping/kicking/running or do some other silly actions. Or try to act out the story. For example there is a book about going on a bear hunt, the kids hide under a blanket to hide from the bear. I will get a blanket and hide under it with my kids, that makes it so exciting ! My kids are delighted with this and would make me read the same book over and over again. They will sit really still to listen to me finish reading a page, then do the actions with me
happy.gif

Personally, i find if yr kids like to read, does matter any book, even intruction manual is good, as they are learning, my sons like comics, i will read to them the Sunday comic, and they always like to know more

I like picture books a lot, bought lots of them and sometimes, i find that i like the book more than my sons.

For 1 yr old, i suggest big picture books with big words, not necessary the board book, i have a set of books in the shape of fire engines which they like

Karen Katz books are good for babies to 1yr of age. Nicely illustrated with bright, eye-catching colours, simple one-line stories that can hold a baby's attention.

They are my boy's favourites books, so they've become rather worn now.

Furryfurry and all,
Here's the 2nd hand bookseller details. You gotto call them to check where they're at. The few places I know they usually set up shop are Thomson Plaza, Sengkang Mall, Hougang Mall, Jurong East, Beauty World Plaza.

As for the titles, they really can't tell what they hv as they dun realy keep stock of the titles. It depends on your luck.

EverNew Book Store
Mr Neo @ 9488 9666 (mobile)
Jennifer @ 9817 0327

So good luck lah ...
bounce.gif

Personally I like both
happy.gif
Eric Carle's books are more suitable for toddlers and preschoolers and Shel Silverstein's are more for children prob 4 and above who begin to understand more about life. Eric's drawings are very colourful and Shel's very simple and wonderfully illustrates the content. just my 2 cents worth..

Silverstein's illustration is a little more abstract but I am not too sure. I haven't really gone through their stuff.

Personally, I love Dr Suess. Very creative!

Both my kids love The cat in the hat books. But I don't like, because I find the cat quite ugly hahaha I prefer books with cute cute drawings.

i agree with tamarind, i like children books with nice pictures, the ones by Julia Donaldson are very interesting, i like the "Smartest Giant" and the Whale and the snail best

my girl has been reading ladybird series (yellow hard cover)
we started with book 1, 2, 3, 4. Now she's reading book 9 and 11

the level progress gradually and used words from previous books, so there's repetition

any mommies know contact no. for time-life book series?
i need them urgently, pls PM me if u know.. many thanks in advance.

The kids at home are less than 2 years. They got 3 bookshelves full at home. However, their favourites are the following:

1) Peekaboo Zoo
2) Peek-A-Boo in the Toybox
3) Cloth Ears
4) Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars

We start reading simple stories to them when they were only 3 months old.

my son just started to read recently, found that as parents, we need a lot of encouragements, start them on very basic reader " Peter and Jane" or " Dick and Jane " series, after that, with the keys words do flash cards and then they will be able to remember the words the next time they see it

I just start to buy those children books when my son is now 14 months. He don't like to stay focus on books, he will grab and throw the books away, anyone have good idea ? I also try to play those children VCD for him, he also not fancy at all.

is it too late to start the book reading for him now ?

prettymum, it's never too late to start reading to your kids
happy.gif
perhaps he has not been exposed to books so his attention on them are still short, he may not have "discover" that reading is fun yet! try doing it step by step... dun be too ambitious to try to finish the whole book, maybe just target 1-2 pages for a start, praise him for sitting through with you, then slowly increase the pages. try to find books on topics that he fancies, eg if he likes animals, get books on animals... and read in a fun way
happy.gif
you must enjoy the reading too, dun sound stressed, your son will feel it! HTH!

i agree wit westbb, never too late to start a child with books, especially good books, my eldest son is now 4 plus, it has been trying tough to get him on a book but my 2nd son likes books very much and always asking me to read to him.

Again a lot of encouragement and keep trying
i just wish i am a child again with so many good picture books nowadays

<font color="0000ff">Chocolate Lovie,

1) Peekaboo Zoo
2) Peek-A-Boo in the Toybox
3) Cloth Ears
4) Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars

May I know who the authors or publishers are?</font>

Hi ladies,

Can you share how do you usually go about hunting for good books for the specific levels?

I think usually by randomly searching at the library, takes a bit of time as you have to browse each shelf.

To think of it, reading book reviews also takes time huh?

But seriously, how do you go abt looking for worthwhile reads?

is it through recomendations? reviews? awards? looking for specific authors? how do you know an author is good?

If reviews, what are good sites of book reviews?

Other than for my children, I have a problem of searching fiction books for myself. I have not been reading any fiction books for a very long time.

I cringe at romantic novels and hates gory murder novels. Used to read some of sidney sheldon and others which i can't remember now.

So please give some inputs so that i can better manouvre myself around the library/ bookshops. :p

Back