PCOS patient and trying to conceive, pls share experience here.

Hi cat tail, I went off Diane35 for over a year... heard that the wash out period for pills is around 6 months and not instantaneous like they claim.. so since you've only been off for 2 months, maybe that might be a problem. As for charting my ovulation, it was impossible 'cos my periods ranged from btw 3 wks to 6 months.. I used ovulation predictor kit with my Clomid and heng heng it worked. It was even more of a miracle 'cos my husband's sperm analysis showed that 96% of his sperm were abnormal. So chin up.. it *will* happen. In the meantime, do take your folic acid religiously.

Hi SSL, I think your prev gynae may not be so well informed as there is not much research done on PCOS. I think it's a good idea for you to go to the fertility centre. Don't forget that sperm analysis can be highly subjective and they do recommend that if you get an abnormal reading, they should do a follow-up test.

Meimei,hope the drugs work for you.. your gynae seems very encouraging..
happy.gif

Hi all,

I am so happy to hear more & more PCOS able to conceive. This is so encouraging!

Many thanks for ariella & poohy, now I know what is IUI. Maybe my 2 mths off pills is still too soon to determine. Ok, I will continue taking my folic acid just in case.

A little history of myself. I am only 42kg, no acne on my face except occassional outbreak at my back. My menses had been irregular all my life but I am just too ignorant to bother it. I only went to see a Dr after I have a very low bone density scan. It was so low that I almost fall into ostheophoresis. Not very gd for a 20s gal like me thus they refer me to a Gynae. They made me do a blood test & ultrasound scan & eventually was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001. I have a few 2mm cysts & imbalance hormone that causes my low bone density. Finally they put me on Diane35, Meliane, etc.. to regulate my menses & balance my hormone since I am not preparing bb. But I remember my Dr ever mentioned if I ever tot of conceiving, she will give me another pills. Well, I am not too sure which she's refering to, but I guess it should be clomid or metaformin.

Hope I am not too cheong hei & the information you gals give are great! At least I know what to ask or expect for my next visit.

Hi cat_tail

My gynae sure didnt tell me i have PCOS. I got to know her from this forum too and have been seeing her for few years for my pap smear etc. find her very gentle and friendly so stick with her.

I guess she may not be very good with infertility problems, but as a normal Gynae who takes care of pregnant woman, i think she should be fine. i recommended my friend to her before i was diagnosed of those infertility problems. My friend continued with her and so far no problem.

I think i may go and try another gynae to see if i like her. if not, i will still go back to this gynae that i frequent when i'm pregnant.
happy.gif

Hi! Cat_tail/mei mei/SSL,

As clomid and metformin need monitoring on the dosage to given, you cld get it only with gyne's prescription and not off the shelf at pharmacy.
I didn't take precaution for the 1st 6mths while trying.. after that look for gyne to do a thorough check and discovered i got PCOS.

I went to a pte gyne from Gleanegles, instead she gave me birth control pills.. then i went to another gyne from Thomson medical just within walking distance from my house.. I took high dosage of clomid but didnt ovulate.. Thereafter heard abt Chinese medicine so i approached Ma Kuang.. it does make my menses come but then result too slow and Ex lor.. so eventually decide to go KKH for detail check up on myself and hubby. From the day i 'officially' see gyne to the day i conceive it took me abt 1yr.

I was like you b4 feel devastated and hopeless esp. my menses comes once in a blue moon since age 18 (can lapse 6-9mths).. I heed doctor advise to 'do it' every alternate day.. but sometimes lazy didn't do lah.. heehee.. Who knows i actually strike on the day i came back from a biz trip and that was also the FIRST time where gyne diagnose me as +ve for ovulation. Could you imagine for the past 1yr plus i've not ovulate b4 even though my menses came!

Another thing .. it depends on whether you believe it..hubby and me went to the temple "Xuang-Ling-Shi" at Toa Payoh for the 1st time. We pray to "Zhu-Sheng-Niang-Niang"(A lady god who helps couple to conceive). Weeks after the prayer, i discovered i'm pregnant. I mean it cld be coincidence also lah.. but we strongly believe she does answer our prayers. Of course you must guai-guai take your hormones pills too. For metformin it doesn't work right away for some people.. for me, it took me nearly 6mths(nearly give up) to balance up my hormones b4 i got a +ve result in ovulation.

Some gynes wld like to see result asap and suggested IVF/IUI straightaway.. i feel that its important to give yourself more time who knows you may strike naturally.. Unless age is catching up or some other personal reasons then mayb you shld consider artificial methods like IUI/IVF.

Be patient, i'm sure all PCOS patients will get pregnant someday
happy.gif

Hi Catz

My hubby's SA results showed that he only has 6% of normal sperm and the rest 94% are with defective.

The sperm count and volume and mortility results are ok. Just got problem with the morphology (quality of sperm).

issit still necessary to go for another SA??

Hi Elle

happy.gif
Thanks for the encouragement to all the ladies here.

I feel that its becos of these words, the sharing of experiences from PCOS patients makes us feel that we are not alone to deal with all these.

I do believe that miracles will happen but sometimes, we still tend to feel upset when we see pregnant ladies.

hi elle.. ur info so helpful to us
happy.gif
i didnt give up any hope coz PCOS ladies oso can get preggy one
happy.gif

hi ladies
happy.gif

sad.gif
received a call from my gynae that my pap smear result got something wrong.. got a slight infection and ask me to collect some antibiotics from her.. went collect liao today.. heng ah she says that its not serious
happy.gif
my next appointment on the 6th next month.. think goona pap smear again to check still got infection onot.. btw i've been takin the med for almost week since last wed.. any idea hw long do i have to wait for my menses to come?? :p

Hi SSL, yah my husband's morphology was only 4% normal too... he did the SA in Jan and we got pregnant in March. A few doctors that we've spoken with after we got pregnant say that it might be that the SA was inaccurate... should test again after 3 wks. Yah, I know the feeling of thinking that the whole world is pregnant... always felt so inadequate. I never thought that baby-making could get so stressful. What I learned is that the impt thing is to IGNORE people when they ask you when are you trying for a kid etc... wah lau... it's such a personal thing lor.

Meimei, antibiotics will not affect your menses.. it should come as per normal. Did she tell you to continue trying in the meantime??

Actually, before I conceived, we'd kind of given up and were all for adoption already. Didn't see any point gg for IVF treatment as the $ could go toward adoption instead. Esp for my husband, he was really really SIAN when he found out about his sperm being koyak... so also no mood to think of making babies.

HI Catz

U are so lucky
happy.gif

now, whenever people ask me when having kids, i will tell them "after u"

Hi SSL, yah we believe this is truly a miracle.. the most we would have tried is IUI. Trust me, things were looking very bleak. I had so many days where I would feel so depressed 'cos I heard that another friend got pregnant (wedding night lah, honeymoon lah...) It's like people can get pregnant so easily. I still remember visiting a friend with a really cute daughter and she told me that she die die didn't want another kid and the worst thing is that she told me that she can get pregnant anytime so why worry?! Wah lau... it was hard to control my feelings, esp 'cos at that time, I had a very early miscarriage (blighted ovum).

Hi elle,

It's so nice to hear a success story.

Hi SSL & catz,

True lor, it's so stress to keep hearing ppl asking when to have bb... and I can't tell them my problem.. so I just give an uneasy smile
sad.gif

Hi Mei Mei,

Did the Dr mentioned what kind of infection? I have candida infection when I do a pap smear last year. It's quite common & after chaning my diet, my infection is clear! Well, I never like the idea of taking antibiotics.

hi cat_tail, catz

doc didt says anything leh.. juz say its not serious
happy.gif
will be goin back to see her next mth..
me nw waitin for my menses to come b4 i can take the clomiphene :p

cat_tail, I don't know why people are so darn nosy.. I also just shrug it off.. say that we are still in our honeymoon phase.. anything to get them off my back!!! However, now that I am pregnant, I make sure that I let people know that it wasn't easy to conceive lor.. I don't see any point hiding the fact that we had problems. Must encourage other couples 'cos I only had one other friend encouraging me when we were TTC and everyone else was like 'oh, so easy to get pregnant what..' :p

Mei mei, I guess your period should come soon lah... Do you have the ovulation predictor kit? Best to use it in conjunction with the Clomid. I tried charting but it was really difficult. OPK was easier.

Meimei, OPK = ovulation predictor kit.. best to get your hands on a box (usually comes with 5 test kits) so that you know when you ovulate on the Clomid so that you can time your 'activities' accordingly.
happy.gif

not sure if u all are keen...
I have a friend who wanted very much to conceive after several yrs of marriage. After she n husband took a certian pdt, she got pregnanat after 2 mths.....she's always spreading the word.i'm not sure what pdt some kind of wine but its NOT EXpensive,can try!you're keen we can contact.she very enthusiastic abt it. And she keeps telling me to spread the word!ha!Ha!

No problem Mei Mei... in fact, there are a lot of forums out there for PCOS and people who are TTC with A LOT of helpful hints. I bought quite a few books on infertility.. it helps to read up about your condition so that you don't get pushed around by an unconcerned doctor.

catz
which books u have bought mayb i can look around for it :p btw me bought "the everything abt getting pregnant" book.. lolz :p

Alamak, Mei Mei, I have packed all my books up for shipping already.. do a search on Amazon.com and read the reviews. My brain these days very rusty.. cannot remember the exact titles :p Sorry leh.. I just remember I bought those that got 4/5 stars on Amazon for PCOS/Infertility.

Hi Meimei, yah lor.. I'm packing up to leave the US. Have been here for just under 1 1/2 years. I think the fresh air probably helped us to conceive too!
happy.gif
Will be back in S'pore this weekend *sniff* Will really miss my life over here... Packing is really crazy if not I would go and dig up the titles for you... paiseh..

Hi,

Have been TTC for abt 1.5 yrs but hasn't been successful (due to irregular menses). So beg of this year, had started on Clomid but so far no result. Until recently, I missed my period for abt 12 days. Understand that those on Clomid will have pretty regular menses. So, when you miss by so many days, it would most likely mean that you are pregnant, right?

But that wasn't the case. Tested twice....once with a home pregnancy test kit (last Sat) & another time at a GP. Both turned out to be negative, which was very disappointing.

However, I do have strange symptoms like always feeling hungry & will only feel better after eating something. Only felt nausea once though. Sometimes breast will feel tender but only lasted for 1-2 days.

Could anyone advise if it's possible that my HCG level was low for the past 2 test & it could turn positive later? I really hope to be able to conceive asap.

Hope to see some replies soon. Thanks.

P/s: By the way, what does PCOS mean? I'm not very familiar with these terms.

Vonvon

What's is your dosage like? Is it 50mg (1 tablet) or 100mg (2 tablets). And is this the first time you take clomid. Some people, like me, do not react to clomid and cause you not to ovulate at all. Perhaps your syptom is telling that your AF is about to come or maybe it is good news that you are pregnant. When I took clomid the first time, my AF didn't come until more that CD40 and I have to take drug to induce it.

Good luck to you
happy.gif

Hi hopeformiracle,

I have been given a dosage of 100mg (2 tablets). Have been taking it for a few months already. So far, from the day I started taking Clomid, my period ranges from 30 - 33 days & it has never been delayed like this time. Now it's already day 47 & still no sign of my period. That's why I thought I might have a chance. Never thought the test will turn out to be negative.

vonvon,

is it possible that you din ovulate with clomid this month ? I had been ovulating (on cd21) with 150mg clomid for a few months... then one of the month, I notice I din ovulate leh with the same dosage.

ladies.. i called my gyn this afternoon to ak y my AF is still not here
sad.gif
she ask me to wait 1 more week.. if still not here then i got to go back to see her liao..
sad.gif
sad.gif
coz i sill cant take the clomiphene yet..

me haven't buy the pregnacy test kit coz afraid to see the -ve sign again.. think shall wait for it to come lor.. or mayb i'm really pregnant nw.. :p "cross finger" lol

yippie.. my AF report liao.. :p will start takin clomiphene tomolo then BD after my AF.. keke :p

enjoy ur weekend ladies
happy.gif

Hey Meimei, yup, I'm back in Singapore now.. yikes, the weather is so hot and muggy! Glad that your AF is here.. good luck with this cycle of Clomid!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Welcome back Catz!
happy.gif

SO GLAD to have my menses back today but it's aching like hell. I have been waiting to come for almost 2 mths liao after stopping my pills. Just want to find out from you gals, is there any gd reference website to recommend so I can do my ovalution chart? And when is the best time to take my "basal temperature", correct me if I am wrong?

Hihi cat_tail
happy.gif
Hmmm.. while you're TTC'ing and you get funny PMS symptoms, do be careful. I had extremely bad cramps after I took the Clomid so I assumed it was period pain and I took Panadol menstrual.. turns out it was pregnancy symptoms. So do be careful yah? In the first trimester, you must be careful with medications.

As for fertility charting, I gave up charting 'cos with PCOS, I kept getting fake LH surges. But I found this website:-
http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/fertility-chart.htm
Hope this helps. For basal temp or BBT, the best time is as soon as you wake up.. in fact, it would be best if you didn't move a muscle - get your husband to switch on the thermometer and stick it into your mouth for you.

hey catz.. lol back to spore liao huh
happy.gif
the weather siao siao one.. keke thanks huh.. i will work double hard lolz
happy.gif

Thanks Catz,

That's a good website! Geee.. I will be extra careful & now wanna see whether I can ovulate or not.

Dun move at all? Haha, hubby sleep like a log, so have to depend on myself. I will just put the thermometer near my bed.
happy.gif

Hey cat_tail, glad to be of help... just remember that you might not get the typical chart of non-PCOS people 'cos of our false LH surges. Anyway, it's good to monitor your BBT and your cervical mucus too
happy.gif
Aiyah, tell your husband he must also do work mah... cannot be the wife doing everything what... And dont' forget, try to take your BBT at the same time everyday yah?

Hey Meimei, yah lor, weather siao siao leh... so uncomfortable :p HOw's everything with you???

hi catz
AF goin off soon.. think can start BD these few days liao.. keke :p but hor do i really need to get the OPK?

Meimei, it's really up to you whether or not to get the OPK. FOr me, I'd rather just spend a little extra on the OPK so that you can be sure you have an egg waiting there when you BD.. if not, dunno how many cycles of Clomid you have to take lor.. kiasu a bit also never mind right?
happy.gif

Hi Gals,
I was diagonsed with PCOS several months back as well... Suspected I was preggie when my menses was 5 days late ... so went to the gynae today and am 5 weeks + preggie... But he cldn't see the sac today tho... so I'm still very apprehensive.. Sighz.. But just wanted to share my joy nonetheless (hopefully.. it won't be short-lived)... coz when I got my blood test results and gynae confirmed I had PCOS.. my world just fell apart..
Don't give up... there's hope... =)

hi bluez
good to hear that u're pregnant despite being diagnose PCOS
happy.gif
u really give hope to us that wanted to have a baby so much.. cheers to u
May u have a smooth 9 month :p
do come in often to & share hw u feelin abt feelin pregnant and wats the sympthoms are.. keke

take care & regards
Mei Mei

Hi bleuz, hope everything goes well for you... I had a lot of scares during this pregnancy too. In fact, I was really afraid of miscarriage 'cos PCOS does cause higher risk of m/c therefore it was always weighing on my mind.. anyway, you take care yah? Take it easy.. first trimester symptoms usually hit in the 7th week
happy.gif

Meimei, how's it going?

hi catz :p waiting for news nw lor..
biggrin.gif
coz dunno me got ovulate onot.. think will know next mth when go follow up lor..
wink.gif

Meimei, good luck.. yah, the waiting is hard but so so so worthwhile!
happy.gif
You should prob be able to test 2 weeks after your bleed finishes.

No probs... just try out the OPK if you find that you cannot strike lor.. don't take too many cycles of Clomid 'cos it might cause more ovarian cysts.

Hi Catz,
Do you have any recommendations for gynaes? I'm more cautious abt selection of gynae coz of my PCOS condition.
You are delivering at TMC rite? What are the charges like? I'm like quite backwards in my research so time to buck up now.. hehehe =p

Back