How to get babies to sleep through the night?

MistyCloud

My 12 week old used to sleep from 11pm to 7+am but she has been waking at 5+am these days instead and doesn't fall back asleep after drinking milk. How can I get her to sleep through again?

She also has trouble sleeping in the daytime and we need to soothe her a lot or let her cry out before she gets so tired and fall asleep n the daytime. Also, in the daytime, she sleeps for a short while each session only, usually about 45 mins. :(

As our little ones are constantly growing, their sleeping cycle changes from time to time. There's no single solution which I could offer but one which I used for my 5 month old girl was to increase the frequency of feeds from 6pm. In the day, she feeds 3 hourly and from 6pm, she feeds 2 hourly (6pm, 8pm and 10pm). Then I'll wake her up around 6 plus to prep her for infantcare. If you are currently breastfeeding, do so especially during daybreak and evenings as it helps to signal to the baby its turning day or night. Hope it helps :)

mawby84, thanks for sharing. So you mean to bfeed in the day and evening but keep to bottles at night? I am giving bottles at night. I guess I'll need to warm the milk in advance in anticipation of her waking at 5am then.

As I've returned to work, I only bf her at night (8pm feed). 10pm I'll do bottle feed so that she feels fuller to last through the night. For morning feeds, I use bottle feeding cause its faster (10 mins) compared to bf which could take up to half an hour.

The other suggestion is to increase the milk portion for your last feed, you can try using BM for the incremental amount and adjust accordingly.

mawby84, how old is your baby? a few months old? that's very good, we're working towards that now. Learning this methos from the Gina Ford book.

I realised that if she wakes and I give her the breast, she'll be awake. She sleeps better after bottle feeding in the night.

mawby84, how old is your baby? a few months old? that's very good, we're working towards that now. Learning this methos from the Gina Ford book.

I realised that if she wakes and I give her the breast, she'll be awake. She sleeps better after bottle feeding in the night.

Hi there, she's 5 months old now. It takes some trial and error to get the feed timings and proportions right. i'm not sure if it helps but I get my hubby to do the last feed at 10pm. Somehow I feel when I feed maybe she could smell bm during feeding position, she doesn't doze off so easily. Its like she prefers direct latch to bottle feeding. Maybe you could consider trying it out :)

Anyone following the Gina Ford book here? My baby is now 14 weeks and she has been waking up earlier at 10pm and 5.45am. Her old routine was sleep at 7pm, we wake her between 11-1130pm then she'll sleep through to 7pm.

I'll breastfeed her at 6pm and then top up with 60ml EBM and at 11pm, feed her 120EBM.

What can I do to have her back to her old schedule?

Anyone following the Gina Ford book here? My baby is now 14 weeks and she has been waking up earlier at 10pm and 5.45am. Her old routine was sleep at 7pm, we wake her between 11-1130pm then she'll sleep through to 7pm.

I'll breastfeed her at 6pm and then top up with 60ml EBM and at 11pm, feed her 120EBM.

What can I do to have her back to her old schedule?

Hi MistyCloud, when your baby wakes up at 10pm, is it due to hunger? If yes, you might want to consider increasing the feed before 10pm, for the incremental amount, use breastmilk for a start as its easily digestable. Maybe a slight 10ml to 15ml increase will do. Then monitor and see what time she wakes up. You will need to do some fine tuning on the amount to give. Your baby could be going through a growth spurt therefore asking for milk earlier :)

Hihi ,I just did. 70ml just now. Hopefully she'll sleep through. Will update after monitoring for a few days. =)

Back