Removal of Fibroid

vt_kl

Hi,

Does anyone knows how much does removal of Fibroid cost if done at private hospital?
I was told it costs around $10K, is that true?

Vt_kl are you doing a laparoscopy to remove the fibroid? My sis had adenomyosis and went for laparoscopy at Gleneagles in Mar.. The total cost was about $12k including one night stay. I had laparoscopy to remove fibroids in April at KKH and bill came up to $7k plus with 2 nights stay. Btw I was a private patient at KKH so it's private rates.

Hi Superwoman, sorry for the late reply as I was busy last few days...
not too sure if is called laparoscopy, all I can remember is my gynae telling me that will be thru vaginal with 1 or 2 keyholes...
I will be operating at Mt Alvenia, but have not chose the date yet... How big is your fibroid?

Kittybaby, I think so long if u stay over night at hospital, u are able to use medishield to deduct then balance cash...

Hi kittybaby.. for gleneagles, there is a deposir and the bill has to be paid fully upon discharge. Subsequently, you can make the claim against your hospitalisation policy etc. You can use medisave to deduct but it's limited to less than $3k. Both my sis n I claim on our health shield and rider with GE. The main difference for kkh was that I didn't need to pay a single cent upon check in and discharge. You might want to prepare some cash for private hospitals..

Vt_kl .. I don't think mine was through vaginal though I had 3 incisions just below my abdomen. My fibroids are abt 4cm and 5cm plus. I had adenomyosis and suspected cyst on ovary. I also request the doc to check and clear my tubes during the laparoscopy.

Np kittybaby...

Hi superwoman, thks for replying again...

If i'm not wrong, what i'm going to do is called "myometrium" and mine was called submucous fibroid, easier to operate thru vaginal.
Can I know if is a must to remove the fibroid for your case? Coz I heard some ppl said they just leave it there since it is not affecting them.
And some might shrink after taking medications or supplements. Coz mine was affecting me, delay menses, heavier periods, pain, so guess I got no choice but to remove it... but just a little surprised that a minor surgery can cost so much!

You re welcome kittybaby

Vt_kl fibroids are very common indeed. Mine was subserosal fibroids and though they were not affecting me much, they were actually quite big and might continue to grow. My doc advised me to remove them as I was considering IVF (I'm not sure if those fibroids were affecting my fertility tho) as she doesn't want the fibroids to affect the chances. I took 1 year of TCM and I don't think it's effective in shrinking the fibroids. Removal by op is the fastest way but there are high chances they will return so do avoid cold foods and drinks, soy (phyto-estrogen) and chicken (unless its kumpung chicken). Do rest well after the procedure as its afterall a surgery on your uterus (no carrying, no squatting and strenuous movements e.g no exercise for 3 months).

If your co has bought or yourself has a hospitalization & surgical policy, you can make a claim on it. Of course your health shield (medisave) will be able to cover part of it and if you also have a rider, the procedure cost should be fully covered.

Hi Superwoman,

Thanks for your reply & info...
Didn't even know that doing this ops got to rest for so long... I was told I will be given abt 3 weeks MC.
I did not try for other alternative, like TCM or taking supplements, coz when I found out that I have fibroid, is already affecting me and showing symptons, so might as well just remove it... You were saying u were a private patient at KKH, but your bill still consider quite reasonable. So your gynae is your own private gynae or appointed by KKH?
Mine at MAH seems to be quite a diff from yours at KKH...

Hi vt_kl my doctor is actually the head of the KK IVF Dept Dr Sadhana. She is consider a senior doctor so I felt it was worth having her to help me remove the fibroids. I consulted her as a private patient so the consultation and surgical fees were private rates. My sis's doctor is Dr Christopher Chen at Gleneagles (well known but very expensive) hence the price differential even though the procedure is similar.

Oh must rest well and no exercises for 3 months is because we wont be able to see the internal wound so if we start doing strenuous movements before the uterus's full recovery, it may cause scarring (which may then affect fertility).

Hi vt_kl my doctor is actually the head of the KK IVF Dept Dr Sadhana. She is consider a senior doctor so I felt it was worth having her to help me remove the fibroids. I consulted her as a private patient so the consultation and surgical fees were private rates. My sis's doctor is Dr Christopher Chen at Gleneagles (well known but very expensive) hence the price differential even though the procedure is similar.

Hi superwoman_cqy, able to share your experience of the lap surgery?

Back