Glenn Doman Flash Cards or Join Shicida Method

maglee

Hi

Need advise from all your experiences.

Anyone has tried the GD flash cards. I'm keen but find it expensive. Any views on it?

Alternatively, it's to join the Shicida Method. Also expensive but seems more guided.

pls give me your comments!

thanks
mag

Hi Mag Lee,

I find that both the GD flash card and Shicida Method are expensive also.

So..I bought the GD's book,"Your baby can read".By following the method,I ordered the blank card and write the wording by myself. Well..is a bit extra work but is an economy way.

I've been flashing the card to my baby boy since his 1st mth. Now he is 4mth++ already. So far..he still get excited..like kicking the legs and smiling whenever I flash the card.

thanks kkjoy

I've been thinking about writing the words myself or printing it but it seems like a lot of work.

Do you have a list of words to share?

what about the maths? I know it's dots-based.

where did you buy the blank flash cards?

thanks!

thanks, will definitely try the flash cards.

actually, am thinking of buying the cards from GD. saves time....

hi mag lee and kkjoy, where can we buy the ready set of GD cards? and must we buy every book of his to read first? I've only got one of his books - how to give your child encyclopedic knowledge. hhahaa..

Any classes in SG that uses the GD methods?

thank you for your help!

Hi Cindy,

U may go to this website www.gdbaby.com.sg.

There is a shop in Sin selling GD's materials.Address and tel provided in this link. U may call them for any enquiry. If I am not wrong..occasionally they will have some talk or programme for parents who r interested in GD method.

Hope it helps
happy.gif

Hi KKjoy,
I'm interested in getting the books "How to teach your baby to read". How much does a brand new book cost? Besides gdbaby, any other source?

Thanks in advance.

hi,
The basic GD set cost $950 for the English and Math set and if i remember, there another few more package. I think i gt the namecard but need to find. If you went to the BB fair @ expo, there's actually a GD booth.

If you need to do maths flash cards, you can buy 19mm round circles stickers from popular and placed them randomly. All these details can get from the site that kkjoy has mentioned and you can also view 2 special short video on one of the mum who taught her bb at 7mth 2 wks on the flashcard. You will be very surprised to see a 7mth old bb noe how to identify the cards but i think all these hardwork have to be done by mummies. For SAHM, they can follow according to the GD book which is 3 times per day, but for working mum, think only 1 time per day unless got someone to help
happy.gif

Hi sleepytigger11,

I cant really remember how much is the book cost already..lost the receipt. If I am not wrong..I think is abt SGD29.50.

I will find out for u is there any other source to get the book and hopefully the exact amount of the book also.

Will get back to u asap.

Hi KKjoy,
I have actually called up the GD centre. The English kit including parents' seminar is abt $500. I find it ex, so thinking like you just to read the book first. It would be of great help if you have alternative source, cheaper ones even better hee.eee. Thanks!

Hi kkjoy,

Thanks for searching the website.
I have placed an order but unfortunately it is currently out of stock. Have to wait ...argg...I may come back to you after reading the book. Keep in touch.

Hi,
I just call HiapMoh. They sell the card in
25" x 37" x 100 pcs for SGD46. they wil help u cut the paper into 2 diff sizes. I was requesting the A5 sizes..at the end i will have 1,800 pcs..anyone keen to share ? PM me pls. thanks.

hi kkjoy,

Did you ordered the flashcard through phone or email? I call them, they say order through email, but after i email them, they never reply. So was wondering do they take ages to reply?

Hi mummies,

Just sharing some knowledge and experience I have. I agree with what kkjoy mentioned, teach and prepare materials DIY is a real saver but time consuming lor.

I tried flashing FP animal flash cards to my boy since 5mos and now 8mos he can recognise animals; cat, mouse, dog, cow etc. I did 1-2 a day as I am FTWM. It works. Baby recognizes pattern and very routine. Their brain is like camera now and when you do it everyday, pictures are capture to their long term memory. This is use in Shichida ie photographic memory.

You may try reading them books 2-3 book everyday to make it a habit. No TV on pls as it may distract them. I would recommend Sunshine or Rigby ricket series. Essential Reading series also not bad or Ladybird series. Not Peter and Jane pls. Words are simple and repetitive can make them learn vocabulary and simple grammar. At same time if you point those words with your fingers, baby may recognise those words.

If you have encyclopedia, make a point to read to them a topic once a week. They will also attracted to primary colors first and slowly they able to relate what they see with what they learn. Thats what baby sees in Baby Einstein DVD right? Relating an object to the real object is working on their left brain.

Do read to your baby in an exciting tone as baby loves listening to those tones. Nursery rhymes is good as it makes them relax and able to absorb more knowledge. Classical music is highly recommended. No opera or rock music ok as it may confuse them. Babies are auditory learner too.

Recently, I bought VCD Baby Can Read. Its good, comes with guidelines for parents; let baby watch 2x a day for 2 mos and etc for the other vcds. The flashcards are good too. We can DIY but again TIME! Sigh...

Another tip for your baby to learn words/reading; u can make flashcards and paste it on the items that they are visible to them eg COT, DOOR, CHAIR etc.

Do not baby talk to your baby as it will delay their speech. Try to speak to them with high frequency words or stress on the first letter of the words eg Book the /b/ sound make it clear as they will able to learn phonic at the same time. A good phonic book is Letterland which is not easily available in SG.

Commonly, we want our baby to learn 2 languages; our Mother tougue and English. Never have a thought that baby may confuse between these language as their LAD Language Acquisition Device is very2 good. Perhaps, you may practice one home one language method. Parents speak English and at grandparents home speaks only Chinese/Malay or Tamil. That's why Shichida introduce different languages in their program.

I do keen getting 200 blank flashcards. Any mummy ard East area? Pls PM me.

Hi ginsengmum,

I called them 1st. the lady called Lay Choo was the one who assisted me. She asked me to email her as well. After I email her...I called her again to make sure she received my email and I managed to collect my blank card in 3 working days.

Hi Apple_cheeks,

Can I chk w u..where did u get those story books that u mentioned? Did u purchased online or can get from the Popular bookshop?

Thanks

Hi,
I want to start making flash cards for my bb.
There are a few books by GD, which one should I read to get me started?

thanks.

Kkjoy, which books? So many books i mentioned hehe... btw if anyone wants to get eduventure books, can quote my name. I have membership card and u can enjoy up to 40% disc. Or may pm me books u keen for pricing. www.eduventurebooks.com

Mums who wanted to buy blank flash cards can try call Hiap Moh 62735333 for size and pricing. I will be getting mine to shr amg mummies here.

Hi Apple_Cheeks,

How abt the Sunshine and Rigby Ricket series? Can U name some of the title of the series for me?

Thanks!

tried to get flash cards from hiap moh, as they are the cheapest so far i an find. Then but those CD that help parents to make flash cards. And print on it. Fastest and easiest. But blank card from hiap moh not very good and lasting though. Found the ink printed hard to stay or dried. it makes my fingers dark even after few months. I have been making the cards for my baby since 4 months back. He likes it.

For other activities, like those memory dots etc..i rely on those DVD programs.

i am using the following VD programs:
1. Baby can read
2. Baby genius
3. Baby einstein
4. Tweedle wink
5. Chinese version of right brain training

ladies. sorry to be selling things on this thread. I happen to have a brand new "How to teach your baby to read" book. Its still shrink wrapped. I have an extra book becoz I bought the book first, read it and then decided to order the English Kit from GD Baby (which comes with the book). No time to do flashcards even though it is more economical. Letting go at S$30 as that is the price I bought. Any one interested pls pm me. Tks

Hi Parents,

SGparenting.com will be hosting the 6th get-together session on 15 June 2008 for all Glenn Doman and Shichida Parents in Singapore. Details are as follows:

Date : 15 June 2007, Sunday
Time : 2:00pm to 5:00pm
Fee : S$10 per person

Venue : MRT Sport & Recreation Club, 3 Bishan, Street 14, #02-01, S579780
(Next to Bishan Swimming Complex, Bishan Stadium, Bishan Sports Hall)

Walking distance from Bishan MRT - 500metres

OBJECTIVES
- To create a get-together session for all SGParents to inspire and motivate one another on the Shichida Method and Glenn Doman programs.
- To allow all SGParents to share ideas and experiences.

AGENDA
1. Parents introduction
2. Sharing of experiences by parents
3. Sharing of flashcards and educational resources and how to use them
4. Q&A

For more details on the get-together, go to:
http://www.sgparenting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2410&start=0

Cheers,
Eileen
www.sgparenting.com

Hi Apple_Cheeks,

I am keen to get the sunshine series books for my 3 mos old boy. Can recommend which are suitable? Saw that some are for 2 yrs and above. Is eduventure the sole distributor of the books? If its fine with you, can I quote your name for discount?

Hi, I'm interested to get the blank flashcards for the GD reading programme.(6"x22")
Any mummies have existing cards to sell me or I can share if u are ordering?

thx!

hi,
personally i felt tat if u can flash cards at home, then need not go to shichida method
happy.gif

i sent both my kids to shichida method, but then i've got no time to do any homework, thus just a 1hr every wk to me seems useless..... i hav decided to drop the lesson...

most of the games being taught in lessons, my kids learnt them in their childcare... can be a bit boring if so.... futhermore before they can finish their games, teachers due to time constraint got to recall all materials back.... n kids get so irritated by it..... :S

cpnda
both my 2 elder kids in SM also. yeah you r rite. nid to do home practise. esle it's a waste of money. I have been diligently doing so until my no 3 came along half a year ago. But i think flashcards are only a small part of SM lessons. I do see some advanced developments in my kids, esp no 2 when compared with her peers. So kinda reluctant to drop her SM classes even thou home practise with her is now minimum and she runs away as soon as i take out the flashcards occassionaly. haha

By the way, would anyone think that using powerpoint to create flashcards would just as effective? (and environmental friendly too)

priscilla
actually manually flashing cards with your kids requires eye contact which helps in bonding. Too much computer screen is not good for the kids' eyes.
sad.gif

i hv some extra blank flashcard A5, collection at toa payoh HDB hub on sat 12-2pm or punggol.

$4 for a pack of 100pcs, 1 side glossy 1 side matt 300gsm.

pls leave me a PM if interested.

Back