Perth Holiday - Any Suggestions/Advice/Tips?

Hi Red Ruby,

Thanks i will try now
happy.gif

Couldn't find quest margaret river anymore in quest website.. wonder why.. maybe they change name that's why?

hi kk

hv finally draft out my tentative itineary.

day 1
arrive perth, grocery shop & eat at nearby mall

day 2
mandurah - abingdon miniature village
brunch at miami bakery
busselton jetty
overnight at dunsborough

day 3
yallingup shearing shed (show @ 11am)
simmo ice creamery fun park
country life farm or wonky windmill farm
MR nuts & cereal
overnight at MR

day 4
animal feeding @ 9am
berry farm
cape leeuwin
MR town area for shopping & dinner

day 5
candy cow
cape lavender
may stop by bunbury for dolphin otherwise
stop over at busselton for lunch & mandurah for coffee break
back to perth

day 6
strawberry field @ wanneroo
golden grove orchard
mondo Nougat factory (to pick up our favourite nougats)
midland mall (late nite shopping)

day 7
kings park - federation walkway & lotterywest playground
freo & eshed market
dinner at kailis

day 8
home sweet home

Hi moonbaa,

i received a reply from swan riverside le. The living room and master bedroom are air conditioned but not the other two bedrooms lor. The other two bedrooms have fans though.

Hmmm ur itinerary looks great!!

Mine is something like this:

Day 1:
All the way to Bunbury Dolphin Discovery Centre and then overnight at MR

Day 2:
To Busselton Jetty and etc in the region. Overnight at MR

Day 3:
To Yallingup area.. Nilgi Cave and Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse. Overnight MR

Day 4:
Cape Leeuwin lighthouse and maybe Lake/Mammoth Cave.. Overnight at MR

Day 5:
Chocolate factory etc etc before heading back to Perth

Day 6:
Pinnacles

Day 7:
Swan Valley

Day 8:
Mandurah + Fremantle

Day 9:
Yanchep + visit relative

Day 10:
Home sweet home afternoon flight

Does it sound logical? haha... my itinerary changes almost every week :p

kk
oh dear, no aircon for the other 2 rooms!! thanks for telling me, i still assume its whole apartment since its stated in the website. looks like i may hv to look for other apartments liao
sad.gif
may even consider your verandah apartment, looks good in their webby but hubby dont really like the location.

haha.. my itineary also changes very often. wow, u going to pinnacles, its a long drive there leh. i didnt include any caves visiting coz i think quite siong to bring 2 young kids along.

hi moonbaa,

But i suspect hor, veranda also not every room air con leh.. cos i checked with so many houses and apartments until i sian already, cos all tell me only living room have air con but not rooms, and the best i get so far is only main bedroom also airconed.

hi mngo,

Not worth it? cos i think once in a lifetime haha.. one fine day once the structures are gone, they are gone for good sighh.. just like those rocks at great ocean road.

kk
the serviced apartments that i stayed before when in perth, its all central aircon. temperature can be adjusted & there are aircon vents in all the bedrooms. so i think veranda is works like that too.
as for those houses/apartments in stayz.com, these are mainly individual owners so maybe its common not to have aircon in every room. just wonder how they tahan the summer heat haha...

i have already cancelled my booking at swan river apartment & have tentatively booked veranda coz i also very sian liao after sourcing for so long.

moonbaa,

haha sian right?
for margaret river, i also have not committed to any accomodation. Recently got one australian in tripadvisor recommended Dolphin House in MR to me. The house so BIGGG lor.. and magnificent views. And just now while doing somemore research, chanced upon The Dolphin House at busselton, but only 2 nights available during the period i am in MR region.

So now very confused already haha...

But verandah does look very nice. That time i love it very much.

kk
ya very sian & the more we see the more confused! actually alot of nice apts/ houses but normally hv min stay requirements. your trip is in dec so u still hv plenty of time.

the owner for swan riverside is nice, allow refund no penalty. i just lugi the exchange rate & bank service charge.

i read good review fr trip adviser (although only 1) for verandah so i hope wont be that bad. hubby only concern is the location, worried too rowdy since there are lots of bar & restaurants. but i think should be ok, wont be back too late since we start the day early.

moonbaa,

Look at this for busselton stay:

http://www.stayz.com.au/32554

Marvellous right?

But only available 2 nights out of 4 nights of my stay there.. now the owner offer another night at a discounted rate and it brings down the overall price per night. Hmmm so ended up i may still stay at MR region for 5 nights haha! which i dun mind actually lah, cos i planned a detailed itnerary for myself yesterday and find that my journey in MR region seemed to be a bit rushed and got to forego a few places which i can't bear to.

moonbaa,

And best thing is, the dolphin house is FULLY airconed!!!!!!!

And this is the part of the owner's email reply to me:

We provide a selection of teas , coffees & hot chocolate to enjoy throughout your stay. And on your arrival there is a complimentary bottle of Margaret River wine awaiting you.

In answer to the house set up
1 - Yes the house has reverse cylce airconditioning throughout the whole house so all rooms are cool in summer.
2 - There are 3 bedrooms all with queen sized beds in them
3 - There is an ensuite bathroom which has its own toilet, shower and the luxury spa (spa gel is provided)
4 - The other 2 bedrooms share a separate bathroom which has a double shower.
5 - In addition to the above there is a separate toilet both upstairs and downstairs.

Should you have children we also have a selection of toys, games, and also playstation 3 - for young and old kids alike
happy.gif
, to keep them amused througout your stay.

And for the real little ones, there is a portacot, highchair, playpen, and stair barrier for their comfort and safety. Just advise us at the time of your booking and we will ensure they are out and ready for your use.

kk
wow it really makes me drool leh
biggrin.gif
all rooms got super nice view & most impt fully aircon!! best part is, its avail during my trip there!! haha... but unfortunately i hv plan for farm stay this time BUT will definitely keep this in mind for my trip next year!!

if lucky, can still catch the dolphin. dont hv to join the dolphin tour, waste $$ & may not see any after 2hrs wait.

Hi KK

Just saw your itinerary, you have alocated day 6 to Pinnacles. I went there last year October, my own experience is Pinnacles is petty but the journey is long...... i spend half day driving there and stay there for less than 2 hours and another half day driving back. If i were to replan my trip there i will stay one nite at Cervantes town to make the trip more relax and can enjoy Pinnalces scenery better.

Just my opinion

Hi aspring,

Initially wanted to plan a night stay at pinnacles too. But in the end did not :p

Anyway won't be driving there already cos i will spend 5 nights in MR and only 4 nights in perth. And i preferred to spend time in swan valley, fremantle, yanchep, mandurah and rockingham instead.

moonbaa,

wah u planning another perth trip next year?! haha..

I am still trying my luck for bunbury cruise and mandurah cruise haha.. that time on bunbury cruise really saw 1-2 dolphins but not that close distance and clear lor, so kind of disappointing. But great to see those mansions alongside the waters, wah, with own jetties somemore. Really rich pple haha...

Oh anyway i confirmed 3 nights with dolphin house le. The owner so helpful in the email! Need to do bank transfer to her this weekend
happy.gif

kk
my hubby also drool over the mansion!
biggrin.gif
wish we have found this place earlier haha...
perth is one of the place where we visit once a year, esp now my kids are still so young, there are alot of places to explore & fun for the kids. think for older kids, they may find perth boring liao. we are heading down to albany & esperance on our next trip.

u intend to go for bunbury & mandurah cruise? initially i'm also keen but heard from those mummies here who went, all waited in vain so decide to give it amiss.
i saw the pic fr dolphin house, the dolphin is so up close & personal, think so much better than those cruise
biggrin.gif

Aspring
Not too bad here.... crazy weather this year actually.

How do you know me or how come u remember me? mmmm

kk
just read from trip advisor that the opening of the busselton jetty has been push back to end of 2010 arrgh.... need to replan my itineary again!! but u may be in time for it since your trip is in dec.

hi,

i'm going to perth next month and i wrote to busselton jetty with regards to their opening and they responded that the opening had been postponed to end 2010 / early 2011.

moonbaa,

Ya would be extra bonus if really see dolphins from the house. Dunno we will be that lucky or not haha..

The most memorable was when my hubby and I went to adelaide kangaroo island 2 yrs back, and we actually saw 5-6 dolphins swimming together! Although its a distance away, but its great to really see them swimming freely in the sea heehee...

Sigh, i dun think jetty is opened when i am there. So can't even get to the observatory??! Oh goodness, we walked the jetty before but regret not going to the observatory as by the time our tour group reached there, it was already close to closing hour. This time a miss again.. wah cry manzzz! I also got to change my itinerary too. Aiyoh then dolphin house is in busselton leh.. make no sense hahaha! Think i switch to going to wonky windmill farm in busselton.

kk
aiyo so wasted u didnt go to the observatory last time
sad.gif

actually busselton nothing much besides the jetty & observatory. i may try my luck for dolphin in mandurah.

Hi Moonbaa,

Finally made a booking for the dolphin house for 3 nights. They dun have credit card facilities, got to settle at bank. Luckily knocked off early last friday so fast fast settled.

Then booked 2 nights at MR acacia chalets. Dun want to research anymore. Sian liao.

Still got 4 nights in perth leh.

Recently i found this. Looks great right? But a distance from perth city:

http://www.stayz.com.au/63074

Hi everyone,
it's me again. Now still in the midst of deciding on where to stay. My friend recommended me City Stay apartment in Perth but I read quite a number of bad reviews on that. Anyone knows about the apartment?

I'm actually very keen on Mont Clare as it seems to be highly recommended in this forum. Is Mont Clare near supermarkets? Cos I like to go supermarket and will most likely go there almost everyday haha... so if there's a supermarket nearby will be good. I will be staying in a 1-bedroom apartment. Not sure whether there is any difference in facilities for 1-bedroom and 2 or 3-bedroom at Mont Clare (cos for City Stay there is a difference. Needless to say, 1-bedroom has less facilities).

At Margaret River, I intend to stay at the studio apartment at MR hideaway. Again, there is a difference in facilities for this studio apartment compared to other apartment (like limited cooking facilities etc). Anyone stayed in the studio apartment before can give some feedback on whether it's ok? Cos I think most people who gave feedback stayed in bigger apartments....

I intend to book Mont Clare from e-hotelbooking.com. Is this a reliable website? Cos the rate quoted from this site is lower than other sites....

<font color="ff0000">kk</font>
i think most apt/ house owners in stayz.com are individuals so hv to deal via bank transfer. same for swan riverside.

aiyo i really drool over their houses leh! your recent find is awesome!! but abit far. i'm also still looking for my 3 nights in perth. i now open to other options, further from the city. i think if u dont hv much to do in the city, then dont hv to stay in/ near the city. i practically almost comb the entired stayz webby liao but still cant find anything suitable. most of the house/ apt that i like &amp; fits my budget all requires min. 7 nights or more. haiz ....

<font color="0000ff">shelyn</font>
i stayed in mont clare a few years back in their 1 bedroom apt. i'm not sure what u mean by less facilities, their apt comes with fully equip kitchen &amp; laundry facility. there are 2 supermarkets within walking distance. the nearest abt 3mins walk fr mont clare, the other one is a chinese supermarket further down abt 8 mins walk. its also near to eateries so i would say the location is pretty convenient &amp; good.
for MR i cant comment coz this is also my 1st time there staying in MR hideaway, but i'm taking the 3 bedroom.

<font color="119911">hopeac</font>
personally i also like subicao area but the ones are i like are over my budget
sad.gif

any other nice suburb u can recommend?

Hi moonbaa,
thanks for your feedback. So happy that it's so near supermarket hehe...

anyone knows of any website where I can see location of supermarkets on a map like how google maps mark their locations?

shelyn

the 2 supermarkets near mont clare are not very big &amp; things are abit more pricey compare to those larger scale like coles or woolworth.

Hi hopeac,

Ya its far from perth city but still possible if i stay 2 nights there as i am going over from busselton around afternoon time and then will spend the next time in mandurah and rockingham.

Hi Moonbaa,

I am so glad the jetties on bovard got credit card facilities. So still thinking lor..

huh?? even swan riverside need bank transfer? Alamak i did it once for the dolphin house. Have to do it for 2nd time once the 2nd payment is up. If got to do it 3rd time, i faint queuing up at bank and then go to post office to post out the bank draft haha..

Anyway dunno why swan riverside hor, never reply my email leh. Suddenly MIA after 2 email correspondence. So i think can forget about it le.

kk
i didnt queue to do the bank transfer. i'm using UOB bank, went to their customer service &amp; just fill up the application for telegraphic transfer. y u still need to send bank draft? can also do the transfer thru internet banking.
swan riverside last email to me was last week, i'm still waiting for them to transfer the refund to me, will probably wait till next week before checking with them again. thot u dont want since the other 2 rooms no aircon?

verandah is my back up if i really cant find anything. my hubby doesnt like the location, so if given a choice, he prefer elsewhere.

Hi Moonbaa,

telegraphic transfer need service charge right? OCBC told me its one-eighth of the total amount wor.. that means if i book the dolphin house, i may have to pay around $200 worth of service charge. Siong! So OCBC recommended bank draft with $15 service charge only.

No internet banking :p

Swan riverside got great views leh. If the person (Dennis, right?) replies me, i may reconsider lor. I love the views
happy.gif

Oh and there is one perth resident who shared with me thru email that since the apartment not that big in the cities, one big air con in living room may be able to cool down the whole apartment if bedroom doors are left open. And 2 feedback i received is that the swan riverside is at a very strategic location where food etc can be found easily :p

Oh verandah location no good?

kk
yes telegraphic transfer got service charge, its the same as OCBC, $20 flat fee &amp; one eighth of the total amt. my deposit is only AUGD 200 so maybe UOB didnt recommend bank draft but the dophin house rental is much more so it makes more sense to do bank draft.

i also read good reviews for swan riverside &amp; i like the place too. so far really cant find anywhere got good views with reasonable rate. i deal with Deirdre (the other owner) &amp; she assured me that the 2 big aircon are big enough to cool the apt, moreover the period we there, weather is mild so may not need aircon. the location is good &amp; there's a nearby suburban mall which i can do my grocery, some shopping &amp; hv meals there. these are what i plan for my itineary last time. its the aircon issue that is bothering me lor.

verandah is in northbridge. it will be rowdy as there are many pubs &amp; bars in that area so will be dangerous when nite falls. moreover i read the review fr one local (in trip advisor) who stays nearby the apt that its actually illegal for them to rent out the apts to us tourist leh! so in doubt &amp; confused now ..

moonbaa,

Ohhh then i dun take verandah lor haha.. scary leh from what u read. Safety comes first.

Hmmm Deirdre.. this name sounds familiar.. hmmm i dunno why they never reply me leh.. like tat maybe i settle for swan riverside le.

Actually i also wanted swan valley the vines.. but seems like tripadvisor comments quite bad.. so i think not wise to book it.

kk
actually there's a s'porean family commented good leh so very confused lor, dont know if should take or not.
http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k3693381-Feedback_on_Verandah_Perth_Apartment-Perth_Western_Australia.html

i think Deirdre is the wife. if u can sleep without aircon then take it. i personally feel the location is much better than northbridge. my concern is not sure if my elder gal can sleep without aircon, otherwise the 2 kids will hv to squeeze with me on a queen bed.

for swan valley, i think the river retreat got good reviews.

Hi mngo

I know you from here
happy.gif

I get a lot of advise from you, to prepare for my perth trip last year.
I stay in Myaree during my trip in perth, you have recommend a very nice chinese restaurant that is nearby. Oh..... i miss that restaurant food.... their hor fun is so much better than most Singapore coffee chop zhi chai stall....

Can remember :D

Hi Moonbaa,

Ya river retreat very good comments, but hor i search high and low, website not working, and no pictures anywhere haha.. maybe i hunt for email and email them.

Back