MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Hi rains,
Glad that my sharing is helpful. I am benefitting a lot from all your sharings too
happy.gif
At least, I can now forsee the problems I might encounter in years to come...

<font color="0077aa">Jess,</font>
u get Wen's son registration number fm Wen...

<font color="0077aa">Janet,</font>
Reconsider what abt bb? u mean my adopted bb?

VQ,
Yes, about the baby boy.

Rimilyn,
My son is taking this cod liver oil by this brand Nordic. Available at Forum.

Mummies,
Today is the start of Term 2. Spelling list is out and now got 10 words every week. Week 8 is SA. That's 2nd week of May. Now, I will try to get my son to learn to sit down bcos exam is 1 1/2 hours long.

--> Hi Janet, I have bought my daughter a bottle of Nordic Cod Liver oil (strawberry flavour). When should I feed her? morning, afternoon or night?

Do you mean your son needs to sit for 1.5hour for each subject (chinese, english and maths) during the SA1?

--> To all mummies, can anyone tells me how to teach my daughter to be a caring person. You see, there was a news about a little girl who has lost her legs during an accident. As her family was too poor to buy her a pair of artificial legs, she has to wear a modified basket ball on her bottom. Somehow, she managed to get some donation and now she has a pair of LEGS (like robot legs). Instead of feeling sorry for the girl, my daughter laugh very loud when she saw the legs!!!! I feel very shock and scolded her. Now, I'm lost. I think I don't really understand my daughter. What should I do now?

<font color="0077aa">Rimilyn,</font>
i think ur DD do not know what is all that abt.. that's y she laughed.. she might think that it's a joke or just a show!!!

i saw this news too.. that is really heart-breaking! i saw the shots n told my DD to take note abt it later when it shows... she watched n look so sad.. cos my mom, DH n i told her c u hv legs n u nvr appreciate them.. always run here n there so fast n fell down or hurt them.... this little girl need a basketball to be her legs!!! so poor thing!!!

Yeah, Rimilyn, I don't think your kid understood what was going on. Usually I explain to my kid when the scene is foreign to her and tell her what's going on,"Look, look, this boy doesn't have (this or that)." She'll ask why and I'll explain to her again.

Today I am down with a bad cold. I woke up at 4 plus to prepare a pretty lunchbox for my kid. And it was stolen during silent reading
sad.gif
. Apparently, the kids' bags are supposed to be placed at the back of the hall. I find it so strange. My kid spent the whole recess looking for her lunchbox. She didn't get to eat at all.

Hi VQ and Rains, thanks for your reply. Maybe she really doesn't understand cos the news is in Mandarin. I'm too impatient with her! Actually, it really feels good when you are stress but managed to find someone to talk to. Thanks a lot!

--> Rains, guess your lunchbox must be very cute looking. Girls like cute and pinky items! My daughter did lost her water bottle after silent reading but managed to find back from the General office in the afternoon. Maybe you can remind your daughter to check with her school's Lost and Found section?

I think losing things seems to be part and parcel of primary school children. My son also kept losing his stationery and I make him buy new ones with his own pocket money. So now he is more careful with his things. I also forbid him to bring fanciful stationery to school to avoid attracting attention.

<font color="0077aa">Ladies,</font>
my DD got her Ezlink card yesterday.

i forbid my DD to buy any stationery fm the sch or to bring back any things fm her friends...

Rimilyn,
I give my son the cod liver oil every morning. How's the strawberry flavor you bought ? My boy likes it (mine is peach) but daughter doesn't.

The kids will be taking their 1st SA in May and that means they have to sit down and do the exam quietly. So now, have to train him to sit down. Will extend the time longer until it reaches 1 1/2 hours.

--> Janet, both my kids don't like the strawberry flavor. Do you give your kids any multi-vitamin?

--> VQ, my daughter got her ez-link card too. Yesterday managed to transfer her old card value to this new card. What will happen if she lost her card?

<font color="0077aa">Rimilyn,</font>
now u asked me what if she lost the card.. then i realise WHERE DID MY DD PUT HER CARD??? OMG!!!

Rimilyn,
Thanks for the suggestion, but she's looked for it at the Lost and Found section and the general office and it was not there. It's true that children tend to lose things but I feel that the school has a part to play in the case of my kid. I'm upset becos the loss of her lunchbox wasn't due to her own carelessness. Rather, it was becos the school has an unsound system in place. I thought it's commonsense that if things are congregated at a place not within the reach or even sight of the children, you ought to have some form of supervision over the belongings to deter people from pinching them. They seem to imagine that they are living in an utopia that no one would steal given that there're so many things placed together without anybody watching over them. I'm actually quite disillusioned. The people who plan and run the curriculum didn't even think about such logistics and the possible complications involved, and you're talking about people who are Heads in the education field. I mean, how stupid can they get?!! We all know that we cannot leave our things in public and just walk away, and expect to see them at the original spot when we come back. Why didn't they apply this to the children?
I guess I'm upset also bcos I put in alot of effort in the lunchbox. I'd imagined my kid enjoying her lunchbox when I was on the train at 9.20am, the time of her recess break. I had also put in two little sweets as a surprise for her after she had finished her main course. She didn't get to find out what it was. And the lunchbox (the actual container) was the last one on the shelf. Even I liked it alot.
My husband actually said I shouldn't have spent so much effort and time to prepare a lunchbox for my kid. It was only the 2nd time I did it and she didn't get to eat it. I really feel very sad.
Another thing that happened in school was my kid fell down and scraped her knee. The horror of horrors - some lady at the sickbay applied some cream on my kid's wound and it stuck the cotton bandage cloth to my kid's wound. We spent hours, literally, trying to detach it without success. In the end, I didn't let her go to school the next day becos it was 1.45am when my kid got exhausted from the attempts to remove the cloth.
I'm so upset by all these incidents. So what if it's a 'world class' school? It turns out that the people inside don't have the least of commonsense.

hi rains, don't get too upset...at least they were kind to put some cream on your girl's wound. my boy scraped his knee previously and apparently nothing was done. it doesn't bother me though...unless it's a serious injury.

as for the lunch box, i can understand your dismay over the incident...though i'm not sure if your girl's lunch box was inside her schoolbag or not when it happened? maybe your next one needs to be more plain looking
happy.gif

mommies, i am thinking to preparing my boy's favourite cold soba for his lunch box. problem is i don't know where to put the sauce. the container needs to be small enough fit into his lunch box but large enough to have sufficient sauce for his soba...any ideas?

my last resort would be to buy a larger lunch box and a larger thermal bag ;p

hi Wen,
Thanks! I think the rest of the mummies are frightened by my wrath.
I guess I was overwhelmed by a series of things that hit me at work and home and almost felt that I can't take it anymore, so the outburst.
My kid came home yesterday telling me that she found her lunchbox. The general office people told her there was one in the sickbay and she might want to check it out. The food had turned bad, and the sweets had been eaten - my husband said that apparently, the thief didn't think the rest of the food were good enough to eat.

I really would rather they don't apply anything on the wound bcos they wouldn't know what my kid could be allergic to.

I guess I was upset also bcos I do have some form of expectations of the school, knowingly and unknowingly. Although I don't expect the teachers to be better in terms of the teaching pedagogies since teachers all hail from the same training ground, I do expect the systems to be better than the average school, simply by the virtue of having existed for close to a century. I wasn't confronted with so many problems when my kid was in her kindy, even when the same issues occurred eg. her falling down. I find myself highly strung bcos of the systems in this school and the way they handle matters. Within these 3 months, I've already spoken to all of my kid's teachers - oh, except her music teacher - bcos of different matters to clarify.

Wen, I bought some small containers from Daiso, mostly from the sushi molds section, nearer to the left hand side if you stand facing the section. They come in different sizes of smallness and depths, with lids, but not suitable for microwaving. I used one of them to contain the spaghetti sauce. If your lunchbox is not too small, they should fit in nicely.
happy.gif

Hi Rains, glad that your girl managed to get back her lunchbox.

Actually, your postings didn't scare me off, in fact they help me to be a better mother. I have been trying to think what should I do if it (the dressing stick on the wound) happens to my daughter. It is possible that she may falls in school one day. At least now I know what to do if that happen. Thanks for sharing.

Another question from me is what should we do if our kids lost their student card (ezlink card)? Anyone?

Hi Wen,
They are made of plastic, but not really transparent, translucent maybe. The containers are usually white in colour. The lids come in different colours - orange, blue, patterned, or plain.

My DD came home telling me that she was wrongly accused of stealing a marble fm her monitress! she got a scolding fm her form teacher. Luckily, my DD DARE to voice out that she did not n the teacher turn to scold the monitress instead.

my DD's classmates and schoolmates fm another class saw this monitoress put her own marble into my DD's schoolbag!!! n she threatened them not to tell the teacher if not she will write their names down everyday!!!

After being scolded by their form teacher, she turned to threaten my DD not to tell ur mom n dad abt it! if ur parent wrote on the dairy(parent communicate with the teacher thru dairy) to the teacher, i will write ur name down everyday!!!

GOSH!!! WHAT is this? I thot Monitor should be a class model n not the BIG BULLY instead!!!

Anyway, i had wrote down on the dairy to tell her teacher abt it. I wouldn't want my girl to be wrongly accused...

i told my DD now u believe what mommy told u on not to take anything which ur fren give. morever, now she puts into ur bag without u knowing... u know how BIG the impact is?? she believes me now!!!

i m so upset abt this n can u imagine how sad n "wei(3)qu(1)" she is, when she told me abt it just nw.. she is nearly in tears but she is strong enough to swallow them!!

Rimilyn,
I don't give my kids multi-vitamins because they eat a balanced diet. The most I give is the Nordic cod liver oil to my son.

My DD FINALLY ride on a 2 wheels bicycle liao.... HOORAY!!! both DH n i r so happy n excited... my DD even called my parent fm upstairs to look down at her.. n she ride for them to c......

HI VQ,
Congrats, your DD has learnt to ride a bicycle already. I'm happy for her. I must teach my son how to do that, but he is still afraid.

VQ that's wonderful...my boy got a long way to go...coz he's the "kia-si" type. Think he is not very good at balancing...he took awhile to learn to use his healys. Now trying to get him to balance on roller blades.

Hi Janet, my daughter is a fussy eater and has poor appetite, that's why I would like to give her some vitamins supplement.

VQ, congrats to you. Your daughter is brave! Mine dare not try if I take out the 2 small balancing wheels. How do you teach your daughter?

Any news from Dorothy and Jess???

Hi,
I have been reading the posts but have nothing much to contribute. I give my kids multi-vitamins ocassionally because I think they sometimes do not take in sufficient quantities of certain food.

My kids also like to ride bicycle but we do not bring them to the park often enough to do so. I myself doesn't know how to ride one as I had a bad scare when I was young learning how to ride.

They also like to play water. My older boy has just learnt how to swim freestyle and has moved on to frog style. This Wednesday afternoon, my younger one, who will be 4 yrs old at the end of the year, will also start to learn swimming together with him. Hopefully, he will listen to the instructor.

hi Dorothy reporting. me also not much to contribute....recently, me source for airticket n lodging for a trip in late may...(after sa, then go). decided to go in may as i dont want to clash with school holidays so my gal will miss school for the last three days of this term.

VQ, congrats!!! wen, my gal also kiasi type... but i'm surprised that she dare to go for inline skate.. now she is in the interm. class.need to get new blade as she outgrown her old ones.

Rains, my gal's ballet exam this wed. now mummy(me) kan cheong leh...
Jesschan, me also trying to "sell" the idea of learning swimming to my gal as my friend moving to condo n she promised to "issue" a VIP card to my gal to access to her place's pool...

let's hope i will succeed.

Thanks for ur congrats!!!

DH n i brought my DD to buy a new 2 wheels bicycle... n started teaching her at the hardcore court near my house... the court is huge n we taught her at a corner.. My DH helps to balance her by following n holding her.... some teenagers who were playing at the court told my DD, "Dont look Down, Look up Straight!!!" Another uncle who was also riding a bicycle told my DD, "Hold the handles tight with ur hands"!!! hahaha......

i asked my DD y she kept on wanting to fall? bcos u stop paddling!!! if u continue to paddle u wont fall!!! i told her to take a deep breath n tell herself ok nvr mind if fall down... i shall try to keep on paddling without stopping for a while... she tried a few times n make it finally!!!

another victim, is my DH cos he follows my DD around... as he is tall n need to bend slightly so he had backache since last wk... hahaha....

My DD also "kiasi" type!!! cos must teach her as yearly when we go back to SGH for her check up, PD will ask her: "hv u manage to ride on a 2 wheels bicycle?" n DD had replied NO for 2 yrs liao... so she is suppose to ride on a 2 wheels when she was 5YO!!! This yr DD finally can answer YES!!! hahaha....

hello mummies,

Rimilyn,
I think nobody has lost the ezlink card yet, so there's no answer to your question yet. But I think don't try la. The process is going to be really troublesome and takes a long time. My kid hasn't even received her card.

VQ,
Thanks for sharing abt the incident your gal went thro. I read it to my kid to let her understand why I forbid her to bring foreign objects home.
Kids are kids. They have yet to learn about the responsibility that comes with the authority. It happens in my kid's class too - monitor being naughty and threatens other kids not to tell. It's a common scene.

Your daughter is very good huh. I've totally forgotten abt getting my kid to learn cycling on two wheels. I find teaching cycling very difficult. It's not like there's a fool-proof method or strategy. I remember being forced to learn cycling under the circumstance where I was threatened not to go home unless I could cycle. So by hook or by crook, I had to figure it out there and then.

Dorothy,
My kid got worried when she heard that there's an "exam" for ballet and she wanted out. I had to assure her a few times that I won't scold her if she doesn't make it for the exam before she agreed to continue with it.

Talking about responsibility and authority reminds me of an incident involving my niece. She was in P1 last year and there was a school bus monitor - a P2 student, who made all the children (all girls) to raise up their hand throughout the entire bus journey. Anyone who put down her hand would get smack and scolded by her. I think her responsibility was to keep the bus clean and she didn't want the girls to eat in the bus. My mom who fetches my niece everyday from the bus thought the girls were very polite and were waving to her, until one day my niece came home crying. Apparently, she didn't raise her hand for some reason and got scolded by the bus monitor. At first, she dared not tell us what happened as she has always been a very timid girl. After much probing by my sister-in-law, she learnt what happened and made a complaint to the school principal. The rest of the story is not unexpected but I am just amazed at what our young children can do in school these days....

Have been checking my boy's work lately and found that they are doing more difficult work now that they have completed basics taught in preschools. For Chinese, they are starting to write more chinese characters and for English, they are focusing more on vocubulary and grammar. Even Maths is getting more complex. I think the "holiday" period is over and they are now progressing much faster....

jesschan, i agreed too. cos now chinese they are learn han zi....

in abt 2-3 week's time, some of them wil be taking their oral test...

btw, sidetrack a bit, me today in super good mood cos tomorrow is HOLIDAY n also i went to rebond my hair yest.... the last round of rebonding was done one year ago... so now, with the new hairdo, super good mood.also my gal's ballet exam over, hahaha...
rains, i have decided to let her continue with ballet.

Hiya, Rimilyn,
My kid has been issued the ezlink card and the teacher informed us of the hassle we need to go thro if the child lose it:
If he/she were to lose the card, he/she has to go to the transit link office at buona vista to make another one, and there will be a fine imposed.
happy.gif

I'm glad that they are moving onto chinese characters. I think it makes more sense to learn the characters, and it's easier too. Each character is like a picture so it's easier to remember, unlike the jumble of letters which only produce sounds.

Rains, thanks for the info for ezlink card.

Like Dorothy, my daughter will be taking oral and reading test in 3 weeks time. My daughter's school doesn't have homework to bring back. It seems to be very "inactive", no homework, no need to finish 40 story books in a year, no CA1 & 2 BUT there are a few donations within 3 months.

Anybody's child is learning swimming now? How long must your child learn before taking the first test? How many test to be taken upon completion?

hi Rimilyn,

My kid is learning swimming but there's no test. It's just for her to learn how to swim.

My kid got back her Chinese spelling book and for the first time in her primary school life, she got 100 marks.
happy.gif
My husband bought her an Enid Blyton as a reward.
He told her he'll buy her one Enid Blyton for every Chinese spelling that gets full marks. She wanted the same for English spelling. He told her for every 10 full marks for English, he'll get her one book.
happy.gif

Actually, I'm clueless abt the CA and SA system in the school. I think they mentioned during the orientation but I have clean forgotten abt them it seems. I start to wonder if they have oral exam or not.

hi, me planning to send my gal for swimming lesson too.... need to look for one already....

about the SA, my gal going to have written expression n EL/CL listening comprehension in 2 week's time!!! me clueless as in how to revise her leh... any suggestion?

Rains, my daughter has swimming lessons for almost a year, but she doesn't go for any test at all
kao_confused2.gif

wow! really envy you. My daughter doesn't know how to read Enid Blyton's book. Bought her 4 books months ago, till now she only read about 10 pages. She claims that she doesn't understand and no colourful pictures! Any advice?

Dorothy, what's written expression?

I think there is a National Survival Swimming Award test that you can take if you want.

I also bought Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree Collection, which is about 500 pages, for my son to read. Initially, he doesn't quite understand the book, so we read together for the first few chapters and now he reads a chapter every other day on his own because he finds it interesting. Before this, he doesn't like to read on his own. (Btw, he was motivated to learn to read in the first place because he wants to play Gameboy Pokemon like his cousin!)

Hi,

It depends on individual, some children learn and pick up skills faster. My ger & gal also took 1 year to learn swimming before going for swimming test. They had completed "800m distance & survival test".

hi Rimilyn,

For reading, I think there's no cause to worry. I myself don't know how my kid acquire the reading skill. It's a strange process. She was just reading simple words and occasionally abit of short sentences. Then all of a sudden, she started to recognise prints and started to read everything, including my apology note from my husband. I told my own sisters that my kid is reading alot suddenly and they accused me of not showing her enough concern, and that's why I didn't know she could read well. But when they listened to her reading, they also got a shock and asked me,"How come all of a sudden, she can read so many words?"

But I do understand how you feel. I was also anxious that my kid was only keen on books with lots of pictures. I think we started by buying her an Enid Blyton book and I went to her trying to tempt her by reading her one of the titles in the book, saying things like "Wow! What's this?". Then I read a bit of the story to her and she got interested. From then on, she wanted to read Enid Blyton. You may want to read together with your kid first to start her off.

Written expression is another term for 'composition'.

Abt swimming, I feel so embarrassed. My kid often skips lessons becos of various reasons - scraped her knee and can't let it immerse in water for long, fall sick (often on Saturdays), raining (often on Saturdays). I told my husband the poor coach wants to earn our forty dollars also difficult.
It's the first time I heard of all these tests for swimming. Goodness, I think my kid will freak out if I put her thro another test. There was a period of time she wanted to give up swimming becos she developed a fear of water due to a fall into the pool. I'm contented that she is able to pick up swimming la. At least she gets a better chance at survival when Singapore goes down under.

Rimilyn,
My son is quite good in phonics and he can read many words but sometimes he can't understand when the words are formed together as a sentence. Even the dictionary doesn't help because he can't understand the dictionary! That's why he doesn't like to read books on his own initially because he cannot understand the story. I think it takes a lot of patience and you may need to read together with your kid as a start.

My son passed me a note from his teacher telling them to come to school in their home/traditional clothes on International Friendship Day but the note never state when is it! Is it tomorrow?

Jess, my daughter's school is celebrating the International Friendship Day today (13/4/2007). Has your younger son started his swimming lesson? Actually both our kid is about the same age. Yours is end Yr2003 and mine is at the beginning of Yr2004.

Eve, may I know how many swimming test your kid suppose to take in order to complete the course? You may PM me if you wish. Thanks!

Rains, my daughter also skips her swimming lesson quite often due to the weather and her health. She can swim but she likes to SWIM and TALK! She will swim with a friend and chat.

Mummies, Thanks for all the advice on reading story books. I started reading with my daughter, she likes it but when I get her to read, she rejected my request. Maybe she's not ready yet. Anyway, I will continue to read with her till she reads to me one day.

HI Rimilyn, my gal cant read well, but as compared to K2. got improvement loh... so cant expect much cos i also dun like to read....

talking about swimming, me got to put word into action...

I just realise that the date stamp on my post is not correct. I posted it yesterday afternoon (Thurs 4pm+) but it is being shown as today (Friday) 8.45am. There is nothing wrong with my PC system date, any idea what's wrong? Anyway, I checked out MOE's website and confirmed that it is being celebrated on the 3rd working Friday of Term 2 - which is today.

Rimilyn
Yes, my younger son just started his first swimming lesson last week. Today is his second lesson, hope it doesn't rain...

Dorothy, my hubby and I like to read but not my daughter. We are not talkative but my daughter is very talkative. My hubby always joke with me that I watched too much Donald Duck cartoon shows when I were pregnant. Don't know why, I like Donald Duck so much before gave birth to her. Sorry side track a bit!

Jess, my computer shows your posting date was yesterday 3.53pm. Why you mention today 8.45am?

My younger son also started his swimming lesson. He needs to hold the swimming board. He keeps crying during the lesson. However, when I mentioned about swimming lesson, he was excited and said he liked it. Frankly speaking, he's not afraid of water but he just wants my hubby's attention. Did yours cry?

Back