RAI (Radiation) effects on pregnant women and babies

hifive

Don't understand why both parents are perfectly normal but gave birth to child with special needs?? Read this .....

Searched internet, rang hospitals hoping to be warded for the initial first two days of Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatment - hyperactive thyroid. No hospital in Spore allowed it. At SGH, no matter how much I explained, highlighted my worries, the need to be away from my girl, the clinic nurse, Nuclear Dr and his senior said for low dosage, there's no need and no facility to accommodate my request. It is not a standard practice to admit low dosage RAI patient in Spore. I was given this paper:

What's printed is different from what I was told.

Nuclear Dr said it is perfectly alright to take public transport as long as I don't sit next to or be close to babies and pregnant women for more than 30 mins. How would I know a woman (in first trimester) is pregnant? Her tummy isn't showing so how do I know who is safe and unsafe to be near? It is hard for me to be 1 meter away from my girl or any "pregnant woman". Many people hesitated to give up priority seats in mrt because some pregnancies are not obvious. One friend who worked in healthcare line checked for me and was told some RAI patients .... for the sake of young children (below 5 years old) and be "social responsible", decided to book a hotel till the radiation wear off. All these are not reimbursable. No insurance company or company welfare won't take in your "hotel" claim.

Taking a taxi (small confined area) is still considered "unsafe" in my opinion because you won't know immediately after you, did a pregnant woman get into that taxi. Don't understand why some people didn't think far and play safe for the benefit of others. You may want to say the possibilities are extremely low .... but it can occur to an unlucky person, especially when the RAI patient happened to cough or sneeze.

You can't blame the RAI patient because Dr ....a person deemed to be very professional assured it was ok and ignored the unforeseen circumstances. Egoistic doctors just felt patients have over worried, they hate patients who are not submissive.

As you can see from pic, my RAI treatment is in Dec. Dr said I am fit to resume work the next day. He and his senior felt I have over reacted. I don't want to be finger pointed for any "mishaps/unfortunate things" so I don't intend to tell my colleagues I'm going for RAI treatment.

Attachments

• RAI treatment.jpg
    RAI treatment.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 206
Radioactive iodine (RAI) is a common therapy used in the treatment of thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism. It is taken up and concentrated by the thyroid cells and the radiation, in turn, kills the cells. Much higher doses are used for the treatment of thyroid cancer than hyperthyroidism. Although generally well tolerated, a number of side effects may occur and there have been concerns about the effect of radioactive iodine on reproductive function and fertility.

Pregnant women are at risk of exposure to nonionizing and ionizing radiation resulting from necessary medical procedures, workplace exposure, and diagnostic or therapeutic interventions before the pregnancy is known. Nonionizing radiation includes microwave, ultrasound, radio frequency, and electromagnetic waves. In utero exposure to nonionizing radiation is not associated with significant risks; therefore, ultrasonography is safe to perform during pregnancy. Ionizing radiation includes particles and electromagnetic radiation (e.g., gamma rays, x-rays). In utero exposure to ionizing radiation can be teratogenic, carcinogenic, or mutagenic. The effects are directly related to the level of exposure and stage of fetal development. The fetus is most susceptible to radiation during organogenesis (two to seven weeks after conception) and in the early fetal period (eight to 15 weeks after conception). Noncancer health effects have not been detected at any stage of gestation after exposure to ionizing radiation of less than 0.05 Gy (5 rad). Spontaneous abortion, growth restriction, and mental retardation may occur at higher exposure levels.

Using common sense, it seems reasonable to avoid intimate contact for a few days (kissing, hugging, sexual activity, sharing food etc) as there may still be small trace amounts of radioactive iodine in saliva or other body fluids and secretions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/health/policy/25radiation.html
http://i131safety.com/2012/03/20/what-is-the-effect-of-radiation-on-others/

Whether or not there's a risk on pregnant women and babies... there's nothing you can do. This is the Spore practice! If you get hit like me, blame on your bad luck.

If radiation is one of the main reasons for child born with special needs, it might be better than being finger pointed that you did something wrong and this is your karma. If there's proof or somebody bother to look into it then lesser people will end up with special needs children.
http://maid-employer.blogspot.com/p/special-needs2.html

It is perfectly safe to be around children, babies and pregnant women while you are having your course of radiation therapy treatment. Most of the ways a pregnant woman may be exposed to radiation, such as from a diagnostic medical exam or an occupational exposure within regulatory limits, are not likely to cause health effects for a fetus.

Radioactive iodine can destroy all or part of your thyroid. While there are instances when you don't need to destroy the entire gland to alleviate your hyperthyroid symptoms, the total destruction of the thyroid is most often necessary.

We also provide the best Radioactive Thyroid Ablation Treatment at an affordable price. if you want to know more information about this then you can easily contact us : Radioactive Thyroid Ablation

Back