My disappointment at GUG

Wow, there is a lot of things to read here
happy.gif
I have tried GUG and JG and really, nothing to scream about. I really dont care abt the admin staff but pay great attention to the teacher and the environment.

I send my two girls to Colourful Hearts. Its founded by a former teacher there for 13 years and its quality education but affordable. I also watch my daughters reaction to any centre for for this place, they will run and scream the teachers name in great fun! So its all good and I am happy.

www.colourfulhearts.com

Hi all,

Is this thread still alive? I was just googling GUG and came across this? Come think of it, your babies shld be 7yo in P1 this yr?! I find this amazing how your conver 7 yr ago can be found by me, a 2012 mummy.

If anyone of u still checks this thread, has branded CC really done your kid good?

TIA

*wonders of internet*

Hi fellow parents, after months of procrastination, I would like to share my negative experiences with GUG Thomson. Pardon the lengthy post.

Firstly, I would like to highlight that out of the Google reviews you see on the school, parents Faez** Asma** and Hann** Gros** are currently teaching and used to teach in GUG Thomson respectively, so you decide if their reviews are transparent and credible as they are staff and ex-staff of GUG. Secondly, GUG Thomson was due to be closed by end 2020 as the school could not be sustained from its poor enrolments, hence these overwhelmingly positive reviews written 11 mths ago (Oct 2020) were probably last ditched attempts to increase enrolments and save the school from closure. Update: School was bought over as a franchise.

Disclaimer: I am sharing my very unfortunate experiences with GUG Thomson as a parent and what my child had experienced and I can't say the same for others who perhaps had wonderful times with the school at different years and whose children were in different levels as mine. You may PM me for more info.

Main and biggest problem is that current mgt run the school like military. Teachers expect absolute obedience from young children and some of the teachers are fierce and uncaring, making the children fearful of them. My child used to throw tantrums daily after school and I used to wonder why. After I got him out of GUG into new schools, the tantrums stopped and he was so much happier. The school has a single minded focus on only academic aspect without regards to the general well being and other developmental needs of these pre-schoolers. I spoke to the ex Principal of GUG before (under the old mgt), she was rather rude to parents and she told me directly that GUG is not a childcare as their focus was on academics, thus justifying the shoddy childcare quality from GUG.

1. High attrition rate for Principals and Teachers
- Since 2020, the school has gone through 3 Principals. Start of 2021, GUG had a caring Principal but left after 3 months. She had differing views with the school. The Principal who succeeded her is also leaving.

2. Mosquito infestation
- Due to construction works, the area is mosquito-laden. I got bitten just waiting 5 min to pick my child up. The school has mosquito coils but they are useless. My child and his friends came home with many bites daily. In early 2021, one GUG staff Pa**la San**** insisted without budging, also very rudely, that the boys had to comply to a full set of school uniform which meant that they had to wear GUG's shorts. We explained that we were dressing our boys up in long pants as mosquitoes were prevalent. Instead of showing sympathy, the staff insisted that the boys wear the school shorts (which were also poorly designed, the elastic band buckles up tightly around the child's waist) over their long pants. Not only is that hot in Sg's weather, but the thick elastic of the school shorts would make anyone uncomfortable. Worse, the staff also suggested that we parents buy the girls' grey leggings and dress our sons up in that. I did not think it was appropriate as I did not want to plant the notion of cross dressing to my son as the leggings were made for girls. The issue was later heard by the owner after hoards of parents complained.

3. Milk powder
- We would pack formula milk powder for my child to drink in school. We later learned that the teachers in GUG were so lazy to even properly stir his milk powder. This was concurred with his friends in his class who also brought milk powder. For months, my child was drinking diluted milk powder and the teachers had wasted my formula milk.

4. Rigid and uncaring rules
- We had a daily routine to ease my child into school every morning and that was also interfered by abovementioned staff. She insisted that my child could only say his first and final goodbye at the main gate as this was part of school rules (ridiculous much?). My child loved to run back and give us a final hug and kiss after his health checks were done and we were barred from doing so. This contravenes my values of imparting love and tenderness to my child.

5. Corporal punishments
- Punishments like no playground time were met out to these pre-schoolers if they did not complete their work properly, an example would be a badly drawn apple. Parents were told that their children were made to stand outside the classrooms as punishments (too much for pres-schoolers?)

Pudgy prerestrict
Undilatory bilocular
Disobliging microchemical

Back