Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Drive to the farm lor!
And in my post abv , i wrote "Swan Valley, they could go to cuddly animal farm. "

hi mngo,

would there be public transport there to get to swan valley?as we are not self driving,so was thinking of taking the train to the farm

goodbb
ive not seen any public transport there. I also don't know where the busstops are at swan valley.

HI Mngo
Thanks for your advise. I will need to re-plan my schedule and then go email the accomodations to book a place. Then will also need to look at car rentals. As we will land in the middle of night, not sure if worth to rent it on arrival or to start only the next day. And a lot of smaller car companies (cheaper ones) tend not to have pick up at airport after 9pm.

hehe... my kids are so used to squeezing with us. Normally if we go overseas, we will make do with 1 queen size and 1 single.

Sunflower - yes, i agree, the chalet a little run down, but ok lah. I been there some 4 years back... Pemberton Farm chalets looks better and came recomended by my bro, but just hesitating over the drive...

I forgot about Cuddly Animal Farm!!! Kept thinking oly Caversham wild life park and its high charges... Perhaps will add it in there.

Hi Linda
In this case, if there's no pick up at airport after 9pm, then you may want to consider taking taxi to hotel first.

Hi,

Have intention to go Perth in month-end June, any idea of the weather during that time? I heard that it's raining season.
sad.gif

I see, I'm juz afraid that it will be raining season during that period and probably day tour will be very sian if kept raining right.
sad.gif

HI Mngo

happy.gif
I check the car rental, apparently, there is no price diff btw picking the car the night before and the next day at 9am. So I think I rather pay the surcharge for late pick up than pay for the taxi, since there is 2 families.

Any comments on sand dunes at Lancelin? There is this website I saw on Desert Storm but it is very costly, was thinking if I can visit the sand dunes myself and the kids just run around those dunes. Any experiences on that?

Linda
Lancelin? Wow - that's so far away!
We wanted to go, but turned back cos it was simply out of reach.
Because winter weather is so unpredictable, it may rain , it may not. So i cannot advise you with regards to that.

Hi everyone,

I'll be going to Perth with my family in June for about 6 months. Need some advice on relocation. would appreciate if u have any input on the following:-

1. Asian supermarkets:- Any good ones to recommend?
2. Fresh meat/fish- are there wet markets like in Singapore or do people get it from the supermarkets?
3. Car- We intend to buy a car and sell when we leave. any reputable companies? what's the price range?
4. Child Carseats- where to get cheap ones? I don't mind 2nd hand ones.

thanks
happy.gif

Wah lau
why everyone wants this good, tat good, supermarket good, hotel good, asian supermkt also must be good.

wats the diff man?! they all take same thing from same wholesaler.

April, to reply you
1) Asian Supermarket
Which type of Asian? Vietnamese, Indonesian, Malaysian/Singaporean, Cambodians, Thai, Japan, Korean, Philippines ?

Can you define good?

2) Fresh fish/meat
There is a wet market at Canning Vale. It's whole sale and you can buy non frozen fish. But i am not sure if it's fresh from the sea though.

3) Go to John Hughes.com . They are reputable car seller.

4) Go to perth gumtree to get your 2nd hand stuffs.

I have some balance Aussie dollars from my trip, and will like to sell it. Rates negiotiable. Pl pm me if you are keen.

we've just returned from a tiring 10 day trip to perth and Western australia but kids really enjoyed it!

sunflower farm was not as bad as i was expecting, except for the chill when the fire went out in the middle ofthe night.

margarets forest holiday apartments in MR was wonderful.. really value for money as it was very well located, and very very modern and clean.

also stayed at comfort hotel perth city - family room was large, and clean. location kinda out of the way but not a problem for us as we drove.

btw, if anybody would like to buy over our vodafone prepaid sim card for phone calls and sms and internet usage, pls PM me or sms 94235480. we've got 400MB of data left, and $100AUD worth of phone calls and smses. However, the $100 expires on 25 May. SMS would cost 35 cents and a 5 min phone call back to sg cost us abt $1. we were in perth for 10 days, and used the internet excessively checking directions, google maps, places to eat, and surfing for fun. only used 100MB doing all that. letting go the sim card for only SGD30 (negotiable).

Thanks!

hi happymrskoh, weather in Fremantle and Perth was quite warm. kids just wore a romper inside and long sleeves outside. only required additional sweater at night. in MR, it was really cold though. layered 3 layers in the day, at night 4 layers. maybe u shld prepare long john just in case.

Hi Jules
Glad you enjoyed your trip!
We are going to stay at Sunflower too. Did you try to use their BBQ?

We will be going in mid june. Honestly, I cant wait. Most stuff been arranged, left with 1 night accomodation in Busselton which I have not confirmed.

Did you managed to go to any orchards for fruit picking? I tried emailing the 2 but till date no responses. I do so hope to have the kids have a try at the fruit orchard but i know the insurance thingy is stopping a lot of the orchards from doing so.

Any comments on MR places of interest? We are intending to visit Choc/Soap/Fudge factory, Candy Cow, Cape leeuwin, Hamelin Bay. Then of course stay at sunflower farm.
happy.gif

That cold in MR?? Hmm... I better be more prepared since mid june will be even colder.

hi linda,

It was rather rainy during our stay at sunflower, hence really chilly and muddy outside! so didnt try to use their bbq!

Also, wasnt able to find any orchards for fruit picking, cos of the insurance thing! Goldfields orchard in donnybrook has also sort of closed down, (emailed them to ask about fruit picking).

We found MR really really nice and relaxing.. scenery was great too and we all loved that part of the trip more than the Perth city/Fremantle part! Choc factory was yummy and my kids really went nuts over the free choc samples! Candy cow was ok only... honeycrunch show at 11am, honeycrunch tastes nice, but other candy was not great, and we found that cheaper and nicer candies could be bought at Coles or IGA. did not go to soap factory. went nuts cereal factory - again nothing much. Cape Leeuwin and Hamelin Bay very pretty... we saw giant stingrays all the way up to the shore! go in the morning!

Other places you should visit if you have time -

1. Voyager Estate - very very nice pretty landscaped grounds, and a gorgeous rose garden! never saw soooo many pretty roses of so many colours and shades before. Just go in to walk around en route to hamelin Bay (it's on the way)

2. Sugarloaf lookout and Bunkers Bay (near Dunsborough, abt 45min drive from MR). Again, great scenery and my girl just loved the view of the coast from there.

Do make time to add in the above 2 places if possible! the factories and candy cow can be done in 1 morning.

Have a great time!! we did!!

Hi Jules
Thanks!!
I was just wondering what I should be doing in MR. Planning to drive to MR via Yallingup Shearing Shed Show, visiting some of the "factories" before checking into Sunflower. Did you have a chance on their tractor ride?

Will KIV Voyager Estate
happy.gif
Since that day enroute to Hamelin is still rather relax.

It is indeed sad if the kids dont have a chance at the fruit farms. about 5 years ago, when me and daughter went with my brother and his family, we managed to sneak into a private owned farm and pluck some apples. It was really a thrilling experience.
happy.gif
Then enroute, we passed by an orange farm and the owner was so nice to show us around. I hope we have a chance to this round. Already planning to bring along some Singapore souveniors to "bribe" those owners hahahaha....

any food places you would recommend?

hi linda, you can just drive in to walk around. vineyards are just there for you to see.. think all harvested liao. there is a restaurant inside that's award winning and apparently very good but we didnt try it.

we took the tractor ride. very fun! saw kangaroos hopping in the distance and got chased by some cows! haha..
happy.gif

eating places.. hmm we just ate along the way wherever we were. cooking was much cheaper! hogs breath cafe in perth city has free kids meal for every adult meal ordered on mon and tues! google for the exact address. takeaway pizza at 4AUD each on tuesdays for major pizza chains eg pizza hut.

Thanks for the food lobangs! Will def keep that in mind, cos now the exchange rate is so high! We will be cooking most dinners at the apts since the kids will prob need some hot soupy stuff. Well, at least my kids does! Typical chinese. :p

Haha we were all craving for hot soupy stuff by day 3!! Oh wild thyme cafe in mr town opp Coles has quite nice hot food. We tried the laksa and thai coconut chicken and were quite impressed! Carbonara very good too! each about 15aud per main. Spaghetti bowl was not bad but found it ex... 25-35 for each main course.

Hi Jules
Great! We will be visiting Wild Thyme then!! If not, the kids will prob be eating a lot of maggi noodles. hahaha....

For the sake of others visiting perth and looking for fruit picking. Spring Valley Orchard allows that!!!!
happy.gif
$5 per pax, they bring you on a mini tour to show how apples are cut into apple crisp, tour ard the orchard where you can take photos and pick apples. The price include 1/2 kg of fruits plucked.

Cheers!!

oh you managed to find an orchard to visit! good for u! and thanks for sharing that info! wish I had been more thorough in my research :/

hi,

may i know where can we buy the sim card in perth?does it come with a data plan?thanks a lot,
is it cheaper to buy a sim card there for iphone so as to call back spore?thanks a lot

goodbb
You can buy simcard anywhere, even in airport.
When you ask where, are you asking for the exact shop location or the service provider brand?
Also where abt will you be staying , so that we can advise you accordingly?

Whether or not it comes with dataplan does lie greatly with the service provider.

It is not cheap to make international calls out from perth to anywhere using mobile phones.

Check this here :
http://telstra.com.au/mobile/prepaid/rates/

Other providers are Optus, Three, Vodafone, Dodo, Crazy Johns, Virgin.

hi,

i will be staying in criterion hotel for a week,for the prepaid sim card,does it include data charges?cos thinking of using skype to call spore since it is ex to call home,which type of card to buy is more economical?

goodbb
i already mention
<font size="+1">Whether or not it comes with dataplan does lie greatly with the service provider. </font>

There is only one type of card for you mate. That is Pre Paid.

goodbb
check out boost prepaid.
$40AUD for unlimited talk time, unlimited text (sms), unlimited facebook, plus 3gb web for 30 days when in australia

Hi,

May I ask, if I would like to visit the chocolate factory in margaret river, can I go there from busselton or augusta? Am thinking about staying in pemberton farm. Where is the cheese factory? Will the chocolate factory in Perth city the area better?

Sherlyn
Yes you can. MR is in between Busselton and Augusta.
Augusta is further down south.
Cheese factory also ard tat region. You have to google.
I din know Perth city has choc factory after living in Perth all these years!

Hello ...

Has anyone gone on a whale watching trip before? I've booked for one to board in Augusta. Wondering if there's anything to take note of. Going to strap my 6mth old on me with the Bjorn. Also lugging my 2 yr old toddler along.

Anymore reviews on Bunbury's dolphin discovery center? Still worth making the trip for?

Also looking for AUD. Do pm me if you've any. Let me know your rates and pick up location.

HI Mngo

We are leaving for Perth on 15th, getting packed is a headache already. Understand the temp has been dropping rather steadily and strong winds expected in Southwest this week.

This boost prepaid you talking about is under telstra? And only for local to local calls yes? Sounds like a great deal, will note it down in my notebook.

Another thing to ask, I was searching thru Perth international airport online, either I am not very good at it or the airport seems really empty. We will be arriving at 2135hrs, and will love to get something for the kids to munch on way to hotel or for breakfast next morning. Nothing like a singapore 7-11 (ie 24 hours convenience store) there in the airport? Or what do you call these stores, if any, in Perth? I was trying to see if there are any near our hotel in whereis.

Or if you do know, I be staying at Mountway Apartments, next to King's Park. Appreciate if you do know of any.

Hi mngo,

Thks for yr advice. I read from margaret river choco factory tat there is one outlet in perth. :)

Now i cant wait to finalise everythg. I hv not even book accomodation.

hi mngo

thanks for the info

any 1 remember if harbourtown is opened till 9pm on thursday or friday?how about Westfield Carousel Shopping Mall?

Linda
Boost prepaid is not under telstra.
This is the website : http://www.boost.com.au/?gclid=CO22wZiEo6kCFQPabgod9ma9ug

Some comes with intl call cap. Some local only. You do have to ask them to find out more.

The airport is PATHETIC! There is nothing to eat lor. There is no 7-11.
I also dunno if Dome in airport is open or not by then.

In the city , there should be some convenient shops. BUT i wont advise you to go at that late night cos it's really dangerous!

Goodbb
can you go to habourtown website to chk opening hours pls?

Westfield is open til 9pm from mon-friday.
But only woollies, coles, target , kmart will be opened. The rest of the shops will be closed.

Hi Mngo
So much so for an international airport yes? Sigh, I think we are pretty used to the conveniences in Singapore. So now I must go figure what the kids can eat for that night as well as the next morning. I will HATE to lug along a 900g can of unopened milk. So hoping to buy at those 7-11. At most I lug along 4 x 125ml pre pack milk hor? At least "dong" until next day late morning when the shops open.

Perth city that bad meh? I thought people say North Bridge is bad. When I went NB many many years back, being a naive student, I went like "Wei Wei!!!! Look!! There is someone trying to break open the car!" My friend went "SHHHH!!!" and pulled me away.

From another corner of the street, my friend went lecturing me on that being a stupid thing for me to do and say while I continue to look with amazement how so many people can pass by and pretended to see nothing.
sad.gif

Ooo...time to check Westfield out!
happy.gif
I love shopping in Australia supermarkets.

Hi mango,
Roughly latest by what time need to go back hotel ?cos if shop till 9pm by the time go back to criterion hotel will be 10,considered quite late?

Hi,

We r leaving next friday to perth. I hv fixed up the itinery and dh (who has been seriously busy outstationed till tmr) suddenly gave me some questions so i needed some urgent help. Thank you.

1. Anyone visited scitech? Any idea how long would i need to finish that centre?

2. Any recommendation to accomodation for a night around Donnybrook? I will be visiting the apple farm after leaving pemberton, but will be too tiring to go perth direct.

Out of 8 nights, 4 nights are planned to be in city. Felt very silly. So trying to shift some nights out. I hv original set aside a day for scitech and a day for caversham. Want to see if it is too much.

Many thanks
Sherlyn

Back