Getting a maid WITHOUT agent

nabmum

Hi anyone done tis before? I have someone (an ex-maid in SG) who is in Indo now. I wanna employ her without the use of agent.

Any tips, advise... much appreciated! TIA!

my ex maid is from indonesia but she was in malaysia with her husband and couldn't find a job legally so when i asked her to come back to look after my children, she willingly jumped at the opportunity.

because she was in malaysia, i didn't have to get an air ticket for her. what i did have to do prior to her arriving is the application of the in-principle approval for her. you can retrieve her records using her old work permit number. once the in-principle approval is given, you will need to get the insurance sorted out and issued to MOM for approval. these documents have to be given to your maid to bring into singapore otherwise she will be turned back at customs.

once she's in singapore, you just need to bring her for a full body medical checkup and i think the final approval takes about 14 days.

Can i get the in-priciple if she is not in SG yet? I have her old work permit #. Is that the only thing i need?

<font size="+1">Step 1: Call MOM Customer Service (65) 6438 5122
(Get advise from them about ur needs 7 how to apply, what to do step-by-step

Step 2: Get all ur info/doc ready
(Get the maid's info (passport #, DOB, name...etc)

Step 3: Apply Work Permit Online
(U need to click on the Login Page)

Step 4: Wait for approval.

Step 5: If all OK
happy.gif
then settle the security bond for the maid and post the in-principle approval letter to her. She has to have tis doc or she will be turned away by customs

Step 6: Once in SG, u will have 14 days to settle the medical chk-up, insurance... will update more info once i have reached tis stage
2708595.gif

<font color="0000ff"><font size="+2"><center>GOOD LUCK!!</center></font></font></font>

<font color="0000ff"><font size="+1">Lemme breakdown some steps
2711308.gif
</font></font>

<font size="+1">Step 4: Wait for approval.
I submitted my WP online and got approval at 430pm the <u>same day</u>. Maybe i'm the ideal case but do give it up to 1 working day for ur WP to be approved. Try to opt in for SMS notification of the WP status.

Print out 2 sets of the <font color="ff0000">In-Principle letter of approval</font> and proceed to next step

Step 5: Settle Maid's insurance/Security Bond.
Go down to the nearest NTUC Income branch and bring along the in-principle approval letter along with ur maid's details. This includes ur maid's passport expiry date.
From there u can choose from a 2 plans. U pay this via NETS/Cash/Check. Ask the insurer as much info about each plan as possible.
Once u get the <font color="ff0000">policy number</font> remeber to go back to the WP Online and update it into the system

Now u have the security bond &amp; IPA, post it to ur maid. She needs to have these in-hand <u>before</u> she leaves for Singapore. If not she will be turned away at Customs. I advise Registered AirMail for this.</font>

is it possible to transfer maid who were previously hired by their 1st employeer from agency, then i hire them direct (no agent)? will the agency chase? the maid contract will finish before I hire here, is that OK? should I speak to the previous employer? what papers are needed? pls advise.

This one i not sure, coz the situation diff from mine. Best is call up MOM, the customer service will advise what to do. Try not to do thing by assumption coz before i called MOM i assume alot of things and its a good to have ur doubts sorted out in case it's illegal.

<font size="+1"><font color="0000ff">I'm at step 5 now...so hears the follow-up to what i have to do</font>

<blink><font color="ff0000">Add-on</font></blink> to Step 5: Pls go online to purchase her plane ticket onilne. I suggest u choose a Budget Airline (Air Aisa, Tiger Airways) If ur maid is from Surabaya then u no choice have to take a slightly exp carrier like JetStar.
<u>Before u buy the maid's tix</u>, pls ensure u and the maid have already discussed the flight date togather &amp; have agreed on it
happy.gif
From the data on the airline website u can inform her of the flight date/time tats available. Then proceed to buy her tix &amp; print out her flight itinerary.

Along with the <font color="0000ff">In-Principle Approval letter</font>, her <font color="119911">Insurance/security bond copy</font> and <font color="aa00aa">Flight tix</font>, post it to her address and make sure to take <u>Registered Airmail</u>. Also try to put the documents in a sandwich bag so it doesn't get damaged by rain etc...

Ur maid has to present all these at the Indo/SG Customs. Also YOU have to come down to the airport at least 30mins before ur maid's arrival to declare the <font color="0000ff">In-Principle Approval Letter</font> to the Immigrations Office or else the maid will be turned away upon arrival.
</font>

<font size="+1">
<font color="ff0000">Stuff to take note about when ur maid is still in Indonesia</font>

<font color="0000ff">1) Make sure she has registered for her NPWP (Nomer Pokok Wajib Pajak) </font>

It's like a taxpayer's card. Altho they pay taxes, many (esp in rural) areas have not registered their cards yet. Failure to do so and they have to fork out 2.5 million Rupiahs at point of check-in at the airport. Registration can be done at their town offices for FREE. For more info, look up www.pajak.go.id

<font color="0000ff">2) Register their place of stay in SG in their passport</font>

Now this is a tricky one. Tis actually for the Indonesian Immigration to know the maid's place of stay while working in SG. The maid will have to go down to the Indo immigration or Embassy to get a stamp in the last page of their passport with the SG address.

Step 6: Medical Check-up
Once ur maid has arrive in SG, pick her up from the airport and hurry on home. Print out the <font color="119911">FULL MEDICAL REPORT FORM</font> from ur Work Permit Online and go down to SATA. Remember to bring along her <font color="aa00aa">PASSPORT</font>

The medical report will be out in 3 days time. Once it does, u have to self-collect it. Once u have the report, read thru it. Make sure all the blood test is passed, not preggy, X-Ray is passed and look for the <u>DATE OF MEDICAL REPORT</u>. This date should be consistent thru-out all the pages in the report.

Step 7: Apply for Work Permit
Log in into WPOL and click on the tab called ISSUE. Key in ur maid's Work permit number &amp; date of application. This info can be found in the IPA form u printed out earlier. LAter i will have to <u>double chk</u> the maid info and ADD ON the passed medical report.

Just input the date of the medical examimation passed (the date written on all pages of the report) and declare that she is fit for employment and proceed to send the info to MOM. Approval takes 30mins. After it's approved, print out the <font color="119911">approval form</font> and proceed to Step 8

Step 8: Go down to Work Permit Service Centre (WPSC)
Once u got the printed approval form, gather all the necessary documents (all written on the approval form), 2 headshot photos of ur maid and head down to:-

Work Pass Service Centre (WPSC)
Tanjong Pagar Complex
#02-27/29, 7 Keppel Road
Singapore 089053
Tel: 6225 0100

Once u reach, just go straight to the reception where they will give u a Q number. Note that agents and direct employers (like me) are given diff Q numbers and waiting time is ard 15mins. Once called, the officer will go thru the documents with u and once all ok, proceed to have the maid thumbprint scanned before u can go home.

The work permit will be ready for collection in <blink><font color="ff0000">4 days time</font></blink></font>

<font size="+1"><font color="0000ff"><font size="+2">Alot of ppl ask me how much does all this cost...and was all the trouble worth it....</font></font>

So far i forgot to mention that it has cost me in total ......<blink>$ZERO</blink>!! Why? Coz i had already made an agreement with the maid that all expenses will be borne by her. In total it cost at most $450... and let me emphasize <u>at most</u>. Paying for $450, as compared to $2700 if taken in by the agent is a much better deal for the maid
2841729.gif
. But of course this fees is paid by the employer (me) at first and will be cut from her salary is installments of 3 months (ard $150 per month). And since my maid salary is $300, it means she will still get $150 to remit back home coz she's really poor. Unlike agents who STRIP them of their pay for 8 straight months and thier families back in Indo are penniless for that duration.

So as employers, hope u guys are honest, keep the receipts to show the maid and dun purposely chalk up the bill with "fake charges: Example: charge $50 for airmail that cost $4 only... u get my point??

And also draw up reasonable contract (in-line with MOM guidelines) something that both u and ur maid can keep to. It also needs to includes that YOU the employer foots the bill in which next time when the contract ends and she needs to go back to Indonesia.</font>

Thanks Ima for your advice. Your success makes me feel confident to hire my own maid without agent.

I also hire a maid without thru agent.
Is not difficult and cost you only SGD100 (exclude insurance and security bond).
As compare to SGD2000+++ to the agent.

What i do is i observed my friend/neighbour/sibling's maid working attitude.
If i find they are good, i will ask them if they have sister or friends wants to work here.
Is not guarantee that their friend/sister will have same attitude as them, but at least she will take her advice in working here.
Rather than taking maid from agent which there is no guarantee, high cost, bad service if we ask for replacement, waiting time for the maid to come (that years!.
If you get your own maid, you can control the time you want her to be with you.

The only difficult thing that i face is ask my maid to apply her passport on her own in her country. She is Indonesian, Indo immigration "working behavior" is well known.
As these "kampung girl" normally go thru their local agent to do application for them, so they are scare to apply on their own, at the end, my maid been asking for alot of nonsense.

Once your maid got her passport, the rest of procedure are very straight forward in Singapore side.

feel free to check with me if you going to hire one on your own too.

Oh yah, talking about the difficulties of these maids to get a passport. I chked that they can apply for a passport online. That's one of the ways to filter out the corrupted immigration personnel. But they will need internet connection.....

But then again, they will still face all the corrupted airport personnel wen they try to board the plan...sighz...

My maid's experience is that she was stopped and missed her 1st flight to SG due to being stopped by the airport staff themselves to pay a so-called "fee" to them before they will allow her to pass to the next stage. Such bullcrap
sad.gif

Hey Ima,

Did your maid need to get a Visa or some clearance at the Indonesian immigration beforehand so that their airport customs will let her leave Indonesia?
Or do they just need to have a valid passport with my address stamped on the last page?

Zend Toa: She just needs her valid passport to leave Indo. BUT she will need to bring along all the paperwork that SG Customs require. Look up step 5

Thank you so much Ima. Nowadays they changed the system abit. The maid only needs to bring the IPA. The SB will be updated into the system when u buy it.

Hey Ima,
having some trouble. My maid was collecting her air ticket today and was told by a maid agency in indonesia that she needs to pay a fiscal tax and insurance of 3 million rupiah. And they managed to convince my maid cos she was shown another maid who got turned back at the airport. She also verified this with a government official at the airport....Is it possible? 3 million rupiah? that's freaking $500 SGD...So my maid asked me to transfer $500 over to her but i refused. She is trying to borrow the money now. I booked her flight on 25th march...Shd I cancel it? or loan her the $....troubled.....

Hi Ima,

I intend to get the indo maid who is currently working for my aunt in Malaysia. Do you have any idea how the procedure like? Is it the same as how you get the maid directly from Indonesia?

Thanks.

Anyone has advice for Filipino maid?

It is my former maid who worked for me about 3 years ago and went home. Now she wants to come back.

How to startthe process? :p

to : Hola,

U can start by reading the guidelines in the following link (It has step by step and clear instructions each step of the way):

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/communities/work_pass/foreign_domestic_workers/application0.html

Briefly, u need to apply WP online by logging into WPOL with ur Singpass ($10 charge to be paid online). Once approved (in one biz day), u need to buy the insurance for the maid. U can choose between Anda Insurance http://www.anda.com.sg/prg/PackPrem.asp or NTUC Income http://www.income.com.sg/insurance/foreignmaid/index.asp

NTUC has both 14 and 26 months packages while Anda only has 26 months. U can choose depending on your maid's passport validity period. Anda has a better refund policy (only $32+ admin charge if cancelled within one month of purchase)
Once the insurance is bought, the bond guarantee will be transmitted to MOM online by the next working day. Your maid can only come to Sg after the bond is transmitted.
Meanwhile u can buy her air ticket online and post it to her with the In Principle Approval letter.
This is for the Singapore side of the arrangement.
As for the Filipino side of the arrangement, u need to ask the maid to find an agency over there to settle any admin required before she boards the plane to come to Sg.
For my case, my maid has to pay the Indonesian maid agency some money to get her admin done there before she could board the plane.

u can email me at [email protected] if u have any queries.

whether it is Indo or pilipino, they are facing problems at their aiport. Seems like the local agency has very good relationship with airport officer. It looks like the maid has no choice but to seek help from their local agent.

My maid get through it without paying coz she got no money. She cried in front of the officer, and they let her passed.
happy.gif

Woman's nature weapons....

Zeng Tao,

Thanks for your detailed info! Now waiting for my maid's passport to be ready, before I can start the whole process going.

Just saw all the hassle you went through to get yours in. ... phew!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I read this thread with much interest, 'cos I've been recommended a maid, a Filipino and wondered whether I could possibly do a direct hire.

But I'm also 7 months pregnant and my hb is working overseas. So I wonder whether any mummies here who's familiar with the procedures is interested to earn some commission?
happy.gif

Or does any mummies here have a contact who's interested to do so?

Thanks!

hi, i am also wondering how much time is required to settle all the documentation (medical checkup etc) after the maid arrived. Is 2 weeks sufficient? i'm asking because I am travelling 3 weeks after my maid is supposed to arrive, worried not enough time...thanks

Hi,
The maid i want to hire is currently in Indonesia.
What is the process to register for NPWP? What if she doesn't know this? Would she have to pay fiscal tax thru engaging a local agency. In that case she would need to pay the agent $$$ right?
I want to do direct hire at minimum cost, but need to full details.
Please let me know. My email add: [email protected]
Thank you!!

How can we do an maid work permit extension and purchase insurance by ourselve?

Please share, thanks

If your maid misbehaves …

http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/Pages/PressRepliesDetail.aspx?listid=146

We thank Ruth Wong for her feedback and suggestions (TODAY, 22 November 2010).

2. If a foreign domestic worker (FDW) has behaved irresponsibly, employers can write to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) at [email protected]. MOM will take appropriate action based on the facts and circumstances of the case. Any FDW convicted of offences under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act or criminal offences will be barred permanently from working in Singapore. This prevents the transfer of FDWs with bad track records within the industry.

3. MOM also requires all employment agencies (EA) to provide prospective employers the employment history of FDWs. FDW employers may also obtain such information from the Work Permit Online system that is accessible via MOM’s website.

4. Employers who are dissatisfied with the service standards of their EAs may approach the respective accreditation body (CaseTrust or Association of Employment. Agencies (Singapore)) to lodge a complaint. To guide prospective FDW employers to an appropriate EA that suits their needs, there is a directory of EAs on MOM’s website (www.mom.gov.sg) with information on the number of demerit points issued to each EA, and a list of EAs which are under surveillance or have had their licences revoked. MOM will be enhancing the directory to provide more information and search functions.

5. The writer had suggested that EAs be responsible for verifying the information provided in the FDW’s bio-data. The accreditation bodies have proposed to develop a standard bio-data template for the industry to help distinguish more responsible EAs by requiring agencies to indicate if and how they had attempted to verify the information provided. MOM is supportive of this initiative and is working with them to develop the template.

6. Amendments to the Employment Agencies Act are currently before Parliament and the proposed new framework, together with a standard bio-data template, aim to raise the standard of recruitment practices and to minimise malpractices in the industry.

Hi,

I have the same concern as AiLing. I would like to direct hire my sis ex-maid from Indonesia. However, I just heard from my friend that her maid was not allowed to board the plane.

Last year, my sis managed to bring in her current maid. Is there a change in Indonesia rulings?

Please email me at [email protected].

Many thanks

Hihi,

I also brought in my previous maid without agent's help but she is not indo/fili. She is from Myanmar.

Other than the application &amp; security bond that I have to do, she also have to pay off her income tax. its 20% of her income. If she dun pay, they don't allow her to renew her passport. I only email her the IPA &amp; air-ticket to clear custom.

She was nearly rejected at her own custom. The custom keep telling her that she will be rejected in singapore. The IPA is not sufficient. She panicked &amp; called me but i insisted everything is ok and after some haggling, the officer let her board the plane but made them sign undertaking to buy another air ticket if she get rejected in singapore. Of course she cleared singapore custom with no hiccups.

I think the custom in her country was trying to get some kopi $$ from her and keep scaring her.

Is it true that for phillipino maid, there is no way you can bring her in yourself? even though you have done the IPA and insurance here for her.

You still need an agent to settle the exit permit/certificate etc over there in Phillipines?

Anyway care to share how they bring in Filipino maid?

Thanks

hi all, i need help to bring in former filipino maid. She used to work for my aunt &amp; passport is ready. Anyone wanna "earn commission"? pls PM me

Hi mummies,
in reply to soo, im afraid you are UNABLE to bring in a maid from philipines yourself through direct hire.
This is confirmed by the philipines embassy here in Singapore.

In order for you to bring domestic help in from philipines, your maid MUST have paper work arranged and done through an accredited agency in Singapore AND also in philipines.

UNLESS, you are able to sneak her in as a tourist, which is VERY hard, and I learnt the hard way.
I tried 3 times through 3 different airlines and spent a bomb.
In the end I went through direct hire through agency in Singapore.

So my advice to you is, (if the maid you are bringing in REALLY looks like a domestic helper= meaning not pretty/fair look like tourist type or can prove she has the $$$ and has acommodation in SG) then you shld save your money by engaging the services of an agency in Singapore.

Good luck!

BTW, I had IPA, and ALL contracts done and showed to philipines side, but was rejected by POEA because I do not have an accredited philipines agency to do the necessary paperwork.
If you are bringing her in as a domestic worker, you will need POEA, it's a MUST.

hi hi
happy.gif
in response to a question earlier on. Indonesia NPWP is FREE. they just have to go down to thier "town centre" and register at the office...FREE... is they need to pay what ever to the agent it's kopi $

Hi ,

Someone please help...
I wanting to have direct maid from indonesia and all doc and application from singapore already approved... The nightmare come in.. I did not know that the maid need to get indonesia agent to able to come to singapore. She has been stopped by the custom.. Anyone please advice... She went to 1 agency and the agenct asking for Singapore $2000 !!! I need help urgently ...please advice what to do..

No she doesnt need to get an agent lah. The customs just want $$... if Sg customs, they only require all the documents will do. My maid kena before. The customs, airport staff all prevented her from boarding the plane, gave so many bullshirt excuses... ended up ask her to pay SGD$600... siow liow...

She missed her plane, i got her another tix, this time, she gave them the i don't give a shit attitude and just when up the plane.

Hi i need an indo maid urgently and i need to know whether if we direct hire a maid, do we still need to have a minimum annual income?

If anyone has any info or recommendations for indo maids do let me know. thank you.
email me: [email protected]

In the end, my maid need to do KTKLN card. so i had to go to embassy in sg to do the employment aggrement letter and post it to her and she can proceed on making it. IPA and KTKLN is what she need.

SATA cost $62.06 for Work Permit Application Female
(Consultation, Height/Weight/BMI, Chest X-ray - report only,
Visual Acuity, Urine Sugar, Albumin &amp; Pregnancy, HIV Screening, Malaria Parasite, VDRL)

Anyone found cheaper package?

hi, im hoping thia thread is still active and somebody read and help me with it.

my current helper is from myanmar and her contract is ending soon this year. i seriously need her help for another 2 years cos im expecting my #2 this June and #1 is only 4 year old... my questions are..

1. due to some personal reason, we do not want to go back to her agent anymore, how do i prepare the documents and stuff...

2. i understand that its common for them to have a home visit in between the renewal of contract.. but how long is their usual 'holiday'? do we need to prepare any documents beforehand so as to safeguard employer's interest just in case the maid MIA and refuse to come back to Sg....

many thanks for the help!

Have you tried calling MOM up? They are very detailed in informing u what to do, why it takes etc etc. just be sure ur able to hold onto the phoneline patiently and prepare all u want to ask in advance :)

Hope those with similar (and better still recent) experiences will share too :) cheers!

Back