****Help!!How to remove the funny taste in Frozen EBM?****

ching22

Hi,

How to remove the funny taste in the frozen EBM?

My son wouldn't wan to drink the frozen milk. Pls help!!

Thanks..

my daughter too, but can't do anything since frozen.

i research on several websites as well, before freezing, lightly heat up the milk (until you can see small bubbles surfacing, then quickly turn off the heat), this way it will kill the lipses in the milk which cause the milk to have a sour/metallic taste. However this method will kill some of the good bacterias and the nutritional level is lower.

i dun know if you noticed that the plastic bag itself already smells?

i used FIRST YEAR milk bag storage and noticed that the plastic smell is very strong. but i still stored my milk.

and yes my baby rejects frozen EBM too. and theres like 30 packs!

HI Mummies, i have the similar experience too. Use good quality milk bag or milk bottles for storage.

I used the cheap cheap milk bag n hv storng plastic smell, the smell is worse after the heating process. Since then, i dont dare to use too cheap milk bag.

It's difficult to store with milk bottles due to space limitation in my freezer.

Which brands of milk bags is considered gd?

Currently using blue egg milk bags.

Gt Boots milkbag. Otherwise lanisoh if can afford.

to remove smell before freezing BM, boil ur ebm until the side has little bubbles (abt 1min will do), cool & freeze.

*Confuse* I hv not been boiling the EBM before freezing. it shouldnt be the way as it kills nutrition. Once it is warmed, i hv to feed my baby or else hv to discard it.

@Ching22: i actually tried a few brands of milk bag and found the new brand: "ardo easy freeze milk bag" is acceptable to me. It is quite expensive and not easily found. This was given by one of my friend.

Or it could be due the heating proceess , and cause the smell in the EBM? How do you heat the EBM?

Anyone knows not only the milk smells, there are also lots of residues after warming the thaw milk? Y is that so?

Dear mummies,

I am not sure if i am pregnant as it is too early to test but this few days i am having white discharge which is uncommon for me.Is this pregnant symptons or i am actually having so kind of infection.I am so worried as i am trying to conceive.I also pee alot,keep running to the toilet.

Any Mummies went thru this?Need advices.

The residue is probably fats from the hind milk. Need to shake to mix the milk well and the fats will dissolved into the milk once warmed..

Its normal for frozen EBM to have funny smell after thawing. Not due to the plastic storage bags for sure.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

For my son, we feed him this kind of EBM when we are dream feeding him. i.e. feed him when he is asleep. So he can't detect anything. =D Try mixing with fresh EBM might help too.

After this incident, I told myself no pointing storing more milk than my son can drink. It is just a waste of time and effort when he rejects such frozen before EBM.

Hmm.... I don't seems to have this problem on frozen breastmilk leh.

Normally I store in the Medela plastic storage tube suitable for freezing. Sometimes in a Lansinoh milk bag or playtex bag. Normally before I warm up the milk, I will transfer to a container or milk bottle and I use milk warmer.

Hi mummies,

My daughter also is not drinking frozen bm. She's 12weeks old and my fridge supply of frozen bm is at least 60 bottles of avent storage cups. Been using the thaw milk as feet and hand spa this few days.

During my confinement month, I gave some of the frozen bm to my nephew who came back from Australia for holiday. He's 18months old and he's enjoying my frozen bm!

It's not a matter of the milk, it's different babies react differently. Cos all the frozen bm taste weird. No point heating before freezing as will kill all the nutritions.

Now I'm waiting for nephew to be back in June to finish up the frozen milk, so in the mean time, I'll just use the oldest bottles to do my spa everyday. 1day 1 bottle, so at least my fridge will still have the backup supply.

(cos my hubby went to buy a new fridge specially to store all my milk! so dun waste la... :p)

Hi Mommies,

I have an increasing supply of frozen breastmilk as my 3mths old boy is not drinking much. If u all know of anyone who wants any frozen bm, pm me. Btw, how much bm should a 3mths old boy be drinking?

ive read somewhere tht... the smell of EBM is also depending on individually's milk.. meaning.. and.. if ur storing ur milk in a freezer sharing with all those frozen meat.. etc etc.. the smell will somehow affected as well~ so yah it's good i f u can get a diff freezer for ur own EBM or store ur EBM in a special container before u store in the freezer~ ^_^ hope it helps..

I guess all EBM have smell, so there is no point boiling them or using good bags.

My first baby drank all EBM. With my second one, he rejected EBM. It took him quite a while (after we threw many bags) before he finally accepted EBM and drank them all at once. And it's true too.. my baby tends to accept EBM when he is half asleep (at night).

So what Charleen said is true... different babies react differently to EBM.

My gal oso refuse to drink EBM. I get to know tat fresh BM is creamier than frozen ones. Babies are very smart nowsaday. I got to throw away all the EBM

I froze ebm in the plastic medela bottles and the smell was very strong. Switched to glass bottles and Pigeon milk bags. No more smell! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi mummies, sorry abit off topic but decide to ask here since u guys are bm experts!! my edd is coming soon n I know nuts about bm storage and prep. Can anyone give me a step by step advice? I know and prepared te following so far:

1. I got an small electronic breast pump, also bought some avent wide neck bottles ( wat else do I need? The nurse will teach me how to pump?)

2. I have some plastic milk bottle looking bottles which state for breastmilk storage ( do I store in freezer? How to heat up for baby to drink? What is the simplest way? Bottle can microwave? )

3. I bought some nursing bras n pajamas and disposable bra pads

4. I started applying Vaseline daily to soften the skin

5. Is there anyway to slp thru the night without expressing bm yet wont get engorgement?

6. Any shortcuts or tips?

Thx! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Frozen milk will always have a strong metallic taste and some babies are fine with it while others will reject. There's nothing we can do. Individual baby preference. Yes, frozen one will have tiny white milk residue after warming whereas fresh one doesn't have. Dun nid to store so much milk in excess and tired urself out. Best is fresh. For my 1st child, i used to spend a lot of money buying milk bags and freezer, ends up giving away a lot of frozen ebm as he couldnt finish. So for my 2nd one, I've decided not to freeze so much, just enough for 1-2days supply, just in case. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back