MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

VQ,
Thanks for sharing! O wow, it's a very refreshing idea. I think my kid will be very proud if I ever make something like this. But jesschan is right. My kid has to get up at 5am. I don't see how I can wake up at 4 or 4.30am to make all these. But they are really very nice. I'll try to get those moulds first.

Haha, I had meant to ask "What's in the bear-shape container?" Instead, in my excitement, I asked,"What's in the bread?"

But do you mean you make all these things in such small portion? Wouldn't it waste the ingredients? Eg spaghetti - I'm sure you don't just cook those few strands right? Or do you?

Your daughter is so emotional and sentimental. Must take photo with washing machine somemore. So cute. Sounds so fragile and girly
happy.gif

hi Dorothy,
Why don't you try emailing? If you don't have the email add, then get it from the teacher first. It's difficult to get teachers to call back bcos the one who picked up your call probably forgot to tell the teacher, unless you had asked for the name of the person who answered the call. Either that or the teacher was informed but forgot abt it.

<font color="aa00aa">Rains,</font>

Yes... for spaghetti, i cook only 5 strips.. hahaha....

today, no wasting of food at all.. i cook small portion... n my DD finished all of them... wipe up clean!!! she told me: Very Nice n YUMMY!!! al her friends go: WOWWWW!!! when she opened the lunchbox... she told me she wants to hv it again next wk....

ok at least my efforts is not wasted...

that's a very cute lunch box..amazing..don't think i will be able to put in the effort to do this.

wow so many posts..for me can't post during day time cos working. anyway, to update my dd seems alright now..apparently the teacher did call up the naughty's boy's parents to talk to them as he's generally mischevious..

VQ, my gal saw!!!

i got to go kino to look for bento ideas....

stress!!!

rains, i guess i just wait or call when i free....

btw, my gal starting her inline skate class this fri.... hahaha....

me looking forward to whole family skating....

Dear all mummies,
No point calling school asking for teacher or leaving msg, cos half of the time message will be lost.

Best to write a little note/message with your email address &amp; telelphone number &amp; child's name/class. Get your child to deliver to teacher. And include your request for the teacher's email address for future correspondence. But when emailing teacher, dun expect immediate or same day reponse. They usually hv to reponse to abt 50-80 admin emails each day besides teaching &amp; preparing lesson &amp; marking papers.

<font color="aa00aa">Dorothy,</font>
how come ur DD saw leh???

yes!! i myself was at ngee ann city kino last few days, for nearly a whole day!!! i went there during off-peak hrs.... i nearly regretted not bringing a chair...hahha...

ur DD learn inline-skate fm sch?? so nice... my DD is also interested in this...

<font color="aa00aa">kook_car,</font>
thanks for ur advise of leaving notes for teachers! i take note!

VQ, i was trying to "study" your bento...

then she saw.
sad.gif
. she asked me where to buy. asked me to buy for her.. told her my friend made for her gal.. so now she asked me already...

btw, i came across this website www.bentocorner.com..

can "steal" idea!!!

ya, her inline skate is from school one. $40 for 5 lessons n include all the rental as well...

hi jess,
Yes, it's very far from my place. The schoolbus comes to pick her up at 5.40am and she'll reach school by 7am. It's in an area where it's infamous for traffic jam in the morning, so schoolbus has to be there by 7am.

<font color="aa00aa">Ladies,</font>
my DD is going to have her very FIRST MATHS Test on this coming thurs!!! CA1!!! i m confident with her maths but still need some revising!!! BUT how to revise huh?

any idea when is yours?

My kid won't have CA1 and SA1. The CA2 will come in Term 3. Not my turn to worry yet.
happy.gif

CA1 falls on week 6? Quite early I thought. Never thought of doing 'revision' leh. I suppose you can give her some Maths to do, based on what she has learnt so far, like 2 or 3 sums per topic. I think for kids at this stage - in general, they're more likely to be careless although they know how to do the sums. But then again, carelessness is not something we can teach.

My son will not have any major tests for the first semester but they do have weekly Maths Quiz besides the weekly Spelling and TingXie. I just let him do some assessment as a revision after every chapter is taught in school.

Rains,

Did you choose the school by choice? It must be quite tiring for your kid when he comes back from school in the afternoon. Is it possible to change the school bus? My friend also puts her kid in a very far away school but luckily the school bus sends only students from the far away places and the journey took only about 30 min via expressway.

hi jess,
Yes, after some deliberation, we decided to place her there. Jess, my kid is a girl la. You keep saying "he". :p
O yes, she will take a nap every day after she comes home from school. The school ends at 1.30pm and she reaches home at 2.30pm every day. But my kid sleeps very late - like 12am, so I think that contributes to her fatigue too.
There's only 1 schoolbus for each cluster of districts, so can't change. But apparently, it does take about 30 - 45 mins to get to my kid's school even if we drive there ourselves.
Sometimes my husband and I would talk about moving house after a few years so that it'll be nearer to my kid's school, but that'll mean moving to Clementi, the nearest flat estate. I heard that flats there are very expensive, and I don't fancy 'old' places. I'd always lived in the east. Moving to the north is already a big leap to me. I would want to move to the east if we ever have to shift.

Hi Rains,

Oops, I didn't know your kid is a girl... too many exchanges amongst the mummies and I lost track. Sorry.

If her lessons end at 1.30pm, her school probably starts at 8am but have to be there by 7.40am for silent reading, like my son? I have seen other people hiring a regular cab instead of using the school bus in similar situation. Would you consider that?

I think you should reduce her nap time in the day slowly and adjust her sleeping time at night to 9am. That way, at least she has about 7-8 hours of sleep at night.

My son sleeps by 10pm at night, wakes up at 6.30am in the morning and he doesn't take afternoon naps. Initially, he also felt tired in the morning but now he has gotten used to it. In fact he also wakes up at about 6.30-7am on weekends now!

Thanks, jess, for your suggestion.
We've tried to make her sleep early to no avail. She gets very agitated every time we wake her up from her nap. I'll continue to try. I think it's a habit that she builds up when she was living with my parents. She's very used to sleeping very late since a baby.
I haven't heard of hiring regular cab. Is there a cab company that provides such a service? But I reckon it'll be very expensive since it's a cab.

Rains,

Just a wild thought.... presumably, it will be about 4pm after she takes a shower and has her lunch? Why not you try bringing her out after that on a Friday and keep her awake till 9pm before sending her to bed? She can't take a nap if she is not at home right? Continue sending her to bed at about 9pm for the weekend and see if you can kick her afternoon nap habit.

I also don't encourage my son to sleep late on Friday and Saturday nights because it is more disruptive as he will wake up late on Sunday morning and then can't get to sleep early on Sunday night - it's just a vicious cycle.

Thanks, jess,
I've been trying to get her to sleep at 11pm, but it's still a challenge. I thought I could let her sleep late on weekends so we don't need to engage in a tug-of-war like we do on weekdays. She always needs me to sleep with her but I can't sleep so early as I've work to do. And I can only do my work when she's asleep. But when I'm with her, she doesn't sleep until I fall asleep, which is often one or two hours later. It's such a struggle. I'll try to turn her in early every day then. I hope it really works.
Talking abt sleep, I often have insomnia. So I sleep really late, like 2am if I'm lucky. Not exactly a role model.
Where's your kid studying, if you don't mind? Or pm me if it's better that way.

hi rains,

I've exactly the same problem as you. my daughter refuses to sleep unless I lie down beside her and will only sleep until I fall asleep. (a habit since young). Plus I've work and other stuff to do and can't afford to sleep so early as her.

Now training her to fall asleep by herself by explaining that I got stuff to do, and because of school. She MUST lie in bed even if she wants to wait for me to finish up my work. and hopefully she falls asleep while waiting!

<font color="ff6000">Hi Rains,</font>
The sleep late habit might be hard to kick, but it's good for her in the long run. It'll strain her immune system if this goes on.

Sleep is a daily rest thingy. Sleeping late on weekends doesn't make up for the insufficient sleep on wkdays.

For yourself, would you like to explore enzyme therapy for better sleep? I'm understudying with an Enzyme Therapist and I know she has helped clients with insomnia.

belladona,
haha, that's right. That's exactly what happens between my kid and me every night. But it's starting to lose its effect becos she's beginning to come out to look for me each time she's been lying down for too long. Sometimes she does fall asleep while waiting but it doesn't happen very often.

kook_car,
Enzyme therapy sounds interesting. What's it about? Enzyme - that sounds like yeast and chemistry stuff to me.
Oh I didn't know that a lack of sleep can have an adverse effect on the immune system. No wonder I had low immunity a couple of months back - had some really stubborn cold and other persistent sicknesses. Sometimes I take sleeping pills in order to go to bed, but I think it's losing effect too. The last time I took it, I still had trouble getting to sleep.

So sorry to monopolise the thread for my sleeping disorder. Feel free to talk about other things, mummies, esp our kids' stuff. I would love to know the going-ons.

Rains, try to find out what is the cause for your insomnia, could it be too stressful??

I used to have insomnia too. For me, doing housework at night make me awake. I can clean the whole house from 9pm to 3-4am the next morning and still feel fresh. My body so used to this routine and I don't take nap in the afternoon. I don't feel anything wrong until I admitted to the hospital. Five days in hospital, give me plenty of time to think about my health and my life style. Since then, I decided to change my life style and my problem solved.

What I'm trying to tell you is I think you're too stressful with life. Spend a bit of time to take a break each day.

Jess, my daughter in morning session too. Mine wake up 5.30am, reach home at 2pm, usually take a nap from 3.15pm to 7.00pm then wake up for dinner. About 8.30pm, she will spend some time with her daddy and go to bed at 9.30pm. I wish my daughter can spend about half an hour on study but I don't know how to plan it. Can you give me some advice? Daytime she's tired, night time she wants to spend time with her daddy!!

<font color="ff6000">Rimilyn & Rains</font>

Our body will sent us signals, but many time we ignore the signals. Persistent & recurring colds, fatigue, soreness, inflammation etc are some signs our body is warning us. But if we choose not ot listen to it, it'll give up telling us.

Enzyme are protein molecules in our body, that acts as catalyst. Digestive enzyme is to break down food during the digestive process so that intestine is able to absorb it and our body can use it. ANother type of enzymes which drive the processes of living are called "metabolic enzymes." Everyone has a enzyme potential, like a bank account. When all depleted, basically youjust drop dead. And if you use alot for digestive purpose, you'll affect your body's repair & metabolic needs.

<font color="ff6000">rains</font>
Can I PM you abt the Enzyme Therapist? I'm concern that even sleeping pills are not taking effect on you. You might be developing drug immunity liao.

<font color="ff6000">Rimilyn</font>
Can you work with your hubby to incorporate study into her "daddy time"? Term 1&2 might be lighter, but Term3&4 is going to get tougher. Better to start planning studying routine with her to get her used to it.

Also, her naptime seemed too long. An hour of rest is good. Your feedback of her tiredness in the day, my guess is her body is not getting enough oxygen & blood not circulating well. What she needs is not rest but exercise. Suggest start with something light & fun like skipping rope or dancing to the music.

Rimilyn,

Kook Car is right. I think it is best to reduce her nap time to an hour or wean off completely and incorporate study time gradually. Maybe you can start with 15 min and slowly lengthen it.

Talking about bullies in school, we should encourage our children to talk to us about what happens in school and don't simply scold them for every little thing that they did wrong. I think the current 7pm Channel 8 drama is a good show to watch with our children.

kook car, thanks for the articles on bullies... veri informative...

btw, does any of your kids got this problem with forgetting their things.

my gal having being leaving behind her books/file in school without bringing them home since last thurs...for example, on thurs, she forgotten abt her files. fri, she brought the files, but left behind her spelling list. on mon, she left her fo xue workbook n yesterday, she cant find them n called her father during recess time to cry...

i have given her $$ to buy the workbook as i heartpain to see her so stress. cos on mon, she asked me for $$ to but n i refused(cos i think that is a easy way out)

btw, rains, if next time, u cant sleep, call me to chit chat lah... so i also night owl...
VQ knows why....
happy.gif

Jesschan, i will love to watch the 7pm show but my gal just came back from school so will have to rush her for bathe/dinner.

kook_car,
Thanks for all the information. You've been most informative. Do pm me the contact, in case I really need it.
happy.gif

Rimilyn
As a high-anxiety person, I get stressed quite easily. A worry wart. Always thinking about things not done. Friends and husband ask me to "stop thinking" but I really don't know how not to think. Even when I sleep, I dream alot. My husband says he hasn't heard of a person who dreams every day.

dorothy,
I think it's common for kids to forget their stuff, but my kid kinda knows she's supposed to explain to the teacher herself if she ever forgets. But most of the time, I pack her bag for her so she doesn't leave things out. Yes, I can understand the dilemma you are in - want to discipline her yet can't bear to see her stressed.
I think it'll be worse if I chit chat. I'll only get more energetic.
happy.gif

Just to share with you mummies:
The other day, I insisted my kid to go sleep. She cried,"I'm hungry." I told her she's had her dinner, so cannot have anymore food. This is so that she'll learn her lesson of not finishing her dinner despite warning earlier on.
I asked my husband to go make bread for her 'secretly' and tell her that 'mummy doesn't know'.
My husband was happy that he could play the good guy. He went to make the bread and brought it to my kid.
After a while, he came out to the living room and said,"Are the two of you making a fool out of me? One asked me to make bread. The other refused to eat bcos she's scared that mummy will scold her."

<font color="ff6000">dorothy</font>
Very normal. ALOT of kids are like that. Guess we just hv to harden our heart and let them learn the consequence.

My boy used to forget to bring homework to hand in. He tried calling me during recess time to bring to school but I refuse. He ever lost his school file, and he has to buy from his piggybank. Well, they just hv to learn lor.

He packs his sch bag himself, but I'll spot check as & when. When I see that all is in order I'll compliment. Otherwise, I'll hint "do you wish to re-pack again before I start nagging?"

You're probably like my MIL, she worried herself very badly too. Personally I think she is suffering from mild depression. I brought her to see the Enzyme Therapist and she was shocked at the amt of toxin and crystals in her blood sample. The Enzyme Therapist convinced her that when she worries too much her body will be stressed and toxin retain in the blood. Hee hee ... my "shock therapy" worked and after that session, she signed up for dancing @ CC 3 times/wk. Now at least she has something to look forward to & worry less.

Hi Mummies,
It's been a while since the thread is active.
happy.gif

I got a feeling that chicken pox is coming around. My kid got a classmate who got it. I am just wondering if any of you mummies got your child vaccinated against it? I haven't done it yet. I don't know if it's good or not - to stop chicken pox from coming out. Then have to make sure that the child doesn't have the virus inside her body if you want her to be vaccinated. How to make sure? Mummies, do you think it's good to go for the vaccination? I've struggled with this decision for years.

Thanks, kook_car,
I know it's for my own good that I don't worry. But I'm just such an unrepentant worry wart. I would worry if everything looks fine. You know what they say about peace before the storm. I know I'm crazy. Got toxins in my body also good. Can die early.
happy.gif

i didn't send my boy for vaccination...mainly coz i'm lazy. anyway he got it from his classmate couple years back...so i guess that settles it.

most of my friends will vaccinate their girls to prevent scars from chicken pox. personally i feel it will be rather disruptive if our kids get chicken pox after starting primary school coz they will miss 2 weeks of classes so vaccination should be considered.

his school having CNY celebration coming friday and the entire school will function in one session i.e. morning 7.15am to 1pm. we decided we'll fetch him to school on that day coz can't imagine how early the school bus will be.

i yet to send my gal for vaccination... still thinking of when to do so... cos if she kenna, maybe i will kenna too... then can have 2 weeks of bonding time... haha...

veri busy recently, with all the spring cleaning... i think i am about to enter into a cold... cos my hse veri veri dusty....
sad.gif

wen, my gal next friday also 7.20am to 12.50pm... so i will be on half day leave to fetch her... not planning to send her to student care.

hehe...dor, the last time when my boy kenna i also got it from him. but he oredi return to school liao so i was at home alone.

i thought of half day too but i think will be very rush for me as it takes more than an hour by public transport to get home from my workplace...so i took full day leave. anyway i can take opportunity to finish CNY cleaning.

I also thought of getting my children vaccinated but kept procrastinating...

Not sure whether my son's school has CNY celebrations or not, he said his teachers never said anything but they have been taught to sing CNY songs.

Aiyo!! how can you be so negative ... die early, kid how?

I always think that if we can just drop dead is best. But most of the time, we dont die this way. Our health will slowly deteriote, with body aches & pains & sufferings. And if kana stroke @ brain or heart attack or left half paralysed, we'll bring on more burden for the ones we love.

Live well for yourself and your loved ones. You deserve it.

<font color="ff0000">chicken pox</font> ... better vaccine lah. I kana during university exam. End up all the mths of hardwork down the drain. Gotto re-do 4 papers and the other all C & D (cos bodyache & fever, cant concentrate at all).

Hi mummies,

I thought all the young kids supposed to have their Chicken pox vacination before enter primary school!! Anyway, my kids got theirs when they were around 13 mths old.

I was told by the nurse that after the vacination, it's possible for my children to get chicken pox but that will only be a mild one.

It's better to get it done during school holidays cos some kids may develop fever after the vacination.

Hi Mummies

Can anyone share some simple to prepare and easy to cook lunch/dinner recipe? I am a nerd in cooking, luckily my children are easy to feed and they don't mind steam dishes. But I'd like to try some thing new once in a while...

<font color="aa00aa">Ladies,</font>

would like to share with u something! yestr my DD came home telling me that a boy in her class "spank" her buttocks while she's on her way back to her seat!!! My DD told her teacher in charge immediately n that boy was taken to e general office for a lecture. My DD told me this boy came back to class crying throughout the whole lesson.

i can c that my girl seems guilty abt this boy crying... but i told her what she did is absolutely CORRECT!!! cos if this boy make it a habit n he might end up in the jail next time when he grows up!!! then my DD feels at ease... i was so shocked nowadays ah! these children really make us parents HEADACHE!!!

but very funny leh! Y my DD alway "invite" this kind of funny boys??? last time, brought her to swimming pool, an ang-mo little boy came, keep on talking to her asking her name?( like those adults teasing girls!!!) but that time my DD was still young, i think she's 2 or 3 YO, she dont understand English yet! so she turned to her dad n ask: Daddy! what is this boy talking abt??? in mandarin!

another time, i brought her to art class.. while we r waiting to enter the class, we sat by the chairs next to the corridors leading to the classroom. there was this boy walking passed my DD n his hands just touch my DD's face!!! i saw it n i stare at that boy's father(following behind him) his father then kept on saying sorry to me!!!

i told my family abt it n all of them laughed n asked Y my DD so young n she already has Tao(2)Hua(1)Jie(2)!!!

Hi Jess,
I'm a nerd in the kitchen too. B4 I had a maid, it was either steam or boil. Now with a maid, we get to enjoy fried fish and stew chicken. But my kids simply love one dish - black sauce minced pork and it is very easy to cook.

Hi Janet

I choose not to have a maid, so I have to quit and look after my 2 kids. Black sauce minced pork - do you just stir fry the minced pork in black soya sauce and sesame oil?

Hi Jess,
Looking after 2 kids is definitely not easy. Fortunately they are easy with food.

Black sauce minced pork:
*Season the minced pork with little pepper, sugar, and soya sauce for at least 1/2 hour.
*Fry some garlic on low fire until slightly brown. Add in the minced pork and some black sauce. Fry for a while. Then add in some water.
*Allow pork to simmer for about 10-15 min. When cooked, add some cornstarch to thicken gravy.
*Let it boil for a while. Done.

Hi Jess,
It's really easy and tasty too. Goes very well with plain white porridge in this hot and humid weather. My kids can finish 2 bowls of porridge with it.

Also can consider making chicken beehoon. Equally easy too. I like fried rice, but my helper can't seem to get the taste I want. Frankly I am easy-going on food, as long as it's home-cooked.

Hello mummies,
Long time no forum. Been really busy.
Hi Jess,
My kid is opposite of yours where learning Chinese is concerned. I think it's becos of what their kindys focus on. My kid's kindy taught more on word recognition and writing, so she copes better with characters. But due to a lack of practice, her strokes also rusty already.
happy.gif

Recently, I had an exchange with my kid's PE teacher, who punished my kid becos she didn't have her HE book with her. I felt that it was not justified and wrote to her that firstly, there was no written instructions in the diary, and secondly, the book is not at home. The teacher became very defensive in her 5-paragraph email. I am very surprised that an experienced teacher lacks the tact and sensitivity to a parent's concern. She bolded words in case I miss out on the main messages. And the tone was quite condescending I thought,"I hope ... in future, I do not have to punish her". I was very upset, but I decided not to email or talk to her in anger. I got my husband to talk to her instead. Although we got the book back, it made me feel quite sore about the whole incident. I already feel heartached that my kid was wrongfully punished. I do not expect the teacher to apologise becos I don't believe that a teacher should apologise unless bodily or emotional harm is done. I was just very shocked that a teacher adopted such high-handed tone to an inquiring parent.

Hi Rains

I note that some teachers are not very well trained in proper communication with parents. They are so used to talking down to students and they use the same tone to talk to the parents, which can really be a turn off.

I personally had a few encounters with teachers and I must say that I am not impressed at all. Maybe my expectations tend to be higher because I come from a service background. But if you go to a private tuition or enrichment centre, you will note that the teachers are a lot more friendly and service oriented. I suppose now the emphasis in school is more on the curriculum and not so much of parent-teacher communication...

Hi Rains/JessChan,

maybe we should not expect the kind of treatment that we get when our child rec from their pre-school... rem i had mentioned that i called the school to request to speak to the wushu teacher earlier this month... til today, no one has called me back ...
sad.gif

also my gal's spelling is usually on tues( in this case it is a PH)... there is no written instruction as in when is the spelling... the teacher just gave them yesterday.... guess what my gal got 7 out of 8... the teacher's comment " TRY HARDER"..

i was pissed with such comment. why should she focus on the one mistake n ignore the 7 correct...
sad.gif

teacher nowaday... sigh....

Thanks for not making speculations that I had been rude to the teacher in my email to her.
happy.gif
I thought someone might say things like,"Perhaps you should reflect on what you wrote to the teacher" or something like that.

Actually, I had communicated with the form teacher on several occasions and she had been most professional, prompt and sensitive in her replies despite being a young teacher. Thus I was surprised that this particular teacher, who apparently is more experienced and has a higher position, didn't even check her email until my kid informed her that she got an email from me. Besides that, she explicitly tells us she doesn't have the practice of what the principal had informed parents on the day she briefed us on. And on top of that, her high-and-mighty tone. I guess you can't count on a teacher's years of experience where EQ is concerned.

I'm aware though that teachers ought to be tactful when dealing with parents. So it's a rude shock that this teacher didn't even bother to try and understand where I'm coming from. Instead, she almost demands that I see where she's coming from.

Dorothy,
I think the teacher used a stamp right? So she didn't have much variation. Besides a comment for kids who get full marks, the rest usually get the other comment like "Try harder". Don't take it so hard la.
happy.gif

Rains, sad to say... she handwritten....

to us, try harder means to just try harder the next round... but for young kids, they meant otherwise...

HI Mummies,
My son's 1st parent-teacher meeting will be in March. We are given a 10 minute time slot. Hopefully my son's teacher will have more tact/diplomacy when we meet.

Back