Reflux baby with feeding Aversion !

Limshiqi

Hi all,

Any ladies here have baby with bad reflux & refuse to drink milk?
She only take in maximum 50ml per feed @ 2.5 months old now. She is already on med given by doctor to ease the bad reflux.
She is weighing 4.9kg now & im worried about her growth!

Any tips & advise will be greatly appreciated!
Really need some help here :(

Thank you Ladies!!

Did you ever find a solution for this Shiqi? my baby is having milk refusal now...similar, only taking in 50ml per feed...

Did you ever find a solution for this Shiqi? my baby is having milk refusal now...similar, only taking in 50ml per feed...
Hi mummy, my baby got reflux too (found out at 2mo)
How old is ur baby? Please bring to PD to get advice. My pd prescribe omeprazole to help with the acid reflux, and manage her pain from the reflux. Otherwise each feeding session she would cry and scream, if we continue force her drink milk it would lead to feeding aversion.. much worse than reflux. So better bring to pd for help..

(She outgrow her reflux at around 4-5mo)

Hi, shiqi is my sister & she is usually not active on this forum.
i saw your post & told her about it. My niece has outgrown the aversion and now always ask for food.
she recommended a book call “Your Baby Bottle-Feeding Aversion” by Rowena Bennett. She bought the book and follow through what is taught inside, it can be quite tough (always worrying) but it seems to have helped her pass through that difficult phase. Hope this will help you!

Hi, shiqi is my sister & she is usually not active on this forum.
i saw your post & told her about it. My niece has outgrown the aversion and now always ask for food.
she recommended a book call “Your Baby Bottle-Feeding Aversion” by Rowena Bennett. She bought the book and follow through what is taught inside, it can be quite tough (always worrying) but it seems to have helped her pass through that difficult phase. Hope this will help you!

thank you so much for your reply! I’ve seen that book…will give it a go. When did your niece outgrow the aversion? How long was she a difficult feeder?

thank you.

thank you so much for your reply! I’ve seen that book…will give it a go. When did your niece outgrow the aversion? How long was she a difficult feeder?

thank you.

My niece drinks a little better when she hits 5-6 months old.
My sis concluded that she is generally a small eater. But after my sis enrolled her into pre-school, she became super interested in food or snack, not sure why. Always ask helper for biscuits etc after dinner.
how old is your bb now?

My niece drinks a little better when she hits 5-6 months old.
My sis concluded that she is generally a small eater. But after my sis enrolled her into pre-school, she became super interested in food or snack, not sure why. Always ask helper for biscuits etc after dinner.
how old is your bb now?
2 months old only

2 months old only

yeah my sister was super stressed back then when my niece was that age.
every feeding was a torture. It caused her so much phobia to even feed her because knowing that she won’t drink. U brought ur baby to Pd & dietician?

yeah my sister was super stressed back then when my niece was that age.
every feeding was a torture. It caused her so much phobia to even feed her because knowing that she won’t drink. U brought ur baby to Pd & dietician?
Yes they are not too concerned cos he is putting on weight well. However it is sooooo painful and difficult to maintain that cos each feed is a struggle so I am hoping he grows out of it soon as it is really depressing me.

Yes they are not too concerned cos he is putting on weight well. However it is sooooo painful and difficult to maintain that cos each feed is a struggle so I am hoping he grows out of it soon as it is really depressing me.

yes this is exactly how my sis felt back then. It is really not easy i saw how depressing my sis was back then. But just hang on there! This phase will pass soon

Do you mind asking your sister a specific question pls - did she really try Rowena bennett’s methods re bottle aversion or did your niece naturally grow out of it? The paediatrician advise I continue trying to get as much milk in as possible during dream feeds but the book suggests that I break that bad habit. I’m keen to try the book’s method but also unsure if it will work…

Do you mind asking your sister a specific question pls - did she really try Rowena bennett’s methods re bottle aversion or did your niece naturally grow out of it? The paediatrician advise I continue trying to get as much milk in as possible during dream feeds but the book suggests that I break that bad habit. I’m keen to try the book’s method but also unsure if it will work…

Hi,

Below is my sister reply:

I have used the book method and feed the minimum amt of 300ml a day, 2 try maximum per feeding session , after about 2 months, my daughter can drink finish 80ml, starting phase was really hard, i kept a note book, like eg try 1 how much milk intake, try 2 how much milk intake and total how much a day.

I only dream feed at night, to top up to the minimum amt required for her.
I have seen nuh dietitian, speech therapist but all hopeless in managing it. But they are shocked about this book and i told them it has successfully change my daughter’s feeding

do also monitor baby urine and poo too, make sure the stool and urine is fine

Hi,

Below is my sister reply:

I have used the book method and feed the minimum amt of 300ml a day, 2 try maximum per feeding session , after about 2 months, my daughter can drink finish 80ml, starting phase was really hard, i kept a note book, like eg try 1 how much milk intake, try 2 how much milk intake and total how much a day.

I only dream feed at night, to top up to the minimum amt required for her.
I have seen nuh dietitian, speech therapist but all hopeless in managing it. But they are shocked about this book and i told them it has successfully change my daughter’s feeding

do also monitor baby urine and poo too, make sure the stool and urine is fine
Thank you v much

Hi there. I’m a FTM here. I’m experiencing the same feeding issue with my son. He is going to be 3 months and I have been facing this feeding issue since he was 2 months old. People keep saying he will outgrow it. He dont show hunger cues. And we always have to dream feed him when it’s time. And it’s always a challenge to feed even dream feeding. He would rather suck the pacifier than drink the milk. There was once he can go up to 6-7hours not drinking. I really don’t know what to do. I’m always crying when the feeding time is due. Because of this I am suffering from depression. I really need help. Can you guys reach me or advice me how you all go through this? I really can’t handle this stress.

Hi Stefhanie, i do understand how you are feeling right now. back then I do experienced the same way as you feel now. i got thoughts of throwing my girl into a bin before. i was tearing even when I'm watching cartoon with my eldest one. I would say this is nt right for us anymore.

whats the turning point for me is that i felt that im over stress and baby can feel it too. The crying The amount of milk all of these are too much to handle. so what i really do is have a break and get someone else to feed my baby. my sister my helper my husband and my grandmother took turn. initally i dont have trust in them as i felt how can others feed my baby better than me. but somehow they did better, not in a big volume but at least she drank some. i dont see her drinking i hide in the room and just let have a peace when feeding her.

i also stick onto rowena book ruling, whoever feed her would have to stick to it. its so hard to see your own child in that state but i would say this is the only way to break this habits. because dream feeding is nt going to work soon, baby sleep lesser and lesser by 4 months.

Things really do get better after 2 3 months. she started soild at 5 months plus and we spoon fed her. initally was good and soon she felt pressure again and we had no choice but sticked to blw. she is still on a smaller size at age of 3 now, but she determined what she like to eat and how much she want to eat. like the previous post my sister mentioned, she is always having food in hands, cereal bread malay kwey all types.

Hi Stefhanie, i do understand how you are feeling right now. back then I do experienced the same way as you feel now. i got thoughts of throwing my girl into a bin before. i was tearing even when I'm watching cartoon with my eldest one. I would say this is nt right for us anymore.

whats the turning point for me is that i felt that im over stress and baby can feel it too. The crying The amount of milk all of these are too much to handle. so what i really do is have a break and get someone else to feed my baby. my sister my helper my husband and my grandmother took turn. initally i dont have trust in them as i felt how can others feed my baby better than me. but somehow they did better, not in a big volume but at least she drank some. i dont see her drinking i hide in the room and just let have a peace when feeding her.

i also stick onto rowena book ruling, whoever feed her would have to stick to it. its so hard to see your own child in that state but i would say this is the only way to break this habits. because dream feeding is nt going to work soon, baby sleep lesser and lesser by 4 months.

Things really do get better after 2 3 months. she started soild at 5 months plus and we spoon fed her. initally was good and soon she felt pressure again and we had no choice but sticked to blw. she is still on a smaller size at age of 3 now, but she determined what she like to eat and how much she want to eat. like the previous post my sister mentioned, she is always having food in hands, cereal bread malay kwey all types.
Hi there shiqi. Thank you so much for the reply. So basically you followed the instructions from the rowena book? You bought the book online is it? Or the physical book? It took you all how long to overcome this? Also, does your baby show hunger cues? Cause mine don’t. So I really don’t know when to feed him…

I brought the online book. and i stick to the ruling. i keep track on the intake and output closely to makw sure i hit the miminum amount of 300ml. if really no choice then i will dream feed.

initally she only drink abt 30ml to 50ml. subsequently gradually to 60ml. it take about almost 2 months to drink 80ml each feed and that is her maximum. she wont be like what all doctors/dietitian or even friends relatives said that need a minimum of 100ml plus. she is just born to be small eater.

I brought the online book. and i stick to the ruling. i keep track on the intake and output closely to makw sure i hit the miminum amount of 300ml. if really no choice then i will dream feed.

initally she only drink abt 30ml to 50ml. subsequently gradually to 60ml. it take about almost 2 months to drink 80ml each feed and that is her maximum. she wont be like what all doctors/dietitian or even friends relatives said that need a minimum of 100ml plus. she is just born to be small eater.
Thank you shiqi for your reply. It really helped me alleviate my stress. There should really have support group for this as it is really so stressful to deal with this.

yes i agree with you. its not just about the baby but also the caregiver. alot of times, the stress, the fear, the struggle, the pain u witnessed the baby suffer and not forgetting we ourselves are also still healing from the delivery. yet non of the medical professionals address to this.

thats why i truely understand you. do let me know if u need more clarification

yes i agree with you. its not just about the baby but also the caregiver. alot of times, the stress, the fear, the struggle, the pain u witnessed the baby suffer and not forgetting we ourselves are also still healing from the delivery. yet non of the medical professionals address to this.

thats why i truely understand you. do let me know if u need more clarification
Really thank you so much shiqi. I’m crying just seeing your reply. It really made me better to know that I’m not alone on this boat. I kept thinking that I was the only one on this and idk how to deal with it. Because I can’t seem to find info on this at all. I cried days and nights because of this. Now I see your reply I just have to deal with it and slowly things will get better. Just pray for the best. Thank you shiqi. Really. Really.

yes. take it slowly. i would say if needed, you can have a day break from motherhood. just one day, to go out or to do something you like. to get recharge all overall again. you will feel so much better. alot of times we really had forget who we are because all we care about is just our baby.

yes baby are important but mothers are equally important too to allow baby to thrive and grow. so we really had to take care of ourselves. jiayou. its really nt easy, but hang on there!

Hi Stefphanie, just wanted to reach out and encourage you that everything will be ok! It is extremely stressful (I have 3 kids so have experienced quite a lot and this feeding aversion was the most stressful). The more stressed you are the more you will try to get baby to drink more and that increases the aversion. I know it is tough but trust that baby knows how much to drink and do not pressure baby to drink anymore. That's the main msg of Rowena Beckett's book. Volumes will drop in the first few days when you adopt the programme but soon baby will get out of the mindset of being pressured and not fight the bottle so much. I would recommend you read the book (it's an easy read) and join the Facebook group Baby Care Advice (they give specific advice for babies with feeding aversion and it was a lifesaver!)

My baby is 4+ months now. He is still not a great feeder. His total volume throughout the day is good, but each feed can vary anywhere from 50-150! It's very unpredictable. But I just respect that he feeds when he wants to feed. He is by far the smallest of my 3 babies but I have also learnt to let go of that. He is healthy and happy and meeting his milestones.

Babies are resilient and not so easy to break! I know it must feel like a lot is on you and it's overwhelming but this stage will pass and things will get easier and better (I had bad postnatal depression with my first - I think going from 0-1 child is still the most difficult). Be kind to yourself! You are doing a great job even if it doesn't feel like it. Don't compare your experience with others. My number 1 was very difficult to take care of and I was so depressed and struggling for a long time but the dark clouds will lift. Be sure to take time for yourself too.

Hi Stefphanie, just wanted to reach out and encourage you that everything will be ok! It is extremely stressful (I have 3 kids so have experienced quite a lot and this feeding aversion was the most stressful). The more stressed you are the more you will try to get baby to drink more and that increases the aversion. I know it is tough but trust that baby knows how much to drink and do not pressure baby to drink anymore. That's the main msg of Rowena Beckett's book. Volumes will drop in the first few days when you adopt the programme but soon baby will get out of the mindset of being pressured and not fight the bottle so much. I would recommend you read the book (it's an easy read) and join the Facebook group Baby Care Advice (they give specific advice for babies with feeding aversion and it was a lifesaver!)

My baby is 4+ months now. He is still not a great feeder. His total volume throughout the day is good, but each feed can vary anywhere from 50-150! It's very unpredictable. But I just respect that he feeds when he wants to feed. He is by far the smallest of my 3 babies but I have also learnt to let go of that. He is healthy and happy and meeting his milestones.

Babies are resilient and not so easy to break! I know it must feel like a lot is on you and it's overwhelming but this stage will pass and things will get easier and better (I had bad postnatal depression with my first - I think going from 0-1 child is still the most difficult). Be kind to yourself! You are doing a great job even if it doesn't feel like it. Don't compare your experience with others. My number 1 was very difficult to take care of and I was so depressed and struggling for a long time but the dark clouds will lift. Be sure to take time for yourself too.
Hi there Jilly! Thank you so much for all the encouraging words. So you also followed the book’s instruction? But how do you know when to feed the baby cause mine don’t show hunger cues. I so just go according to the clock. And can I ask you bought the book is e copy or must have kindle than can buy.

As per the book's advice, for feeding aversion babies you follow a mix of baby's cues and clock. my baby initially didn't show hunger cues either so I just offered every 3 hours (and sometimes it was a shockingly low amount - like I would think he hasn't drank for 3+ hours, surely he can drink at least 100...but in fact, even after 3-4 hours in the early days of correcting the aversion he just drank 30mls). The key is to accept that that's all he wants to drink right now even though it goes against your instinct not to offer more. According to the book, the behaviour after applying the "golden rules" (outlined in the book), takes about 2 weeks to correct and that was the case with my baby although even after 4-5 days you can see the change.

really recommend reading the book as it goes into more detail which is v helpful.

As per the book's advice, for feeding aversion babies you follow a mix of baby's cues and clock. my baby initially didn't show hunger cues either so I just offered every 3 hours (and sometimes it was a shockingly low amount - like I would think he hasn't drank for 3+ hours, surely he can drink at least 100...but in fact, even after 3-4 hours in the early days of correcting the aversion he just drank 30mls). The key is to accept that that's all he wants to drink right now even though it goes against your instinct not to offer more. According to the book, the behaviour after applying the "golden rules" (outlined in the book), takes about 2 weeks to correct and that was the case with my baby although even after 4-5 days you can see the change.

really recommend reading the book as it goes into more detail which is v helpful.
Ok. Understood. The book only got one right? Which is the Rowena “Your Baby's Bottle-feeding Aversion: Reasons And Solutions ?

Yup that’s the one. And definitely join the Facebook page, a lot of help there and you can ask real time questions.

Yup that’s the one. And definitely join the Facebook page, a lot of help there and you can ask real time questions.
Ok thank you. Jilly can I ask. Cause I don’t have kindle. I’m gonna borrow from my friend on Sunday then she can pass to me. Can I just check cause I want to start correcting this problem like right now. I don’t want to wait for the physical book as it will take a while. So I just confirm again. Cause my baby don’t show hunger cues. So I just try every 3-4 hours but he must be awake is it? If he doesn’t wanna drink then I just don’t force just try again another 3-4hours later? Or how do I know when he is hungry. Sorry I’m asking so many questions. Cause I’m really so desperate already since I’m facing this problem for 1 month plus liao.

Ok thank you. Jilly can I ask. Cause I don’t have kindle. I’m gonna borrow from my friend on Sunday then she can pass to me. Can I just check cause I want to start correcting this problem like right now. I don’t want to wait for the physical book as it will take a while. So I just confirm again. Cause my baby don’t show hunger cues. So I just try every 3-4 hours but he must be awake is it? If he doesn’t wanna drink then I just don’t force just try again another 3-4hours later? Or how do I know when he is hungry. Sorry I’m asking so many questions. Cause I’m really so desperate already since I’m facing this problem for 1 month plus liao.

Yes - offer every 3 hours and don’t pressure even if he only drinks a little bit. Then offer again 3 hours later or when he shows hunger cues whichever comes first. Minimally he should drink 300ml a day so that he is hydrated (whatever he doesn’t drink in the day, make up with dream feeding). Baby should be awake for feeds other than dream feeding because you don’t want to rely on baby sleeping to be able to feed (which only works in the initial stage and as baby grows it will be harder and harder to dream feed so dream feeding is not a long term solution to get baby to feed).

The book has some golden rules as well to follow - if you join the Facebook group there are guides that list out these rules. Before feeding baby, show him the bottle and “ask for his permission”. If he doesn’t accept don’t force the teat in. Or if he shows signs of conflicted feeding (seems hungry but fights the bottle), stop the feed. There’s like 10 different ruleS but essentially if you want to start now without reading the book, the most important thing is don’t pressure.

Yes - offer every 3 hours and don’t pressure even if he only drinks a little bit. Then offer again 3 hours later or when he shows hunger cues whichever comes first. Minimally he should drink 300ml a day so that he is hydrated (whatever he doesn’t drink in the day, make up with dream feeding). Baby should be awake for feeds other than dream feeding because you don’t want to rely on baby sleeping to be able to feed (which only works in the initial stage and as baby grows it will be harder and harder to dream feed so dream feeding is not a long term solution to get baby to feed).

The book has some golden rules as well to follow - if you join the Facebook group there are guides that list out these rules. Before feeding baby, show him the bottle and “ask for his permission”. If he doesn’t accept don’t force the teat in. Or if he shows signs of conflicted feeding (seems hungry but fights the bottle), stop the feed. There’s like 10 different ruleS but essentially if you want to start now without reading the book, the most important thing is don’t pressure.
Hey jilly! Thanks for you recommendation. I managed to find and read the e book. Omg so many steps and pages. I roughly get the idea. But I’m so lost as to how to get the hunger cues sia. Then if like you say 3 hours I just offer but stroke the teat with his mouth if he reject I just wait again till the next 3 hours. But if he cries before that I try to give the bottle to him he still refuse then how? Just wait it out? Can I ask your child first day the intake is super little?

Hey jilly! Thanks for you recommendation. I managed to find and read the e book. Omg so many steps and pages. I roughly get the idea. But I’m so lost as to how to get the hunger cues sia. Then if like you say 3 hours I just offer but stroke the teat with his mouth if he reject I just wait again till the next 3 hours. But if he cries before that I try to give the bottle to him he still refuse then how? Just wait it out? Can I ask your child first day the intake is super little?
Yes every 3 hours. If he cries, offer. If he still rejects after crying then stop. That’s why it’s hard cos it’s confusing and the conflicted behaviour is hard to see and it’s “easier” to force feed cos you know he wants it. But it will be heartbreaking for the first few days before you start to see improvement. Remember that change is seen by their willingness to feed and not volume. Volume comes slower and later.
First few days my baby drank around 300-400 plus. After few days it increases and he didn’t fight feeding and started to show hunger cues.

now 2 plus months later he drinks 800-900 plus. He is still not the easiest feeder (slow, distracted, wakes up many more times vs my other kids to feed) but I no longer feel anxious which is the most important thing. Even when hisvolume drops I just let it be.

Yes every 3 hours. If he cries, offer. If he still rejects after crying then stop. That’s why it’s hard cos it’s confusing and the conflicted behaviour is hard to see and it’s “easier” to force feed cos you know he wants it. But it will be heartbreaking for the first few days before you start to see improvement. Remember that change is seen by their willingness to feed and not volume. Volume comes slower and later.
First few days my baby drank around 300-400 plus. After few days it increases and he didn’t fight feeding and started to show hunger cues.

now 2 plus months later he drinks 800-900 plus. He is still not the easiest feeder (slow, distracted, wakes up many more times vs my other kids to feed) but I no longer feel anxious which is the most important thing. Even when hisvolume drops I just let it be.
Okok. Cause now it’s passed the 3 hours mark but I realized he wants to sleep so I just let him sleep now. Also I just PM-Ed you my number can you contact me? So in case if I have any enquiry is it ok if I can ask you? If you’re not comfortable it’s fine you can don’t contact me I’m fine with it. Thank you!

Hi ladies, I’m a desperate ftm here struggling with feeding my almost 4 month old baby. She has got feeding aversion and I have just read the book by Rowena. I’m planning to start the program but I got a fear that it may not work for my baby. I’m really depressed and I know you ladies have been through the tough times back then. I would like to ask, if it’s possible to lend me a helping hand - moral support to get through this difficult time? I’m hoping to get in touch with any of you through WhatsApp if that’s possible. If yes, which I’ll be extremely grateful, please drop me a pm, thank you

Hi ladies, I’m a desperate ftm here struggling with feeding my almost 4 month old baby. She has got feeding aversion and I have just read the book by Rowena. I’m planning to start the program but I got a fear that it may not work for my baby. I’m really depressed and I know you ladies have been through the tough times back then. I would like to ask, if it’s possible to lend me a helping hand - moral support to get through this difficult time? I’m hoping to get in touch with any of you through WhatsApp if that’s possible. If yes, which I’ll be extremely grateful, please drop me a pm, thank you
Hi Wish88,
How did it go with your feeding aversion correction program? Would love to hear from you as I am going to start soon. I feel very helpless and stressed about it :(

Hi all,

My baby developed feeding aversion Ard 3 months and is now 5 months. We're still dream feeding him but recently he's even pushing away during dreamfeeding.

May I please please get input from mum's/dad's who has experienced this before? WhatsApp would also be great.

I'd be so so appreciative of any help at all.

Hi all,

My baby developed feeding aversion Ard 3 months and is now 5 months. We're still dream feeding him but recently he's even pushing away during dreamfeeding.

May I please please get input from mum's/dad's who has experienced this before? WhatsApp would also be great.

Hi nachobaby, i read a book called bottle feeding aversion by rowena bennett. The book teaches us how to 'fix' bottle aversion in babies, mostly because parents force fed (of course out of love and care - just like my case).
If you buy the book, you can join their private facebook community called "baby care advice". They would have questions for you to answer before approving your request.

My baby boy is almost 3 months and developed bottle aversion... he is now much better in terms of behaviors, he is no longer rejecting bottles - but his milk intake is not as much as he used to be in the first 2 months (700-900ml). I figured he is just over his growth spurts and I am learning to trust he knows his body and needs best, so I am trying my best not to put pressure for him to drink as much as what I expected. These days he takes around 500 to 700 (occasionally) in 24 hours. Despite the low milk intake, he's been gaining weight steadily every week.

Also, i tried different feeding places while he is awake and found he does not like to be held while feeding. He loves to be laid on the bed (with props of course) for feeding. This way, he feels he is free to move around while sucking the bottle. I came across an old post in this forum where other mom tried this position, I gave it a try and it works for me.

I'd recommend you to check out the book by rowena and see you'd like to also follow the method. All the best and pls you are not alone ❤️

Hi Wish88,
How did it go with your feeding aversion correction program? Would love to hear from you as I am going to start soon. I feel very helpless and stressed about it :(

Hi, I’m sorry for the late reply. For me, the programme went well, it takes a lot of courage and determination to follow the book but it works. It took me around 3-4 weeks to cure my baby. In between I did see slight improvements. I know how difficult it is to go through this as a parent. Please feel free to drop me a message and ask me anything and I’ll try to answer you.

Hi all,

Hi you can pm me I’ll try to help.

Hi nachobaby, i read a book called bottle feeding aversion by rowena bennett. The book teaches us how to 'fix' bottle aversion in babies, mostly because parents force fed (of course out of love and care - just like my case).
If you buy the book, you can join their private facebook community called "baby care advice". They would have questions for you to answer before approving your request.

My baby boy is almost 3 months and developed bottle aversion... he is now much better in terms of behaviors, he is no longer rejecting bottles - but his milk intake is not as much as he used to be in the first 2 months (700-900ml). I figured he is just over his growth spurts and I am learning to trust he knows his body and needs best, so I am trying my best not to put pressure for him to drink as much as what I expected. These days he takes around 500 to 700 (occasionally) in 24 hours. Despite the low milk intake, he's been gaining weight steadily every week.

Also, i tried different feeding places while he is awake and found he does not like to be held while feeding. He loves to be laid on the bed (with props of course) for feeding. This way, he feels he is free to move around while sucking the bottle. I came across an old post in this forum where other mom tried this position, I gave it a try and it works for me.

I'd recommend you to check out the book by rowena and see you'd like to also follow the method. All the best and pls you are not alone ❤️
Hi Sobbi!

Thank you so much for your reply. How old/heavy is your boy now?

My boy is also taking in about 500-700ml everyday but it's below his "minimum recommended intake" for his weight... He's 5.5 months old but stands at 8.9kg - hahaha.

I'll be getting that copy! My boy doesn't quite know how to grab the bottle and feed himself yet that's why we still feed him (we do let him hold out hands/ part of the bottle etc tho). And sometimes we lay him down (but elevated - b'cos he does choke on milk, lol ) but nothing really helps w his drinking...

I know some say to just let them "starve" to break away from the sleep feeding but gosh, it's so scary...

Hi Nachobaby, my boy is 3 months next week and around 5.6 kg last week we weighed him... his intake is now around 500ish (sometimes 400ish).. 700 is somewhat a miracle now to me... but I have decided to not stress about it as long as he is active, have 4-5 wet diapers a day and with regular bowel movement. His intake is also incredibly below recommended intake by normal standard... that was the reason I kept on forcing him to drink last time which led us to the aversion episode. Till now, I am still learning not to panic and told myself as long as he is drinking above 300 a day is good. If below 300, i will dream feed him to avoid dehydration. Really not easy, it has caused me a lot of tears, break down and stress... my parents told me I was not a big drinker when I was a baby too (even until now I am not a big eater and rather on small/petite size). Maybe thats why my boy is also like that and standard recommended might not apply to him.

I also tried to "starve" him with 4 to 5 hours in between feeds if he does not show hunger cues. Sometimes he only takes 40, but occasionally he will also take 100-120... very unpredictable.

The book by rowena is good as it gave me confidence to trust my baby more and that he knows his body and his needs more than anyone else (including me who just blindly followed the standard measure). But, i found some tips not very practical to our case such as limiting offer only 2 on each feed, so i would just observe and still encourage my boy to drink as long as he is not annoyed/crying... if he is annoyed or started crying, i would just end the feed.

8.9 is very good for 5.5 months :) from few very kind experienced moms from this forum, they told me not to worry too much.. they said now that their kids went through the phase, some gained really good weight despite the low intake, some kids are rather on the lean side anyway... my brother's 2 daughters were apparently the same.. they drank much below intake recommendation and were (are still) muchhhhh below percentile. So, guess its just in our genes...

Hope we get through this phase soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back