Prenatal yoga

I've attended prenatal yoga for 2 prior pregnancies and this current pregnancy. I would strongly recommend it.
Exercise is good for both you and baby's development.

Just a word of caution, as with all exercises, know your body and yourself.
At present, I am about 7 months plus.
Some days, I am very flexible and can do wonderful stretches and hold poses for long periods, better than even those who are only 3-4 months pregnant.
Some days, I just feel lazy or feel that my body isn't up to it - on those days, I still attend class but take it super easy. Just always LISTEN to your body. During pregnancy especially, exercise including yoga is NOT A COMPETITION (I say this because I am quite, okay, very, competitive and when not pregnant, will always push myself as far as I can, especially if I see a more flexible class member :) )

I attend classes at Pure Yoga for all 3. They have prenatal classes 3 times a week.
If you are experienced at yoga, you can also attend normal hatha classes - just avoid the poses which make you lie on your belly or which use a lot of abdominal muscles. Most of the instructors will be able to give you alternate poses to do while the rest of the classes are doing these "barred" poses. Avoid hot yoga classes and higher level classes. If you are not familiar with yoga, suggest you confine yourself to the prenatal classes at least for a month or 2 until you gain some familiarity. Then depending on your confidence level, you can try the "normal" classes. Speak to the instructor before class.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks sunny72 for your suggestion.. Yes, I do think attending the class is helpful too esp for us if intending to natural birth. But Pure Yoga might be a it far for me.. I'm looking more of the west side.

Wafflesholee may I know where's the venue of your centre? Thks

Hi thanks sunny72 for your suggestion.. Yes, I do think attending the class is helpful too esp for us if intending to natural birth. But Pure Yoga might be a it far for me.. I'm looking more of the west side.

Wafflesholee may I know where's the venue of your centre? Thks
the instructor comes to my place every sunday morning at my preferred time.
I am working and i realised that many pre natal yoga places only have classes in the early mornings which i am unable to join.

Ic that's so convenient for u... But I guess it was quite costly??
its $60 a lesson but it is really convenient as i don't have to drive and park anywhere. Lessons are also very personalised…they have classes at their studio and they have other group lessons at your preferred venue as well..

Have you tried googling for centres in the west? Sorry, I'm not personally aware of any specific centre but I'm sure that there must be at least one.
Prenatal yoga is quite popular nowadays.

Alternatively, you dont have to join a prenatal class. Just visit the centre near you and talk to the instructor to see if he/she is okay with taking you on board.

Hmm not yet.. Actually my due is ard June, will be attending childbirth course soon & they teach prenatal lesson too. Will do more walking & climbing of stairs too ... Hope it helps..

Be careful about the stair walking. I did too much in the last week prior to my 2nd delivery.... my knees still hurt nowdays, 3 years on. Walking on flat ground probably safer.

Actually I climb stairs due to work.. As I need to climb the overhead bridge in order to reach my officr building.. So no choice! Haha

That's like 1 flight up and one flight down, maybe twice a day. That's fine. When I say " too much", .... err... 20th storeys at a go.... is probably too much :) :)

What can I say, I wanted a natural birth and the damn gynae was threatening to induce me again... so I overdid it :D

Mild exercise is fine.

Hi, I'm currently doing prenatal pilates. Did prenatal yoga during my 1st pregnancy, found it was quite good but naturally it depends on the instructor. The place I did it before is Inspire Mum and they are still running the courses (not affiliated)

Am week 37 now, have been attending yoga since week 24. I luv attending yoga classes as it helps to tone n stretch all parts of your muscles. Started to feel breathless this week but by going yoga , it helps to tune your breathing. I go to como shambala for pre-natal yoga. They do offer pre-natal Pilates as well ..

Hi, I went to Como Shambala at Orchard Delfi for my prenatal yoga classes. Teacher Charmaine is absolutely excellent, I highly recommend her classes - I always feel really good after her classes. And she has the most calming voice ever. I started in Week 14 and stopped in Week 38.

Hi, I'm currently doing prenatal pilates. Did prenatal yoga during my 1st pregnancy, found it was quite good but naturally it depends on the instructor. The place I did it before is Inspire Mum and they are still running the courses (not affiliated)

Where are you doing prenatal Pilates? Would like to try Pilates but seems like Yoga is more popular, can't find any centres or mayb I'm searching wrongly...

Hi, any advice on which week is the best time to start prenatal yoga? i read it says from 12 week, but thinking should i wait till later in 3rd trimester? i am also looking a trial or 2-3 sessions to try.. which centre have such?

Hi I have membership under sadhana sanctuary ( premium yoga club) they have prenatal Yoga available. I still left 20 session selling to transfer @ $10 each in whole of 20. Their prenatal is 4 classes pass. Do pm me if you are keen. Do goggle their website for more info.

Hi

Anyone can share on prenatal pilate and what is the difference between prenatal yoga and prenatal pilate.

Thank you for sharing.

Hi, any advice on which week is the best time to start prenatal yoga? i read it says from 12 week, but thinking should i wait till later in 3rd trimester? i am also looking a trial or 2-3 sessions to try.. which centre have such?

I started prenatal yoga at week 12 and continued all the way till week 38 (which was a few days before I delivered). Attended the classes at mother and child centre at Tanglin Mall, you can request for a trial class before signing up for 4, 8 or 16 classes package. Instructor is very good and supportive in our pregnany journeys, and I managed to apply the breathing technique picked up during prenatal yoga to undergo labour and natural delivery without epidural. So I'd say, go for it! :)

I think better to go into prenatal yoga when you're in 2nd trimester. Especially if you never done yoga before. I joined in my 2nd trimester, planning to do it all the way till I'm due in Oct :) I pay by per session (in a block of 20 sessions). So I find more flexible that way also. My instructor is Sally. I think she's very experienced!!
This is her blog: http://relaxinyoga.blogspot.sg/

@beac i read her blog. she seems to be very good. I was wondering how much do u pay for per session? or u can pm me on the pricing ?

She teaches in real yoga only at the Tampines location! I paid real yoga for the sessions... Let me check.... $580+GST for 20 sessions. :)

Does anyone do prenatal yoga by following youtube vids? Sometimes I feel like doing yoga but it's not convenient for me to go to the studio....any particular videos to recommend?

I go to artofyoga at Upper East Coast. Love it! I'm also planning to watch YouTube n do some at my own free time coz cannot remember all the moves.

Back