How to establish routine for 6 mths old

Teh yee jin

Hi mummies,
Need some suggestions on how to establish routine for my 6 mths old boy especially his sleep routine. My LO has very bad sleeping pattern at night. Wake up almost every 3-4 hrs and cant go back to sleep and cry out for us. We tried early bedtime(7am), late bedtime (8.30pm), but his bad habits continue. I have trouble having a consistent nap timing as well. Sometimes he slp for 1 hr, sometimes he can slp for 2 hrs, thus, his subsequent nap times are pushed back. Sometimes he resist sleep especially the third nap and get overtired by the time its bedtime. Sigh..he never sleeps thru the night and i wonder when tt day will come. Even 5 hrs straight of sleep is god sent. I dont think he wakes up at night for milk because sometimes he just refuse milk or just drink abit and spit out the bottle.

Hi I started my boy on sleep training when he is about 3 months. I would start him with a bath at 6 pm, give him a massage and then let him have his milk. And then I will bring him to the room, turn off lights and play sleep music and pat him to sleep. He will still wakes up for his milk every 3-4 hours and after will pat him back to sleep. Looks like you need to help your boy set a consistent pattern ... have a 3 hour cycle of feed play and sleep and soon he will fall into this pattern and will fall asleep naturally. As yours is already 6 months you will need to be strict and patient to break his old habits and learn new pattern

Hi mummies,
Need some suggestions on how to establish routine for my 6 mths old boy especially his sleep routine. My LO has very bad sleeping pattern at night. Wake up almost every 3-4 hrs and cant go back to sleep and cry out for us. We tried early bedtime(7am), late bedtime (8.30pm), but his bad habits continue. I have trouble having a consistent nap timing as well. Sometimes he slp for 1 hr, sometimes he can slp for 2 hrs, thus, his subsequent nap times are pushed back. Sometimes he resist sleep especially the third nap and get overtired by the time its bedtime. Sigh..he never sleeps thru the night and i wonder when tt day will come. Even 5 hrs straight of sleep is god sent. I dont think he wakes up at night for milk because sometimes he just refuse milk or just drink abit and spit out the bottle.

Can I just suggest that you don't stress yourself trying to establish a routine? My first daughter was like that, I couldn't grasp her timing, and there was no routine. She was cluster feeding, wants to nurse to sleep, can't put her down, and well basically, there were good days and bad days for us. I didn't get enough sleep, was tired and frustrated! Like you, I wanted to solve this problem so we can sleep, and I tried asking experts, read books, and then envy all my other mummy friends whose kids are well trained and slept through the night. Of course they'd also share their methods with me, which I tried but none worked. Nothing worked and I ended up stressed about her not sleeping and not being able to successful establish a routine, which then made me feel like I'm probably such a lousy mother. I slowly began to realise my daughter just needed lots of security, that's why she could fall asleep in our arms and wouldn't let us put her down so how was sleep training supposed to help make her feel secure? Anyway, we struggled through and I don't remember when and how long, but she is now 2, and has been sleeping on her own and through the night since she was 18 months. Don't feel defeated if you can't establish a routine, your baby is trying to tell you something with the crying, and you may or may not figure it out. If you do, whether it's hunger, or colic, or insecurity, then it's easy to solve, otherwise don't beat yourself up either. I didn't realise what my daughter's problem was until I was pregnant with my second child too! And people are right when they say hang in there, it'll be over before you know it!

Back