MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Hi Mummies,
I bought most of textbooks (from booklist) from Popular...exercise books and several others from school.

Calculator was bought earlier this year from Popular...bundled set with Longman Maths Weekly and a 'Perfect Match' Science assessment book thrown in.

I go to Popular very often...so from time to time will buy new publications which are not bad...seriously I think I spent close to $200 on assessment books too, not including daughter's P1 assessment books yet.
There are attractive discounts at off-peak seasons (no need to have 20% discount voucher).

Mummies,
I spent around $300+ on textbooks and assessments books for both my P2 boy and P5 girl. Textbooks I got from their school, as for assessment books, I went to popular, bought with 20% discount.

Hi Cath,
I guess the total amount is about that (plus & minus)...the 20% discount from Popular is more attractive than prices at BookFest.
Have to control myself when I step into Popular.

Hi Dorothy,
Why don't you stay with your tutor for a while first? Maybe your daughter will be very busy with school work...many friends have advised me to look out for busy schedule ahead when son goes to P5...other than compulsory supplementary lessons, there is also tons of homework.

Hi Mummies,
It's back to school next week...I'm kinda excited to have my morning peace again but will have to be looking at the clock whole day.

Hi Wen,
I understand some schools have included some titles to get for the students (although optional)...one of the staff at Popular told me the Science PSLE Revision Guide is very good and often included in the book list.
Bought it and found it really useful. As for the other title 'Challenging Maths Problems Made Easy' by Ammiel Wan. Is it for P5 or P6 please ?

i wrap textbooks until tired...finally school reopening. at least my boy will be occupied and not complain dunno what to do and end up either in front of tv or computer.

Janet, I didn't notice if the maths book has any level...it covers maths concepts. Will let you know when I'm home.

ya lor...i tried using the plastic covers but they tear or drop easily...so 'manual wrapping' still work the best. in P4 i didn't wrap some workbooks and they look really 'giam chai' can't stand it.

i didn't train my boy to wrap books so end up i'm the one doing it. he doesn't even wash his school shoes. my friend says he should be doing all these himself by now...maybe i should start 'training' him.

Wen,
I also never train my gal to wrap books. Too many books to wrap. In the end, I also never wrap.

I tried to make her wash her own shoes, even tried the 'reward' (read: bribery) system by offering her 50 cents to wash her shoes. But I think she didn't care about the 50 cents.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday Wen! You know, 30s is the best time of my life. I have never enjoyed life so well till I hit 30. I hope it gets even better at 40.

Hi Wen,
Strangely, daughter's school sold a pack of book covers for textbooks and activity books unlike son's school...somemore same vendor.
The book covers are meant for CL text/workbook (A and B), Social Studies, Maths text/activity books.

I used some of the covers meant for activity books for son's instead. No point wasting the covers on these workbooks.

I didn't train my son to wrap his books either...but I do 'manual wrapping' for his reference books which can be passed down to younger daughter.

Jess,
Amen! Amen! Amen! "Hardworking and obedient"!

I am waking up in 4.5 hours' time, but I am abit excited - over the new bag I bought! Hahaha ... I can't decide if I should bring the new bag to work tomorrow!

good morning!!!!
happy new year to u all!!

yes!finally,the school starting!!!!

Janet, yr gal not gg to yr boy's school?

am so excited cos my son is gg N1...

Rains, heehee.. i like yr posting... share with me what bag u buy leh....

RE:wrapping of books...
i also manual wrapped her textbooks.. only bot the ready make cover for exercise book.

Hi Dorothy,
Happy New Year to you !!!

Yes, school has started...son in P5 this year. Daughter in P1 and not attending same school as son.

Dorothy,

happy.gif
I bought this:
4967402.jpg

I googled for the above image huh. This is not mine.

Janet,

Heh heh! Thanks! Almost wanted to wait for the brown one (it's out of stock) but a friend said brown one looks auntie. We stepped out of the boutique and saw an auntie carrying the brown one, so I thought it was a 'sign' that tells me I should skip the brown one.

Hi mummmies,
I wish I could be with my kids when school started but unfortunately I am now in this freezing cold China, business trip for 2 weeks. My hubby was helping with all the preparation for the kids.

rains,
The bag very nice leh, wish I could have one too.

Rains,
This colour combination nicer lah...easy to match with clothes. Feels good to pamper ourselves hor ? There's a certain 'feel good' feeling which will last quite a while.

Thanks, mummies!

Janet,
How true! A friend who's not into bags (not that I am) showed her displeasure at my purchase of bags and said that the money could be better spent on spas. She said that bags only give you a feel-good feeling for just a while but spas could last longer. I beg to differ - bags are practical and are tangible while spa treatments are invisible and intangible.

I used to stinge on myself a lot, until friends and colleagues expressed horror at my carrying of a bag with a broken strap. It made me think about how I treated myself versus the way I spent on my elder kid. It was unhealthy and it gave my kid and me unnecessary pressure. I realised that buying things for myself makes me feel good about myself and relieves the strain between my kid and myself.

rains!!! nice!!! tempted.... i think i need one too!ya.. we mummies will always stinge on ourselves.. time to reward ourselves...

hahhaha

today is my first day of work... so sleepy... n i miss my piglet so much....

mummies... do yr P5 have homework? mine on the first day of school got homework already... like super stressful

Rains,
I love bags...it's tangible...one man's meat another man's poison. If your friend is not a 'bag person', she should have kept her displeasure to herself. Shouldn't be a wet blanket.

Dorothy,
Homework ? Not yet leh, but I have a 6th sense son will have that 2moro. It's not possible for P5 to be so free.

Dorothy,
Yes, mine got homework, but not alot.

Janet,
I guess you're right. I was bothered by her comments for quite some time becos we had been friends for 20 years and she said that women who like bags with brands are people who 打肿脸皮充胖子. I felt hurt that she said that becos I did not say anything negative about her likes or what she was willing to spend on.

Hi Rains,
Friend of 20 years should not be talking like that what...so tactless. Ignore her. This person is not worth being friends with. Seek pleasure in your bag.

hi Dorothy,
Both my P5 girl P2 boy so far no homework.

Rains,
Probably your freind jealous cuase she does not has the same nice bag.

Janet and Cath,
Perhaps she was just being frank with what she thought becos we have been friends for so long, altho we meet up just once or twice a year for some years now.

Thanks for your kind words. It's nice to find people who share the same love for bags.

Hi Cath,
Your son no hw yet. My boy only had 1 journal to write and that's about it...anyway, I'm reminding him to get ready to go full swing next Mon onwards.

Rains,
People change...although you have been friends for so long, you meet up only once a year.
Oh yes, I LOVE BAGS.

Hi! My boy did not have much homework so far, just 2 pieces of situational writing, 1 Chinese journal and 1 Chinese book review.

How many afternoon classes do your kids have this year? My boy has 2, starting from the week after next. May increase to 3 if they are not on schedule.

Hi Jess,
My son's supplementary starts in Week 3.
Your son has situational writing already ??? Mine here has 3 pages of Science, 1 journal.

hi Janet,
My P5 girl supplemetary class starts week 3 also. 4 days, science, math, English and Chinese. So far these few days, she has 1 journal to write and some Math and Science homework to do.

As for my P2 boy, still no homework yet.

Hi Cath,
Son just received his spelling list and first one will be this Thur.
His supplementary class is twice a week, alternating between 4 subjects.
Science, school started with Cycles...learning about heredity and most prob Human Reproduction this week.

Janet,
That's fast! Immunisation? I haven't even got any letter! Only enrichment forms by external vendors. There'll be a meet-the-parent by principal and form teacher this Saturday. I'll be more updated by then.

Mummies,
What are the subjects your kids are having enrichment or tuition in? Mine is only English, and am thinking of getting her to enrol in the other 3 subjects' classes, whether tuition or enrichment.
Which centre is good for maths, science and chinese huh?

Rains,
Mine is having Chinese Compo & Compre enrichment only. He is doing fine with the other 3 subjects for the time being.

Hi Rains,
I got the immunization booklet in the 1st week...signed and returned. 3rd day, son told me jab will be given the following week ie 11/1...2 jabs + oral for Polio. Gave him paracetamol twice as he said his arms are painful.

My son is continuing with his English enrichment...no time for any others because of compulsory supplementary twice a week. I didn't want to sign up for any others bcos I was pre-warned about tons of hw.

Rains, my son has been taking the class at HUA Language since last year. He finds it useful and requested to continue taking it this year. I think his compo did improve last year.

Janet, my son did his third piece of situational writing yesterday. Not sure why so much emphasis on it this time year.

Jess,
Situational writing ? OMG, your son already done 3 ? Understand students have to write 2 pieces during SA1...choose 1 continuous or picture compo and write a situational compo.

Wen,
Remember you were asking how many problem sums there are in P5 exam? I went for my kid's principal's briefing and the HOD said there are 13 as opposed to 8 in P4.

Janet, situational writing is 15 marks, compo is 40 marks. So far, they have done a diary entry, a letter to pen-pal and an email.

Rains, is that PSLE format? Maybe they think that the children can do more since they can use calculator...

Jess,
Your son's school very ON. Asked my boy what he has done in school and he told me, one piece of situational writing...I think it's diary.

Jess,
I am not sure if it's PSLE, but it should be. There's no point asking the kids to do so many if it's not the format.

My kid hasn't done even one situational writing.

Rains, maybe she did in school or even last year.... her school should be quite "ON", I think.

Janet, this is the first time anyone commented that my son's school is "very ON", ha ha! It is just a neighbourhood school where everything is on relaxed phase in my opinion. The Principal is retiring this year, very relaxed....

No la, Jess,
I asked my kid already. She said don't have.

Situational writing in P4? Are you kidding me? As far as I remember, I have never thought the school is 'on' for anything. Only the Chinese teacher was very 'on' in calling me to tell me my kid got attitude problem in learning Chinese.

Hi mommies,

In case you haven't read this yet:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754.html
you really ought to! It's a good read!

I am wondering if you concur with her. I do concur just about wholeheartedly, but half of me is corrupted by the western parenting style becos I got run down too early by family and friends for being too hard on my kid when she was young. This excerpt makes me feel that I should have stuck by what I felt was right.

Rains,

WOW!! After reading, i felt i am very very lenient towards my children! Hey! u r not to that extreme lah! frankly speaking, whenever i scold my children, if anyone intefere, i tell them to keep quiet. THEY ARE MY CHILDREN, IF I DONT CORRECT THEM NOW n IMMEDIATELY. WHEN IS THE BEST TIME? WAIT TIL THE POLICE CALL ME ONE DAY??? But of cos, i sure give my children "face", i wont scold them in public, but will give a fierce "U BETTER WATCH OUT WHEN U GET HOME" stare!! Hahaha...

Anyway, i hv not been here since ages.... come in today, to let off some steam....

my dd had EL tuition with another girl fm another sch. her mom approached me last yr to ask me whether i m ok to hv tuition on monday this year. I told her i m fine, then few mths later but still last yr, she approached me again asking me whether i m ok with mon @5pm. i told her i m fine. they started tuition since last Nov. 1 week ago, tutor told me that mom requested to change the timing to 5.15pm. i told her i m fine.

last weekend, got to know my dd hv a long day in sch on mon. school ends at 3.30pm for her. by the time she gets home, it's abt 4pm, got to bath, eat, rest, do homework, etc....

I requested the tutor to change to 7pm, so that my girl hv enough rest before going to tuition n go to bed, immediately after coming back fm tuition. But that mom sms me immediately to reject me!

i regretted introducing my tutor to her. i think it like "getting a stone to hit my own head"!!! I give in to her 3 times n i only requested once! She REJECT me immediately!! I wont be so kind next time!!

best part is, yestr during lesson, the other girl keep on telling my girl that her mom is very angry with me!!

Hello! who should be angry with who??? Brainless!

Rains, I read that article in ST and there is some discussion about it on another parenting website. I think she may be seen as being too strict with her kids but as a mother, she probably knows how much her kids can achieve. Like my own boys, if I force them to do certain things, they will turn rebellious. But if I explain and let them calm down first, they will eventually sort it out (after some crying).

VQ, hope you have calmed down. Why not just let the teacher know your preferred timing and let her sort it out herself? Don't bother to talk to that mother...

Jess,
It's a controversial article and it raises storms in many forums all over the world it seems, especially the westerners'. They are totally shocked and distraught that such acts of 'child abuse' are tolerated or practised.

I thought she's one brave woman who dares to tell the world what she does to bring out the best of her children that others deem 'natural'. Many would have preferred to let others think their children are by nature exceptionally gifted or intelligent. More would not dare to let others know how one has grilled her children before such achievements are possible for fear of being condemned.

But of course, this is only an excerpt from her book 'battle hymn of the tiger mother' which is about the journey of her parenting I think. So she might have taken on a different stand towards the end of the book. But I thought she's really a very articulate and intelligent woman. She is able to word many chinese mothers' underlying intent so well. Very impressive.

VQ,
I agree with Jess that next time you don't liaise with the mother. It'll also be good if you stick to a timing. If not, it might become a point of contention between you and the mother in time to come, then it might not be very pleasant or good for your friendship.

Back