How to fatten an 8 month baby?

Shfqh

Hi, my baby is almost 8 months & Exclusively breastfed. But she's only 5.3kg. Her development is good and hitting milestones. Pees & poops well too. She's on solid food but only manages 4-5 baby spoonful. And on a good day she eats 6-8 spoons. Is there anything I can do to fatten her up??

Regards
A Worried mama.

Hi, my baby is almost 8 months & Exclusively breastfed. But she's only 5.3kg. Her development is good and hitting milestones. Pees & poops well too. She's on solid food but only manages 4-5 baby spoonful. And on a good day she eats 6-8 spoons. Is there anything I can do to fatten her up??

Regards
A Worried mama.

Hello, please do yourself and your baby a big favor, find a PD that you trust a lot and ask him or her 2 question.

1) Does my baby need to be fatten? (Yes or No)

IF he/she say Yes, please ask him/her the method how you can go ahead to do it. If he/she tell you No, then please do not worried, you are doing a great job, please just continue status quo and your baby will be fine.

All the best

@Shfqh - please keep us posted on her progress. Good to visit a PD just to clear things up in case there's something more serious that the lack of weight is indicating.

@Shfqh: Is your gal still going for her jabs? I m sure they wld require 2 take d height n weight of your DD. Was anything mentioned about your DD's weight? Weight is relative as one wld need 2 look @ d height too. If PD thinks your DD is under weight or requires "fattening" I m sure PD wld have recommended something. However, u can always check wif d PD when u go 4 a routine jab.

Her development is good and hitting milestones, pees and poops well too, that sounds great!

How many meals are you giving your little one a day? My guess is if the meals are frequent, perhaps that's why she's only managing 4-8 spoonfuls per meal? Maybe write down in a diary the food you see her eating more of, babies have food preferences too :)

I agree you should get a professional opinion if you are worried. In any case, your LO is probably growing well but not as "fast"as you thought. What's her birth weight and did u track her growth progress?

Hi everyone! I didn't keep track of my own thread thinking no one would reply.. Thank you for all your reassuring replies! I have seen the PD, we took blood tests (oh god it was so painful to watch) and did thorough checks with the PD, and tests came out all good. At the same time, my PD was the one who kept telling me she was too small, too small, too small & got me really worried. And told me to change to formula milk to fatten her up, which is impossible because baby does not take bottle or pacifiers what more formula in a bottle We tried. She refused. So we decided not to see the PD anymore because honestly I think she's only small because I was small & he sort of made all of us got angry w baby when she refused to eat (I was probably damn stressed out). (I was only 30kg when I was 24years old and had difficulties gaining weight. Only after I got pregnant, I managed to gain weight.)

After I stopped with the PD, I told myself, it's ok! My baby won't starve herself to death. And stopped getting all cranky w her when she refuses to eat. She's now finally gaining weight! I make her snack a lot and now she's finally eating normal baby food. Thank goodness. Maybe it was just a phase? I don't know. But whatever it is I'm just so thankful she's eating now. thank you everyone for ur replies!

Hi everyone! I didn't keep track of my own thread thinking no one would reply.. Thank you for all your reassuring replies! I have seen the PD, we took blood tests (oh god it was so painful to watch) and did thorough checks with the PD, and tests came out all good. At the same time, my PD was the one who kept telling me she was too small, too small, too small & got me really worried. And told me to change to formula milk to fatten her up, which is impossible because baby does not take bottle or pacifiers what more formula in a bottle We tried. She refused. So we decided not to see the PD anymore because honestly I think she's only small because I was small & he sort of made all of us got angry w baby when she refused to eat (I was probably damn stressed out). (I was only 30kg when I was 24years old and had difficulties gaining weight. Only after I got pregnant, I managed to gain weight.)

After I stopped with the PD, I told myself, it's ok! My baby won't starve herself to death. And stopped getting all cranky w her when she refuses to eat. She's now finally gaining weight! I make her snack a lot and now she's finally eating normal baby food. Thank goodness. Maybe it was just a phase? I don't know. But whatever it is I'm just so thankful she's eating now. thank you everyone for ur replies!

Hello mummy, We are all so happy for you.

My advise is change the PD, keep on changing PD until you can find one that you are comfy and able to work with. It is ok to give your baby snack to eat but do check with snack ingredient ok. It should be made of high quality ingredient and preferably not so sweet too.

Enjoy your motherhood. Cheers

Happy to hear that! Sometimes, listening to the doctors makes parents so stressed! I went through this phase too. With 2 of my children. Doctors kept saying they are too small sized... and needs to drink more milk, eat more. My eldest one, now in primary school, keeps getting a letter from HPB to tell us that she is "severely underweight". But she is growing well, thinking well, active, good in her school work etc. So if your child is hitting milestones at appropriate times, I think there is nothing much to worry about.

Most totally breastfed babies are / will NOT BE fat , don't think they will ever be until they start eating in their own .
As long as she's growing within the good range ,hiting all the right mile stones .. don't worry urself too much .
She's ppbly has your small genes .
Small moms have small babies .. Don't expect her to have an elephant baby .

You are doing very well .. Good on you .

Back