MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

rains,
Thanks for letting me know ya.. In fact, I seldom beat my girl. So I do not have the problem when I use my hands to saying her, she will move away. I do use cane sometime when I got really frustration and angry. My girl just like your girl, takes long to do her homework. She would just stares at one question for half hour and not doing anything. And my girl is super lazy, she just refuse to use her brain to think, her tuition teacher also said the same thing to me. I remember I beated her up twice last year using cane. This year so far not yet.. just once or twice a few smack on her backside using my hands. My girl is so slack that sometime I don't really know what to do with her. Just a few pages of school homework can take 4-5 hours to do. I think she is going to fail her CA1 this time.

I told my girl, if she fails her CA1, there will be no holidays for her duing March holidays. She need to do more studies.

Rains/ Cath,

I always tell my DD to : "DO IT ONCE, DO IT FAST, DO IT RIGHT!!!" for her homework. i ask her: u wanna play? No problem, finish ur homework before e.g.8pm! then u can play, rest, watch TV,etc... so she hv no choice but to finish fast!!

i usually dont go thru her homworks after she finish them. cos i think its not my job to correct them(Worse, i lazy!!Hehehehe.....), let her make mistakes n learn fm them. Y should i make myself so busy n fustrated??

Mommies,
ur P5 babies went for the P5 camp already?? my DD is going on a 3-day camp, one wk before the mar holiday?

VQ,
Aiyo ... you think I never tell her that ah - 'Do it once, do it fast, do it right'. She also knows that if she finishes her work quickly, she gets to do anything she wants.

There was this precious one time that she finished her work quickly. I said 'yes' to whatever she asked ie. go to library, borrow dunno how many books, read her books and dunno what lah. She even exclaimed,"You're saying 'yes' to everything!!!"

But she's just like that lah, want to take one whole day to do one page of homework.

My kid went for her camp end January. She slept for one whole day when she came home.

Haha ... Cath, I also said that my kid doesn't want to use her brain.

Eh, where are you all going for March lah? Must say quickly leh. If not I really cannot go anywhere liao.

VQ,
I also tell me girl many many times already..do it fast so you have time to watch TV etc.. but yet she still do it slowly. So she will have to miss her favourite TV shows.
My girl going for 3-day Camp in June/July school holidays.

Rains,
We nvr say u cannot go anywhere leh?? y u must wait for our answer ah?

ok, we going to hong kong disneyland cos my younger DD nvr been there n the best part is we r paying for air-tickets ONLY. our disneyland hotel n tickets r paid for by my girls' godmama!!!

Wow! then does that means my girl is easily contented? but of cos sometimes she still needs me to "KICK" her butt!! i m really so sick of these! so i tell myself i m going to wash my hands off!! but after a while, i start kicking her butt again!!! Fed UP!!

regarding the P5 camp, is all the camps in charge by adam khoo?? my girl's sch is. their programs r arrange by adam khoo!

VQ,
hahaha ... I want to know where you all are going mah - to get inspiration, you know?

I can't decide where to go, or whether to even go anywhere. I find the days too few and I haven't got the time to research on any place.

Wah, so nice! I love Hong Kong, minus the rude people there. And I love disneyland hotel. It's such a beautiful hotel. If I ever go Disneyland again, I'll definitely stay at the hotel again. Too beautiful to miss! Take loads of pictures ya?

Wah, your kid's school is very rich - camp programme arranged by Adam Khoo. My kid's school only got teachers, parent volunteers and some secondary school 'instructors' who were also kids themselves. Still better than my school lah - solely run by teachers with just one pathetic parent volunteer.

Cath,
What? The kids and teachers have to burn their holiday for the camp? *shake head* Poor teachers! *psst! pm me the school can?*

wa VQ your school rich leh...engage adam khoo for camp! mine going for his P5 camp coming week...with instructors from a 3rd party called 'camp high achiever' plus school teachers. he is excited about it...so are we
happy.gif

i thought about going Penang during Mar holidays but he may be having class so unlikely to go. Anyway by now probably a bit late to find cheap deals liao.

how are your kids coping with the MT compo? i don't think he started the "ming ti" yet...still with the 6 pictures type. pictures already difficult i can't imagine one with just the title. i wonder if i should sign him up for compo tuition just so he gets more practice.

Wen,
I let mine go for Chinese enrichment for compo and compre - by a vendor in her school. But I feel that writing for Chinese and English is the same ie. without reading, writing well is impossible.

Rains,
I think at primary school level, it is still possible to do reasonably well in compo if the kid memorises the techniques and good phrases plus good grammar. But at a higher secondary or JC level, then reading widely will be extremely important because the essay writing will not be restricted to simple fiction...

my girl's sch rich?!?! my girl jus came back fm sch last fri, after their sch sports day, complaining how her sch "sucks"!!! cos their team got 3rd in the finals n the prizes r only for 1st n 2nd!! i definitely wont register my younger DD to her sch!! cos i also feel her sch is lousy!! not only regarding of this prizes thingy, it's alot of issues give me a 2nd thoughts on whether to register my younger DD to this sch!

my elder DD commented the sch sports day "sucks" then the P5 camp wont be very fun too!!! i told her, not to comment too early, she will jus go there to experience days without my nagging!! let me hv some peace too!! Hahaha....

I send my DD to both english n chinese compo too. Both my DH n i c improvements in her chinese compo after a mth with the chinese sch. We r surprised to c she writes so "bombastic" nw!! As for Eng, she use to write good compo n top the class but dont know Y. Her compo writing drops, but i believe she will gets better as she is writing 1 situational n 1 compo per alternate wk nw. Hope she gets better results this year.

Oh yes! i would like to ask if my DD did not take higher chinese this year, can she choose to take next year? cos all chinese teachers in her tuition ctr ask, based on my girl's standard she should take higher chinese n Y she does not? my answer is cos the sch MT teacher did not recommend her to take! my thinking is if sch teacher nvr say YES, i dont want to give my girl pressure!!

Jess,
My take is, if the child does not read, he's not familiar with the language structure. Even if he's able to memorise the 'good' phrases, he's not able to use them effectively and it's easy to tell that he memorised them, like my kid, she used to say,"而已 a few children." thinking that 而已 is simply 'only' and can be used anywhere.

Some of her language structure is strange and 'unusual', which I think only habitual reading will be able to help solve it.

VQ,
I think it's not likely that your kid can take higher chinese next year at P6 if she didn't take it this year. It doesn't make sense that she could skip one year of higher chinese and take it at a crucial year.

Mummies,
I just got lambasted by the mother and father of a stupid kid who refused to hand in his compo.

They blamed me for not informing them in writing (instead of calling). They blamed me for not making him want to hand in his work ('Maybe it's something you did to him in class.'). They blamed me for making him stay back after school to do work.

They started to find fault with me over irrelevant things ie. why you cannot use your handphone to call me? Why he's behaving like that? Why are you the only one calling me? Why he doesn't hand in your homework only?

I was so upset that I told the father I was going to do work now and so bye!

I won't be surprised if I'm asked to drink kopi with my first or second boss after today.

I am very angry with myself for being so stupidly insistent with homework submission. I am very angry with myself for trying to be a responsible educator. Year after year, facts have bitten me on my nose that I should let them rot in hell and I still naively try to 'make a difference' when it's these small and insignificant thing that will land me in trouble with the bosses.

Maybe I really deserve to be marked down severely before I will stop being such a nosey parker.

Rains,
We need teachers who teach children the right thing. Submitting homework is a basic responsibility of a student, so unless it is an unreasonable demand, the teacher has a right to punish the kid for not doing so. If the kid's parents support their child in not submitting homework, ask them to write in explicitly. I don't think you have done anything wrong. Please don't let unreasonable parents "teach" you the wrong thing....

Jess,
Well said, Well said!!!

Rains,
Jia-You, Jia-You, Jia-You!!!!!!

i still rememeber u once told us u hv a weird student who like to use pencil to "stab" the poor disability-student in front of him n his parents also weirdos!!!

Cool down, Cool down!!! u think everybody so NORMAL like us here meh!!!

Yes, i agree with Rains that both English n Chinese reading do help in compo writing.

Hey, Hey!!! remember that girl who use to have eng tuition with my girl? her "live-in-her-own-world" mother sms me, 'her DD told her my DD no longer with the tutor'. HELLO!!! my girl has not been with the tutor for a mth liao!!! nw then she ask! then she ask me to "share" where i send my girl to, she also wanna send her girl there for science!!! I HACK CARE HER!!! u better keep far far away fm my girl n me, dont ruin our well-plan tuition timing!!! i m not going to be so "noble" to "SHARE"!! i had told u mommies, she will be so "KIASU" to think that i had found a BETTER tutor!!

Rains, my boy hardly reads any Chinese books. Despite that, his CL compo writing is not too bad and he is able to use good phrases taught by his compo teacher rather aptly. That's why I think at primary school level it is still possible to score around 30 to 33 for compo ( Er.... maybe that's considered low in your opinion) if the kid learns the techniques. But of course if the kid also reads frequently, he will be even better in expressing himself.

Mummies,
Today my Boss asked to see me, regarding the parents of that kid.

Fortunately, everything turned out well. The Boss didn't side the parents as many of my colleagues had expected - they felt that she's very pro-parents. She even asked me not to call the parents since the parents are so sensitive and overprotective of their kid. She also didn't want to give the parents the impression that I'm now scared of them becos they complained to her.

Jess,
No, no. My kid always only scrapes thro for her Chinese compo. 30 to 33 would be very very good for my kid.

I am not sure how come your kid can do well in chinese compo since he doesn't read chinese much. Mine struggles with the structure and grammar. She tends to translate directly ie. 'old lady' is '老女子'! *faint*

Rains,
My boy used to do direct translation from English to Chinese too. But he is now better after I highlighted some differences to him eg. we can mention "time" at the end of a sentence for English - I went to the library "yesterday" or I took it "first". But in Chinese we usually mention the "time" first - 昨天我去图书馆 and 我先拿。When he watches Chinese drama on TV, I also encourage him to listen to the language instead of just reading the English subtitles. I do not know how to teach Chinse grammar like the way we do for English, so I suppose the only way is to listen and read more. I do agree that if he is willing to read Chinese books, his standards will improve much faster. Currently, his Chinese standard is like 2 years behind his English standard....

Hi Jess,
My kid didn't have much of CA1 (again, even at p5. How exasperating!). She only had English for her CA1.

Science totally nothing. Maths - replaced with a problem-solving task while higher chinese is just a 'small test'.

I had hoped that she could at least get 85 for her small test and English, but she fell short of it by a few marks each. Quite worrying.

Hi Mummies here,

I am Eileen age 35 DD P5 , 3 sons - P4, K2 and Nursery. I am staying in Jurong West , teach piano from home while being home to make sure all is well taken care of. Currently with a maid but she is leaving in 4 months' time and afterwhich hubby decided we will not take any maid.
Or in other words , I am taking up another ressponsibility - cook, clean , laundry on top of my teaching and coaching kids
happy.gif

I love cooking and baking but not much time to do that.

Wondering how to cope especially my eldest DD CA test results show she need help in many areas ...

Hope to interact with you all here more often . I FB more often coz more accessible on the phone . If you are on FB , I would like to add you as my friend.

Cheers !

Hi Eileen, welcome!

Rains, same here! Mine didn't have much of a CA1 either. I think only MT and Maths are written, the other 2 I don't know what's happening ;p

I find his form teacher is always out of school. She has been to 2 workshops since year start and lately I heard she has to attend to family matters. Luckily she only teaches English.

Hi Wen,

I think there is English and Science this week but the Science looks like practical. You might want to check with your DS if it is practical. Sometimes it can really be a headache with these boys.

Hi Eileen,
Welcome to this thread. I had maid before, but since last Sept my maid contract finished. We decided not to get maid as my kids were too dependent on maid. So since then I have been working and doing houseworks as well. As for cooking, my mother-in-law is doing it because shs stays with us.

My girl just got her CA1 result and when I aaw her Math result, my heart sank. she needs lots of help. So me and my hubby decided to take turn to take leave to help her improve in this area.

My boy managed to get 85 and above for all subjects except HMT which he got only 78, pulled down by compo. But the school is a neighbourhood school, standards ususlly not cery high. Will need to monitor his HMT closely. If there is no improvement in SA1, may consider dropping the subject in term 3.

Hi ehymum, thanks! I heard the English is in the form of a presentation and my boy's turn is still far away because his index no. is at the back.

rains, Jess,
wah... so envy your kid, I wish mine can score so well. I will be very happy if my girl can score above 70. But... Sigh!

Cath,
The Chinese teacher herself told the kids that it was a 'give-away' paper becos it was easy, and my kid didn't hit 85. There's nothing to envy.

I haven't seen the English paper yet, but I am disappointed becos English is her strongest subject and she's still not hitting Band 1. That's very worrying.

My kid failed her problem-solving task practice, so I am not hopeful about the real task, but hope at least she passes lah. If not really don't know what to do.

Jess,
My kid's school says the kids can do HMT at P6 if they get 50% leh, and you want your kid to drop it when he's doing well? Don't lah. I do think that HMT is more difficult than the normal Chinese. It's not easy for the kids unless the kids like to read Chinese books and are exposed to many vocabulary.

Hi ,

Just talked to my girl's teacher. My dd score 60+ for both Eng and math , 82 for science. Teacher explained that she needs help in understanding the concept for math.

I hope that I do not have to spend more money to send her to tuition. But I find it difficult to teach her. She will insist her way and will not listen to my explanation . So in the end she wasted time and energy .

My girl is One who will resist nap though she is obviously tired. But as she is tired she lack the ability to think well and easily frustrated.

Easier way out will be to pay someone to teach her .

Any suggestions from the floor ?

Eileen

Eileen,
I think that's why tuition exists - it's difficult to teach our own kids.

Your kid sounds like mine - insist on her way and will not listen to my explanation. I find it very frustrating for myself as well, as much as it is for her. I decided to 'sub' English out so that I don't have to keep tab on her for so many subjects.

However, recently, she has been asking me to drop her out of her English class. I am hesitant to do so altho it will save me some money every month. I am skeptical that she would write compos if left on her own.

Thanks Jess for sharing.

So far my girl and son (p4) has done their study on their own and come to me when they need help. Chasing them to do their work is quite normal.

Indeed teaching our own kids is difficult but I will still try . I am those who were even contemplating home schooling but dont't think I can make it
happy.gif

Another problem I often face almost everyday is getting them to shower on e settled down after school. Using different tones and words , try again and again to be as patient as I can. Even thought of leaving it all to them but I just couldn't .

Guess this is what mothers are made for
happy.gif

Sorry for my blunder at this hour, my previous message is to rains
happy.gif
... Small words on the I phone is straining ESP this hour . Hope I can snooze soon ....

hi im just popping by to say 3 cheers to Eileen Ong sleeping at such a wee hours. =)

oh im from 2009 march babies thread. my DS is only 2yo.

Ganbatte to all.. i know raising kids is not easy especially when they are growing up everyday moulding their characteristics is impt and have to monitor their studies at the same time, just like what all of the moms in this thread are doing.

my opinion if the kids really difficult to teach, can try alternative for small group of tuition. students can spur each other to put in that lil more effort in studies.

Sorry for my kpo-ness & popping in here.

Good Day to All !

Hi Rains,
I just asked my son if the Eng enrichment class he attends helps him for his CA/SA...it's comprehensive...grammar/vocab/comprehension/cloze/synthesis/compo...don't know if should let him continue or not...will save $445 if withdraw from class but will mean 100% responsible for it.

hi mummies,

Me back from Bangkok. Bangkok no fun. Got conned for floating market somemore. Will never go back there again I hope. Not true that you can find 'anything' at chatchuchak, not true that the food is good and cheap. Maybe true that the things are cheap but the opportunity cost is the quality. The only thing true about Bangkok is the taxi ride is cheap if you run by meter.

Rains,
I don't quite like Bangkok either, feels unsafe and the traffic quite messy....

We didn't get to go anywhere becos my son has to go back to school almost everyday. Anyway, 3 more days and school holidays will be over....

Jess,
My elder kid didn't get to go becos it hit a few of her commitment whichever day I set the trip to be.

My baby's first aeroplane trip. Amazingly easy to handle.

But I noticed that Bangkok did not have any kids running on the street. I wonder why.

Baby is 2 yrs and 5 months. Haha ... I like to call them 'baby' until they are so old I really can't call them 'baby' anymore.
happy.gif

The older one wanted to go of course - she would want to go Africa if I am going. I told her I want to see results before she can go overseas again. Actually at the last minute, I did try to get a ticket for her but unfortunately I couldn't get an extra one. In any case, I was glad I didn't, becos I later found out she had a chinese camp by school which I had already paid for.

Hi Rains,
Long time no 'see'...you brought your little darling to BKK...may I ask what food did you give her during the trip ?

I signed my son up for Creative Writing as I simply don't know how to coach him in this area...it's difficult compared to Grammar or Synthesis.

Janet,
We gave her anything she wanted to eat, but she isn't very keen on solid food yet. She's random about her food selection. I am a lousy mummy - kid wants to eat, eat; kid doesn't want to eat, let her be.

Creative Writing isn't what it's meant to be anyway. It's more like memorising bombastic phrases and pepper them all over the paper.

Yeah, agree with Rains. I feel that some of the phrases used by kids in creative writing is really too "unnatural". Maybe, in our local context, hardly anyone uses these kinds of description in real life....

Rains/Jess,
Those so-called interesting phrases to spice up compo should relate to the pic and not dumped in just to get marks.
I read some good compo before and they do not have fantastic phrases, just really good plot and grammar.

hi mummies,

Been nearly a month that the last post was up.

How have you been? Any plans for the june hols?

Has anybody been to Shanghai? Is there a way to fly into Shanghai and return from Beijing without burning a hole in the pocket?

rains
check the price from eastern airline, the promotion price can be very cheap if not peak time in China, as low as 300RMB return from Shanghai to Beijing。

hi rains,
You can try their domestic flight from shanghai to Beijing, there are a number of flight, China Eastern Airline, China Southern Airline, Air China, to get a cheap fare, you need to book in advance.
I have been to both Shanghai and Beijing on my business trip. Shanghai is a very beautiful place.

Oh thanks, mummies! I am just wondering how about flying back to Singapore from Beijing? How do you book a ticket that goes to Shanghai and returns from Beijing?

yes, but nw my girl said her cousin is there, she dont want to be in the same school with her... she wanted to be in diferent school, so more things to talk abt?!?!? i dont know.. she jus dont like...

i remind her, dont think too much.. we will discuss abt which sec sch after PSLE... but still i think i need to at least let her know how much aggregate she needs to get, to be able to get into her "desire" sec sch.

so nw, she's choosing another....

Back