Kinderland

I just dropped by Kinderland @ Yio Chu Kang. I like the place, it's spacious and have their own playground. I was there at 8:30AM while a lot of parents came to drop their children there. I don't see crying kids, and I can see that they do take precaution on HFMD. They checked the hands, legs etc. before the kids are brought to the classrooms. I went to visit the Kinderplay class, there were 15 toddlers there with 1 teacher and 1 helper, all of them were happily eating their breakfast. The only thing I don't like is the place is fully air-con, but the admin staff claimed that they will open up the windows to air the place once in a while.

I intend to send my boy to playgroup only mid of next year, so I still have time to source around before making a decision.

Hi Tigress,

Is good to hear some feedback from you. I may enrol my boy at the br at Sunshine place there, near Chao Chu Kang but I need to go dn to visit the place before I decide.

Same here i aso intend to enrol him mid of next yr, how old is ur boy now?

tigress

My boy is currently attending the Kinderplay at YCK. Hehe, maybe you would have seen my little one there today. Yes, they started the HFMD regime after the earlier outbreak this year. But the childcare section was unaffected. The preschool section was ordered to close.

There's currently 17 toddlers actually. Not 15. And according to the teacher, they're going to increase to 18, increase 1 more teacher and expand the place to next door. It is fully aircon, but it's not too bad, coz they go outside quite often to play at the playground. Hehe, i dunno that they will open up the windows to air, coz i hardly see that. Only once i saw on cleaning day, they brought the children to another classroom and opened up the place to clean.

Well, my boy is leaving end of this yr for nursery next year, so won't be seeing your little one. Oh yah, i heard from the teacher there's a waiting list for it. Gosh! Anyway, when my boy started in the beginning of this year, there were only 5-6 children. During school hols when the school bus doesn't operate, there were only 2-3 children. My boy enjoyed all the indiv attention then. Then it just grew and grew.

Superjay, my boy is 14mths now. I don't want to send him there too early as he has a very bad temper now. I hope to send him there when he knows how to express himself, or else half the time he will be crying.

Mashy, I just posted my question to you in another thread.

Hi Baby_Love,

Only comment that I have for Kinderland at woodlands civic centre - business too good and so, the class size is very big. Most of the classes has more than 20 students with 2 teachers.

Hi Mermmy

Agreed.

The centre seems to hv alot of students. And the admin told me to get back to her asap as the classes are almost full.

I haven't been to the one at woodlands mart. Think i will pay them a visit soon to compare these 2 centres.
happy.gif

Anyone has any experience of Kinderland at Pandan Valley?

I read that the cirrculum in Kinderland is not very advanced and they teach quite simple stuffs.. is it true?

Cloubhappy : u r not entirely wrong to say the curriculum is not v advanced.

Out of respect for my son's school, i won't mention the location. he just started kinderland cc.
I sat in 2 sessions lately and i m beginning to doubt the cc curriculum.
i find that they spend a lot of time cleaning up the children and hence leaving not much time for "quality classroom activity"...
This is my son's curriculum
8.30-8.40 am:Arrive School
8.40am-9am: Breakfast
9-9.25am: Outdoor Play (this i would say is the BEST part of the entire curriculum!)
9.25-10am: Cleaning up (for the 2 days that i was there...cleaning up ended at 10.10am; their cleaning up is mere changing of clothes only..No washing nor wiping and this took more than 30mins to complete) and to add to it, 2 kids wanna go toilet became whole class go toilet ..by which time they settle down for classroom lesson it was 1030am...

Next lesson was suppposed to be 10-1045am: English Phonics but because all the cleaning up & toilet thingy dragged til 1030am...they only had 15mins of singing... with music playing from a small portable player ...and the teacher was not even really singing!

Then chinese class from 1045-1120am...which is nothing much also..the story-telling nobody listen ...

Then lunch at 11.20am-12noon...Then cleaning up again...by which time my son will say bye bye cos he is on halfday cc only.

So if everyday like that, i don't know what else will my son learn ? I was looking at having more painting sessions...eg introduce green colour..and start to show pictures of green items (eg grass, traffic light is green,) and get them to paint pictures of leaves in green colour....

OR alphabets-introducing activity eg .. introduce an alphabet a day eg A ..and bring in an apple to show them A is for apple..and at the same time can reinforce Apple is red and has vitamins...u know more "acitivity"-based.. and they learn something interesting everyday...not just play the CD via some portable player .. and expect them to listen to music...

I have already discussed w my husband.. since my son just started...we'll let him continue for a few months...and once we scout for a place with a better (more lively) curriculum, i will not hesitate to switch!

PS: BTW my son is 3 years old..so he is in their nusery 1 class. If my son is 18months, i wouldn't mind...cos he would be too young to learn too much..but becos my son is 3...i feel it is about time to introduce colours, alpahbets thru interesting activity like painting, colouring..

Hi DTJ

I have the same gut feel as you.

I really think that our kids don really have much time for real learning in a 3hrs class, after the toilet time, settling down time, tea break time, cleaning time, queuing time.

Where do u stay?

Cloudhappy : I stay around the eastern part of Singapore.

So have you sent your child to any CC or kindergarten? Which one? Is the curriculum good?

U know what i mean right? I am not the sort of parents who just want my son to learn A-Z ... i just felt that more effort should be placed in making learning fun, interactive & interesting...eg Outdoor play is good, so is painting & singing..and i expect the teachers to singalong w the kids...and creating a learning experience through the use of "everyday items" eg they can use Apple to introduce colours (red) and Alphabet (A) ... not just playing the CD and asking the kids to jump jump jump without much singing...

Although i salute their efforts in changing my boy but i feel they should not overdo it. They really spend a lot of time changing the kids & feeding the kids...at the end of the day i m not sure what my boy has learnt but what i do remember is seeing the cleaning up & feeding taking up a huge chunk of the curriculum such that it became a core actitvity ? Hence i find it worrying ...

Do you know of any good kindergarten to recommend in the Eastern part of Singapore or any CC that doesn't keep changing the kids' clothes? i m amazed that half-day CC they asked for 2 sets of clothes ; what if it is full day CC - 4 sets ? ? ?

DTJ - I have exactly the same experience and sentiments as you do. My girl just started at one of the Kinderland cc last week, and I was there with her for 2 days. I too observed that a lot of time was spent on managing the ADL (activities of daily living), like toileting, meals, handwashing etc. Even during activity time, there did not seem much structure, e.g. the children were just left to play on their own in the playground, or in the hall, and very little teaching/learning activities happened. On both the days I was there, the 'teaching' that occurred involved the playing of CDs and singing along, and maybe reading a story or two. I could do that at home!

Very disappointed.

Hi Wei (golden daffodil)
yeah i can understand how u feel as i m in it too...besides the fees is not that cheap (even after subsidy) ...

how old is your girl ?

my husband & i have decided to switch my boy to a kindergarten next year ...
happy.gif

Hi DTJ

My girl just turned 3. She has settled in at the CC, but I plan to switch her over to the pre-school next year.

Just curious - which kindergarten will your boy be attending next year?

Hi Mummies,

I am also planning to send my 20 months old toddler to Kinderland at Woodlands Civic Plaza but after hearing your comments on the curriculum, it doesn't seemed very good. Though he's only 20 months, this is the period whereby they absorbs the most I guessed. However, the person there told me their ratio for toddler is 1 is to 5 students...

Hi all,

Would like to know more about your comments on Kinderland - Yio Chu Kang. Pls kindly share with me. Thnks

CC and KIndergarten operate rather differently. Kinderland Kindergarten I know have a good program and so far from friends' feedback, they're very happy.

I have went to Kinderland CC at hougang street 21 (behind Kovan MRT) to take a look as intend to enroll my boy who is 26 months old next Jan, the place is big, but a bit run down and they have the after school care for students, so is quite a lot of ppl comes up and down. But not sure if this CC is good.

Me also thinking of putting him to kinderland kindergarten instead beside Seranggon MRT.

Any comments for CC at Hougang Street 21 or Kindergarten beside Seranggon MRT?

Hi koala,

Did you finally put your boy to kinderland at hougang st.21? Thinking of putting my boy there.. but haven't visited the place.. Care to share your feedback?

tks

hi,

any comments on kinderland child care - yio chu kang? thinking of putting my 2.5 yo son there.

appreciate any comments.

thanks!

hi

i have comment on kinderland childcare in cck, the teacher can not handle kid properly. yes i admitted my son quite naughty but as a teacher she should know how to handle naughty kids, my son was transfered from learning vision but he is ok in learning vision.

he has felt down two time, 1 time he got cut near eyes (lucky nothing happen to the eyes) and another time got cut on the chin, this happen within 1 wk
sad.gif
before felt down happened he has brushed in his two legs when i asked the teacher, she seems do not know. Eventhough kinderland very convenient for me but i think i got enough with them
sad.gif

I am going to transfer out my son from kinderland, i may be transfered back to learning vision for time being until i found another good child care.

My son with learning vision almost 1 year seems no problem at all, the teacher able to handle him properly.

I think the problem in kinderland because too many kid in the center which made the teacher unable to manage the kids very well.

this my two cents worth and my experience with them.

Hi
Anyone has any comments on the Kinderland at Sunshine place?
Intend to send my son there (pre N) but not sure if the teachers are good and will take good care of him....worried...

HI all,

I am considering to enrol my ger to CCK Kinderland, anyone can share with me their experiences? I understand that this branch is a franchise, that explain y the fees differ from other centers....

any updated news for childcare centre at cck near lot 1? need feedback urgently, as will enrol my girl in there soon..

please help...heard the change of principal is no good...how??

teachers?

Hello, Mrs ng, have you already sent your girl to kinderland childcare (near lot 1 CCK)? is it good? I am also considering to send my girl who was born in 2008,Dec. Pls share me some comments. If you sent to other cc or kindgartens, pls also share me....I am looking for the child care or kindergartens in CCK....Thanks a lot!

Hi,I'm considering sending my boy,4yrs old to Learning Vision at Woodlands Vista Point. Can anyone give me some feedback on this cc. M also considering MMI too. Pls help. M also open to all other suggestions.. Tks alot..

Hi, My son is currently with kinderland yio chu kana preschool- K1. This is his second year there. So far we are quite happy with the school although we hope the program would be longer than 3 hours.

Due to family reasons, we now have to consider putting him into the childcare section. Anyone has any feedback on their childcare service? I see a lot of foreign teachers, especially chinese and am a bit concerned. Would really appreciate any feedback from any parent, especially those whose kids are in kindergarden level since our intention is to place my son in the childcare next year. Thank you in advance!

greenbowl,
actually many childcare centres hire foreign teachers.
They are usually hired to teach the Mandarin curriculum and I would say most of them will be degree holders in their native country.

I will be enrolling my boy in YCK and I did a centre visit the other day.. erm.. what I can say is it is like a normal CC setting.. and the pace is slower in a CC setting than preschool. The children will get more time to free play, so you will see them doing nothing for some periods of time.

This is quite common in childcare imo

Thanks Ah Ching for your thoughts.

Actually we are quite hesitant to change to cc because he would be k2 next year and don't really want to make drastic changes if we can help it. I spoke with the preschool principle yesterday on something else and happen to just mention about school hours. She said they are looking into extending into 4 hours lessons. However because of logistical issues for school and parents, they need to give at least 1 year advance notice before they can implement the changes. This means it's not possible for the hours to be extended next year.

To be frank, we can really see the drastic developmental changes in my son after he joined Kinderland last year. I saw the feedback from some of the members on the time taken to learn basic cleaning/tasks in school. I think for every school, it's almost the same- students and teachers need a period of time to run-in the routine and be efficient. The first time I joined the class for lunch at the preschool, students took easily Half hour more to eat and pack. Subsequent time a few months time, they were more efficient. So I guess cannot be helped... Overall I must say, the environment and teachers are good and conducive for learning. I have been to quite a few schools which have a few classes being held in one big room and it's very distracting. I guess all schools have their strengths and weaknesses....

Hi mummies, my girl goes to the Kinderland at Republic Poly, she's in the Pre-N1 class, just turned two years old. The levels are separated into their own classes and have their own spaces, so that is good. When I spoke to the teacher, she said the ratio according to MOE is 1 teacher to 8 students. That seemed like a lot of kids. in the begining of the school year it was a small cosy class, now its quite big, they added a teacher or two and class size swelled to 10 per class (there are 2 classes). Yes they do spend a lot of time on the daily activities, eating, cleaning, toileting, washing up. I gues at that age its part of helping them become independent, cos its definitely faster if the teacher does it for them instead of letting them try. However, I do think for the curriculum, its not that great. My daughter is not the oldest in class, but when new syllabus in introduced, she already knows it eg. shapes etc. I think the curriculum is quite basic, and if you do want your kids to be learning more curriculum wise, you need to be more pro-active and not just rely on the childcare, Indeed with so many kids, they cannot cater to each individual. So do more things with them at home to expose them and help them to learn. Childcare can only teach them so much.

Back