My 5-year-old needs to go for multiple tooth extraction under GA

Hi, I brought my son to see a dentist in The Oral-care Centre. She said my son needs 10 tooth extraction and better to be done under GA. I feel so sorry for him as he is only 5 years old. I am not sure if I should go for it. My concern is on his diet and speech. Does any mummy has any experience to share?

Hi Lovetoscape,

My son went through GA last year at 5yrs old to extract 3 teeth. 2 front and 1 back teeth. Other than the extraction, he had crowning done to other back teeth also. It pains me to let him go through the whole process but it was causing him pain during eating so got no choice but to proceed. I'm very glad he had the extraction as now he can eat happily without fear of the pain when food got stuck in the cavity. The whole process went very smoothly and he can actually take soft porridge few hours after the surgery. He's speech is not affected even though his 2 front teeth are missing.

Hi jenl,
Thanks for sharing. That's what the dentist has shared with me too. I was told speech and diet will not be very much affected since he is already 5. I have been delaying especially when I see that he eats well. But seems like the condition worsens the longer I delay. Now I am really shock to hear that he needs to have 10 teeth extracted. May I ask which dentist you bring him to? How to prepare myself for the GA? I'm worried I don't know how to take care of him after that.

Hi Lovetoscrape,

I went to SDC at Outram... For aftercare, it's not that scary. Just start with soft diet and slowly intro semi-solid then to solid slowly. Recovery is very fast for them. That time I'm also worried that he will get laughed at by his friends so I told the teacher in advance to discuss about the losing of tooth in her lesson. Was lucky that everything went very smoothly... He only cried a while after he woke up from GA and otw back he was very drowsy and sleep quite a bit. Only us mummies will feels the heartache.... The moment I saw him after the op I was all teary and the nurse on duty asked me am I ok... So paisey...

SDC is very affordable too... The whole op costed less than $3k which they said if done outside it will cost $5k. That side should b more well equip too.

I think it is ridiculous to extract 10 teeth from a 5 year old. If the child's diet do not change, cavities will still appear. Hv you thought of changing his diet, no sweets for him? There is always risk in GA for kids, even for adults. If the child eats a lot of acidic foods like sweets, ice creams etc, cavities cannot be totally avoided. I really wonder if this is the only solution or the Singapore dentists are really doing the child a service by extracting so many teeth from a young child.

Is the dentist doing root canal or tooth implants on yr child after extraction? Pls seek a second opinion, there shld be other solutions.

Last edited:
Hi jenl,
Thanks for sharing again. I bet I will also be crying at the operation theatre. He is small-sized. It is really heart-pain.

Hi stinzy,
The main cause is due to his frequent milk feeding especially night bottle feeding. And he is taking pediasure which, according to the dentist, is very sweet. In addition, the medicine he took and his diet also plays a part.

Hi moorspa7,
I have consulted another dentist earlier this year. She suggested min 5 tooth extraction with root canal treatment, all under GA. She charges $8k for all treatment. But I hesitated and has been delaying it especially when I see that my boy is eating well and happy. Then recently I noticed he has bleeding gum. So I know I can't delay any more. But I was really shock when this dentist suggested 10 tooth extraction, pulpotomy and crown.

Hi lovetoscrap,
I also advise 2nd opinion. My girl started filling at 18 mths old, night nurse to sleep... her filling keep falling off after few mths because she keep struggling n crying. When she is 3+ yrs old, I took her to National Dental Center thinking that they can put her under GA n do a good filing job. Dentist just advise to pull out both front tooth even tho only 1 is quite damage. I cried for my girl because I really want to keep her teeth for her. We went to a private dentist as a last resort n opinion who managed to fill up the cavity with my girl being strangely cooperative! Now at 5 yrs old her front teeth are still good.
My niece also have same problem but hers is quite bad. She had 7 tooth extraction, a few crowning, filing n some spacer. Private cost 7k but hers is so bad that the govt sector slot her into emergency case n only paid 3k.
Wait no further. Find a good dentist who can advise you whether to keep, fill up or extract given that nowadays adult teeth sprout around 6-8yrs old. I will try to save every milk teeth i can!
More importantly is to brush teeth every night after dinner. My girl still drink milks before bed n I make sure she drinks water to wash down any milk residue in her mouth.

May I know why a 5 year old still needs a milk feed at night? I think a 5 year old child do not need a milk feed at night, as they are already on solid food for 3 meals, why not slot the milk feed during the day? Won't it solve the problem of decayed teeth and unnecessary extraction of teeth? If that is the root cause, the time of milk feed can be rearranged. Frankly speaking, a 5 year old should be getting his/her nutrient from rice, vegetables, meat, beans etc. Pls do not fall into those milk companies gimmick that yr kids still need milk at such an age, if parents stops milk feed when they are babies, these companies will hv no further revenue.

I was really shocked to read in he forum that 4-5 year getting root canal or tooth extraction at such a young age, it is not a healthy sign. If it is caused by milk feed at night, I hope parents would re look at the routine, and help your kids save their teeth. They do not hv to go through such invasive procedures at such a young age. Do you know that teeth can remineralised through proper diet and oral habits? I hv read in the Internet that European dentist do not pull out teeth from young kids unnecessarily, if parents do a search on the Internet, you will be surprised in other countries they use non invasive ways to help kids.

All I can say singapore dentists' way of treating our teeth are not the most advanced or natural, and cost you lots of money. I am sharing through my own experience and hope parents would find the root cause of yr kid tooth decay problems.

For those who are keen in tooth remineralization, you can read up more on the Internet. The key vitamins vitamin A and D which can be found in butter or cod liver oil.

For those who are keen, you can read up http://arealfoodlover.wordpress.com...ineralized-my-tooth-cavity-without-dentistry/
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/02/03/minimally-invasive-dentistry.aspx

You may search for more information on the Internet.

Hope parents can help their kids avoid tooth decay as much as possible. I hv been through a lot of tooth decay during childhood, it is definitely not a pleasant experience, therefore I hv managed to keep tooth decay away from my kids for abt 7-8 years. Keeping teeth clean before bed is very important.

My 5yrs old boy complained toothache for passed 3days and i tried to call school dental centre said is fully booked till next year. Why I choose there because pricing and he used to there since 3yrs decay tooth and do filling there. Since can't manage to get appointment and no entertained walk-in so I went to Hougang Polyclinics yesterday. When reached dentist checked and said his previous decay tooth need to do pulp therapy/root canal. I was so surprise that he just 5yrs old need to do that? And dentist said yes and they can't do it at Hougang Polyclinics and write a refer letter to me to school dental centre and I immediately call and walk-in as an emergency case. I keep ask the dentist at Polyclinics why can't just extract it out since toddler will drop his baby tooth and regrow new. They told me their wisdom tooth not so fast change and if remove then later no space to grow new wisdom tooth..teeth not nice. So I just follow instruction go walk-in to dental centre and dentist still said same thing to me. And I finally make the decision just let him do. The whole process took 1hrs and my boy really good boy and brave no struggle just abit cry when do injection. So now his tooth is remain here with no pain. Just to share the dentist at schools dental centre told me that even do the root canal is not 100% it might be fail. 80% pass and 20% fail. If pass, God bless will last till they change tooth itself. If fail then very fast see the effect of fail which they will pain again and they will extract the tooth. All done in one day rush and rush. Finally at least a night with peace he can sleep tight. Pray hard that can long last till change tooth.. School dental centre root canal $21 and filling back the tooth $9 total $30 for the whole process. Hougang poly dental much more expensive. Consultation $10.9 and filling one front teeth $23. If u have tight budget and can wait can try school dental centre. My son 3yrs old start do check up every 1/2yrs till now.

Hi Gemson, did your boy went thru GA? How many teeth did he do? My 4 yr old advised to go under GA to extract 1 tooth, do crowning for 3 tooth and filling for 4 other tooth. Sounds horrible and too much for a 4 yr old boy to go thru. Dentist said adult tooth will only come around 11 yrs old, and with the missing tooth, his adult tooth might be crooked cos no space to grow.

The cost for all these treatment is $2k, very expensive. Can we seek financial assistance for this? Called KKH medical service worker hotline and could not get thru. Did you get financial aid for these treatment?

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

My boy started decay teeth when he is 3yrs and total 2 big tooth decay and do filling. There is no need GA as long he ok no struggling. In fact we try to let him try out inject it make the gum numb if he struggle then have to be GA but lucky my boy very cooperated with dentist. He did struggled but I'm beside him hold him and talk to him then he ok. I'm going to school dental centre do all this. Recently found that his big tooth that filling before decay again and he in pain so I bring him to polyclinic and mention need to do root canal. Then I was surprise so young need to do this. I ask dentist can just extra out coz heard no kids will do this at young age. But dentist told me better to do canal coz if extract will affect his adult tooth not nice bla bla.. So I have no choice and they refer me back to school dental centre to do. I read up website like cost a boom and need gA when do root canal. Hubby ask me just go and check see how much of cost a boom then just extract out Don waste $$$. When reached school dental centre,dentist there so nice and explained to me and is only cost $30 for kids root canal and no GA just injection to get the gum numb. Sorry for the long post and my grammar. Hope u understand. U may seek to other dentist. http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/health-article/650

So far me did not get any financial aid coz everytime I went to school dental centre only cost me $9 for filling,$9 for polish,and the most expensive is $30 for root canal. All this w/o GA just normal injection to numb gum. Now my son every 6mths back school dental centre for check up his teeth.

Hi mummies,

For those whose kid went thru GA for tooth extraction and crowning, how do you ensure they fast 6 hours before the surgery successfully? They have to go without milk and water 6 hours before the procedure and how can the kid take it? My boy's GA is scheduled for tomorrow at 9am which means he needs cannot have breakfast and has to withstand hunger. How do your kid cope?

BTW, how long (hours or days) before your kid can return to normal activities, being his usual self again? I'm worried about fever and other side effects which mean he will have to stay at home for a few days and cannot attend an event that I've signed him up for this sat.

Just in case anyone need to make appt at SDC, the earliest appt is in July. I'm going to make appt to bring my 3 yr old there during the school holidays.

Hi,
My 6 yrs old complaint toothache. Her first attempt to Polyclinic dental failed. She refused to go near the Dentist. Is the school dental centre good in managing freak out kid? Thanks

Hi,
My 6 yrs old complaint toothache. Her first attempt to Polyclinic dental failed. She refused to go near the Dentist. Is the school dental centre good in managing freak out kid? Thanks

Complaint toothache? Means she needs extraction?

I have phobia with Polyclinic dental. One of my worst experience and I will never step in again. The doctor must had a bad morning when I visited him. Attempt failed? Means what?

My 2nd home used to be with National Dental Centre. Made at least six trips there to have root canal treatment, small surgery cutting the gum, etc.. so far so good. Female doctors are very nice there.

I'm not too sure if both school dental centre and national dental centre have the same crowds and settings. If the pace is fast due to many children visiting, many parents hanging around, will it freaks out kids more? School dental centre have great google reviews. :)

If you couldn't figure out any option, I have a thread on a dental Dr. who helps dentophobic patients overcome their fears. You can consider if you want. :)

Hi Dr Tooth,

My child did not sit on the dental chair non stand to open mouth to check. She has mild autism. I called School dental centre, the appointment given is in March 2017, too Long waiting. Where is the dental doc located, you mentioned? Thanks

Hi Dr Tooth,

My child did not sit on the dental chair non stand to open mouth to check. She has mild autism. I called School dental centre, the appointment given is in March 2017, too Long waiting. Where is the dental doc located, you mentioned? Thanks

Hi ashgray77,

I have sent the details to your pm. When you call, you may want to inform his assistant how your child would like to be served. Assuming your child is not going to be sitting on the dental chair. I hope after the visit, your child will be smiling the next time she visits the dentist. :)

Last edited:
My niece was badly affected by cavity. Took her to Torrance dentist, who advised to have teeth extraction. She underwent surgery and best part was that dentist did it so patiently and with less pain. Loved his services a lot.

Hi, I brought my son to see a dentist in The Oral-care Centre. She said my son needs 10 tooth extraction and better to be done under GA. I feel so sorry for him as he is only 5 years old. I am not sure if I should go for it. My concern is on his diet and speech. Does any mummy has any experience to share?

Hi, try to have a second opinion from other dentist they might recommend other options for your son but if they still recommend tooth extraction do it i suffered from dental problems because my milk teeth didn't come out and my parents didn't take the advice of a dentist just make sure that it will be done by a professional dentist, I had denture work and i was very happy with the fitting, with my dentist and the whole procedure thanks to my dentist you can check them out here Smile to Go

Back