SAHM Mum? Concerns

B

bibi81

I have been a stay at home mum since I had my son- who is now 2.5 year old. Planning for no 2 soon.

Really feel worthless at times cos want work full time. cannot, mil and me has conflicts even when I work part time. how do full time.

Though hubby can support me now, I feel pretty lost at times. Like so long never work full time, never earn my own salary on monthly basis.

Feel uncomftable keep asking hubby for money. Or rather he does gives me a monthly allowance and I use his credit card. He doesnt check or ask but I feel bad at times

I really hope to work more days even if part time. But my mil and maid also cannot get along. Mil is the main issue. But I need her to be around when I work certain days so I cant commit too long working hours.

Feel sian cos like eveything cannot do at this point of my life.

How many of you here who are SAHM feel the same like me?[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Hi,

I am a sahm too. Stopped working since i found out i was preg, till now my baby is coming to 10 mths.

As with everything else, there are down times when we feel cooped up, low self esteem, esp when we have to ask hb for $$.

But i guess we are fortunate in our own ways. I get to witness the growth and development of my baby, i get to interact with her and am glad i am teaching her and bringing her up the way i want to.

Since your hb doesn mind your spending his money, why dun u take it as an opportunity to stay at hm FT so ur problem of ur mil wif maid will be solved too?

I tell myself, money can be earned back in future. But, once i miss my baby's first tooth, first step, etc, she will nvr go back to being a baby again.

Ah CHing,

COs hubby and I are not comfortable of my maid caring of of kids without any body oversseing her hence need mil aroud so I cant really commit to a full time job yet. And 2.5 still considered young. He cant really tell me much things yet

Hi Fern.. sometimes we must learn to trust our helper (esp if u had her for some time already)

maybe u can consider part time jobs.. at least u wont be leaving the child for a very long period of time.

in this way, u can get back some of your life..

i started working part time when my son was 11 months.

no regrets so far, i leave him with a nanny when I am at work few hours a day.

at least i take time off being a mummy (get back some sanity)

altho the income is not a lot but i get some 'me' time

if u worried. then can consider sending your child to school for a few hours a day since he is already 2.5 yrs old.

then maybe u can consider joining some course where u can mix with adults...

hi fern,

if u realli wish to continue being a SAHM pls dun think badly of urself..if u wish to have some "me" time leave ur boy wif in laws or own parents, spend 2 or 3 hrs go facial or shopping..oso not bad.

if u go to work n worry abt the maid the whole day then u will feel stress n cant concentrate at work..wat for??

jus put ur mind at rest be SAHM :> enjoy

Being a SAHM is not easy, one kid is still manageable, but when u have two kids there are a lot of juggling. I had my second one when my first born was about 2 half yo. Actually it was the most demanding time from both kids. I have to homeschool the older one till she attended kindergarten at 4yo and caring for the baby without help. Nevertheless, it’s the most rewarding job because you will be caring for your own kids which money can’t compensate for those time and effort. Of course u must have a supportive husband who appreciates your hard work.

Agree. It's tiring. I am taking care 2 kids, aged 3.5 and 9 months (still breastfeeding) on my own. Haven't got any day off since pregnant with my 2nd one.

Happy that been able to watch them grow up. But wish for half a day off w/o kids once a month and financial freedoom..

before i read this thread i thought i am the only insane.. thinking of quitting my job when i am in my 6th week preg...

but still mastering courage to do it.

what kind of part time are u ladies into? can share?

HI Joleen,

Think can try part time telemarketer or some admin jobs.. sometimes they do have Pa jobs also. quite rare...

Think during preggie might be a little too tired to go work everyday. Maybe get some rest b4 you resume work when you deliver if yoou hubby supports you best to rest ya?

Hi Fern,

I just happened to see your name popped up as the last one to past msg on the 2011 thread. U must be the Fern I went to TMC for baby class with. =) How are you?

I pei-fu SAHMs. It's never easy. Have you considered sending your darling to 2hr playgroup or 1/2 day childcare? Then your reliance on your MIL or your maid will be lesser. Then you can also concentrate on finding part time jobs which you like. It doesn't have to earn you big bucks, but it will be able to help you make new friends and keep your contacts with your outside world. At the same time, you are not fully committed to the corporate world so you can still contine to look after your darling most of the time. =)

I hope things will work out for you. =) Good luck ok!

HI Ah Capp,

You are right. haha. Good to see you here. How times flies. Now our son already 2.5 year old? hehe. U planning another soon?

No playgroup yet cos my house here not much good ones and the ones downstairs my place only has nursery. Elias, my son attends a weekly playgroup on sunday already. ya men, I am looking for some part time jobs but very hard cos of the commitment hours I can do is very short as my mil cant come too often too.. So yah lor.. so need slowly find.[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ya men, SAHM are never easy, In fact commitment is greater and more tiring at times.. Plus pple like me cant get along with mil, best we handle ourselves lor.. And really find short term working hours job[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

How about yourself? Your mum loooking after? Hope all is good and well with you[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Fern,

I'm also a SAHM with a 19 mths old girl. Also planning for #2.

I'm thinking of going out to work, maybe part-time to earn my own $ & to have friends. But I have nobody to look after my girl. The only choices are to put her in a childcare or to get a maid. But like you, I'm not comfortable leaving my daughter alone with a maid. As for childcare, I heard friends' kids in childcare getting HFMD & H1N1......

If I have #2, it will be even harder for me to go back to work, sigh!

hi everyone here...

i'm a SAHM too. have been for the last 2 yrs. my boy just turned 2 today. and i'm 32 weeks into 2nd pregnancy. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] i've got no helper too. but i've placed my boy into 1/2 day childcare since feb and full-day childcare for 2 weeks. it's to help me when no.2 comes. cos not getting confinement nanny.

i'm working 1hr every sat. haha...i know tt's like almost nothing. and will have to suspend that from mid sept.

Hi mummies,

I'm a sahm to 2 gals - 8 years old n 20 months old respectively. Am looking after my gals full time, without help. Hv been toying with the idea of going back to full time employment, but drop the idea whenever I hear of scary stories re domestic helper and /or hfmd, n1h1 .........

I went back to being a ftwm after having dd1. But decided to stay home after dd2 came along. In my opinion, being a successful ftwm is harder than being a sahm.

Yup mastering either as FTWM or SAHM is never easy.

My tentative plan is after 1st trimester, I quit n till labor. Then afterwhich due to there isnt anyone really suitable in the family to help take care, being SAHM will ease me the headache of who to take care of. Of course I worry I am not be able to cope with the task? worrying....

Then when my child is 2 yrs old, I will probably go bk to working society. During the 2 yrs, I do intend to pursue some ad hoc course or certificate. =D hoping it helps me to have better chance....

Having said all these I am not young too, 31 this yr, so thinking if by the time I am ready for #2, and I go back work... how sia...

Haiz... Life is full of problem.

Hi tiaiyin,

I'm same age as you. I do worried after #2, will I still be able to get a job at my age and after stopping work for so long? But I can't remain as a SAHM forever, the children will grow up and by then, I have nothing to do at home. Really such a headache!

hi all

Glad to get so many pple chatting here now...

Er.. we should start a SAHM chat here. Get to know more SAHM or Part time working mummies here[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Me not young too.. I am born is 1981 so almost 30 also old liao

My son is already 2.5 years old.. ANd we are planning for a 2010 rabbit baby too so now starting to plan.. stressed also.. COs me am a SAHM mum though I have a maid I do not feel comftable with leaving him with her too long hours. As for mil cant get along so now she doesnt stay with us.. only visit us once a week where I do my own stuff time alone.. hehe

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Do Add me in facebook Fern or msn at [email protected].

For those who like to exchange facebook please add me[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Thanks[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

HI Miffy,

I thought like you too. the longer we dont work,the more we just dont feel like working anymore..ANd we worry we lose out in workig world etc.... Try get some part time jobs from clasified ads, etc....

As the child grows older and has school and cca we may even need to go through hw with them and guide them in their school work if leave to maid/mil think they may just play and play only lor

SAHM can do a lot of guidance to our kids but on the other hand also tiring to take care them 24 hours 7 days a week

Thats why I get mil to come visit my son instead of staying here everyday to minimise conflicts with her. SInce she comes once /twice a week. I do go work part time as a PA in some property line. ANd get to earn some small salary. In this way, I do get my time alone, earn something small and do get to know friends too compared to cooping in house all day long

Maybe you can try. Cos for me, I really feel more comtabable working part time few hours twice a weeek like that and I really have less conlict now adays..

TO me, even how old the child is.. Maid alone.. cannot trust lor when no body monitors her... hav seen b4 how maid just tok and tok and leave kids on playgrond a lone la .. send school also anyhow let kids cross road themselves

THat why to me I rather send my child to school myself to and fro unless older school bus is fine.

THank God, I have a PAP downstairs my house....... COnvenience sake I rather send there.. though heard not many gd reviews on them. I think it depends on each individual child how they perform:[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Fern,

My husband has also suggested to me to go work part-time instead of taking care of our DD 24/7. Either I get a maid and send her and DD to my mum's house while I work or I send DD to the childcare centre.

I do not really like the idea of getting a maid as #1 no privacy #2 I need to supervise the maid.

Anyway, now planning for rabbit bb too, so the plan of going back to work has to be shelved for the moment. But with another baby, I don't think I can cope alone, so I still have to consider getting a maid to help me or put DD into a childcare centre.

HI Miffy,

I think its best to get a maid. YOu can monitor the maid.. on the other hand you can get her do more housework,and care yourself at night..

Initially I wasnt used to somebody in my house.. But after a while. will get used to it.

If child care. also not bad but heard friends theur kids..always get sick very easily so its your choice[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

i just became a SAHM (used to be air crew) today and im only 5.5 wks pregnant. my husband advised that we could find part time or contract based jobs so I could quit after contract ends.

hmmm maybe you could try work from home jobs? have to be careful when you source though, cos some are scams... just look around first... or tell your husband about your concern, im sure he'll help.

HI Michelle.

COngrats on your pregnancy[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Oh so you also SAHM now? heee. me too... oh you were a air crew previously. I had a few friends in this line who gave up their job as air crew too.. nice knowing you[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Being a SAHM after been working is tough.. i quit after my daughter got rotavirus and hospitalised and did not get emphaty from bosses.. only to realise that I was pregnant right aft i quit. Sometimes regretted quitting but then again, with monster bosses, I'd rather be "poorer" than waking up to face their stupid faces. Saved $600 after letting go of maid, and did budget grocery shopping, minus off shoe shopping etc.. can manage with hubby's pay. Financially tough, but being home & seeing daughter growing up & experiencing it for myself juz awesome!

Hi all

Happen to see this post and hope I am not late.

I am also a SAHM. infact for 2nd time since my boy in primary school

The 1st time I quitted my 12 yrs of job to take care of him becos I can't bear the stress of placing him into student care and I alway have to rush with time to fetch him up and down.

After that, I took a maid and my parent came down to train for 4 months before I let go and go back to workforce again.

last year, I just quitted my job due to the maid issue that create a havoc in my hse and I have to call in police. In the end, that left me with a very bad nitemare and hubby ask me to quit my job.

Now I am a 2nd time mummy, preggy with no.2 after a 10 yrs gap...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] and I am a part time SAHM.

Cos I teach on a flexi- hr in pri, sec school for enrichment programes.

But I guess I will stop again after I give birth in March next year

It's never easy to be a SAHM esp for us who have job before or done our highest education level.

But I alway tik that it is still worth it becos we are less stress and worry when we are SAHM.

Our Hub will also be able to concentrate on their career path since they can rest assured in 100% that the house and everyone is being taken care.

The only thing lack is everyone is correct - $$

may not have our own pocket $ and earning power to spend as we like.

but is still a better deal after all [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hihi..am oso a sahm..quit fulltime job eversince 2 mths preggy with no.1 coz bad ms..now my ds is 2 yr plus..been bf him fully eversince, nw he can drink some fm but must mix with some milo else he dun wanna drink..afta finish still wanna latch..

Due to deliver no.2 hero in early Jan '11..will continuE to bf 2nd one & tandem nursing both if need be..

sure will b super tired..no maid..no helper.. all taken care by myself...at times hb helps in doin laundry & cleaning hme, occasionally will wanna cook but under my supervision of coz..

wonder hw will i cope with 3 heroes..(2 boys+hb)hehe..hope hav e strength to persevere any obstacles..

And oh Yes..hb doesnt earn high pay..no credit card oso.. so sumtimes strugglin with e little allowance got fm him..so i did some hme biz job to pass e time & keep me sane.. at lest got own $$ to spend..not much but juz enuff to pass till hb nxt pay..

Hi i am also a SAHM , my gal is now 17mths and i intend to put her in half day childcaree from january.. if she copes well i may put her there for full day.. but recently a qn popped in my mind whether to have a no.2.. I donno if i should go out and work for at least 1 year and then try for no. 2 or shd i try for no. 2 now that i am not working..

Does anyone here have any experience that u can share about how u manage no.1 , do housework if you are pregnant with no.2? is this even possible?

I am a SAHM too. My gal is now 3 years plus already. Been thinkig of goig back to work too until recently have thoughts of having a child (no 2).

babyziE, how do u handle having 1 boy and beig preggie at the same time? Since u are going to give birth soon and having no2 a boy again. Can share tipes of having a boy?

Hi shermine, As fr me did the hswerk mostly myself as there is only hb, me & son in our own flat. its like a routine evryday wen sweeping floor followed by mopping, then hav to cook.. all tis while monitoring my ds..furthermore i hav pets so constantly nd to clean e floor using wiper..its so tiring i tell u..

now preggy no. 2, tried to take things bit slow..i seldom cook nw nt like last time mostly evryday cook.( i luv cooking thou) My hb will go collect dishes fm his mum place @ wdlnds(me stay cck) afta werk in e evenings. So that dish is for my dinner & if got bal will keep in fridge for my nxt day lunch.. At times i cn b so hot tempered & frust wen ds is so notti & so demanding specially wen im nw nearing edd..sumtimes i juz break dwn & cry.. guezz its e preggy hormones..

So its still quite possible to manage e hsehold ..juz follow ur own pace..

Hi doraKid, i admit itz tough handling a toddler somemore a BOY & preggie at same time.. coz at his age nw he soo hyper, demanding at times seeking lotsa attention fm me..

gonna giv birth v soon..i oso hav my worries wether cn cope or not..hope i dun get pnd..

Wat tips u wan? hehe..actually i wanted a gal for no.2 but no chance leh..

babyzie thanks for your reply really appreciate it!! wow its so tough to manage housework with my gal now u can still do housework while preg!! u are really my idol ! ha..

don be sad about having boy at least u can save some money on clothes ..hope i could have a 2nd one and hopefully a gal..

hi mommies, any SAHM looking for a job? my hubby is looking for a SAHM to work from home. He needs someone with knowledge in HTML and simple image editing using Photoshop or Fireworks. And only need the mother to be able to respond work requests between 10am - 4pm.

PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Hi! I'm a stay-home mum (a 5YO girl, expecting no.2) and I do a bit of freelance work on the side. I do feel that I'm neither here nor there, I guess it's hard to have a balance. Do feel free to PM me to chat, or arrange playdates. You can also reach me via my blog: http://thebottomsupblog.com/

Dear Mommies,

though im not a sahm but i can fully understand the feeling of asking $$ from hubby.. i came across this very simple referral / data entry job which is online based.. i have tried it out and is working well for me.. so far i have earned some money thru this.. just click on the below link to find out more..

http://www.dataentrywork.net/?id=498393

p.s. no startup cost involved

Hi mummies, i totally understand that feeling. I am a SAHM too

And i storingly feel that is important and better that we have some.earnings ourselves. I recently came across a very good opportunity in earning a residual income and i would like to share with you. If you want, email to [email protected] i will respond to you asap.

Hi All Mummies in here

I am also the same case as fern. Not in good relationship with mil can say very bad. and my mum wish to help me but cant help as she is working 2 jobs a day as my younger brother has mental problem who refuse to work and refuse treatment too. Now they dont know what to do with him but letting him waste time everyday.

I tried working part time before for a few months but once my girl fall sick, my hubby refuse to take leave and ask me to take leave and i keep taking urgent leave , end up i got asked to leave before 3 months is up.

My girl is 4 years plus and in fullday childcare. the problem happens when she is sick or i need to do ot or when she caught hfmd or her teacher has training (normally falls on monday) , i do not have any helper to take care of my girl. My mil refuse to help, my mum wish to help but is living too far and she needs the money she work to pay for her housing loan so i dont dare to ask her to take too many urgent leave. hubby refuse to hire a maid or nanny to help me.

He is not earning a lot , i feel we three can manage with his income. but he keep asking me to go back to work asap. so what should i do now ?

He even told me if i want to have a second kid i better go to work. I wish to tell him if i go back to work i wont want a second kid anymore. cause it is very tiring when i am working . My routine is like this morning 7am bring girl to cc

8 plus back home have breakfast and bath 11am go to work 6plus evening rush back to cc to fetch my girl . sometimes i even need to take cab to reach my girl cc before 7pm when my ex boss ask me to stay till 6.30pm cause she is caught in a traffic jam. Come back still need to do all housechores and play with my girl. 10pm sleep and next day start all the madness again...

and i only have o level and ite cert so i normally work as service staff for 5 dollar per hour. so end of the month, my salary is pathetic less than 500 dollars. but if i dont work, then i cant enjoy the childcare subsidy for working moms and my hubby will complain he cant afford the 450 monthly cc fees for my girl and want to change cc for her again. sigh...

really dont know how to solve my problem... wish got some mums in here can help me to solve. now i am doing some online business although it does not earn much but it keeps me from sane and the products i purchase for my customers my girl can also play it too. so i will continue to do this.

If anyone is free to chat with me, pls email to [email protected] or sms to 92285595. Thanks so much [IMG=http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

apple,

hopefully our gov can hear your problem and offer childcare subsidy to mums working part time or not working as well.

but to solve your problem, maybe you can look after your gal yourself? and take on some freelance work such as Property/Insurance agent? Or do some data entry at home. There's many such jobs available in the papers, just look around.

Hi All,
I am a SAHM but with a home online business (so what do I call myself? WFHM? Work From Home Mom? haha).

Anyways, my son is 2.3mths and I quit my job when I got married in order to start a family. TTC for nearly 4 years when finally I had a son.
Now, I've been contemplating to return to workforce and send my son to childcare. But finding job so far (to fit my schedule) ain't easy.

Looking back at all the development and time spent with my growing son, I think I am ready to return to workforce to regain my "independence". I can safely say that I have gained enough courage to finally send my son to childcare. But my Husband is thinking of having a 2nd one.

I'm in dilemma cos if I don't work (aside from my online business), it will be financially tight supporting 2 kids + childcare fees. Husband don't like the idea of having maid cos waste of $ (he say) and no privacy. Mother is sick, cannot take care of my son. MIL is staying too far away.

What are your suggestions?

Hi All,
I am a SAHM but with a home online business (so what do I call myself? WFHM? Work From Home Mom? haha).

Anyways, my son is 2.3mths and I quit my job when I got married in order to start a family. TTC for nearly 4 years when finally I had a son.
Now, I've been contemplating to return to workforce and send my son to childcare. But finding job so far (to fit my schedule) ain't easy.

Looking back at all the development and time spent with my growing son, I think I am ready to return to workforce to regain my "independence". I can safely say that I have gained enough courage to finally send my son to childcare. But my Husband is thinking of having a 2nd one.

I'm in dilemma cos if I don't work (aside from my online business), it will be financially tight supporting 2 kids + childcare fees. Husband don't like the idea of having maid cos waste of $ (he say) and no privacy. Mother is sick, cannot take care of my son. MIL is staying too far away.

Hi, I've been SAHM since I got pregnant in 2010. Now I'm pregnant with baby #2. Yes, finance part has never gotten better for me too, some days we live from hand to mouth, but at least you're able to run an online business from home.

I had a helper for 6 months before she asked to go home forever so I let her go. Looking back, I like it better without a helper. Less financial worry too on paying for a helper. Looking after a helper is like looking after a teenager.

I guess if you're open to having baby #2 as well, then do it now. Send them both to nursery/school after the second one turns 2 and you go back to work.

Good luck on whatever decision you're making :)

Hi All,

Hi there!
I'm have 2 kids (26 months and 8 months) and currently work full time as my parents help out with the 8mo while my 26mo attends childcare. I'm planning to cut down my working hours in a few months so that I can be home more plus do my chores and run errands as like you, we do not have a helper and do not like having one. With 2 kids it will be financially tight so I will continue working but shorter hours.

You can Google for careermums website and there are loads of part time jobs specially for mothers who can't afford to work full time. I believe there are new posts every few days. They also have a Facebook page and you can like the page so you will get notifications every 2 weeks (I think). You can also sign up for their mailing list so you get email alerts as well.

Hope this helps and all the best looking for a job! You can do it :) mummies are superhumans! !

I'm a study-at-home mum (taking part-time degree off and on since 2009), stopped working since end 2013. I've got a 26-month-old. Having similar work-life-balance concerns - if go back to work, who's gonna take care of the little one? If don't go back to work, how to afford second one? If go back to work after second one, how would I have enough time/energy for them both?

Difficult issue with no simple solutions...

I'm a study-at-home mum (taking part-time degree off and on since 2009), stopped working since end 2013. I've got a 26-month-old. Having similar work-life-balance concerns - if go back to work, who's gonna take care of the little one? If don't go back to work, how to afford second one? If go back to work after second one, how would I have enough time/energy for them both?

Ur child go school?

Hey moms

Difficult issue with no simple solutions indeed.. I started a home business after my son turned 1. 2 main reasons were:
- I was going insane being just a FT mom.
- We really could use the extra cash.

Business has thankfully expanded, but now juggling both has proven to be quite a challenge. I wish I could say it's easy to hire freelance help, etc, as it seems to be for some WAHMs.. but it hasn't been such for me. I love running my business, while being a SAHM, but it sure does come with its challenges.

We don't have family's help, and hired help isn't my cup of tea. For now, my 3 year old goes to pre-sch, while I rush through emails and meetings. Hope to see more down-to-earth help for moms working and caring for their young children from home. Not just moms who go out to work.

Back