MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Hi mummies,

I think kids at this age are still quite forgetful. It is very normal that they will copy instructions wrongly or incompletely. We just have to give them some time to learn and meanwhile try to make smart guesses of what they are trying to copy.

Do your kids' schools give out any recommended reading lists for Chinese? My boy's sch had a book fair last week but I didn't buy anything from it cos' I don't quite find those books suitable and interesting. What they have for P1 & P2 are something like 'bao bao cheng zhang gu shi', 'you er shi zi gu shi', 'yu er ren du tong hua',etc. I think more for kindergarten kids. I am looking more for Chinese story books but couldn't find them.

Any of you buy or borrow any Chinese story books for your kids? What kind do you let them read?

The Maths teacher gave 15 pages of workbook as homework today. I felt so stressed up I screamed at my kid while teaching her as I have work to do myself. I'm so upset - how can you give 15 pages of homework to a kid after nil homework for don't know how many weeks? I really don't see how it can be justified.
I feel so guilty. So many times, I feel so unworthy to be a mother to my kid. I know the negative effects of screaming on a kid, yet I do it. I always feel so inferior whenever I compare myself with another mother.

Hi rains, sorry to hear that but I can understand how you feel and what you are going thru'. Frankly, I screamed at my children too when I got so stressed up and they got on my nerves! I know that it is bad but sometimes we just can't help it as we have our own emotions too. I regret my own reaction after the episode and am learning to control myself, to stay cool now.

Don't worry, just give your girl a hug and explain briefly to her when you cool off. Kids are quite forgetful and forgiving (at least for my kids).

You may wish to voice your unhappiness over the 15 pages of homework to the teacher. I think it is ridiculous and unfair to a child to complete them in such a short notice.

You are a great mum considering all the things that you have done for her like packing bag, helping her with sch wk, etc.etc. Cheer up.

<font color="0077aa">Ladies,</font>
Guess my DD's dairy is the most messy among here!!! i appreciate her teachers had got everyone of them to jot down the neccessary in the dairy BUT my problem is my DD's handwriting!!! They are so messy!!!

<font color="0077aa">Rains,</font>
Same here... everyday, after my DD comes back fm sch my work starts... i check her dairy, homework files, etc... Sign whatsoever her teachers wanted me to sign... yes.. i need to sign alot too!!!

i communicate n feedback with my DD's teacher using her dairy...nw is only begin Mar n i already finished 1 pg liao... i hope her teacher wont find me a nuisance!!!

15 pages of Maths homework to be completed in a day? This is really RIDICULOUS!!!

--> JJB, my daughter's swimming class is at Yishun Public Pool. Her coach is a muslim man.

Her school didn't give her any reading list. As my daughter is very weak in Chinese, usually I buy those books with hanyu pinyin. I prefer books with a few sentences and MUST have picture each page. Occasionally, I will borrow from the library.

By the way, to all mummies, how many books do your kids finish within a week?

--> Wen, how you teach your kid to write story review?

--> Rains, 15 pages of Maths homework is too tiring for a 7 years old kid. Maybe you can talk to her teacher to let your daughter finish them during this school holiday.

--> VQ, you're not alone. My daughter's handwriting also very messy. Instead of write on the line, she can write from the top and cross over the line. Her chinese handwriting is worse. Word with top and bottom part such as xi3 (happy) can become left and right part.

Lastly, anybody know what is Maths manipulative test? According to my daughter's teacher, the pupils suppose to use some manupulative aids to solve the question given verbally!!!

Rains, maybe the 15pages homework is over the school holiday?

Rimilyn, its a simple review i.e. they have to draw a picture related to the book and write a sentence about the picture.

not sure what is maths manipulative test ;p

My son has his swimming lesson at our condo's swimming pool, on a one-to-one basis. But I will include my younger son later. It is more expensive but very convenient and I can easily postpone the lesson if we have other engagements or when my son is sick.

For English, my son's school bought a whole set of Houghton Mifflin readers and the children are required to read them in class. At home, he reads Enid Blyton's books and the Sunshine Series of Science books passed down by his cousin. He doesn't read many Chinese story books because I have to read with him as he doesn't recognise many Chinese characters.

Not sure what is a maths manipulatives test but I do know that they use concrete objects to teach maths and my son said they have a Maths Room in school.

Hi mummies,
I spoke to the Maths teacher and voiced my concern over quite a few things, including the 15 pages of workbook. She didn't explain much except that some children cannot finish work in school so they are allowed to bring home and do, and that it's actually similar concept to a previous concept. I told her I find it stressful even for me who is coaching, and she said the kids can take a few days to complete them. My husband and I find it strange tho - does it mean that the kids set their own deadline then? The next day, my kid brought home another 15 pages of maths workbook as homework. Oh well.

JJB,
My kid's school gives a list of books to be read to the kids too. However, 30 books for Chinese are required, and 15 of them are compulsory items. Out of these 15, 10 are the supplementary books that are in the school booklist. The kids are required to do a simple book review after reading every 10 books. The school is not so compelling when it comes to English tho. They only have a recommended list on their website, but no need to fill in any reading log like they need to for Chinese.

Rimilyn,
If I'm not mistaken, a Maths manipulative test is like what that's been described - using concrete objects to help them to complete a test eg. there're certain things that you can get answers for only when you use cubes to help you.

Mummies,
I recently realised how important friends are after the incident with the two bitches. I used to think that friends are dispensable and that they are a want. Now then do I realise they are a need. I wouldn't have been able to go thro such hell without moral support from my friends.

Rains

When I was a full time working mother, my life is just work and family and I had very little time to catch up with old friends. Then, when I quit to be a SAHM, I suddenly realise that I have lost contact with a lot of friends. So now I make an effort to keep in touch with ex-colleagues and working partners on a regular basis. And luckily I stumped upon this portal and make some new friends.... My advice to all WAHM here is to continue to maintain contact with your friends no matter how busy you are before you lose all their contacts.

hi mummies, anyone here whose kid had CA? can share experience...

i thought that this one week holiday, i will to give my gal a good rest. i have just went thr the bag n files.. she got 8 pages of chinese homework (from hao peng you), 4 math worksheet, 2 english worksheets, 2 book review!

my gal was given a booklet called the book challenge to record her book review..(simple one like what wen mentioned)

mumies, any chinese storybok to recommend?

<font color="0077aa">Dorothy,</font>
ME! ME! ME!!!

my DD had her CA1 last week... i had seen all her papers.. Maths 1 careless mistake!!! others full marks...

share experience? i feel i m as if like a "kan cheong" spider last week lor!!! after she came back fm sch in the evening, quickly chased her to bathe, eat, rest n revise.... next moring also revise n go to sch.... i think my DD is more relax cos she does not know the importance of it yet! but i m worried.... u all understand...

DD told me those who fail any of the subjects, hv to get their parents to the school tomorrow.. i told her lucky u pass, u know mommy very busy, no time to c ur teacher!! hahha...

--> VQ, congratulations! Any rewards for your daughter?

Today is the last day of term 1, but my daughter never bring back any homework or workbook to show me. Her school doesn't has any CA or topical test too. So, I really don't know how's her studies. Maybe should get her some assessment books to try. Hope it's not to late.

--> VQ, what are the topic covered in your daughter's English paper? Is it Vocab and Grammar or something else?

-->Dorothy, currently, I'm encouraging my daughter to read BAO BAO SHUI QIAN SHI FEN ZHONG series. There are 10 books per set and 3-5 stories in each book. It has hanyu pinyin, pictures, a question and a ER GE for the children. As my daughter is very weak in Chinese, I get her to read one story a day. Oh yes, you can get them from the library. If not, you may get from Popular Bookstore for $2.60 each.

O wow ... I think mine won't have any CA or SA until the next sem. I always thought that it's abit too early for kids to have CA just 8 or 9 weeks into their new life.

My husband was tellling me that he feels that my kid has too many activities. He's the sort who doesn't believe in enrichment activities except for academic purposes. I thought this kind of man only existed in my father's time. But I'm adamant about letting my kid take part in kinaesthetic and aesthetic activities. My rationale is: if I don't let her join now, then when? I think the chances of me letting her join when she's P3, P4, P5 or P6 is even slimmer then. Perhaps by then she'll need to pick something that she really likes to concentrate on.

I'm quite worried that she likes drawing. I used to draw alot, and being young, I didn't know how to set priority. As a result, my studies suffered. I'm so worried that she'll follow my footsteps. Secondly, I feel there isn't a real artschool around in Singapore (anyway, what's a 'real' artschool?). I've been to one centre and they teach children to draw in a stereotypical manner for every item. I'm not sure if this is good for the kids. Sure, the pictures look aesthetic to common people, but does it have a character of its own? Will my kid degenerate into drawing mass-produced images? Will my kid grow up wanting to do art? I think that's my greatest nightmare. My friends who are gifted in this area have not become local artists. I myself feel like vomitting blood when I face kids who hate art. I feel that art is like literature. You can have alot of passion for it, but it may just give you frustration and disillusionment. Another thing I'm worried about is art people tend to be more introverted, intrapersonal, individualistic, pessimistic and perfectionistic. All these don't help you to handle nasty people in real life, neither do they help you gel with others. Since her first day of birth, I told myself she's going to be everything I'm not. But as she grows up, I'm starting to feel that she's more and more like me, much as I don't want it. I'm so worried. Really worried. Is there a mummy here like me who worries that your kid might like something you don't want him or her to touch? Is there any mummy who sends your kid to an art class? Do share.

Let her be for the moment... But must let her know that her priorty now as a 6YO going to 7YO Child, is to study hard. Like old ppl alway say, before u do whatsoever u want to do, get ur cert. first...

maybe enrichment class, just focus on her academic first, rather than other uneccessary...

<font color="0077aa">Rimliyn,</font>
i go c my DD's paper later then let u all know abt the topic of her CA.

Talk abt rewards? did u ladies watch the talkshow host by Jack Neo few days ago? i miss the front but think that the show is good. talk abt rewards, i think cos i miss the front dont know the actual topic...

my DH will be flying again next week. c how? c whether he call us to meet him somewhere or not? i hope he does!!!

I think different parents have different worries. Rains' concern about her girl liking arts too much. Whereas for me, my son doesn't seem to have special passion on anything. We let him learn piano and he is doing very well, ask him to play golf and he does it well too. Academic aspects also not bad, full marks for tests and spelling except 2 careless mistakes for maths test. But my concern is he is just doing what we ask him to do with a lot of 'push' from us and not self motivated to do well! You get what I mean, I hv seen some kids who are avid readers or hv passion for music or certain sports, but not my boy.

I think as parent I will just guide along now and hopefully as he grows older and more mature will find his own interests.

--> Sorry VQ, I only watch Channel U 11pm news at night. So I know nothing about that talkshow. Maybe you can share with me the part that you watched?

As for rewards to my kids, usually are kisses and hugs or praises from both my husband and I. This may mean nothing to some people but it definitely mean a lot to us.

I agreed with JJB that as parent we just guide along our young ones till the right time.

Hey! where are Wen, Dorothy and Jess? How come no posting from them today? Holiday mood already????

Rimilyn, dorothy reporting... HEE HEE

had a long day, kanna arrow to do roadshow...(VQ knows why!! hee hee) then went to watch FINDNG NEMO(blessed by someone) so just came back...

Rains, my gal loves to draw too n also does handicraft.. her drawing very nice, with story -based(sorry, dont mean to praise my own child, but i using my own drawing to compare with her) so i sent her for drawing lesson(enrichment under her pre-school), after one term, my gal told me she dont want already cos according to her, her teacher will have a topics n things that she want to class to do.
as for my gal, she is someone who draw according to her mood n her thinking. so we decided to drop her out as my husband said this will kill her creatively..so what i bought her some drawing book to "teach" her how to draw. for example, art attack( name of a book, they also have similar program in disney)

VQ, i have watched that program b4. but hor, i think school talk show is veri "orderly" n "restricted".

Rimilyn, thanks for your recommendation on chinese book. but hor, i dun know how to pin...

Mummies, planning outing?

<font color="0077aa">Dorothy,</font>
i dont think this is a sch talkshow... he invited both parents n children to his show.... i nvr c e front so i cant tell u all much.. will try to follow next wk...

Aiyah, busy lah, school holiday means less time for SAHM like me because the children are around all the time. So I think next week even less time to post any entry...

My son has no homework for the entire week, his teacher merely ask them to revise the entire spelling list for the 1st term... not sure whether there is any revision spelling test or not. He also hardly ever bring back homework, only need to sign weekly Chinese and English Spelling plus weekly Maths Topical Test Papers. So far he scored full marks for almost all the spelling tests. For Maths, it is is usually 1 or 2 careless mistakes, only one time full marks out of 5 tests.

He is never bothered at all about his school work and I often have to remind him to do this and that... sigh. I am thinking of sending him for Chinese enrichment class next term. Now it is no problem to him because everything is in hanyu pinyin which he already knows but later on he may have difficulties when they have to compose complete sentences. Anyone has any recommendation on Chinese Enrichment Class for P1?

went out for dinner with my friends on friday and yesterday out whole day so did not access PC. my DH and DS drooling over Playstation 3 so we went Funan to buy.

Jess...dor, VQ and I send our kids to berries so you may want to check it out.

received note from his school about modular approach to chinese curriculum. the kids will be grouped according to their chinese skills by end of term 2 or beginning term 3. my boy is not very pro chinese...coz we are generally english speaking family.

i have a colleague who is pretty good in chinese and she says she even learn history behind the strokes of each character. i'm trying to think how to make him more interested in chinese language.

so far my boy is quite discipline when it comes to homework...but he is very slack about learning spelling. i have to keep reminding him.

for most tests, he is usually 1 or 2 points short of full marks but we are ok with it. i'll just point out where his mistakes are to him so he will learn from there.

<font color="0077aa">Jess,</font>
Yes.. i send my DD to Berries n she LOVES it!!! i sent her there last yr when she's K2.. she told me she wanna go Berries FOREVER!!!!

use to send her to MRC woodgrove but she do not seems to hv any improvements n she always cry b4 the lesson. I was very reluctant when i send her for trial lesson in Berries... i m afraid same thing happen.... but she came out telling me that she LOVES Berries!!!!

i understand as the first impression n feeling is very good, when u step inside this sch.... The teachers r friendly n they remember every childrens' name!!

i m glad my DD finally found her LOVE sch for Chinese class.. if not HEADACHE!!!!

<font color="0077aa">Jess,</font> if u ever enrol into Berries. do get Wen's DS registration no for recommendation... cos Wen recommend to u first!!! i hv done that too!!!

Hello mummies,
I've sent my kid back to my mother's place as I badly needed a break from her. I'm not sure why but she's becoming more and more clingy. She didn't use to be so. I don't know what has happened, but now she wants me to sit right beside her to watch her do her homework, learn her spelling, and when I let her sit nearby, say at the dining table while I sit at the sofa which is a few metres away, she starts to cry and says,"I want mummy ... I want mummy ...". She has grown to be quite a baby. I couldn't do a thing with her around. I find it very stressful coupled with the stress I face at work, and the assignments that I need to do. I start to scream at her on a regular basis and feeling lousy afterward. I decided to let her go to my mother's place so other adults can keep her company and she's not so clingy when she's with them.

Hey, actually, someone is missing - Janet.

VQ/Wen,
Thanks. I heard good comments about Berries as well. Do you have any idea what time slots do they have and how much is the course fee? I prefer to do it on weekend morning because I am worried that my boy will feel tired and can't concentrate on weekdays after a long day in school.

Jess, you can call them up to enquire...as what VQ says, the staff are really friendly.

Currently my boy is attending Saturday 8.45am to 10.30am. i think Dor's and VQ's DDs also attend same timing although we are all at different branches. no need to bother with the recommendation lah...VQ is just being nice ;)

Rains, you could explain to your girl about you having "homework" that needs to be handed up too. But i guess kids just want our full attention so you may have to allocate some time.

my boy is happy when i sit next to him while he does his work...but i tell him i can't do that all the time coz i have my own stuff to do and he understands.

you are right...janet seems missing ;p

Hi Ladies,
Glad to know you miss me.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Don't have anything to contribute, that's why I just read your posts.

My son had his first parent-teacher meeting last week. His Chinese teacher said he has to read/watch more chinese books/shows. Also have to speak to him more. As for English/Maths, he's ok. Thank goodness.

<font color="0077aa">Janet,</font>
Parent-Teacher meeting? so fast? i will get to meet the teacher only in end Aug!

<font color="0077aa">Rimilyn & other ladies,</font>
topics covered in my DD's CA1:

English
1) Spelling (list provided by sch)
2) Phonics(Reading of 3-letter(CVC) words
3) Vocabulary/ Punctuation (according to worksheets by sch)

Maths
1) Addition within 10
2) Subtraction within 10

Chinese
1) hanyupinyin
2) yun mu
3) sheng mu

u r indeed very stress out... so stress that u send ur DD for a while...

u hv choose a right choice.. take that time to destress yourself n cool down...

hw abt trying to get her to sit at the same table with u to do homework together with her?

how r u nw?

hi VQ,
Thanks for your concern. I'm not so tensed up when she's not around I guess. I managed to get an assignment done yesterday. I aim to get at least 3 assignments done by Wed or Thur so that I can spend some playtime with her.
Just curious - what's Reading of 3-letter (CVC) words?
happy.gif

Hi VQ,
Yes, he had his 1st parent-teacher meeting last Thur.

There are 2 Math textbooks (My Pals are Here/Shaping Maths) in Pei Hwa for P1. Next yr there will be 3. His teacher told me it's top-down decision in the school. No CA in P1 but got SA in May.

Mummies,
I'm so stressed with my son in afternoon session. Last 3 years, he was in morning session in kindergarten. I could go to the loo after he goes to school. Now with him at home, I'm literally constipated.

<font color="0077aa">Ladies,</font>
frankly speaking, i myself do not understand what is CVC too???

tomorrow i asked my DD whether she knows or check her papers... sorry...

Hi ladies,

Don't mind me kaypohing...

In phonics, CVC = Consonant Vowel Consonant
e.g cat, pen, big

In the word "CAT", C & T are consonants while A is the vowel.

Rains

I think you have done the right thing to send your kid away to give yourself a break. We all need to do that sometimes. I am also giving myself a break this Friday. In fact I am sending both my boys off to my MIL's place on Thursday evening to stay overnight. Will bring them back on Friday night after dinner. I try to do this once every 2 - 3 months.

Btw, I don't have plans for Friday afternoon yet. Anybody game to meet up for coffee - without the kids?

HI Mummies, i thought of sending my gal for english enrichment leh.... any suggestion of centre?
cos i veri tired coaching her...

Eeeks! i just realised I have an eye bag under my right eye...anyone got tips on how to reduce it?

Hi Wen,
When I first discovered an eyebag (which happened a few years ago), I tried out a few remedies which include: placing a pre-refrigerated metal spoon on the eyebag, placing a used teabag on the eyebag, sticking some eyebag patches on the eyebag.
However, they didn't seem to work. So now I heckcare la.

Thanks Serenade, I believe most of the mothers here have benefitted from your explanation.
happy.gif

Now I know there's a CVC formation.

Hey VQ,
I remember you mentioning some thermal bags from Daiso. I went there yesterday but can't seem to find them. Do you mind sharing which section you find them under and how they look like?

I've benefitted alot from all this discussion, the lunchbox ideas in particular. Dorothy, I thought it was a neat (literally) idea to put those little gadgets for making lunchboxes in a big box.
happy.gif

rains, thanks for your praises!!!

for me, no choice, got to dump everything there cos my lunchbox is usually prepared early in the morning...

times flies!! today is the end of holiday...

mummies, need your advice.

my gal keep coming back(from her student care) n tell me she need to brush up her eng n chinese.

my intention is to enrol her either in lorna whiston or british council. but both of wait list.

do u think i should get a tutor? but i dont wan her to be so stress out.

we went out yest night, reached home at 9plus. she requested me to revise w her... told her tomorrow as i think she is doing fine. she insisted. so we read a book instead.

any advice?

rains, today i was at IMM Daiso and came across thermal bags of several sizes at the Food section...you can look there if you haven't found them already.

dor, i think it's good if your gal is automatic about her revision...i would be happy if my boy does that every day ;)

my good friend sends her kids (who are in the GEP) to Morris Allen and Learning Lab (you should be familiar ya?) for english enrichment.

Dorothy, personally I prefer a tutor than attending enrichment classes.

Since you can afford to send your daughter to Lorna Whiston or British Council, why don't you get a good tutor to guide your daughter, 1 to 1 and no need to travel.

TO ALL MUMMIES..... Recently, my daughter keep on falls sick (flu and cough with lots of phlegm). Since she got a lung infection on May 2006, she tends to falls sick every 2 months. Each time she will need about 2 weeks to recover. PD said she got a sensitive airway. It's very heartache to see her falls sick so often. Please help!!

Thanks, Wen,
I'll try the Food section the next time I go there again.

Dorothy,
I would be more than happy if my kid asks me to help her with revision on her own accord. For me, I feel that a class would be more enjoyable for kids. I had friends who went brit council, but they didn't think it was very effective. Or maybe it's bcos they were already adults.

Rimilyn,
Sorry to hear abt your gal's condition. I'm not sure what a lung infection is, so I can't give any good advice. Have you tried giving her stuff like codfish liver oil? Heard that it boosts the immune system. Whenever my kid has cough, phlegm or sore throat, I give her pi pa gao. So far it works for us (yes, me too). My kid has a narrow airway. I'm not sure if it's similar. She was an asthmatic child, but she seems to be growing out of it as she hasn't been having a relapse for at least 9 months already. I thought perhaps your child might grow out of the sensitive airway thing as she grows up. You might want to take special care of the surrounding so that she doesn't come in contact with furry stuff as these things hide dust mite which triggers cough or reactive airway.

Dorothy,
How I wish my son can also be more proactive with his revision. I also agree with Rains that it is more enjoyable to learn in a group compared to private tuition.

Rimilyn
My boy has similar problems - sensitive airway and allergic rhinitis. The PD put him on nasal spray and Zrytec for about half a year and now the frequency of him getting flu and cough has reduced greatly. The nasal spray is for post-nasal drip and Zrytec is for allergies. I have since reduce the medication to once every alternate day as I was worried about the long term effects of the medication. But I consulted 2 other doctors and they assured me that it is ok to take them, in fact one of the doctor himself is on nasal spray for 16 years already.

Wen/VQ
I sent my son to Berries' trial class last Sat and he indeed enjoy the class. Even my younger son became interested and requested to attend the N2 class this coming week! Thanks. So what is the student registration no. that I should quote when I register him officially next Sat?

Mummies
I sent my son for Positive Kidz program at Genius R Us last week and he enjoyed it very much. He was being taught basic yoga, NLP and mini mind mapping through fun and play. Now he knows that he has to say positive things to himself and stay positive!

Hi Rains, my daughter got pneumonia last year, eventhough 2 GP and 1 PD clarrified that her sensitive airway is not the side effect after pnuemonia, but I don't agreed with them. The GP also said my daughter may grow out of it as she grows up. BUT it's very heartache to see her suffer you know. She's sick again!

Any mummies can advise me which kid's multi-vitamin is good? Thanks!

mummies, yes. i was veri shock when my gal came back n asked me fr revision. i mean at this age... yesterday, she asked me how come she got no spelling list.

her chinese teacher told me that she will go up to her(chinese tacher) to ask whether she got improved. but i think too much of it can be scary...
personally, i think i prefer to put her in a classroom environment than to have a personal tutor. also NIE teachers' rate veri high leh. $25 per hour.

Jesschan, welcome to the berries family....can share the website for Positive Kidz program?

Back