Legal Advice needed

Veronica23

Hi all, about 2 years back, I hired a phillipines domestic helper to tend to my household needs. This was the helper first time leaving her province, coming to Singapore to work. About 2-3 months into the job, she requested to go back to Philippines as she mentioned she misses her family. We then decided to send her back to the agent and the agent will then decide if she will be rehired by another family or repatriation to the Philippines.

One year on, we suddenly receive a legal letter from the Philippines stating that the national labour relations commission has taken legal action on the Singapore agent, the Philippines agent and us (employer) within the Philippines jurisdiction. The letter stated many untrue facts (such as did not let maid eat on time, sleep late etc). All the facts written were not true.

As such, I would like to check if any of the readers here have faced such issues? If yes, is there a case here since this is in Philippines jurisdiction but the employment arrangement took place in Singapore? We did not get any legal opinion yet as we do not want to incur any unnecessary legal cost. Any opinions/advice here is greatly appreciated.

Back