Mums 35 and above

sk4

Hi

Have a feeling that the mummys here are rather young.

Wonder anyone of you are of 35 and above? Do you already feel your body ageing? Ha, I mean the spare parts already not so good. Recently I started trying for a third child. Haven't been successful even with calculation and timing. Wonder if my eggs are no longer good...

Hi SK,
It's more difficult to conceive when a woman hit her 30s. Women are different from men. Men can still father kids even in their 60s. Relax and all the best in trying. Hope to hear good news from you.

hi sk,

glad tt u started this thread. am also a mum +35. actually, just became a mum this yr.

i also feel my body is not wat it used to be. stiff shoulders, backaches, harder to cope with insufficient sleep, the list goes on...

also worried about my ageing eggs. wd like to have 2nd bb, but wonder if i can beat the biological clock. i bet in near future, women will routinely freeze their eggs when they r in their 20s. i wd have done so if given the choice...

Yes, biological clock. When I havent been successful, it dawned on me what docs always say not to put off having children for too long cos when you want it you may not have it.
Yap, I think you are one of those lucky ones. My SIL also had all her 3 children after 35, no problem. I hope I can be lucky too. I wished I had made this decision for another child earlier. Freezing eggs? Hmmm, good idea!

Other than that, my knees have become weaker, after squatting need more effort to stand up again. Back also weak. One of my gf just turned 40 got long sighted already! My goodness!

hi..i'm close to that.. hehehe...34 this yr.... have been inactive for a while. not like b4. running around like crazy. still want to but just can't with the kiddos...

hi sk, i'm lucky to hv 2 of them, though I have waited till neck long-long for each of them.
Hosp twice for dehydration fr morning sickness for 1st one. 2nd one morning sickness was not so bad.
Don't give up hope, lots of bb dust to you...

sk, yap,
I am happy to find this thread. I had my first baby at age 34, second baby at 35. I used the ovulation test kit to conceive both of them. Both successful on the first try. I had an easy pregnancy with almost no morning sickness, can still walk for 2 hours shopping right up to the day before I delivered.

But the really tough part is taking care of baby. If I had to wake up at night, I feel like zombie the next morning, sometimes even had to take MC. I used to be able to survive with 4 - 5 hours sleep when I was a teenager, how I wish I had my babies at that time hehehe

Then when baby started to crawl, and I had to crawl after them, my knees hurt easily. When they started to walk and climb everywhere, I feel dizzy when they move around too fast. Sigh...now I hope they fast fast grow up so my life will be easier.

Hi Mummies,

Like Boo ...
I'm not 35 yet, but already having problem catching up with my boy.

Currently with one boy, and with no intention to try for 2nd baby. Had always envy mummies with little girls, but the thought of starting all over again puts me off, as my pregnancy had not been easy.

Since we are all 'too old' to run after the kids, any idea or tactic to share on "how to keep them down", at least for a while?

hi aa,
not thinking of sedating him, right? alternatively, can get thim to do lots of activities in the day so that night time will be a breather..
:+)

Ofcoz not bear to sedate him.
he seems to be very energetic ...

feeling bad rite now as juz now scolded DS ... was very tired today and he's talking at top of his voice since the minute i reach my mom's place. tried to endure but ... ...

seems that my temper getting short these days, maybe need a break these days.

aa,
May be you can try letting him watch some interesting DVD/VCD ? I just bought the Leapfrog Phonics DVDs for my girl, she loves watching them and will quietly sit for 1 - 2 hours watching. Previously she loves Finding Nemo and can sit still for the whole movie.

She also likes Playdough, and building her Lego Fairy tale castles. When she is doing something interesting, she will be able to sit still and concentrate.

I let her attend the Little Gym, where she can do all those "dangerous" and exciting routines. So when she comes home, she is not so interested in monkeying around since she already has all the fun at the Gym :)

Sometimes I will just bring her to take the MRT on very long trips. She tends to behave very well when she is outside with me.

tamarind,

Recently actually subscribed to Disney Playhouse for him to watch, he'll actually sit still watching his favourite programmes for at least half to one hour. Initially let him watch "Polar Express", "Snow Dogs", "Madagascar", "Ice Age 2", ... noticed he picked up a lot of funny actions from this shows (like used his hand to clean his mouth after milk and sticking out his tongue). Nearly faint ...

Does your gal play on her own? My boy always wanted someone to sit with him, not exactly to play with him (as he'll play on his own), but he just want someone to sit together and watch him. Don't really understand his logic
sad.gif

For Little Gym, is there any instructor around to coach her? Ever been to see their classes, but seems all quite big boys/girls. Or my timing is wrong. Only concern is whether he'll try to practice all the 'stunts' at home as my mom cannot have 24hrs eye on him.

For the Leapgfrog series, is it really good? I am still deciding whether to buy the Leapfrog series or Vtech (something like that) series.

aa,
My girl plays on her own most of the time. Sometimes she wants people to play with her, mostly to help her with more complex puzzles she cannot figure out by herself.

At the Little Gym there are instructors guiding the children to do basic gymnastics skills. They have classes for babies as young as 12 months old ! My girl does not do the stunts at home, because she knows that at home there are no paddings and it will hurt very much.

I find the leapfrog series quite good, there are 3 DVDs which teaches phonics in a fun way. I haven't watch Vtech so don't know how they compare.

I am looking for rock climbing classes for my 20 month boy. He loves to climb everywhere like a monkey, well he is born in the year of the monkey. Do you know of any places where they teach toddlers ?

My girl is going to start attending a new playschool next week. She is 3 years plus now, hopefully she will not get sick so often like before. Any tips on how to improve her immunity ? She has been taking cold liver oil, but seems like not much use. I am thinking of flu jab and tui na. Do you know of any chinese medicine that can help ?

I'm using the ovulation test kit also, that's why I suspect my eggs are no longer good that's why with planning also cannot conceive.

Wow Yap, you must be very happy to have your baby after waiting long long. And tamarind, you are really smart to quickly have two consecutively.

Actually as we age, we must really take care of our body. We can only know the consequence from 50s. Like my mom who is in her late60s, I think she did not take care well,now, she has diabetes, high blood, high cholestrol and did a ballooning in her arteries. Recently her arthritis give her a lot of pain. She has to take a lot of medicine and hardly can walk for long. I see her quite pathetic. Compared to others of her age, some are still looking after grandchildren or working. It is like a long race, you only know it towards the end.

tamarind,

Had always thought rock climbing are for kids like 6 and above. If happen to come across, shall let you know.

Your girl actually takes the cod liver oil, original taste? My son vomitted when I fed him with the original taste one. Whether effective think depend very much on the kids' body.

Think flu jab does not work for my boy. He's been taking flu jab but he still down with flu easily. PD said his problem is more on sensitive airways, than the actual flu. Quite confused when he's down with actual flu.

Tui na? Will it help? Will it too painful for kids?
Lately, my boy's condition is improving. Do not know its due to his better immune system or the soups my mom prepared is working. Now and then, she'll add some chinese herbs into his soup or porridge, but do not know what exactly are they. Will check out and let you know via email lah.

hi,
my 5 yr-old girl went for rock climbing at Climb Adventure at Keppel Rd. That was fun and she managed to scale to great heights. That built her confidence too.

it seems i'm so far the only 35+ mum with a baby. rock climbing? mine can't even sit by himself... if i could turn back the clock, i'd be a mum at 32.

boo,
My boy is only 20 months
happy.gif
I thought it is a good time to let him start learning rock climbing, because his body is so light. I called Climb Adventure, their minimum age is 5 years.

aa,
My girl takes the orange flavoured cod liver oil. I haven't tried Tui Na, just heard that it works for some children. But it is so far away at Changi Road, difficult for us to go.
Thanks in advance for your information about the soup.

sk,
I agree with you that we are more conscious of our health now. I am starting to watch what I eat, when I was younger I don't care at all. Now my cholesterol is borderline high, starting to worry already.

couscous,
If I could turn back the clock, I would give birth at 27 years old, the year I got married. Then now my kid will be so big already.

I've my boy when I'm 35+ and he is 5 yrs old now. Never thought of having a 2nd one cos I was nausea the whole day for almost 6 months. Other than that, no problem at all.

hi tamarind,
the other time i took my girl, she was about 4. i think they let her climb anyway bec of her built. i know why they stick the rule to 5yrs..cos it can be really scary up there...i've tried it too.. intially, rather sceptical. after a while..very shioklah..
happy.gif

unlike aa and kelvinmum, my pregnancy was smooth-sailing and it was the happiest 9 mths of my life. i miss being pregnant...

however, i have mixed feelings abt trying for the 2nd one. on the one hand, i feel i should be contented that i have one kid,
cos he came along when i almost gave up the hope. i dun feel like going through that monthly disappointment again.

on the other hand, i worry if my bb will feel lonely and yearn for a sibling to play with. many of my frens say tt their kids keeps asking for baby sis or bro.
wonder if anyone feel the same way.

hi couscous,
it's really true about them asking cos that was what happened to me. however, that was not the reason why i had my 2nd. i just love kids although they can really tear u to bits sometimes.
the only thing i hate about conceiving again is the losing weight after that part cos i gain weight easily.
hhhmmmnnn.
:+) otherwise, i love being pregnant too

Hi all..

At last found some mummies around my age group...

I had my boy when I was 36..now he's 13 going 14mths old...I wanna try for another one..hopefully girl..this year, deliver next yr. But sometimes the thought of it scares me coz dunno i can cope with it or not. But i see my newphew and nieces who are the only child very poor thing...they are so bored at home coz no playmates..and when they meet they play like there's no tomorrow.

Tamarind..u k add more garlic to your kid's meal to boost their immunity. I always put alot of garlic into my boy's chicken soup for him to drink and oso 2 cloves of garlic to cook his porridge. Alternatively, u k try to double boil cordylcep (about 2 pcs) with a pc of chicken meat with about half bowl of water. Double boil for about 2 hrs. I give this to my boy every week (unless he's sick then i won't give)..this is good for clearing phlegm and flu.

sammi,
Thanks for the information ! I have heard that garlic is good, but never thought of putting it in their porridge.

boo,
My oldest girl is only 3 years old, may let her try when she is 4 years old.

couscous, sammi,
When I decided to have another baby, the only purpose is to keep my older girl company, so that she will not be so lonely. Now I feel so happy looking at the 2 of them. My girl has learnt a lot of things by having a brother, like she finally understands that she is not the centre of the universe, and she learns to share.

tanarind,
yup..she had great fun there and still begging us to bring her there. now waiting for my son to turn 4 to bring both there.

Tamarind..yup garlic is a very powerful n good veggie..I usually grind the garlic with his porridge so that my boy eats the garlic as well. I noticed that he doesn't get flu or cold so easily like before...he has sensitive nose like i do and I do not like to keep giving him medicine.

I'm planning to hv another bb..i enjoy being pregnant actually despite the 1st trimester morning sickness n gaining all those weight.

i also feel scared if i can cope with 2 young kids as i can't expect much help from my parents & in-laws, and not very keen to have a maid.

i didn't have anyone helping me during the confinement, and the first 3 months after giving birth were really really tough...

anyone here taking care of 2 or more kids alone? would appreciate if you could share ur experience.

Sammi,

garlic taste and smell normally quite strong, how did u conceal the smell or taste? or your boy is ok with it?
pls share.

Hi aa

I jus cook the grains, veggies and meat with the chicken soup (wic oso has lot garlic) in the slow cooker..the sweetness of the veggies like pumpkin, carrots, parsnip etc and meat will musk the sharp taste of the garlic..smell wise..not very strong garlic smell leh. My boy has been eating this combination since he was 6 mths old..

Plus he drinks the chicken soup with his lunch / dinner everyday. The garlic actually gives a very nice aromatic smell to the soup n food.

Will try to make the soup this weekend.

Another prob is DS dun eat vegie at all. Used to be able to cook the vegies in his porridge, ever since he dun eat porridge, not able to get him to eat any vegie.
Any 'remedy' for that?

Try hidding the veggies, eg make meat ball with some mashed pumpkin or carrot, pies with some veggies..look into baby cookbooks like Annabel Karmel's to source for ideas.

Hi couscous,

I'm one who is taking care of two kids alone without any help. I'm a SAHM for two years wo maid nor in laws. My kids are now coming 3yo and 5yo. The initial period is tough. It took me one whole year to get used to this lifestyle. Can't remember when was the last time went "pak tor" with my hubby. Whenever I want to do things alone, say go facial, I need to arrange with my hubby to look after them at home. Go marketing also need to bring the younger one along, as older one schooling. Sacrifices yes, but rewards aplenty too. See them grow up together, learn things together and of course fight with each other too! Now that they are older, it is much easier than before. At least they can play with each other while I do my household chores. I used to think if people with four kids can do it, I can do it too.

Hi

I come across this Women's Public Forum advertised in the Straits Times by TMC titled "Stay Healthy, know Your Body!" and thought it is quite interesting to attend. It touches on brittle bones, gynae cancers, fibroids/cysts and breast health. Unfortunately, it is held on 22July which I have something on.

Hi Mummies,

I am 41yo sahm and have a ds who is 33mths old.I love girls and was very sad (cried for a day) when I discovered that we were gg to have a boy.....but this lovely son of ours is our miracle baby.
It took my dh and I a very long time to conceive and when we finally did, I had very unusual preggie symptoms. Later, this followed w Gestational Diabetes..

Hi,

I am 38 with 3 boys. I gave birth to my 3rd boy at 36. I think I am one of those lucky, very easy to conceive. Once I lost count that month, I will just get it (that's how I hv my 3rd one).

Hi

I'm 36 with a 10 years old n 5 years old boys. I think i'm the only one here who has a 10 years old child.

Now, my main ordeal is to oversee my eldest in his study. Very siong n frustrating. Even throw out blood. Although I'm into another level of child caring now, sometimes when i look at them and think back their babies' days, i got the urge to have another one again and if i really do, i hope it's gonna be a healthy baby girl! However, on the other hand, we are worried that if the 3rd one is coming, we will be financially very strapped.

Very contradicting right? sign........

Hi miracle bebe & fei fei,

It must be tough being pregnant above 35 years old! A lot of concerns, I supposed, like worry for Down Syndrome baby etc. Did you have to do any amnio tests for that?

Mrs Chew,
You are right, life is full of contradictions. However, people always tell me in terms of having children, if you really want, go for it, cos they tend to regret later in their life for not taking that step. Somehow things will work out eventually.

For me, I delayed having babies until I was 33 years old, because I wasn't sure whether I want to have them. I got pregnant only because my biological clock was ticking, and I am afraid that I will regret later in life. After I have my first one at 34, I immediately have another one at 35. I think having babies complete my life
happy.gif

Hi sk,

I didn't go for any extra test even though it's advised by gynae. I m lucky enough to have a healthy baby and too, I had a smooth and easy pregnancy. I believe, perhaps, I took good care during my 1st & 2nd confinement.

Hi all,

I'm really happy to find this thread. I'm 35 and had a 5yo boy & a 1yo girl. I had my first child arnd 30, if given another chance I wld prefer to have kids early. About having a 2nd kid, for me, is more like giving my boy a company but now i find that they are so different and i hv no regret hving a 2nd kid. I enjoy both their company even though sometimes can really vomit blood.

Hi Baby2005,

You are right, looking after children sometimes can really vomit blood. I note that your children are 4 years apart, may I know do they like to play with each other? I have two children now, 5yo & 3yo, and one more coming next year. I wonder with at 6-yr gap between my 1st and 3rd and 4-yr gap between my 2nd and 3rd, will my no. 3 feel left out.

just saw this thread. i have a 25mth old boy and was 34 when he was born. trying for 2nd but still not successful yet. have stopped working for a while so that i can spend more time with my boy and hopefully #2 will come with less stress.

sk,
Congrats! Ya, one problem abt such a big gap is they may not play together esp when they are of a diff gender. For my kids, so far, sometimes they will play together but sometimes the elder one will feels that the younger one is disturbing him. There's some advantages though, the elder one will give in, most of the time, to the younger one. But i don't know when they grow older hee...

Glad to found the 'blossom' girls section. I'm was 31 when I delivered my son, 35 when I delivered my twin gals. My son age 5 and gals are 21 mths. I was telling myself that if I didn't succeed in conceiving before 35 than I will give up and settle for 1 kid...lucky me, blessed with 2 more angels in my life. I love children and they complete my family life. I'm a happy 36+ SAHM taking care of 3 little ones. Physically, I've plantar fascitis and have to wear inner sole to prevent the sharp pain when I step on the ground first thing out of bed. Easily get sprains and really must admit age catching up. Must start consuming calcium supplements now...

Baby2005,
Yes, advantages of disadvantages of having a bigger gap, guess one solution is to go for a no. 4 with a 1- or 2-yr gap to no. 3! Ha ha, I must be crazy!

Duckweed,
I did not conceive easily for this baby as well. It gets tougher with age, I realized. I used the ovulation kit to help the timing. You may wish to try.

Sincerity,
I always imagine myself to bear twins, how nice, how special. Envy you, but during pregnancy is tougher? How did you get plantar fascitis?

Hi Sk,
For both my pregnancy, I 've bleeding and was order bed rest for the first 6 mths, alternate days to inject proluton oil based injection to stabilise the pregnancy till ard 32 wks. I also have placenta previa. Trip on my way up the stairs and the 1 & only time and ended up so serious. Haiz...went for physio but didn't help and see improvement only after chinese sinseh.
Thanks. If I have a choice, I would rather have a singelton pregnancy, all the goodness, space around. Unlike multiple pregnancy, there's a likelyhood to have twin to twin transfusion, low birth weight, miscarriage, premature birth etc. When I was 5 mths, I blown up and all my previous maternity wardrobe can't fit me any more, have to tailored made. Of course, I have my sweet moments of joy of double hugs and kisses now.

sincerity,
What is plantar fascitis ? I also got the sharp pain when I stepped on the ground first thing out of bed, that time I was about 30+ weeks pregnant with my 1st child, singelton. It also hurt every time when I walked.

Are you taking care of all 3 by yourself ? Any help ? I cannot imagine myself taking care of my 2 kids alone, my mother and maid are helping me. In fact, last weekend when my mother went back home, I almost got a nervous breakdown.

Back