How to increase breast milk

sherlin_su

Hi, Juz to check on how to increase breastmilk as currently my boy coming 3th month and i've been falling sick. most of the time i latch on to feed my boy, but recently he seems not enough milk and cried. eventually i tried to pump out and it's only ard 100ml on both breast. Recently i do give supplement formula in case he is still hungry. However for supplement formula he can drink up to 180ml. But it can i would like to breastfeed totally. So any advice from anyone?

Are you sure your baby cried because of hunger? Does he have enough wet nappy each day and gaining weight? Pump does not draw milk as efficiently as baby so even though you pump only 100ml, your baby can drink more when he latches directly.

How often do you feed your baby? Try to increase the frequency and do no eliminate night feeding yet. This will signal your body to produce more milk as demand is increasing. When my bb was 2 - 3 months old, I nursed him every 2 - 3 hours round the clock (day & night).

Some moms have good results taking fenugreek supplement. You may want to try that as well.

More fluids, fish-papaya soup (these two have worked well for me), and don't stress out. Relax.

I've heard some who take fenugreek and there are herbal teas specifically for increasing milk supplies. My friend use to get them from Brown Rice Paradise @ Tanglin Mall

Hi mummies,
papaya soup, fish,apples and breastfeeding milk really help to increase bm. My therapist bought me a vege call pengaga and is sell at geylang market and my mums stir fry few time for me and it does really help to increase my supply. Most important as her advise to have gd rest, sleep well and pump out the balance after latching. Compress with hot towel for abt 10 mins always before latching to have better letdown and it wont easily accumulate blockducts.

hi mummies,
for the papaya fish soup, is there any specific fish to use or any fish will do?

Normally they'd use the meat and bones of Kurau (or Wu Yu in Chinese). I just used everything, incl salmon, cod, but these two has a stronger taste, esp cod, which I know not many people like to use esp in soup.

my malay post natal lady taught me this: just lightly fry the fish before you put into the soup. she said it helps somehow to bring out the oil in the fish - the oils (from frying and the natural fish oil) help you produce the milk. It seems to have worked for me. good luck!

Hi,

Can let me noe exactly how to cook the fish soup coz these few weeks my supply like going low....?

THanks

Hi Annedrew,
this is the recipe i got:-

Ingredients
• 500 grams of fish bones
• 500 grams of green papaya (the flesh of the fruit is white)
• Three litres of water
• Four slices of ginger (this will help cut down any fishy taste or smell)
• Six pips (cloves) of garlic
• Three stalks of spring onion
• Salt to taste

Directions
• Boil the water, then add in the ginger, garlic and spring onion.
• Cut the papaya into small slices. Discard seeds.
• Pour boiling water over the green papaya to remove sap, then drain.
• Combine the fish bones into the boiling pot, followed by the green papaya.
• Turn down the fire, leave to boil for about half an hour to reduce. This should yield about three rice bowls of soup.

usually i use fish meat instead of bones, so i can eat it too. ;>

i tried the recipe earlier this month and it works. i used threadfin or cod.

but i find tat wen i stop drinking the soup, my supply drop a bit. mayb coz of stress working. hehe... gonna start making the soup again.

kristine mentioned abt daun pengaga. tot of trying tat too.

Hi Laila,

Thanks a lot! Last time when I was under confinement, my MIL did make the soup for me and it works. However, dun wish to ask her help tis time as she has been telling me to give up BF for 3 months liao... so tot mayb i try to cook myself though i am a bery terrible cook! Does NTUC sell those green papaya?

Many thanks!

Hi Annedrew,

so far i've nvr seen any young papaya in NTUC. i get them from the wet market. those stalls selling vegetables. Dont worry, i'm not good in cooking too. but this is simple. just cut cut cut then dump in the pot. hehe....

I wonder y most elders doesnt really support BF after abt 3 or 4 mths. most reason i heard is 'not enough. baby will feel hungry' haiz....

i got the feeling my MIL ask me to supplement with formula, especially at night, so that she can have my son sleep over. hehe.... my son only gets BM exclusively every night. not thawed, but latch on. i can nvr imagine my son not sleeping in his cot by my bedside. hehe....

i do supplement my son with formula, but only on weekdays wen i'm working n there's no frozen BM left. wen i'm around, just latch on.

keep it up!

Someone posted this in another thread. I copied the recipe but didn't copy her name. Hope the poster doesn't mind me sharing her recipe.

1 white fish tail or fish bones or fish meat ~ about 1kg
100g raw peanuts ~ 1 handful?
(I use black beans now because the pediatrician advised me to avoid peanuts due to my baby's mild eczema)
1 raw or half-ripe papaya, about 1kg - cut into cubes/wedges
1 piece tangerine peel
4 slices old ginger
1.5litres boiling water
2 Tablespoons oil

Heat oil & fry ginger slices, then fry fish in oil until brown.

Then put all ingredients into the slow cooker and simmer for about 2 to 3 hrs - generally until the soup smells really fragrant.

Then enjoy the drink!

[According to this old Malay masseuer I had, just fry the fish a bit is better to 'get the fish's natural oils out'. To me, it tastes better than non-fried-at-all fish as well.]

Hi Laila,

I latch my girl on everytime when I am at home too! Oso cannot imagine my girl not sleeping with me at night!

Sunny,

Thanks for the alternative recipe. Think my MIL uses your recipe as I rem hers got black beans....
Wat kind of white fish?

Thanks

Hi mummies, papaya soya milk works for me.. You can try it =)

Papaya 1 slice
Reduced sugar soya milk half cup
3-4 ice cubes

Blend it and drink it immediately..

Hi mummies,
I am a new mummy to a 4 mth old boy but I got some of experience from my sis who has 6 kids all fully breastfeeding at least 2 years... So far my supply is great and can produce 240ml every 2 hrs if my junior is not around. He kinda feeds alot as well. No other food intake currently, only breast milk. The trick to increasing supply is by practicing all as follows:

1)Demand and supply. That is why ppl would recommend if they are at home to pump their milk for at least another 10 mins after latching although not much milk to simulate the demand. If you are working like me, it is encourage to pump abt 3/4hrs for abt 20 mins. Try pumping at least once at night and another time waking him at least once at night making it altogether twice milking.

2) Drink your liquids. To produce liquid you have to increase your intake of liquid. It can be in a lot of form such as soups, mum milk or even HL milk for fast form of drinking. It is encouragable for herbal teas or milk for additional nutrients for your junior.

3) Eat your veges and fruits. eg, drinking soups like fish, papayas or any fruits or veges as describe would add to taste and improve amount of milk tremendously if practice frequently. Watermelon is another another of fruit with lots of liquids and nutrients.

4) If you are willing to invest some supplements, you may take :
>jamu like "habis salin" (www.damisari-herb.com), "Jamu susu - Nyonya Meneer or Borobudur"
>Herb known as Tien Men Dong or Shatavari or Asparagus racemosus. Can be found in capsule at pharmacy under Himalaya. Or you can go to a Chinese herb shop and ask for it, not many has it and taking it without capsule is bitter.
>Fenugeek, Highly reccommended by lots of mummies but I am not too sure where to get this from as I am doing fine with Shatavari.

4)Plenty or rest. Don't be afraid to ask for favours from your husband sometimes as its two way commitment. It takes two to have your junior isn't it?
happy.gif

5) Avoid stress. I know its hard to avoid that especially if u are a working mum in Singapore. But once a week, sit in your room for a couple of hours, listen to your soothing music, put on some aromatheraphy and just relax. You may sometimes massage your breast to loosen the muscles. If you are really too busy, try to discpline yourself once fortnightly.

6)Avoid pacifiers. If possible, try to avoid this. Too bad I can't due to my MIL.

These are some of them that I practice. There are others but they are just additionals, the above are the basics. Thank god so far I have no problem. Anyway breastfeeding really help, financially. You save a lot from buying formula milk and can invest on a-one-time better breastpump. It really is worth besides the apportunity to bond with your Junior.

Posted by Laila regarding her MIL, I am facing the same problem. My MIL would not even let my Junior go unless he is crying for milk (sometimes she gives him pacifier just to keep him quiet so I cannot take Junior away for feeding), even I do not have the apportunity to sleep him in the afternoons exceptional for night. Some MIL wants their grandchildren to be close to them instead of the mother. So I am very motivated not to stop breastfeeding so I can be close with my Junior. This makes me want to be more discipline to do the above.

Hope this can be a lot of help to all BF mothers...

i can only pump 100ml every 3 hours, no more than 120ml, even when i'm taking fenugreek. so demoralising..

<font color="119911">hi mummies..
just to encourage all mummies to breastfeed as long as u can..i believed bfg is abt how determine u want ur baby to be breastfed..

althou it can be tiring..but surely rewarding..
tell urself u can, and u will be able to do it..

for a start, try to regulate bfg every 3hrly..to establish the supply..either latch or express whcever method u r comfy with..invest in a gd electric pump will help u in the long run of ur bfg career, u can find breeze in bfg..

top up FM when u think it's needed..but do not stress up urself..if u find urself not having enough milk, do not be dishearted..just continue along the way &amp; even if u could only afford for 1 feed of breastmilk to baby per day..is really a chest of treasures to baby..

i was "hooked" up to expressing that i sorely expressed exclusively..somehw i felt i can measured hw much bb is drinking and it's set the frequency for baby's feeding schedule too..each day i expressed abt 1.5l to 2l and managed to have excess for my 2 kids and passed my febm to my gf's kiddos to drink over the wkends..so long as u want, u can do it..so jia-you, jia-you..

once the supply is established (usually it will aft 2-4wks frm birth) &amp; right before u retn to work..stretch the expressing frequency to match the time u will be expressing out during ur working hrs..

so everyone, do jiayou! also do remember..happy baby = happy mummy = happy milk </font>

wonder if anyone can help me.. my supply now is only like 50ml per 12 hours... breast dun feel need to express at all.. i n my girl cant do latching.. duno y...
my girl is 2.5mths now..
cam anyone advise wat can i do to increase milk.. n did anyone suffer hair loss? my hair is dropping like no tomz..
pls help

Hi ladies
FYI only. I received fenugreek tabs and nursing tea and tea bags (Sacred Tea and Mother's Milk brands)from friends. Found that fenugreek worked for me. But also found that Sacred Tea and Mother's Milk and all the other "milk" teas were really expensive!!

Anyway, remember seeing an article in a mag once about Arab St shops selling herbs and spices, so tried my luck. Apparently there was a big shop but it's closed down. I found this alternative shop at 722 North Bridge Rd (just before the Sultan Mosque). According to the owner, his shop is actually supposed to be called Herbslife but he hasn't had the chance to change the signboard yet (which is "Sykt Maideen" something like that).

50gms of fenugreek seeds is only S$2. Good for many cups. He taught me how to make tea using the original seeds. Taste okay and more importantly, has results
happy.gif

I just bought a second round from him today. He also recommended "black seed" to me, also to increase nursing amongst other benefits. I will try and post results here for all.

Hi, I am selling 5 pkts of sacred tea as I am planning to stop bf at $30 per pack. Self collect at Punggol. Please PM me. Manufacture in USA.

Hi mummies, is it a must to pump out after each feed? I'm currently nursing my 1 mth old bb every 1-2 hrly, sometimes 30 mins after his last feed if he drinks only one side. So if I pump out after each feed (be it one side or full feed), will it affect his next feed half an hr later? I'm only worried he'll not have enough milk to drink 30 mins later..

Edt, it's not a must to pump after each feed or at all. But if you want to try and increase your supply, you can try pumping during feed (recommended by another mum) or after feed. Doesn't have to be a full pump - e.g. just go for 5 mins will be good. The point is to stimulate the milk glands so that they are fooled into thinking that baby wants more milk.

Just play around with it. Sometimes if you give baby your right boob, you can still try pumping just your right to "drain" and/or further stimulate. Or you can pump your left just a bit or fully. Or even both boobs. Everyone has different preferences (and levels of energy) and different reactions from our boobs. BM production is like river water flowing into a reservoir/lake. The reservoir is never totally dry cos the river is always flowing in. Pumping is like raising the dam so that the stored water is drained out but the river still keeps flowing in. So after a pump, for the next feed, it may take baby a bit longer to get full but there will be milk.

You're still in your first month post birth so the important thing is not to stress or overtax your body or your mind(!) too much. Stress lowers production. You need to get plenty of rest, sleep and nourishing food so that you can be a healthy mum for your baby. No point exhausting yourself to produce BM and getting sick. Not good for you or baby.

take care k

hi, i have bf my girl exclusively for 2 months without pumping. Now i started pumping as i am going back to work soon, and i realise that i am only express abt 100ml each time every 5-6 hours.
i need to increase my milk, but is it too late now?
i have taken fernugreek, and has ordered mother's milk tea which will be received next week.

if u have breastfeed exclusively and she is not complaining. i think yr supply may not be low. it could be due to let down issues or yr pump. what pump are u using?

if u have breastfeed exclusively and she is not complaining. i think yr supply may not be low. it could be due to let down issues or yr pump. what pump are u using?

I'm first time mum and am already in 3rd wk of my newborn trying to breast feed, but found my supply not enough! Do you all wake up even during midnight to pump? How do u all manage with the feeding e.g baby needs to drink in 1.5-2hrs, he takes 45mins to feed..how do you get enough rest as it's feeding around the clock.. Im trying hard to bf and can't seem to have enough energy to keep up with this!
Any tips to share?

Back