Our son has Autism. Should we still enroll him to the normal kindergarten?

Sinar Mentari

My son, Adam was diagnosed with Autism last year and currently is attending intervention classes in the Epic centre near our home. My husband insist that he still needs to go to the "Normal Kindergarten" to help him with his speech delay. He's 4 years old and still can't say a single proper word. We went for numerous check-ups and doctors confirmed that he's not mute or deaf. I really wish that he can say at least one word "mummy" or "daddy". As a parent, I can't help but to feel so so sad, plus worrying about his future. What else should I do?

Is he improving after attending the intervention classes? Are there other kids learning with him in the current classes? Sometimes, you have to follow up with the same 'training' at home as well.

my concern is, the teachers at normal kindergartens are not trained to handle autistic kids and might do more harm than good as attention might not be given to them.

All the best mummy, be strong for your son. With family love and encouragement, i am sure Adam will improve along the way.

There are a few autistic students in my poly and they are doing well academically except they have some problems articulating their thoughts and engaging in active discussions in the class. Some move on to be programmers and event administrators. Not that there is no future, but they should choose jobs that suit their quiet nature.

keep us updated on his progress! :)

Yes, There's improvements in Adam after going tro 6mths of Interventions.
We will be enrolling him to the PCF Kindergarten next month and at the same time still continues with his Intervention Classes.
Will keep you posted :)

Thank you, yuki_girl

Yes, There's improvements in Adam after going tro 6mths of Interventions.
We will be enrolling him to the PCF Kindergarten next month and at the same time still continues with his Intervention Classes.
Will keep you posted :)

Thank you, yuki_girl
Hi, how is your son? I totally understand your concern. My 3 year old son has been diagnosed with Autism recently.

I did ask the psychologist whether it is good to enter him to a full day childcare or a kindergarten. Currently he is in full-day Childcare, but he is not learning anything as he cannot follow instructions and the teachers at the childcare are not trained to handle ASD kids. The doctor said that it is better to enter him into Kindergarten instead. So next year we will enroll him to a kindergarten.

He is currently attending Eipic programme in Rainbow Centre. And he is receiving language and speech therapy once a week. He improved so much! He can say more words, and he can express his wantings! Just after a few months of therapy. Amazing! and it makes me sooo happy :D

Do you join casper at facebook? It is a facebook group for moms with special need kids :D

Back