Happycall recipe!

I tried Salmon, and it turned out perfect w crispy skin. I spread some sea salt on the salmon first. For normal fish, maybe put some corn flour/seasoning flour
1st, would it help the skin to be crispy?

Happycall, maybe unless the deeper size then can put more oil to achieve better effect? The standard size is more to pan fried?

hi all, been away a bit but mom has been cooking nearly everyday w the pan.

erm, Piyo, i also suspect ur pan is not hot enough. like the 1st time i made egg skin w the pan, it doesn't brown nicely. the subsequent pieces came out better because the pan was hot enough. I suggest drop one drop of oil into the pan. when u see bubbles start forming at the bottom of the oil, then put the fish in. But seasoning of the fish w salt etc u may still have to do lah. Making sure the skin side is dry may also help.

jenny - my understanding is that the smell n oil splashes (if used) will b there, it is jus that it is now contained within the pan n hence reduced.

oh I also learnt my lesson, must open the right way up (rubber seal on top) then the seal won't come out. :D

hi mrs chew,

heating the pan 1st shld not b any problem. Prolonged preheating an empty pan would b. If u got the english manual from Baobei, the instructions caution agst prolonged pre-heating.

Ok, thanks.

I already got the manual from baobei and I thought can't preheat.

Think I better read one more time. Hehehe...

Thanks for the explanation,

My mandarin/Korean manual says the same about preheating too... Cannot preheat without contents in pan.

I realize the HC I have doesn't trap heat, it heats fast and cools fast too. The fire really needs watching and you need to learn the pan... Can't leave unattended like those pans with heavier base, no doubt HC base is not light but the transfer of heat is higher to contents in pan.

I cook stingray with steam fish chilli today...also fried long bean (is those shorter type not sure the name) with oyster sauce...cook time is short and I no need to mop the floor after frying the veg...

For Stingray - normally I use oven to bake and it take me 20mins - 30mins to cook...but with this 10 - 15mins will do..I use the smallest fire..

a bit of oil (can no need also cos I 1st time try so I put)
stingray (slice half of the meat up..the other half with the bone)
some steam fish chilli...or sambal chilli also can

is more like steam stingray...just panfried the stingray..flip...see about cook..put the chilli on the fish...close.. I did turn the fish myself...make sure all with chilli and heat a while and place on a plate with the chilli pour over it...the fish is nicer than I use oven bake or steam with wok...very juicy..but also provided fish is fresh...

as for the veg I use a bit oil to fried the beans..shake and flip..then add in fresh mushroom then oyster sauce...and heat a while and serve..the beans are also as crunchy as I use normal wok to stir...

impt is I no need to scrub the wok after fried and mop the kitchen floor...I get all done in 20-30mins time...cos I use the smallest fire and also cleaning up before cook another dish..everyone eat with smile...I also try botakmum receipe on the bread toast..wow..yummy...they love it so much...with the cheese melt..wow..

Hi i have a question. My mum has been using HC pan for some time. She notice the rubber grip expands and becomes loose each time she cooks. Do we hv to cut e rubber grip in order to fit e groove of e pan?

Ah Net: THe smell and smoke has gone away. Maybe coz first time I use, I got no instruction manual as I can't read korean n I washed with soap and cook it immediately.

I tried cooking french toast on sun with very little oil n turn out to be so disgusting. Very dry n plain n taste like plain bread. So at nite when my husband cook cod fish I ask him to put more oil then turned out quite ok. Mon I tried prawn omelette with quite some oil but in the end the oil dripped out when I flipped the pan. Also dun turn out nice, taste like steam eggs instead of pan fried ones.

But no choice I have to use this to cook coz my baby wun give me time to cook. As I'm bfing, I also cannot make myself smell of oil and smoke. So with this pan, I just wake up 15 min earlier and cook (prepare ing the nite before). So goodbye to the soups I have been drinking for more than 3 whole mths. =)

Hi Jenny,

I do understand how difficult it is for u. I used to have to do the same thing when we were staying in the states, nursing bb and ferrying the older ones to and fro school, and cooking.

I think the issue w your happy call usage is that you have not figured out what heat and temperature to cook at. Some dishes need mayb small fire and others mayb medium fire. Some need warmer pans and for others mayb not impt. What I usu do is to drip jus one or two drops of oil into the pan and if i see tiny bubbles forming at the bottom of the pan, it usu means it is warm enough to cook most things n leave a crispy skin. We (my mom n I) practically don't add any other oil to our food since we started cooking using the happy call. I think the oil drip is due to too much oil being used and also u were cooking w the bottom side 1st right? try doing the reverse and also when u flip the pan, tilt it slightly towards u so that the oil stays in the pan n not leak from the vent.

How do u do ur french toast? Sounds to me it might be more of a marinating problem than the pan cooking. I have not tried french toast w the pan but ours is done w eggs, soya and sugar and dripping wet when we put into the pan. if u dare, taste the marinade before cooking w it to make sure there's enough taste.

For soups, can i suggest that u get a slow cooker? Pressure cooking is also good but still need a fair bit of stove time so in ur position, ur best bet could b a slow cooker. Pre-cut and prep your ingredients the night before when mayb hubby or someone is ard to help w the bb, pop into the slow cooker w water n put it on high heat for a while (when u see water boiling can alr) then put it on low to cook overnight or cook in the morn for the evening. U may jus go n clear off the froth if cooking w meat but the soup is usu done by 8 hours of cooking and u can turn off the slow cooker if u want or leave it on low for dinner.

multi-layer steaming is another thing u can also do.

I hope u'll b able to find ways to make food tt's nutritious and nice for u n ur family. Ur body needs good food to produce good milk for bb and strength for u. :D

Take care and Wishing u well!

HI all

I tried to 'cook' vietnamese sweet potatoes today but didn't turn out well.

Although I set the fire between low n medium, they were still burnt. The sweet potatoes were cooked but they didn't taste as nice as steamed ones.

Did I do anything wrong???

Hi redmil744 (milrednaloj),

my mom has experienced the same thing. Manual also talks about heat expansion causing the rubber seal to become loose and needing to trim it. Since trimming to fit it in, ours is now working fine.

hth.
happy.gif

Jenny
I have two kids, still bf-ing #2.

Food steamer, and thermal pot might help us without domestic maid, as well as portable vacuumm cleaner for home use, and of course happycall pan. You can get some premix sauce hence it helps in preparing simple dishes.

hi all
have tried panfried fish fingers...

the flipping is a mess, all the contents that i laid out proper is all jumble up...

so got to turn them manually...

but heng not as messy/oily as previously using those normal frying pan...

anyone bought the 4pc set?
wanted to know if the stars on the stir-fry pan is solid white color or not solid white?

@ mrs chew...I think for this pan to cook sweet potato is more to something like bbq in the charcoal type...if steam the taste might not be there..cos steam we got water in wok then steam and water vapour surround so it make the sweet potates more moist...but if only in oven or this pan...is a bit dry...

@ ah net - yup fire control is impt...for certain dishes must use med fire...some use small fire...but once it got heat up...all are easy....mine the rubber also pop out that day..but I didnt trim...I actually take out to wash after cook...cos it seem like a bit oily when I do oil stuff...then I put back...is like put both end at the start point of both side...press down and move to the bottom corner then just normal press down..it works for me...and I using the method of rubber side on top and now it didnt pop out...

today I try making roast pork..wow..I got shock..haha..cos I saw botakmum say high fire..only starting I heard pop pop sound...I fast lower the fire...then I know I put too much oil...but it is really yummy man...my grandma try it..and she say is nice..only that maybe I put too much salt together with five spices so a bit salty...but really nice cos I dun eat roast pork outside one cos a bit dry...but this time I try..wow the meat is juicy...

Ah Net: My baby is very fussy n cries whole day. I got prob with eating, so dare not think of cooking at all. I do have a slow cooker and over these three months, I've been asking my husband to cook soup in there before he goes to work.

I don't marinate my egg batter but I do it the same as when I cook using my wok. Wok fried ones taste really nice and crispy but the HC turned out to be very dry, which I think is due to too little oil n not enough time for heating up.

Thanks a lot for ur well wishings. =D

SB: Thanks a lot. Now with HC, I can cook and eat well. =)

Today I tried frying threadfin fillet and this time, I pour oil in and use a brush to spread out the oil. In this case, the oil is well distributed and I dun have to use a lot of oil. Just fry abt 5 min on each side.

Princesspiggy: Sounds very delicious. Must see when got chance to go market. I'll buy the pork n try. The NTUC pork super disgusting, so oily and yucky!

@ Jenny - Yup...is very nice..ya ntuc one cant make it....haha...my dad bought from market..1 piece almost $8 - $10..depends on personal...I thought he buy one too much fats and less meat..but is nice..didnt eat often is ok la..cos too much meat also very stiff not that nice...

@ Ah Net: thanks for the enlightenment. Was so worried that if trimming was normal for HC pan. Does this occurs frequently (i.e. have to trim each time the rubber expands) or just trim just this once and it'll good to use.

Jenny

I also used to make soup using pressure cooker. The only thing was I used a manual timer to adjust my cooking time and by the time we returned home from work, our soup would be ready. Also with the timer, I would not worry that my soup would over-spill or dry up.

I also used the magic pot to make soup too. Save time, save gas & electricity and most importantly, it is very safe to use. I just boil the soup for 15 mins before i go to work and later transfer the whole pot into the external one. By the time we are home, the soup will be ready. Before we start our dinner, I will just heat up the soup to piping hot temperature in less than 5 mins ( depends on the size of the pot ). My sis has been using the magic pot till today cos she too loves soup but got no time to boil as she needs to take care of three kids w/o any helpers. My mom's better, she also use this magic pot to make steam cake.

Maybe you can try this method too.

Hi Jenny

I'm actually referring to the thermal magic pot below:

http://www.thefind.com/appliances/browse-thermos-thermal-cooker

There are many brands in the market now. The only minus point is if you want to have those 'thick' cantonese type of soup, i feel that the slow pressure cooker is better. If you don't mind those consistency, this magic pot is great. The promotor told me that she could even cook bee hoon but I never tried. My mom instead experiment many types of cooking with the pot and she was pleased! She made oxtail stew and braised pork even.

Mrs Chew, may I know which brand and capacity of magic pot that you are using? I would like to get one also, but there are simply too many brands in the market and the price a lot different as well.

I would like to use it mainly for soup and sometime stew chicken, for family of 3 adults + 1 toddler, what is the recommended size? Just afraid 3L is too big for stew chicken, but seems in the market, most of it are in larger capacity, some even up to 7L.

Hi,

Tried to prepare chicken thigh using my HC Pan yesterday.

Marinate with some garlic powder & 5 spice powder for about 2 hr.

Smelled very nice BUT abit bland. Haha... Maybe I should rub some salt onto the thighs before adding the powders.

Juicy, tender meat BUT the thighs are not fully cooked near the joints area. I cooked for about 15 mins which I think quite long & the thighs are turning brown & slightly burnt. So I dare not cook too long. My hb says the skin is nice cos abit crispy.

What is the problem in my cooking? anyone can help?

Thanks!

Mrs Chew,

I always very tempted 2 get a Tiger magic pot during Isetan Sales! Like very gd, can cook on it's own, save electricity or gas meaning save $$!

Hw does the soup taste? Is it same as using slow cooker or by gas? Cos I heard friend say taste not as gd as using gas. She even say slow cooker aso tastes not nice. Gas the best! Haha... But I disagree la, I use both methods, both r nice.
happy.gif

Kopi teh

I bought the Tiger brand, 5 or 6L I think. Can't remember liao cos bought many years ago.

If you wish to do two dishes at a time, you may look into the Thermos brand cos some of their pots come in the form of two in one.

You can check with the promotor aunty cos they can teach you how to use, what to cook and which one suits you better. Of cos, the size still depends on your family consumption. My mom bought the small one, also tiger brand. It is good for only two ppl who are not big soup drinker. As for my sis, she bought the biggest one.

Esther

When I cook lotus soup in a slow cooker, the soup will turn out thick, brownish and the pork will become super soft. If I cook the same soup using the magic pot, the soup doesn't turn out the same but the pork and lotus are super soft. However, once I reheat the soup, the soup's consistency will change,

I love to make chicken soup using the magic pot. The chicken is so super melting tender and the soup is very yummy too. My husband loves it too.

Honestly, I also dunno which pot makes delicious soup. I have two friends who vouch for AMC pots that cost a fortune, my aunt love to use the black Tanyu clay pot which I also don't deny and my sis loves her magic pot cos it saves her time n gives her convenience esp when she needs to cater to her children's needs every now and then.

Esther

Oh, I forgot. I love to cook those lotus soup using either the Tanyu pot or slow cooker.. As for chicken soup, ABC soup and those that don't need to cook for many hrs type, as well as when I don't have the time to look after the fire or not at home, I will use the magic pot.

Jenny

So sorry. What I meant at my earlier post is I use slow cooker to cook soup using a timer to 'watch the fire' when I was working.

Hi All,

I'm new in this thread here, I juz got my pan this wk & I tried to pan fried chicken thighs this morning to prepare chicken burger for my sons, when I flip the pan, the gravy n some oil dripped out fm the air outlet, why huh? I saw TV demo like no drip no mess at all. Anyone can help, is there a technique in using this pan? Also my son commented the chicken cook using HC pan is not as gd as I use the airfryer. The only thing I'm happy with this pan is the oil does not splatter all over.

Hi Linda

Raise up yr pan slightly higher when u flip. Like that, the sauce will not slip from the air vault.

I aso realize mine aso drip bits of oil when flip. I try tilted towards me abit when flipping. But still drip abit.

Maybe still new using the pan, I still got the habit of opening the lid to check on the chicken thigh! Abit of oil did splash onto my stove... So in the end, I got abit of cleaning 2 do.. Haha.

Will try2 rem not to open so often during my next try.

Mrs Chew, thanks 4 d into on the pots issue. Talking abt lotus soup, long time never prepare! Taste nice! Mu gal loves tis soup.
happy.gif

at first must cook with the side with the back tray on...then flip when needed...then flip back u will see the tray behind got oil or sauce on it..after that no more flipping...if not u will have the oil and sauce dripping on yr stove...

I also didnt knew it...just use any side...at the end my stove all stain with oil...

@ esther... if cooking chicken tigh...no need put oil already..normally meat or chicken they will have some fats and when cooking it will so-called leak from the meat...so no worry of it get burn also...

Princess-piggy, u mean can ONI flip once? Or we can flip flp till we see oil accumulated in the tray then stop flipping? ;p

I din add oil. The oil tat dripped out actually frm the fats. U hv any idea abt the joint area tat nt cook? I time the cooking was 15 mins. Started to get slightly burnt liao tat y I switch off gas.

Chicken thigh size was average leh...

oh ok..I thought u put oil..

nope cant keep flip and flip...

cos the tray to catch the oil that drip from the hole is only 1 side of the pan...u can see the rubber side one is without tray....the one with tray is without rubber...

so 1st cook is the one w/o rubber...then see what you cook...not every dishes need flipping...like the roast pork cant flip...depend on whether u feel a need to flip or not...if u cook fish or chicken tighs....u can estimate...like 3-5mins...start to flip the pan...dun open...then another 3-5mins flip pan...then no more flipping...when u open up the pan u can see the side with rubber is on top...if the rubber side is below..the rubber might just pop out of sudden...and u will also see the tray have some oil already...

like the roast pork we cant flip, cos use medium to high fire to cook the skin and the steam come out from hole will bring some oil and bubble too...therefore cant flip if flip..got to wash the whole stove already...

I have not try this method yet..if need a lot of flipping maybe when there is oil or sauce on the tray maybe we can clean it off then flip it again...normally if the tray got oil and sauce...confirm will drip on stove one if the tray is facing downwards the stove...

did u add any seasoning to the chicken...also fire must not be too high or too low...just below medium a bit will do...also depend what you cook...

maybe u wan to try yr pan with a bit water without starting the fire and u get to know what I mean that the tray got liquid and u flip the liquid will drip on stove and u got to clean...

Hi Mrs Chew,

Thanks! Next time I will try to raise the pan b4 flipping.

I juz read the manual and they did mentioned to remove any water or oil in the oil trap b4 flipping the pan.

Hi princess piggy,

Thanks 4 ur detailed explanation.

I knw wat u mean. During my 1st try, b4 I switch off gas & open the pan, I ensure tat the deeper pan is on the gas, meaning the one without the rubber cos of the oil tray. I tink mine drip oil is bcos I open 2 check the thighs when the shallow pan is on the gas, so oil drip frm the tray which is above.

I must mk sure I rem 'do not open pan unnecessarily'! If not, sure a lot cleaning 2 do! ;p

Thanks Mrs Chew. But think my soup more suitable for slow cooker coz I cook herbal soups.

Today I tried cooking roasted pork and failed complaetely. Asked my husband to buy pork from market then he buy one irregular shape one, the skin there is thinner than the meat. And the meat dunno why very long instead of the normal '3 chen rou'. Then when cooking the pork cannot stand, even if we managed to make it stand we can't close the pan coz too tall. In the end my husband put satay stick to let pork stand and cook with pan opened. Then whole kitchen full of oil and the end result, taste good like normal roasted pork but skin hard like rock, if chew teeth will fall out too. And also middle is not cooked fully, still red. I boiled in water 20 min but the meat is too thick, so I dunno inside not cooked yet.

@ Jenny - when buy must make sure the skin is thick...not too much flesh also...mine also quite thick in height...I press it down by closing the pan then the magnet stick together...yup the skin a bit hard..but if crispy is ok...U use high or low fire?? for boiling part...I boil at high fire...then I use fork to poke it...but be careful...cos the pork when boil a lot of fats come out..so when the meat touch the bottom of the pot of boiling water...it will jump up....

Princesspiggy: My husband lah, always buy wrong stuff back. Haha. This is the first time I saw such irregular shape pork. How long did u fry the skin? My husband say 5 min still not crispy so he fry longer. I use medium fire. And I boil using very boiling water leh. But the meat too much and thick. I asked my husband to buy 2 pieces of pork, one for the roasted pork $8 and the other to 'lu' $15 and the $15 one very nice, skin is broad and lesser meat. Shld have used that to roast instead.

@ Jenny - haha...maybe guy more easy to get con when buying things haha..joking...

I fry longer than 5 mins..cos Botakmum fry on high fire so she use 5 mins...for me I use medium...but after a while I keep hearing pop pop maybe the oil as must put more oil for this dish..I very kiasi one...so I turn a bit low...then med again...on and off doing same thing till golden brown and a bit chao ta colour then I change to side...cos once change to side, cant turn back to fry skin cos of the seasoning...when I open the pan I dun straight away open whole things...I open a bit let the steam come off then slowly open whole thing...

yup sometime too thick need longer time...next time u try use fork or those long stick to poke the meat....normally for me I use this method..I dun base much on time as we use different sizes or portions everytime...so I use poking method...if poke in and out smoothly, I let it cook a while more then take out and dry it...for this roasted pork I found out must have less meat with more fats is nice...not stiff at all...

oh, ya u shld exchange it....for soya sauce I prefer more meat cos we cook long so meat more nice...

oh ya - Last sat, I use this pan to cook the pre-make prata from NTUC...really nice....almost same as the normal pan la...but at least I no need mop and clean the kitchen.... wanted to try make pizza with it...anyone do it before...not sure can make or not...

@ Linda - I didnt go for the video recipes...if u wan, can go online search also..most in eng...actually I feel this pan is a normal pan where u can do most dishes...only that this pan is gd that we can get dishes done fast and no much mess at all...and this pan is best to cook dishes with less liquid...cos of the hole will drip...

princesspiggy: I also dare not use too high fire coz my stove not that good, dun have small fire. Even smallest fire also quite big. Just now I told my mum abt my roasted pork she say must boil longer. She always boil 1 hour when she cook the boiled 3 chen rou. I love to eat her boiled 3 chen rou, no need other dishes. I can eat it plain with rice.

I like to use HC to fry fish, no need to close all the doors and no smelly smell after that. Last time have to close all doors and living room still got smell. Must use perfume to get rid of the smell.

@ Jenny - I only take the dark soya sauce one..other than that I dun like..even this roast pork outside store I dun like..I wont buy...but that day do liao yummy..but still wont eat outside one..haha..oh I know what u mean..yrs maybe is another type of stove...my house one the highest is like the smallest of certain stove...

yeah..my mum use to fry fish...is really nice...u know hor some time fry fish the fish tend to be dry and hard after leaving outside for some time...but this HC cook one..is still nice after some time..

Hi,
s
Use HC Pan to pan fried pork chops for lunch today. Yummy! Not dry though not tat juicy either. But not hard. Side dish with boiled carrots & broccoli. Hee...

Last sun I prepared sweet potatoes. Aso tasted yummy & fragrant!

My next try will be fried fish! :p

Back