HEAR MY STORY: AN UNFORGIVABLE DOCTOR'S NEGLIGENCE

rachel90

THIS IS MY STORY AND A COMPLAINT LETTER I AM GOING TO LODGE TO THE SINGAPORE MEDICAL COUNCIL AGAINST THIS PEDIATRICIAN. (READERS, PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS ISSUE)

RE: Complaint against a Pediatrician who neglect his medical duties—
failure to detect a newborn’s cleft palate condition at birth.

I am extremely displeased, horrified and upset with the pediatrician, who examined my newborn at the hospital. He did not discover that she has a congenital disorder--- Cleft palate. My baby is therefore discharged as a healthy baby. We don't know problems are on its way—very soon.

At the hospital- 30 August to 1 September 2008

My poor newborn has not been able to latch on since birth. There are many efforts from the lactation nurses but still in vain. Milk is coming out of the nose and she's gasping for breath when she drinks. NOBODY care to find out the underlying cause. I ask for help but the nurses say burp the baby will do as there's too much wind in her stomach.

How my baby suffer….. How our family suffer…..

Does anybody know my poor baby is suffering in silence each time she drinks her milk? She is hungry, she is always crying. She wants to suck the bottle teat for that little drop of milk, but all the teats are too hard for her.

I tried all sorts of teats until I gave up and cut the holes big enough for milk to flow into her mouth. She just swallowed and swallowed.... Finally she can sleep well with a full meal.

However, this is not the end….. the milk keep coming out from her nose during and after each feeding. And she will cry out loud because she is suffering in pain. She is out of breath. Every day and night was too distressing for all of us. I would jump out of bed in the middle of night to check if she would choke on her breathing, check if milk comes out from her nose again. It’s so tiring so stressful.

8 October 2008- My baby visited a pediatrician due to flu

This cleft palate is only discovered later by another pediatrician. I have consulted other doctors and a cleft surgeon who told me that if this is discovered much later (after 1 year or more) will have serious consequences. Speech development will be much hindered, middle ear infection leading to hearing loss etc... Such consequences are very detrimental. How can newborn examination be taken so lightly? I am very certain that the pediatrician has neglected his duties and may lead to possible extent of damages to my newborn and our family.

The emotional stress we are going through can be prevented right from the start if the hospital PD has not neglect his duties. Should we be informed she has cleft palate initially, our family will not be going thru so much frustration, confusion and distress. My baby will not be going thru so much physical suffering in silence. Now I am using a special bottle and teat and being advice on correct feeding method for cleft palate babies. It’s such a relief and at last my girl can drink her milk PEACEFULLY...................

(I am considering of filing a medical lawsuit claim against this PD too. Readers and Mothers, I hope to hear some advice from you all too)

Thank you

this is quite serious. Can u pm me the pd and the hosiptal? I think this thing needs to bring it up and prevent such incident happens again

Hi Rachel,

u and ur family must have gone thru a lot. Luckily u hv found out now & not much later. Possible to PM me the pd & hospital too?

Hi Rachel,

I seriously think you should bring up the matter or write to forum and demand for an explanation. This is a life and doc negligence can have such detrimental and permanent damage caused to a child who need not hv to suffer if detected early. Esp for newborn who din feed well, gasping for breathe...I think too much really!

Hi Rachel,
When I read your posting, tears welled up in my eyes coz I am also a mummy and knows the pain when sees our little one suffers. I have no comments on whether an explanation is needed but I just want to thank God that the other PD has discovered the problem and now baby can drink her milk in peace without struggling.... Please give your baby a kiss on my behalf for being so courageous
happy.gif

Thank you readers for listening to me. Just to let you know we are coping well now and moving on....

My girl is ready for surgery when she is 6 months. now she is only 2 months. I really find her very brave to have endure it through. It pains my heart still when I recall those times she is suffering.

Have alrdy went to medical council to lodge complaint. but outcome will take 6-9 months. (I wonder why so long? )

I am still hesitating for a lawsuit cos it involves huge amount of stress and $$$. But i am meeting a lawyer this saturday to see how are the chances of winning. I really can't let this matter rest so easily. Its too much!

Hi Rachel,

So sorry to hear about this. Hope your baby is fine and you must stay strong too. Guess if I were you I would also do the same. Can you pm me the name of this pd? Would not want to consult him.

Hi Rachel,

SMC (Singapore medical council) takes such a long time as they need a investigation committee then a disciplinary committee before they can come back to you on the charge.

You gal will grow up healthy and strong. Jia you

PM me the name of your PD and clinic can. Thanks

I wonder if I can post the name and clinic of the doctor on this forum. I am quite new so not sure.

Is it disallowed? I am thinking of also writing to the straits time forum regarding this case. But can I disclose the name of the doctor and clinic?

Anyone to advise me?

Cheers,
Rachel

Rachel, feel so bad for your girl.. it must be hard for you too.. I mean when my baby had any problem.. we also frustrated and want to find out the cause. Worried for them as they are so young and fragile and could not tell us their feelings and what they going through.

Appreciate you can pm me your PD and clinic. Hope its not any nearby my place. Definitely blacklist it

Hi Rachel,
I'm so sorry that this awful incident had happened to your girl and your family. Thank goodness that she is now well and you all are coping well.

Please do edit your post and leave out the name of the doctor as well as the clinic's name. It is consider defamation if you post it in a public forum.

Hi lostinthots,

Really defamation ah? I am stating all the facts, every word is the truth. But to avoild unneccessary problems, I just leave it out first lor.

I will consult a lawyer tmr. If its really a case of negligence, I will sue the doctor for our pain and sufferings demanding a compensation.

Yes, I had came across quite a few cases whereby lawyers letters was served to the administrator to divulge the true identity of the forumers (not this forum though) and yes even though it is the truth. To be safe just pm will do.
You should have a strong case there, hang on there!

Hi Rachel,

Can try Pm me again. I have enable the PM function.

How's your case now? Any updates?

Rachel
after reading ur posts, i felt so painful for u, family n ur ger. It had been such a trying time for everyone. It must have been stressful to see ur ger not able to drink n slp well due to her pain and difficulty to cope. U have been a great mummy to want to give the best of everything to ur ger and minimise her pain and discomfort. I hope that ur case will win and the gynae/pd whichever accompanied u during ur 9m pregnancy n not notice or given due care to check the bb be dealt w proper procedures/license be suspended/revoked.

Please let me know the negligent gynae/pd/hospital n the experienced pd who discovered ur ger' suffering.

Dear all frens,

The wonderful Paediatician who is indeed patient and caring is:

Dr Ellen Tay
Paediatric Centre
Hougang Mall

Hi Rachel
Sorry to hear about your news. What is the advise from your lawyer?

Btw, appreciate if you can pm me the pd and the hospital.

hi rachel,

so upset to hear that.. gd thing that u sought advice from another pd and prevented that dreadful serious consequences.

i wish to know more abt tt hospital n pd name too. pls pm me, k? thanks in advance.

Dear Frens,

Quite alot of you has been asking me to update on the lawsuit thing...

The lawyer was not optimistic about this case and advise me to drop the charges. Reason being, there is no tangible damages done to my baby. Meaning also the psychological damage is not too serious. Unless the serious consequences has alrdy happened ( speech defect and hearing loss...) then there is stronger chances of winning. Advise me that its not worth to fight the lawsuit cos alot of stress and $$$ involved unless my damages are really serious.

*I am quite upset when I heard this*

IF, the SMC has not punished the doctor despite my complaint, I am RESOLVED to BLOW this matter OUT OF PROPORTION.

MOTHERS OR WHOEVER OUT THERE, victims of DOCTOR'S NEGLIGENCE, lets gather and FORM OUR OWN SUPPORT GROUP !!! Let the Media and Press come to know all our cases and break all these arrogant doctors' rice bowls.

One case alone is not enough to get the attention of the media or public. Only we stand together then there will be GREAT IMPACT.

Hi Rachel,

The PD who was negligent should not go away scott free. Have you confronted the PD? At the very least, the PD should be reprimanded by SMC (if SMC has the power). If not, he should not be allowed to continue his practice.

Can you PM me the PD's name and the hospital who made the mistake? Thanks for sharing/

Hi Rachel,

So sorry to hear about this.
Can you PM me the PD's name and the hospital as well?
Thanks for sharing.

Hi Rachel,
You should write to all the newspapers. You can leave out the name (reduce defamation probability). If the papers find ur case worth the effort to to investigate, they will contact you.

Should Q the SMC ethics... The we pay sky high price for PD for what. For them to be negligent?

hi rachel...
sorry to hear what happen to your baby... u mind pm me the name of the pd, so i can avoid.

yup u might want to write or call to the newspaper.... telling them what happen... if they need it is real case they will publish ... then u have a better case... i think some lawyer know for some case if the case is not too serious they will advise us to avoid coz the cost is super high... but that does not need we sould just keep quiet....

all the best to your family...

Thank you for all your kind advice. I hv alrdy lodge complaint to the medical council and also to TMC.

I hv demanded them to fully refund me the hospital bills... abt 3k. This is aiming at the nurses for failure to address the symptoms of cleft palate when I did mention the problems to the nurses.

The corporate manager and nursing director showed emphathy and feel sorry that such serious mistake could actually happened. They hv not get back to me regarding the investigation outcome but I think they shld be able to give me a good explanation and perhaps refund.

As for the PD, I hv file a serious complaint to both the hospital and medical council. I want him to be warned/punished for being so irresponsible/negligence. Until now, I still can't believe he can overlook on such a thing.

If the investigation outcome turns out to be unfavourable to me, YES, I will definitely call up/write to ALL the newspapers and media.

At least I will have my "revenge" if all else fails! I agree with Misa, pay sky high price for them to be negligent?

Hi Frens,

Today the Negligent doctor called me up. Still dare to tell me the cleft palate might not be visible when my baby is borned.

So I let him continue his "bla bla bla lame lame" explanation before I said my piece.

I retorted: " Doctor, my maid has saw the cleft palate when my baby cried. She knew it was a cleft palate, a kind of birth defect. She dared not tell me becos my maid is afraid of offending me. My maid is very aware of cleft babies and kids becos in indonesia there are many cleft babies who left untreated as they hv no money. I felt so stupid to trust all these medical professionals in the 1st place. I saw the cleft but I tot its normal. So silly of me. So what do you have to say doctor ??""

The doctor paused and lower his voice. "" I am not saying its not my fault, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I will get back to you again.""

By the way, the hospital wish to see my husband and I on next week. I will see what kind of explanation they are going to give me.

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear about this. Thank God that you managed to discover it early before any serious consequences.

Can you please PM me the PD's name and the hospital as well?

Thank you.

woah Rachel...this is so distressing!

The people involved must give you an explanation. If it negligence, there must be action against them. Else it is just too easy for them. Hope you can seek your redress soon!

Can PM me the name of the PD and the clinic? I suppose the hospital in question is TMC?

Hi Rachel,

We will pray for your girl and your family.
happy.gif

I would also appreciate it if u could share with me the details of the PD. Thanks in advance.

Be strong and take good care.

Rachel,

Can u PM me the PD too? thanks.
I hope the hospital and PD will give u a satisfactory explainations. Shld make the PD pay for the medical bill too.

Dear Frens,

Thank you for your concern. Hv been busy recently. So far the hospital side has been very sincere in apologising to our family.

The Chief Operating Officer, Director of Nursing, and Nursing educator have visited us at my house. They gave a hamper and explain to us how the incident happened this way. They promised that they will change the way things work and will do the neccessary prevention.They also did a refund of my hospital and PD bills.

The thing I am satisfied with, is their sincerity to come all the way to my house and give a thorough explanation cum apologies. Its not the nurses who came, its the directors and COO... You felt that you are valued.

Now I just hope to concentrate on taking care of my girl. Too tired to think of anything else.......

Rachel, I feel so sorry for ur little gal.. i bet its really a torture for such a small baby lo.. Can you PM me the hospital, PD and details.. OMG!! thats so scary lo.. things like these could have been avoided from e start de..

Hi Rachel,
Sorry to hear this happen to your girl.
Do you mind PM me the details of PD and hospital?

Thank you

Rachel
It is good to learn that the hospital is genuinely apologising for her team of staff that r not thorough/careful when taking care of ur bb. Hope u r feeling better
happy.gif

Rachel,
I'm sorry to read about what you, your family and especially your ger had gone thru. I truly am with you coz my elder boy also suffered at birth and had to fight for his life for the 1st 48 hrs, but after consulting the lawyer and sought many professionals' opinions, they felt that I don't have a strong enough case!

I am also planning to give birth in TMC for my 2nd pregnancy next yr. Can you pm me the name of the PD? I am currently also using one of the PDs in TMC for my elder boy. Cross my fingers and hope he/she is not the same one!

hi there,

sorry to hear abt wat the irresponsible PD has done to you and ur family.

can someone PM me the name of the scary PD? thanks in advance!!

Back