MOE MK or early childhood (career switch)

Sharmin661

Hi, not sure if this is a right channel to ask.

I'm been in the building industry/govt sector for almost 9 years and I'm thinking of a career switch. Part of me feels silly as I am earning a decent amt rn but it just isn't fulfilling. The stress I'm getting and the time to spend w my child has greatly reduced and even on weekends, I feel like I'm on my phone hoping for no sms for work related text or replying work matters. Recently with the wfh, felt like work is never done plus politics within the team, I'm losing sleep over it. So I'm prepared to make the jump (fully prepped)

Of cos I'm not saying early educators has no stress. But at least you see the children growing up, learning things you have taught(imo at least)

So ya, seeing the chance govt is setting up such programme for professional conversion programme, I would like to seek some opinions or sharing from exp.

1) how long for both application process if you exp it?
2) what is the most difficult thing you felt during the course of work
3) is there any diff in the different institution (e.g niec/klc)
4) any regrets?
5) I'm currently leaning towards moe mk but not sure if there is anything that I'm missing out.

Tia for any sharing!

Hi, just sharing my experience here. You must be mentally prepared for a huge pay cut and cultural differences. Not to mention heavy responsibilities and workload as well. I made the switch 2 years back but I switched back eventually as I felt seriously overworked, underpaid and not appreciated by parents. I felt like while I was taking care and educating other children, I was neglecting my own.

1) how long for both application process if you exp it?
I took the course in Ngee Ann Poly. It was a 8 month course.

2) what is the most difficult thing you felt during the course of work
Teaching a class of 15 children by myself was ok but on top of that still need to attend meetings, do portfolios, videos, attend to parents queries etc.. endless..

3) is there any diff in the different institution (e.g niec/klc)
Curriculum might be a bit different. You can check it out.

4) any regrets?
YES!! The pay is simply miserable.

5) I'm currently leaning towards moe mk but not sure if there is anything that I'm missing out.
I wasn’t in MK so not able to comment.

Back