Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Hi everyone,
I'm back from perth on Tue nite
Now still busy unpacking and cleaning up
It was quite cold the week that I was in Perth
But I think it just happen to be that 'odd' week.. I heard that the week before I went and the few days after I came back temperature was high again

and yes, must remember to pack lip balm and moisturiser. It's very dry there. I didn't bring either of it and within 2-3 days our lips started to crack and our skin started to get flaky. After we bought it, it was fine.

shelyn
time flies, u back already. hope u & your family enjoyed the trip
happy.gif

Hi moonbaa,

Overall the trip was quite enjoyable though there were hiccups here and there. We really enjoyed and appreciated the interactions we had with nature and animals there, which we hardly get in sg. It was a very good experience for all of us.

And actually I don't really find it easy to drive around Perth. Maybe cos both me and my hubby are not good with directions. We tend to get lost. Luckily we manage to get a GPS (which was a blessing in disguise. We were not supposed to get it as it was fully booked. But when I book my car, I did not state my flight number so they sent my car to the domestic airport. International airport did not have any GPS left. When I went to domestic airport to get my car, they managed to get 1 for me in the last minute)

Ok. Let me give a summary of what I did during my trip.

Day 1:
After the hassle of travelling to domestic airport, get my car, find my car and GPS etc, it was 4+ to 5. Quickly drive to Mont Clare, check in. No time to go supermarket so cooked instant noodles which we brought from sg. By the way, the check for food at custom was quite strict. They confiscated the 'Po Chai' diarrhea pills and half-eaten bread (those u get from bread shop with tiny bits of cheese on top). But they din ask me to open my tin of milk to check whether it's opened or unopened.

After dinner and shower, drove to coles to buy some groceries and breakfast for next day.

Day 2:
After breakfast, drove to Whiteman Park. Played at playground, took train at 1pm, then went Caversham Wildlife Park. Reached there around 2pm. Saw many animals and watched Wombat show and farm show. Felt cheated. They say everyone gets a chance to milk the cow but in the end there was no milking of the cow.

Left the park ard 4pm. Reached apt, quickly cook unpack, prepare dinner.

Day 3:
Went Woolsworth until 10+ then drove to Cottesloe Beach. It was so super windy and cold!!! Totally unprepared for the cold weather in Perth. Luckily I pack 2 jackets for my toddler. I only brought a shawl for myself. All other clothings are shorts and polo tee. It was so cold, my girl felt cold even with the jacket she was wearing so I wrapped her with my shawl.

Played at the playground for a while. Then went down to the beach. Cos of the strong wind, waves were very strong so did not go near the water at all. The sand was very white and fine and sea shells were all over. My girl loves picking sea shells (even at the dirty East Coast Park) so she quickly bent down to pick. The strong wind blew the fine sand until it kept hitting my legs (cos I was wearing shorts) and face and it was quite painful. Then had to shelter my girl from the mini sand storm while she pick here sea shells in peace. Was so scared that the sand will fly into her eyes then I'll be in for lots of wailing.

After the beach, we went frementle for fish and chips. Went Kailis. Found the fish and chips at OZ plainer than sg one. I think cos they use very fresh fish so not much marinating. Sg one tend to be more salty and lots of tartar sauce. The one at Perth is more of 'original' taste. My daughter was fascinated with the sea gulls. Kept going out to see them. After eating, the chips was so much we can't finish and she had a happy time throwing it to the sea gulls.

After lunch, planned to go back for nap then go for shopping since it was Thur and malls are opened late. But my daugther woke up ard 6+ so in the end din go shopping.

Day 4:
went supermarket again. Then check out of mont clare. Drove to King's Park. Wanted to look for Lotterywest Family Area. But ended up at Lotterywest Federation Walkway instead. Din do enough homework. I tot they are nearby. Then drove round and round still can't find. End up went to Synergy Parkland. Played around and ran around. The sky turned very dark, look like it's going to rain so quickly went back to car. Din give up and tried to look for lotterywest again but still can't find. Gave up and drove to Margaret River.

Along the way to MR, realise there are many stops for shopping. Many coles, woolsworth and others and petrol station also. But I expected to be driving along the sea. Quite disappointed that there's no scenery to see. It's just dried and deserted land. Maybe I went by a different route.

Wanted to try the fish and chips at Busselton but when I reached there it was almost 5 and the shop was closed. Some routes at Busselton was also closed off for some trialton or something. So din get to go to the busselton beach too. The drove to Sunflowers Animal Farm.

When we reached the farm at about 5+, it looked deserted. There was nobody to welcome us, no counters opened, nothing. Only 2 big dogs which looked intimidating and barking as we went nearer. Even with the dogs barking, still nobody came out. We were wondering wat to do if nobody check us in? Where are we going to stay the night? We went back to the car and drove around the farm and the dogs barked even louder. Then finally the 2 hosts came out from their apt. Showed us to our apt and I quickly got ready to prepare dinner. It was VERY cold at the farm. At nite, it felt as if it's winter. I'm sure the temperature was below 20 in the nite. It was especially cold in the toilet. I was shivering when I went in to wash up.

And I also realise that the water from the tap at the farm is yellowish. It looked totally undrinkable. Honestly, I was quite shocked. Maybe I did not do my homework well enough. I thought all tap water in OZ is clean enough. As I was caught un-prepared, I did not have enough clean water to prepare for drinking. Luckily I brought along 3 litres of tap water from the city. I expected the water at farm area to be not as clean as city so I brought the city water for my daughter to use. So I had to ration the 3 litres of water for the next 3 days at the farm. The apt also has a water dispenser. But the water is not very clean as well. I saw some tiny particles floating in it but it's definitely better than the tap water. So my hubby and I relied on the water dispenser while my daughter used the 3 lites of city water.
By the 3rd hour in the apt, my hubby and I already felt like going back to Perth.

Day 5:
Played and fed the farm animals. Had pony ride and bottle fed the baby sheep.

Left farm around 1030 for candy cow, choc factory, nuts and cereals, etc. Then had lunch at spaghetti bowl. Went coles to buy groceries and mineral water.

Went back to farm for nap. Tractor ride at 4pm. Quite disappointed. Read from many reviews that there will be a marshmallow bbq and stopping by a stream to play with rubber toys. But this time the farmer only drove around the farm. Nothing much to see and do. Quite boring in fact.

Then went for more animal feeding. The flies are starting to get real irritating by now.

Day 6:
Farm activities in morning again. Then left the farm ard 9+. Doesn't want to stay for longer cos of the irritating flies and severe lack of water. Went Cape Mentelle. Bought 2 bottles of wine theb drive back to Perth. Stopped by along the way to buy groceries.

Reach Mont Clare around 4pm. Check in and quickly unpack. Have dinner and rest.

Day 7:
Went supermarket again. Then drove to King's park again. Yes, it is to find lotterywest family area again. And this time round, we found it. Was lost for a while then we start to ask around. It was worth the effort. The playground there is so much nicer and suitable for small kids. And they have a number of different sections. My daughter had a good time there.

After that, we went frementle again cos my daughter kept saying she wan to feed sea gulls. This time, we went to circellos.

After lunch, went back to apt for nap. Then had dinner.

Day 8:
My hubby brought the kid to playground near Mont Clare while mummy stayed at apt to clean up and pack up everything. Check out around 10am and left for airport. Then home sweet home.

Overall comments:
Mont clare apt was nicely decorated and clean enough for my family to use. The receptionist was quite friendly though I read some reviews that the receptionist was stuck up. Maybe they changed the recep... I'm happy with Mont clare stay. But probably I won't stay in the city next time as most of the places I go to are not in the city. I'll maybe choose to stay near the beach.

Sunflower Animal Farm is interesting cos of the animals. But some animals can get irritating. There was a duck and a chicken roaming around freely which went around pecking at people's feet. Then there was a billy goat which appeared from nowhere behind me. After feeding the kangaroo with my daughter, we turned around and saw that goat behind us and gave us a big shock. Then it kept following us (actually it's the pail of food we were holding). It was quite scary actually. I quickly dropped the pail on the floor and ran away with my daughter. Other than that, the other irritating animal at the farm is the endless flies. GOSH! I've never seen so many flies swarming around. My daughter din really know what's a fly. After the trip, she's now very good at spotting flies. If she sees one, she'll quickly say 'shoo shoo go away'.
Also, contrary to what I read earlier, I don't find the farmers friendly. The lady host was quite ok. Not particularly friendly but ok. The male host looked quite unhappy and unfriendly throughout my stay there. Maybe I went at the wrong time.....

Lastly, I really love the beach. Though I only went to cottesloe beach, I think most beaches should be about the same. Even before we reach cottesloe beach, while driving, there was a road going downhill towards the beach. Wow that scene was really captivating. I never imagine I can see such scenery with my own eyes. I've always only seen them im calendars, photos etc. Luckily my hubby was driving, not me, so I can enjoy the view more hehehe..... If I ever go there again, I'll choose a beachfront apt so I can enjoy the view everyday.

hi shelyn
great that your trip turns out well & your family enjoyed it.

lucky u manage to get the GPS, otherwise it would be rather difficult unless u hv ready maps. i always will get GPS coz its much easier & convenient to move around.

my kids also enjoyed themselves so much at the lotterywest playground. i read that the synergy is more for older kids so didnt go. lotterywest is good enough liao.

wa, u really bring along 3L tap water to MR? actually u can just buy fr supermarket there.

moonbaa,
I only realise I can buy from the supermarket on my last day at MR. I saw the 15L mineral water. Haha.... nvm next time I know.

Oh and last time you took qantas also? They changed the plane model for both my flight. I think maybe they running out of planes cos of the grounding recently. It's not the 330 stated in their website. It's a much older version with no inflight entertainment at all. The only entertainment is the movie they screened on a big screen in front and the shows they screen are dunno how many decades ago one. Sigh.... can't they just change to a newer show for godness seek =P

shelyn
oh gosh, they changed to those lousy plane. so did u hv brought your own entertainment for your gal? i usually will bring portable dvd player to entertain my kids, for inflight & apt/ hotel stay.

moonbaa,
Yah I brought along colouring materials and books to entertain my girl. They also gave out the Elmo bags with colouring material inside. But luckily she spend almost the whole time sleeping on the way back so it was quite ok.

And I can't believe that the kid's meal, which they serve chicken nuggets, is spicy. When my girl told me it's spicy, I din believe her and continue to feed her and she refuse to eat. Then I tasted it myself and it's really quite spicy, especially for a 2.5 yr old kid. In the end there was nothing for her to eat except for some mashed potato. So she went to sleep after drinking a big bottle of milk.

But I'm considered lucky. My colleague's flight, also qantas and coming back 1 day after me, was delayed for 5 hrs. In the end she reached sg at 3am. The journey was not very pleasant also cos many passengers drank alcohol in the bar at the airport to pass time. By the time they board the plane they were quite rowdy and many kids were crying. Sigh... Poor kids....

shelyn
ya i agree, their kids meals really no good. service also sucks, dont think i will take qantas again.

lucky u, i definitely wont enjoy the flight back with such passengers, lousy inflight entertainment, not to mention their lousy service.

hey mngo and moonbaa,
I also agree that their service sucks. It's the 1st time I'm taking qantas so I was like 'huh? Their service like that also can?' Then I told my husband maybe next time we should pay more for SQ. Now I know why SQ is always voted best hahaha.....

Hi Shelyn,

Me back too! On 14 december 930 pm. Very tiring! My hubby totally drained out by the driving. Think we both getting old le haha..

Customs didn't check our luggage. Only asked got milk powder or not, cos the lady officer saw my girl. After that we cleared via green zone. We even brought in two boxes of OSK green tea for my hubby's auntie who lives in perth. Phew!

Does your GPS give u problem? Mine need full addresses most of the destinations we were going. Luckily i got take down all the addresses before departure. That time I even thought i crazy, why take down addresses when got GPS already. haha.. lucky manzzz...

Sigh, comes to car issue. Booked toyota tarago but was given toyota kluger in the end. Luckily never bring 4 large luggages, only 3 large ones. Else really cannot squeeze into the car le. Hertz gave us a coupon for free car upgrade for our next booking. SO that means i sign on for australia for next year too? :p

Whiteman park was beautiful isn't it?
happy.gif
I love the place and took the train ride at 11 am. But i soon got bored in the train when it started to make one round around the park haha.. nothing much to see along the journey.

Caversham park: i quite disappointed with it. entrance AUD22 for adults but under expectation, dun u think so? The wombat and friends show is a failure if there are many pple around. We just simply take 1-2 shots and left the small pathetic stage. The farm show is ok, but for sheep shearing, we saw a much much better one at yallingup shearing shed. If u have the chance to go perth again, go yallingup shearing shed!

Fremantle still as great as 6 yrs back heehee... stayed at quest harbour village for 2 nights. Lovely views of challenger harbour and the fishing boats
happy.gif
Too bad pier was closed, so didn't see the boats sail out.

Kailis is definitely better than cicerellos. Ate cicerellos at mandurah. Kailis is still softer and taste fresh as well. And we also ate the seafood platter at kailis! Lobster!! Scallops!! Prawns!! All barbecued and so fresh!!

regarding water, found the water yellowish and dun taste good in margaret river. When go busselton and mandurah areas, its ok already. Anyway my mil continue to boil water everyday and fill up water bottles. But my hubby say taste a bit salty and i feel it taste "copper-ish" so we bought bottles of pure drinking water from petrol station and supermarkets when we see them.

sunflowers animal farm was fun! we really enjoyed it. And through all the animal feeding at the farm and yallingup shearing shed, my girl really into animal feeding haha..everyday she say she wanna feed animals. And that's one way to get her to bathe and change fast in the morning, ready for the trip.

Didn't go to kings park in the end, although in my planned itinerary. Replaced by garden city shopping and harbourtown shopping. Also went to Big W recommended by friends who also travelled there this time. Guess wat? Bought 14 dresses for my girl. Pumpkin patch, cotton on kids, etc etc...

candy cow was interesting and i really love to see the honeycrunch pour
happy.gif
And taste the fresh honeycrunch after the show. But didn't make any purchase here.

I am really happy all the accommodatin i have booked are really good. All very memorable. At Dolphin House at Busselton, the 2nd morning there, we actually saw a dolphin swimming across the house. Jetties at Bouvard (near mandurah) was a great luxury house. How i wish i am rich haha..

Oh ya, rockingham, forgot to mention. Took the cruise to penguin island and seal island. Saw sea lions frolicking in the water and penguin feeding. Very nicey!

Now can't recall all the places we went to..

MR chocolate factory - went to both in margaret river and swan valley. Chocolate tastings and simmos ice cream available too.

Simmos Ice Creamery at dunsborough - wow, many flavours, see until blur. Nice waffles
happy.gif

MR providore - good olive oil. Nice organic gardens. Nice lunch!

MR Nuts and cereals - i bought muesli here. Small place, but very nice owner
happy.gif

Leeuwin estate - we purposely drive down from busselton as hubby really want to eat there again haha.. nice lunch.

Voyager estate - great sparkling grape juice and lovely huge gardens!

Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse - no regrets returning here again. Placed into my itinerary day before departure haha.. hubby's sister love the scenery there a lot.

Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse - supposed to go there, but i replaced it with cape leeuwin lighthouse. But anyway got time so we dropped by, and its under maintenance, sigh!

Bunbury dolphin discovery centre - really crap. Worse than 6 yrs back. Under maintenance somemore.

oh, lip balm, very important! We applied it like once per day, is sufficient for us. For sunblock, brought but didn't use. Me and hubby only applied olay SPF24 and good enough le.

My hubby's sis applied lanolin cream and placenta cream bought from tasmania last year, so definitely very useful there
happy.gif

kk
wow your trip seems great & fruitful!
biggrin.gif

will KIV those luxury houses for my next trip haha...

we also booked toyota tarago but was given hyundai imax which we love it! coz actually tarago seems abit small, similar to our estima here. dont think can fit all of us (3A+2C) with our 3 large luggages & 2 small ones. so we were lucky that we got the imax, very spacious.

Hi Moonbaa,

Ya we already mentally prepared we will need to struggle with tarago. Yet they gave us kluger which was worse sigh!

Think hertz dun have hyundai imax leh...

u know why.. think partly confusion on hertz side. I changed my trip from 5 dec to 3 dec. They say ok. But ok means no tarago meh? They should know have or dun have, and keep record on their side mah.

Initially i didn't expect them to say ok, so i booked hyundai imax with avis for 2 days then will return it and pick up tarago from hertz on 5 dec. SOunds silly to drive down to airport from swan valley just to pick up the car from hertz but its one solution. But who knows they say ok, but yet say no tarago and gave us kluger instead.

Oh, u must be asking why must be hertz haha.. cos hubby company got corporate rate for hertz :p

wa kk, u seem to go to a lot of places huh. For me, the whole trip is like learning journey haha... All about animals, plants, gardens etc. All nature related. Din shop for anything except food. The water at MR really look quite scary to me. I dun dare to drink it even after boiling. We use it to wash dishes n after washing we'll rinse with bottled water. Very kiasi rite haha... oh my gps also need to key in exact address from state, street name to unit number. They cant search by name of place rite? I find it quite silly. Luckily i printed out maps which has exact address. But half the time they cant find the exact place also so got to choose nearby address.

hey kk, i wonder when we can hv corporate rate for accommodation, car n maybe SQ flight hor hehe... That'll help to boost tourism industry, but of other countries haha

kk
yeah was thinking why die die must hertz?
biggrin.gif

Water in MR
actually i didnt even notice leh, coz i bought all drinking water fr the supermarket. only boil to make coffee, so cant see the colour haha..
biggrin.gif

GPS
my gps also need exact address & sometimes still cant locate the place!

shelyn,

Ya lor, need full addresses. And i didn't bring any map along nor pick up at airport haha.. luckily got keep a set of addresses, else really chiam.

moonbaa,

true true! Sigh, GPS really give problem at times. The most useful part is that its able to give the nearest restaurant or supermarket haha..

moonbaa,

was intending to pick up at perth airport. But the hertz lor, made me confused already, so ended up just picked up car and went off haha.. hubby's sis picked up some brochures which were of not much use.

Hi kk,

You had a wonderful trip indeed! Can share ur itinerary? So Dolphin House was worth the price? I can already imagine the dolphins swimming by liao!

haven't been checking the thread for a while..

shelyn & kk,
thanks for sharing your itinerary here! don't mind can share your itinenary with me too?

Moonbba,
thanks for sharing previously.. I have yet to book anything for the perth trip which is scheduled this April. Should I book accomodation, car rental etc on my own or should I engage a tour agency to help me? It's our first time to Perth.. What are the things that I need to do if book the trip on my own? I am actually not very proficient in this kind of stuff...

As mentioned earlier on, we will be minimising travelling..Not driving to MR or somewhere far. Is car rental neccessary? If yes, should I pick up the car at the international airport or at the hotel? What is the recommended car rental company?

Thanks!

and, forgot to ask.. Is there a counter at Mont Clare Apt lobby that allow us to enquire on places of interest and help us to make bookings etc?

happymrskoh

there's a small reception counter at montclare, i'm not sure if they do tour bookings but there are some brochures at the counter which should be helpful to u. alternatively u can make a trip down to Oz tourism office at united sq, where u can get brochures as well. it will be very helpful for your trip planning.

most mummies here booked ourselves for car rental & accommodation. it depends on how long is your stay & where u like to cover. for 1st timer, u will not want to miss fremantle which can go by train fr city area, if u choose not to drive. i'm not sure which are the rest of the attractions that can reach by bus or train coz i usually self drive for all my trips. since u like to minimise driving, u can consider just to rent car for a day which u can explore swan river which is only 30mins drive fr the city. the rest of the trip u can either explore by bus or train.

for car rental, there are quite a few to choose from. u can consider bayswater, m2000, avis ... etc. think rates for m2000 is most reasonable & affordable but u still need to do some homework & get quotation fr these car companies to compare.

hi moonbaa,
most prob we will be hiring a car since we will be there for 6-7 days. will do some research on the car rental.. thanks. other than car rental and accomodation, do I need to book tours as such those winery and farm day tours?

Would like some comments on the places of interests that I have shortlisted:

Day 1 - King's Park/ cottesloe beach
Day 2 - Swan Valley (margaret's chocolate factory, winery )
Day 3 - Swan Valley (whiteman park, Caversham Wildlife Park etc)
Day 4 - Farm tour/ Fruit picking tour
Day 5 - Fremantle
Day 6 - Aquarium or penguin tour? or dolphin tour? (do I have time for more than 1 activity?)
Day 7 - shopping

Too little activity? Or too much? Did I miss out any interesting place?

Thanks..

happymrskoh

personally i would think getting a car is more ideal as u can take your time to explore the places u want. moreover not many places of interest can be reached by public transport.

kings park
- beautiful park, u can explore the treetop walk & there are a few playgrounds cater for different age group. like the lotterywest family play area or synergy park. my kids enjoyed very much at the lotterywest.

cottesloe beach
- not been there, but heard its beautiful. one of the mummy just went, u may scroll up to read on feedback.

Swan MR choc factory
- nothing much, just a normal retail shop but they do hv a small area to demonstrate choc making.

Swan winery
- not been to any, as my kids are still young

Whiteman pk & caversham pk
- caversham pk is inside whiteman pk. my kids enjoyed caversham as they get to interact with koalas, kangaroo & also animals feeding.
u can check out http://www.whitemanpark.com.au/ for events or train rides (seasonal) which i missed.

i didnt do any farm tour in Swan, so cant comment. my recent trip is to the orange farm, (only avail then). u may like to google search on what fruits are in season for picking & liaise with the farm directly.

fremantle
- its better to go during the weekend as its more 'happening' since the weekend market is open.

aquarium, penguin or dolphin tour
- didnt go to any penguin tour.
wanted to go for the dolphin tour but the boat ride not suitable for young kids.

shopping
- personally i prefer suburban malls as its bigger & more variety.

hi

any 1 went to caversham pk
via public transport?is it convenient?
as our package is a free n easy package without self drive

Hi mommies

I;m so glad to find this thread - I am planning for a trip with my hubby and 4 year old boy in April.

Booked my air tickets (on really good discounts now) BUT have not thought about the rest at all!!! Thus need all the advice! :)

Any advice on the below will be most appreciated!

Hotel
- any recommendations for city centre and fremantle? Plan to spen 2 days in town and 1 day in fremantle.

Farm Stay
- any recommendation for 4 year old boy?
I am also thinking maybe it's more worthwhile to visit the farms and not stay there, cos the initial pricing came back to be A$200 per adult. Quite exp....

will be going to perth for 10d9n stay and considering staying at sunflowers farm. But after reading shelyn's review, now a bit scared! Lugging 2 kids along who are 1.5 and 4, so accomodation cleanliness very important leh. Anyone else stayed at sunflowers farm? Are the units clean for children to run and crawl in? regarding drinking water, i'm fine as i intend to buy mineral water to boil and use the whole way anyway. Do they provide laundry service?

Can anyone help regarding parking in perth/fremantle/margaret river? We will rent a car to go to MR, but am most bothered about parking. Any parking issues, ie not enough parking spaces in town?

Also, how was parking in perth city, eg when going to kings park, cottlesloe beach, whiteman park? In fremantle any problems too? cos if not much issues with parking, I will just rent a car the whole way... we will most likely base ourselves in fremantle as we dont like places with nothing open at night!

pls pls help! thanks so much!

Jules
Sunflower farm - i've stayed. but i wont dare to allow my kids to crawl! Everyone wears shoes into the unit. And it's not that clean. It is just ok. I wont stay there anymore. No laundry service.

Parking in Perth - there are a lot of multistorey car parks. As long as u dun mind paying, u can easily find places to park.
It's not like singapore - got money, no place to park.

Same for fremantle. I normally park at Wood stores shopping ctr. Parking is easy and free anywhere / everywhere in MR.

Are all shops Fremantle open at night?
There are some shops that opens till 9pm . But if you want the kind of shopping in sg, then u will be in for disappointment.

Hi mngo!

Thanks for your reply on my post in the thread regarding sunflowers farm!

Am actually quite put off at spending a night there (really cant stand rooms that are not clean)... not to mention 3 nights cos my original plan was to spend 3 full days in MR exploring the surroundings. we also wanted to stay at sunflower farm mainly cos of the free pony rides and tractor rides that only the inhouse guests get to enjoy! But the room pic really quite a turn off, and plus the reviews from yourself and another mummy.. double sigh!

Any suggestion on how to overcome this? I would like to visit sunflower farm as a visitor in the day, but stay elsewhere (considering Margarets forest - but do you have any other suggestions? My budget is about 200-250AUD a night). However, my girl loves pony rides and horses.. any other farm stay which provides pony rides and has nicer accomodations?

Thanks in advance!

wrt parking - that's really a relief. Yes, i dont mind paying at all, as long as it's easy to find a lot!

Jules
U can book Vintages accomodation. There are also other nice places at MR. Then make a trip to sunflower farm to visit the animals.

What's margaret FOREST?

Hi girls,

Planning for a winter trip to Southwest region and perth late June with another family friend, each family has 2 adults and 2 kids ages 7 -3.

Like to ask for opinions and recommendations on places of accomodation and eateries in our itinenery. Please advise
happy.gif

Day 1:
Arrive Perth late at night. Stay overnight along Great Eastern Highway. Just need a place to sleep so looking for budget hotel, any recommendations?

Day 2:
Late breakfast then move out to Mandurah Foreshore to feed seagulls. (1 hour drive)

Move out to Busselton (2 hours drive). Visit Busselton Jetty and Nautical Lady Entertainment.

Last stop at margaret river, check in. Any good nice ones?

Day 3:
Visit places of interest like
1) MR Choc Factory
2) MR Olive Soap factory
3) MR Nuts & Cereal
4) Candy Cow
5) Simmos Ice Creamery
6) MR Dairy Factory
7) MR Fudge Factory
8) Berry Farm Brewery

Day 4:
Move out early to Yallingup Shed for 11am show (40mins drive)
Free & Easy to finish whatever we couldnt finish the day before.

Day 5:
Move out from MR to Augusta Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse (40 mins drive)

Move out to Pemberton Farm Chalets (1 hr 33mins)
Do some grocery shopping, stay for the night.

Day 6:
Farm activities in morning and afternoon
Hang around

Day 7:
Farm activities again in morning
Check out and leave for Valley of the Giants tree top walk (1 hour 44mins drive)

Back to Perth - Wonder should I take the route via MR & Busselton or the other way which will pass some towns we did not see?

Day 8:
Perth Attractions:-
Kings Park
Cottesloe beach
Whiteman Park

Go to Fremantle and have dinner there. My friend is leaving tonight.

Day 9:
Finish up whatever we couldnt finish the day before in Perth and leave for airport for flight at 9pm.

Do you think the above is do-able? Or should I spend one day less in MR or farm and stay in Perth longer. Is there any other attractions you think I left out or that I included which you may think I can give it a miss? Attractions in perth city itself, anything?

Thanks for any valuable advise!! Accomodations recommendations appreciated.

Linda
Day 1:
>> You do need to google a bit. I know that the whole stretch has a few hotels/motels.
But i've not stayed there so i cant help.

Day 2:
>> MR Accom : Vintages Accom and Leuwin Apartments.
But do make bookings early.

Day 3:
>> Visit places of interest :
You may have to chk the address of the places u wanna visit, and plan the route. Otherwise you may end up going up north , down south for different areas.

Day 5:
Move out from MR to Augusta Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse (40 mins drive)

Move out to Pemberton Farm Chalets (1 hr 33mins)
Do some grocery shopping, stay for the night.

Day 7:
Back to Perth - Wonder should I take the route via MR & Busselton or the other way which will pass some towns we did not see?

>> We normally 'biah' back to perth as quickly as we can by highway.

Day 8:
Perth Attractions:-
>> Whiteman park is of a diff place from king's park and cottesloe. So you may have to consider the time spent. Because it's winter, the day gets dark much earlier.

Hi mngo

Thanks for your feedback, yes, i do understand that days are shorter during winter.

Do you think those attractions in MR I have listed, mainly those factories, will take a long time to finish? I am wondering if I should just stay put in MR farm or move to Pemberton farm.

Also, most accomodations i see restrict like 2 to a room. My kids sleep with us even in our home.... do you know if they are like very strict in this matter?

Linda
Those factories are really small.
1) MR Choc Factory >> this is not very big. Next to it is MR Providore .

2) MR Olive Soap factory >> I am not sure if this is the one i went. I went to an olive oil retail shop and they have nice Olive Tapenade.

3) MR Nuts & Cereal >> This is not even a factory. It's a disappointing retail shop tat sells nuts/cereal

4) Candy Cow
I din go

5) Simmos Ice Creamery
This is just another ice cream shop.

6) MR Dairy Factory
I din go

7) MR Fudge Factory
Small, pathetic overpriced retail shop with a window looking thru the fudge making process.

8) Berry Farm Brewery
This is not really brewery. It's not a berry farm either. It's a retail shop that specialises in jams , berry related wine, liqueur.

HI Mngo,

Ooo.... I still thought I would want to spend 4 nights in MR. Looks like I would be bored there. Guess from all those "attractions" in MR< i can finish them within a day? Hmm, perhaps, I would have to source for more stuff to do with the kids.

Denmark - Valley of the giants - worth to go?

Saw in the previous thread that "Kurragen" or something like that, has apple farms... though not in season then, I thought perhaps the orchard owners will allow us to pluck left over apples on trees. :p

I will include another day in Perth for Chittering Valley where Golden Grove Orange Orchard is. Perhaps there is also something for apples along the way.

Anywhere else you would recommend that I go?

Hi Linda
Actually, 4 nights in MR will be too long and bored for kids. You can bring the kids to caves, lighthouse, sunflower farm. I think there's also sheep shearing show around MR region.
3 nights is just nice.

I've not been to Denmark.
As for the Karraguen Apple farm - the season is in April-May (if i can remember). But no harm giving them a call to see if you guys can pluck the left over apples.

Kids Sleeping
They dont normally care. Hahaha....

Other places
You have covered most of them. Will you wanna go Fremantle ?

Hi Mngo

I am still trying to figure out my final itinerary now that 4 nights in MR is too long. During the time in MR region, I mainly plan to visit all those factories places mentioned, Yallingup Shearing Shed, Cape Leeuwin in Augusta. Caves i will skip as i have a 3 year old with me and i understand that most caves restrict entry to those under 5.

I still dunno if I should plan to stay at Pemberton Farm chalets or just make do with Sunflowers Animal Farm. That will determine if I will visit Valley of the Giants in Denmark.

Reason why I am hesitating to go Pemberton is due to the long drive, dunno how the kids will take it though we drove to KL before.

Kids Sleeping - you mean when you book, you book for one room 2 adults? I seen a few accomodations, those hotels in Perth and MR kind of state that you must "declare" how many adults and kids we have despite us knowing we can make do with 1 queen size bed in one room. Some of them "insist" that we book a 2 room apartment based on my family of 4.
sad.gif

Other places - Fremantle yes, we will go. But from memory, nothing much especially if I fail to make it there on a weekend... no weekend markets to roam. Only E-shed which to me, really nothing leh.

Perth city itself doesnt have much yah? Other than parks... Was toying with Caversham Park, but entry is expensive and I wonder if it is worth paying for since we already have farm stay experience... With the AUD higher than USD now, really ex.

Karraguen Apple Farm - Thanks for the info. Will email them to see if they allow us to. That will be great for the kids, even left over apples tastes SO good. I remember some 5 years back when we were in Perth, we drove by a family owned orchard, and the owner were so kind to allow us on their premises to pluck whatever they have left on trees... they say those apples were "not good enough" for sales and we can take as many as we want. WOW!!! We went crazy!!! Apples have never tasted so nice before.
happy.gif
Goes to show how suaku we are. :p

MR > will you be visiting all/most the wineries? If you are, then 4 nights will be enough. Otherwise, there's nothing much for the kids.
Oh, you can bring your kids to Hamelin bay at MR.
There are sting rays there and that's the only beach without waves. Really nice place.

Sunflower > I personally don't like their chalet.
It's not too clean and it's run down.

Kids Sleeping > yea. when we book, we only book 1 room for 2 adults. But we told them we have a child with us and the child will not need extra bed.

1 queen size bed for 4 pple will be too small isnt it? And it's a norm that we have to declare the number of adults and child. I think they want to charge extra, they also need to prepare the towels etc.

Probably it's also their hotel association's regulations?

Perth city ah ... apart from the pathetic shopping, you can check out their museum, bell tower, take a cruise, art gallery. As for Caversham park, i find it over priced. For people who wanna try farm experience at Swan Valley, they could go to cuddly animal farm. And it's only AUD5 a person. But of cos there isn't cafe in the farm, so u hv to bring your own picnic basket.

The right spelling for the apple farm is actually
Karragullen. Thats the town where the apple farm is.

Back