Help needed!! Kinderland @CCK or MMI

carol0425

Hi mommies,
I intend to put my gal in Kinderlad @CCK. But there are quite a lot of bad feedbacks for Kinderland CCK.
So thinking to enroll her to MMI @ Beauty World Centre.
Can someone please kindly share with me between these 2 center?

Can anyone please kindly comment on Kinderland @ CCK or MMI in beauty World?
Or any other good kindergarten around bukit panjang area?
Truly appreciate comments from mommies.

Kinderland not bad! The teachers there are quite ok... my daughter is there !
happy.gif

Hi,

May I know if you are refering to Kinderland next to Lot 1 or Kinderland at Sunshine Place, CCK?
If I'm not wrong, the Kinderland next to Lot 1 is a childcare centre whereas Kinderland at Sunshine Place, CCK is a kindergarten. Hence, in terms of operations and fees, they are very different.

I have shortlisted Kinderland kindergarten, Sunshine Place as one of my boy's preschool choice. However, the fees seem rather high($1059 for 10 weeks) for me as I am a SAHM, single income family.

That means I will have to fork out $500 plus including transport monthly for a 3 hour nursery programme. If this Kinderland kindergarten offer very good curriculum and have patient teachers, I will not hesitate to spend on my child's education.

Please share your views if this fees are justifiable, especially those mommies who have kids studying there now. Many many thanks!! ;)

Heard from someone that MMI (Phoenix) is not bad... ...but I'm not sure why.

Can those mommies with children studying there give your feedback too?

Thanks a lot =)

Hi Shyarion,
I have visited Kinderland in Sunshine Place last month and talked with the person in charge, Debie, there.
My 1st impression is quite good. The place is clean and organized. They even teach keyboard for K1 students.
Besides, i also visited MMI in Beauty World. My impression is: Dirty, Messy, Noisy. Most of the teachers are philipinos :p
I think i will enrol my kid to Kinderland. So far not yet short-list any other kindergarten except for Kinderland.
Any mummies have recommendation?

Yes, I agree with you that the school is neat and clean-looking and I've talked to Debbie who is patient in answering all my questions.

Last year, I've checked out that place for the pre-nursery programme but did not signed up for it due to several reasons.

Firstly, the classrooms for pre-N seems rather small, this would mean limited movement and exploration for the little one which I think its not too good for their overall development. Maybe I'm someone who likes space and find their school premise rather crammed and stifling.

Plus it has a reputation for being good at "curriculum", I do not want my child to "STUDY" too much and too early at 2 yo.

Coming next year, I am contemplating of exposing my child to more rigorous academic stuff, hence Kinderland is one of my choice. Given quoted rather high school fees, I do not know if their Nursery curriculum(3 hours only) is really that good to justify that price??

As compared to some CC(say half day around 6 hours), the cost(after subsidy) of putting our child there is about the same. That's why hopefully some parents of existing or previous Kinderland students can enlighten us.

Hi Shyarion,
My colleague's daughter is currently in Kinderland Woodlands branch.
He feel that his daughter learn nothing much from the kindergarten.
Ask her what did she learn in school everyday, her answer is mainly "play this and that"
Although it is $1k++/term, but they usually collect money every 2 months++..
they used to have outing but the cost is about $100-$200 which he think is pretty high.
Anyway, maybe different branch different management..
Ya, hope other mommy with their kid in Kinderland CCK able to share some comments with us.

My #2 attended Kinderland from K1 till K2. When she was at another childcare before K1, that childcare did not teach her much. But once she attended Kinderland, can see her improving and learning lots. When she started P1 last year, she was well advanced in her studies and fully prepared for P1.

Currently, my #3 attends Kinderland too. She started from Pre-Nursery stage. Many people have commented that her verbal communication skills are quite advanced for a 3-yr child. From what I understand, due to the child's tender age, they teach alot through play at the PN & nursery stage. When they get promoted to higher level, then the academics will be more advanced.

For outings, it is usually only about $20-$30 per trip. Sometimes abit more, other times lesser. Depends on the place they are visiting and whether the school needs to prepare pack lunch.

When I have issues, all I need to do is to ring the Principal and she will take the necessary action. So far I am very pleased with the teachers and principal there.

A good kindergarden / childcare is a must have if you want your child to be fully prepare for P1 and to excel.

p/s: I used to be those anti-enrichment classes type of parent. But once you experience the education system the children go through now, you will start to realise that enrichment is a "MUST HAVE". By the time the child is in P1, she must have a very good foundation in reading, writing and comprehending English and Chinese. Maths already got 2-step problem sums and heuristic questions. English and Chinese exams comprises of Paper 1 (Composition - minimum 50-words) and Paper 2 (Exam topics, Grammar, Comprehension). In addition, there is all the project work like "show & tell", etc. These project work marks are taken into the total score at end of the year. Not forgetting all the E-Learning assignments the kiddos have to complete during their school holidays. Very pressurizing to study in SG.

Hi 3Jems,
Thank you very much for yr sharing!!
Indeed very useful for me!! Now i have no doubt to enrol her to kinderland =)
I do agree with u, enrichment is very important for the kids and really pressurizing for kids nowadays.
I think after they go to P1, we might be even pressure than them..
Btw, yr #2 is in kinderland CCK branch?

Hi Carol,

My #2 is now in De La Salle Primary. My #3 is currently in Kinderland childcare @ CCK Lot 1 branch.

I've never had any issues with the Kinderland Childcare. Their education is quite well rounded cos besides a steep focus on academics, they also have music lessons, learn thru play, etc. My gals always come home happy. HTH's.

Hi 3Jems,
Yr #3 is in half day or full day child care?
How much does it cost?
Our kid ll learn more in CC compare to 3 hours nursery programme?

Carol,

#3 is in full day childcare. After govt subsidy for FTWM, I still need to pay about $700 per month (using the baby bonus $$). Once the baby bonus runs out... then this $700 will hv to be paid in cash.

To me does not matter whether is full day CC or 3-hours kindy program. Cos my older gals also used to go for those 3-hours kindy programs @ Apple Tree. That was a good kindergarden school too. The important thing is the method of teaching and the quality of teachers.

Most people opt for full day CC cos both parents work full time and they got no one to help. However, if the mommy is a SAHM, putting the kiddos into 3-hours program is good too.

All boils down to individual preference and $$$ constraints.

Thank you 3Jems for sharing, I have a better idea of Kinderland now. Indeed, studying in SG is stressful!!! and ensuring your kids excel require lots of effort from the parents and school.

Before I gave birth, I am like you, I always wonder why those parents are so "crazy", everytime send kids here and there for enrichment. But I have been with my son for weekend enrichments since he was 10 months old, hahaha...looks like I've become crazy too. Going for enrichments have become a fun thing to do in our family.

Heard that Kinderland @Sunshine Place is a Franchise... so there might be a difference in management style and school curriculum?? Hopefully its equally good like what you've mentioned.

For me, if half day CC(6 hours) fees almost similar to 3 hours kindy programme, it would make a difference to me. I might be able to make plans to take on something part-time to supplement the household income.

The most important thing is that my child can keep a positive learning attitude in school and the teachers there must really be concerned about the child.

A conducive environment and good teachers will surely make our children into happy learners.=)

hi there mummies!
this is a 5-6 mths dated thread...hope i can revive it.
happy.gif

I'm like all of you 5-6 mths ago, in frantic search of a playgrp/pre-nursery/nursery (watever the terms...so confusing! :p) now. Keke!
My boy is now 22 mths (2010 baby) and initially, my idea was to find a playgrp for him to spend 2hrs daily to gain some independence. So I was looking at Talent Plus or Tots House at Bt Panjang CC. Commencement schedule was either final term (fm Sept) or Jan '13.
Then I realise they dun hv Pre-nursery options which means I hv to find another school for him a year later ~ too much hassle and re-adjustment for him again, i thought. Thus I looked ard again, and noticed options like Kinderland, MMI, Zoo phonics, Orange Tree, Learning Vision.

Kinderland does sound quite good, though I've not personally paid a visit to the Sunshine Place branch. Fees are definitely on the high side, as observed by most. :p
I'm evaluating between their 3hrly daily prog (flexi-hrs) and half-day care.
I've been quoted $1,059.30 (10 weeks) for their 3hrly prog.
1. May I know if this is eligible for MCYS Flexible Programme subsidy ($110)? If so, how do I derive the deduction, as the above quote is not a monthly fee?
2. Is anyone on their half-day care program? What's the fee like, after subsidy?

Sorry for asking the questions here, as it's hard to gather more info fm them over the phone (they seem to be rushing to end the call) and i can't get away fm work recently to make enquiries onsite with them.

thanks in advance mummies! ;)

Hi there, JO. I can help you inquire, I got some time. I'm curious about those pre-schools too. Zoo Phonics and such.

Phonics training here actually damages a child's true reading ability.
(see my post at http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/36738/453198.html?1341828178)
Moreover, the Phonics system failed miserably in England (where it originated from). Sadly, private schools in Singapore take that "England" brand name and sucker everybody here for it.

Why am I interested in Phonics for pre-schoolers? I'm curious to know if it's possible to adapt my system for them.

Thus far, I had only taught reading skills to discerning students (8 years old and above). Pre-schoolers just wanna play, no discipline; getting "results" from them mean just bluffing them into happy playtime bliss so they tell their parents "this school is great for me!". At least that's what all the pre-schools here do, those that I've seen (including Zoo Phonics; Montessori in Serangoon teaches Singlish with a vengeance).

Let me inquire about those pre-schools for you? Do you just need babysitters, or are you looking at developing reading skills as well?

But from what I've recently discovered about "I Can Read" (pre-school to primary 6, reading skills school), you might find it more realistic to depend on the "babysitting function", rather than rely on any actual "reading skills development". (See my post about Dr Diane McGuiness).

Lastly, isn't leaving your child with a relative much safer and possibly even more educational/productive? What's the point of leaving your child with scores of other Singlish-speaking toddlers?

I don't want my children to end up learning Singlish in pre-schools. Singlish is only understood in Singapore! Same problems in USA too, actually. In crude speak, we often hear parents say they "don't want kids learning to talk maid (Spanglish)".

3Jems wrote:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

In addition, there is all the project work like "show &amp; tell", etc. These project work marks are taken into the total score at end of the year. Not forgetting all the E-Learning assignments the kiddos have to complete during their school holidays. Very pressurizing to study in SG.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Interestingly, my students (and myself in my own work settings) have gotten ridiculously high scores for such "show and tell" segments. And it all boils down to 1 main factor: enunciation. ;-)

Yeah, call it unfair; some say students with that "foreign touch" have that extra advantage. ("foreign touch as in like "hey your parents studied in fashionable/cool schools overseas, is it?"). Students who sound like they came right out of movies seem to have that "movie-like charisma". And the Singlish-speaking teachers get so mesmerized, they just give an unreasonable boost to the scores.

I'm currently churning out a lot of foreigners able to speak "movie English" (foreigners from China, hospitality contracts in bulk). I fear a time when my children encounter an education system that glamorizes enunciation more than solid, grounded skills in writing prose.

I thought only the teenagers are obssessed with sounding "movie". Didn't realize the teachers get smitten by that too.

So, if you want a "quick fix" to supposedly raise the charisma of your child, and subsequently the "project work scores", just let him/her spend 3-4 months perfecting his spoken English. Yes, all folks from China learn that in 3-4 months. Welcome to the "brave new world". Scares me very often too.

(PS: Please don't blame me for indirectly handing hospitality jobs to foreigners; they do learn fast. Hunger makes people learn quickly.)

hi jo! I enquired on site at kinderland marine parade n got quoted this. $570 per month eligible for govt subsidy. so it's $460 per month. The principal/supervisor sharon is nice to note that if u are eligible for cefas or something like that which is further subsidy then she ask to apply. Reg is $160, one month deposit and one mth fee. Plus insurance $5+ and school uniform.. HTH!

Back