Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Sherlyn
Scitech -> We've been there. My son loves it .. We spent 3 hours there, and we think it was too short!
The next time if i go, i will go early and spend at least half a day there .

Koala -> Cuddly doesnt have koala. Another place u can see koala is Yanchep national park. And also at Cohunu wildlife park

Hi Sherlyn

Not an expert on Perth, but suggest you try for accomodation in Bunbury instead, that's the nearest bigger town to Donnybrook. Donny brook is a relatively small township with little if any hotels.

We are leaving on next wed, also have about 5 nights in Perth City, but we are just using that as a base to explore the areas around. We will be visiting Pinnacles, Chittering, donnybrook out of those 5 nights. The remaining we will see King's Park, Whiteman Park and Lake Monger and perhaps do a little tourisy things like visit Fremantle and Habourtown.

How about Swan Valley? Are you intending to visit there?

Winter nights come early, so I was also advised not to plan too many activities in a day.

Hi Mngo,
Your advise is noted. I decided to be KS and bring along a loaf of choc bread and 2 packets of kids liquid milk since DAFF says eggs in bread are ok cos its cooked and milk is manufactured in Singapore. At most reach customs get thrown away. Then really no choice, as I didnt want to lug along a 900g tin of milk.

Has it been rainy recently? I saw the Perth local reports stating rain these few days but another friend stated sunshine. Rather confusing.... Hahaha

Hi,

Am I glad to find this thread. Lots of information sharing here
happy.gif

Will be traveling with my 2.5yo boy coming early august for a 2 wks break. Will do the Perth-Albany-Pemberton-MR-Busselton-perth route. My 2nd time doing this route. I guess I have more than enough time to do a leisure trip.

Hi mommies

May I have your comments on this self drive itinerary?
We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children(3yr and 5yr)
Traveling in October.

Thanks very much!

-----------------
Day1, Saturday
Perth city- groceries, kings park
Plan to stay at mont Clare apts

Day 2, Sunday
Perth - hilarys harbor, aquarium of western Australia

Day 3, Monday
Day trip to swan valley, whiteman park (caversham wildlife park)

Day 4, Tuesday
Check out of montclare
Busselton- jetty, lighthouse, etc
MR - check in MR Hideaway

Day 5, Wednesday
MR region

Day 6, thursday
Check out of MR Hideaway
Busselton - to finish up what we didn't on day 4 eg underwater observatory, yallingup shearing shed (11am)
Return to perth
Check into montclare

Day 7, Friday
Cottlesoe beach
Fremantle
Maybe kings park area

Day 8, Saturday
Royal Perth Show (or alternative plans)

Day 9, Sunday
Return to SG

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your help. We survived the trip.
happy.gif
. Was very busy before that doing all the planning, then after that it is school re open. We enjoyed ours, and I hope you have enjoyed yours tremendously too.

happy.gif

sherlyn

Hi Lilipit,

We just went this June. We did not go to the AQWA but my dh's colleague went and said that it is not worth. Our underwater world is better.

As for yallingup shed, we enjoyed ourselves very much. We are advised to arrive 10 minutes earlier and after buying the tickets, the kids are given feed to feed the sheep. My kids of age 7 and 8 enjoyed themselve very very much.

Caversham also has sheep shearing, but we feel that the one at yallingup is more professional. The one at caversham is more like a show. The shearer did not seem to be professional in the show we attended.

no comments on underwater ob cos it is closed when we went.

Have a good trip.

Cheers
sherlyn

Thanks sherlyn! We're so looking forward to the trip. Yup, did some research and Thot yallingup was worth a visit
happy.gif

Where did u stay?

Hi Mummies,

I'm travelling to Perth in Septemeber with my 2 kids, age 2 and age 6. This is our first road trip and any advices will help!

1. Can anyone advice if chinese food (eg. porridge or rice or noodle soup) is easily available for kids in perth city? Any recommendation...as both my kids is very chinese.

I am staying at a bed&breafast around Como area so i cannot cook, therefore i need to find resturants or eatery.

2. For those who been to swan valley, i be staying there for 3 days, is it easy to get groceries to cook? As i have make reservation for the entire farmstay, should come with cooking facilities.

3. May i know where in perth city i can buy groceries? Like fresh milk or daily necessities? I'm planning to drive to a supermarket right after my flight touch down at perth airport.

4. We planning to drive so we intend to rent a car, any advice which car rental is good which i can pick and drop at airport? With GPS and baby seats? I think both kids should need the baby car seat..

Thanks!

Reenie
1) Yes , the chinatown is near to the city, you can even walk across . So there are plenty of chinese food. you can also get chinese food in every food court.

2) There is a mall in the swan valley region. It's called midland gate shopping mall.

3) In Perth City , there are 2 woolies. One is near to Forrest Chase. The other is along St george / Adelaide terrace. There are also chinese groceries shop in north bridge.

4) Sorry, i cant help. It seems like there are some changes in the picking up and dropping off procedure in airport.

Hi mngo,

Do you know if there's any parking near woolies/ Forrest chase at Murray/barrack street? Been googling and looking at the satellite pics but there does not seem to be a good place to stop the car. I think it's in the CBD area?

I too also intend to chiong from airport to supermarket. Arriving at 2.40pm on a Saturday
sad.gif
think most shops will be closed by the time we pick up rental car and reach our accom.

Hi mngo,

Thank you so much!!! I am really super grateful for any great advice.

Here's my plan so far, not sure if this is good enough, do give me any feedback if you see anything miss or can add on:

Day 1: Check-in around late afternoon, unpacked and go for dinner in perth city

Day 2: Kings Park, Swan Bell (anything else?)

Day 3: AQWA and Scrabourge beach and harbourtown Shopping

Day 4: Frementle

Day 5: Check out, head to SV farm stay
(not sure if any orchard can visit on the way)

Day 6: SV, farm activites and explore surrounding

Day 7: Half morning at SV, check out afternoon to airport.

This is our first time driving in Perth so i am not sure the time taken from one place to another, the planning is more "conservative".

Thanks!

lilipit
There are parking around/near. Check on wilson parking, CP Parking. Yes - city is in CBD. It is orchard + robinson road + raffles place all in one.

IGA opens till late on saturday. Coles and woolies open till 5pm. But not sure about the woolies in town.

Reenie
AQWA is not worth to go. Sentosa under water world is better.

Fremantle weekend markets only open on weekend.

Thanks Mngo!
I managed to locate one near where we're putting up. And I google street map to confirm that there's parking outside. Cos we have young kids with us so want to be more sure about getting groceries etc with ease and confidence. Cheers!

Hi mngo,

In this case, what other activities would you suggest for a day? Seems like i have one full day! hahaa...thanks!

Reenie
You can spend your day at the beach.
Skip AQWA . You dont need to take one whole day to visit AQWA right? It's just prob a couple of hours.

mngo,

thanks for your advice!

i plan to visit the Scrabourge beach, what you think?

is there any orchards worth visiting during Spring?

Or should i travel down to Rockingham/Mandurah area instead on my Day 3? I came across these 2 place during my search, but don't know if its worth visiting or not.

Reenie
Yea , Scarborough is nice.
Cottesloe is nice too and there are lots of nice eateries at Cottesloe.

I dont know what fruits are available during spring...
sad.gif

Rockingham has penguin island, which you may want / wish to check it out. Mandurah is slightly further down south, but it is a nice place.

Reenie
These are the places where they have kids stuffs
1) harbourtown
2) kmart
3) big w
4) David jones (expensive)
5) myer
6) target
7) all westfield shopping malls. They have cotton on for kids, pumpkin patch, and best and less.

Hi mngo!

thank you so much for the list of places to shop!

i will probably visit the beaches with kids, hope the weather is great around mid-september.

what is the typical temperature like? i am pondering what to pack for the kids.

Hi,
Will b in Perth n MR fr 1-10 sept. Now is abt 8-19 degree so will b warmer during my trip? Shd we still need layer or just outer jacket will do?

In sep It may be cold at night. Better bring a jacket, but sometimes depending on your tolerance, one outer jacket may not be sufficient.

Muffin
it will be warmer than now, but then if it's evening, it's colder than the minimum aircon temp (18 degrees).

hi Ladies
Here's the temperature.
Average Spring Temperatures
September: Daytime 18-21C
Overnight Minimum 9-12C

Looks like it is not going to be as warm as Singapore.

Reenie, hav u booked your rental car?

You can check for your credit card companies for any promotions on car rentals. Can key the promo code when booking rental car online.

lilipit,

Yes we booked
sad.gif
with Avis. Did not checked any credit card offer
sad.gif
You know any?

mngo,

thank you for the weather info! useful! should be cold for the little ones, so i guess i will bring cardigarn/tights for them to wear underneath jeans..haha

Hi reenie
Maybank has. But with terms and condition, turns out no further discount with Avis. Think cos peak period when I travel. With hertz, there's discount.

But in the end we rented from Avis cos we wanted a specific car model/type.

Reenie, notice you're going to swan bell area.

I intend to jalan the area as well, more as a time filler if we end our day early. Was also thinking of taking the public ferry (transperth) from the nearby barrack street jetty, to and fro, just to let the kids experience that. Cheap too cos it's considered public transport. Keke.

Think 20 min ride each way. Operating times and pricing at transperth website. Last ferry about 7 plus pm.

lilipit,

Thanks for sharing! i didn't include the ferry ride stuffs, sounds good.

We intend to take this trip slow and easy with 2 kids, heard the park and beaches are great. Hope the little ones will enjoy
happy.gif

How's your planning looks like?

Hi reenie
My kids same age as yours!

This is my rough iti.

Day 1 Saturday
Arriving late afternoon
Get groceries from IGA outlet
Check in, East Perth

Day 2 Sunday
Swan valley
- whiteman park (train ride, tractor museum)
- caversham wildlife park (within Whiteman park)
- mondo nougat
- house of honey
- cape lavender (for scones)

Day 3 Monday
Hillarys harbor
Kings park

Day 4 Tuesday
Check out, proceed to MR region
Yallingup shearing shed
Busselton jetty
Cape naturaliste lighthouse
Buy groceries
Check in at MR region

Day 5 Wednesday
Explore MR region, including
- choc factory
- candy cow
- Mammoth Cave

Day 6 Thursday
Animal feeding at farmstay
Check out, proceed back to Perth
On the way, retrace if we couldn't finish the stuff on Day 4
Swing by to Donnybrook - Apple Fun Park (big playground)
Gnomesville (off Donnybrook)
Head to Perth, check in

Day 7 Friday
Fremantle
Cottesloe beach

Day 8 Saturday
Perth Royal Show (stay for fireworks at end of day)

Day 9 Sunday
Check out
Midland gate shopping centre
Airport - home sweet home

>>> Reenie and fellow mummies, any comments to improve, let me know. Thanks!!

Hi Lilipit
You have just given me a very good reason to take ferry across the river . I think i will do that since i've never taken before. lol

Hi all,

Planning for my early Sep trip now and would like to check if you have any advise/opinion on the following:

1) Is Mandurah worth stopping by on the way to MR? What are the things to do/places of interest?

2) Should I do both Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin or only either? Which is more beautiful?

3) Dunbury dolphins - really can see huh?

4) Rottnest Island - worth making the trip?

5) Perth Hills, Kalamunda - worth making the trip?

6) Izzit stroller friendy in & out of Perth?

TIA!!

Tinsel
1) Stop by Mandurah if you just wanna see the surroundings or probably even take a cruise.

2) Do Cape Leeuwin. Cape Naturaliste is not as tall as cape Leeuwin.

3) Bunburry - no guarantee.

4) Nope. Expensive ferry , not worth for a day trip.

5) Do you wish to visit and ride camels, go kalamunda market (weekend) , visit the dam? If not, forget it.

6) Yes. it is SUPER SUPER EXTREMELY VERY FRIENDLY. UNLIKE SINGAPORE!

Dear Mngo,

Thanx alot for your quick reply.

Not gonna stop by Mandurah then. I prefer Cape Leeuwin too not that I know its taller but the images I saw on the net just takes my breath away. Good for someone to affirm that I need not see 2 lighthouses...we'll be spending 3 nights in MR and shall include Augusta in these few days. Heng abt Rottnest...read somewhere on trip advisor that it's overrated. Shall do Kalamunda if time permits. SUPER FRIENDLY? Kekeke...okok shall lug my stroller along.

My itinerary is almost done. If u dun mind, pls help to vet thru it...anyone is welcome to comment
happy.gif

Thanx muchee!!

Here's my itinerary...TIA for all your comments & input.

<u>04th Sep 2011, Sun</u>
- Arrive in Perth Airport at 3.00p.m.
- Check in at Rydges hotel

<u>05th Sep 2011, Mon</u>
- Check out of Rydges hotel
- Collect car at Bayswater
- Visit Scitech
- Eating &amp; shopping in Perth City ~ Hay St, Murray St
- Drive to Joondalup for hotel check in

<u>06th Sep 2011, Tue</u>
- Spend a day at Swan Valley including Caversham
- Back to Joondalup

<u>07th Sep 2011, Wed</u>
- Spend a day at King’s Park
- Shopping in Perth City if time permits ~ Harbourtown
- Back to Joondalup

<u>08th Sep 2011, Thurs</u>
- Hillarys ~ AQWA
- Cottlesloe Beach
- Back to Joondalup

<u>09th Sep 2011, Fri</u>
- Fremantle
- Back to Joondalup

<u>10th Sep 2011, Sat</u>
- Wanneroo ~ Mindarie Marine &amp; Strawberry Fields
- Kalamunda if time permits
- Shopping in Joondalup

<u>11th Sep 2011, Sun</u>
- Check out of Joondalup
- Bunbury
- Margaret River ~ Check in at Vintages Accommodation

<u>12th Sep 2011, Mon</u>
- Cape Leeuwin
- Cowaramup
- Exploring &amp; shopping in MR
- Back to Vintages Accommodation

<u>13th Sep 2011, Tue</u>
- Checkout of Vintages Accommodation
- Check in at Sunflower Animal Farm for farmstay
- Mammoth Cave
- Dinner in MR
- Back to Sunflower Animal Farm

<u>14th Sep 2011, Wed</u>
- Check out of Sunflower Animal Farm
- Yallingup ~ Sheep shearing @ 11.00a.m.
- Busselton ~ Underwater observatory @ 3.00p.m.
- Check in at Rydges hotel

<u>15th Sep 2011, Thurs</u>
- Check out of Rydges hotel
- Return car
- Airport ~ Home sweet home

Tinsel
I think you have not been to Australia right?
Otherwise you will not be 'doubting' about the stroller friendliness . I've lived in Singapore. I am now in Perth so i can make comparisons.

Years ago when my boy was in stroller, taking bus was a breeze here! The bus has a ramp that allows me to push my son up and the bus will tilt to one side to ensure no gaps.

Up on the bus, there are areas where i can sit, and park my stroller next to me.

UNLIKE IN SINGAPORE WHERE I HAVE TO FREAKING FOLD THE STROLLER WITH ONE HAND, CARRY MY SON WITH ANOTHER HAND.

Dear Mngo,

Have nvr been to OZ so no reason to doubt...cos u cap the 'extremely friendly', so i oso cap lo...no offence ya &amp; thanx for the great help.

It seems that I have many makan places and things to see in MR that I may forego Wanneroo/Kalamunda and head for MR instead i.e. spend 4 nights in MR instead of 3. Do you think its better?

Thank you.

Actually , MR has a lot of good food and restaurants. But it's not cheap esp if you dine in the vineyard restaurants. One main cost like 50SGD.

If you want to cook , you can buy stuffs at Coles / IGA at MR town . There is no cooking facilities in Vintages accomodation.

4 days 3 nights is good because you have time to really go around.

Hi Mngo,
Saw yr weather temp in perth in sept...my aunty who is there says in the morn etc its rather warm but at night its cold...but yrs seems reali cold...i dun wish to unpack coz i got 2 toddlers age 4 n 5...might be my aunty is used to the weather there hence say daytime warm...based on the temp can i get yr advise if my kiddos shld be in long sleeves n pants in the days time all day n a thick jacket for at night will it be suficient...do i need long john instead?? thanks so much...also is there any thing to visit in albany? Coz 1 yrs ago we visited perth n hav alr explore the MR, swan valley, bussleton, perth area...went for a farmstay in MR area...this time we visiting perth coz bringin my mil to get her mind away coz my fil juz passed away n wan to go to a not too faraway flight place....is there any gd farmstay in albany? Or any gd places to visit for kids too.....thanks so much for yr help...

Hi augbaby
That temp is not from me lah! I copied from website and pasted it here. It's actually good for the kids to be in long sleeves and pants because the UV is strong here.

Even if the weather could be 'warm', it may be too cold for your kids if they are used to Singapore weather.

None of us needed long john because when it's late at night where it's chilly, we will be in our own home with insulation and heater.

Now that you mention you came last year , i think i could sort of vaguely remember cos your nick looks familiar.

I've never been to albany really. Kids can do horse riding, maze, cuddling animal farm. they are all at swan valley region.

Hi mngo,
yups thats me...
happy.gif
tink i also ask you for advise that time..heehee...icic ya true tink my kids r used to sg weather hence it still b cold for them...
happy.gif
ya brought them to cuddling animal farm b4...tink we visited quite a few places in perth alr so was wondering if there are any other places....for horse riding, where is it exactly available in swan valley region? Heard Yallingup ~ Sheep shearing is not bad after reading a few mummies review here...erm pardon me but where is yallingup n is it reali worth to visit? Thanks so much for yr help!

In fact i have no idea where horse riding is . I know my friends have been there. I can check.
Yallingup is in the region of margaret river - far down south.

Back