Fever Management

Many parents consider a fever to be something dangerous in itself. There are some parents who are so afraid of fever that if their child's temperature rises to 100 degrees or 101 degrees F (37.7 to 38.3 °C)., they give them a liver toxin such as acetaminophen or a gut-scraping ibuprofen. Worse yet, there are parents who give their child an aspirin at the first sign of fever, which poses an extremely dangerous risk for the life-threatening Reye's Disease.

How did fever come to be seen as so dangerous a condition that we put our child's well being at risk in order to suppress the temperature?

Read this article @ http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/01/05/fever-part-two.aspx

Last edited:
My two children just had a fever three days ago. And, their body's temperature were between 38.5 to 39.5 degrees Celsius constantly and this is actually the ideal range of a fever because this is the temperature range in which microbes will be killed.

Sometimes, the temperature momentarily raised to 39.9 degrees Celsius but it went down to 39.5 degrees Celsius.

After a day, the temperature started to drop, from 39.5 to 39, to 38.5 to 37.5 degree Celsius and finally back to normal temperature. The time taken was 1.5 days to 2 days and without any medication. For the past 3 years, my babies seldom visit doctor for medication. The only time I visited was at the request of my wife just to make sure the baby is all right.

There was one time my 3 years old child having fever below or toughing (40.5 °C) for past 12 hours despite taking medication. Doctor told me not to worry as my baby brain will not be "cooked".

Taking medication and antibiotic at young age is harmful to their kidneys and liver.

The Best Way to Treat a Fever

Contrary to popular belief, the best course of action is usually little or no action when it comes to fever.

Rather than working against it; trying to lower your temperature, you should work with it and allow it to run its course. The only time you need to worry or seek medical attention is if it rises very high, very fast. This could be a sign of an infection too serious for your body to handle.

Fever is an important part of the body's defence against infection. Most bacteria and viruses that cause infections in people thrive best at 98.6 °F. Many infants and children develop high fevers with minor viral illnesses. Although a fever signals that a battle might be going on in the body, the fever is fighting for the person, not against.

Brain damage from a fever generally will not occur unless the fever is over 107.6 °F (42 °C). Untreated fevers caused by infection will seldom go over 105 °F (40.5 °C) unless the child is overdressed or trapped in a hot place.

Febrile seizures do occur in some children. However, most febrile seizures are over quickly, do not mean your child has epilepsy, and do not cause any permanent harm..

Unexplained fevers that continue for days or weeks are called fevers of undetermined origin (FUO).

Last edited:
Your child awakens in the middle of the night crying inconsolably. She feels hot to the touch, and you quickly take her temperature. 103 degrees! (39.5 degree Celsius) You are understandably worried! Should you call your doctor? Should you rush her to the emergency room?

RELAX. DON'T PANIC!

Here are some helpful tips about fevers that will get you safely and comfortably through the night.

WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR
  • Remember, fevers are your body's natural response to infection, and not necessarily a sign that something serious is taking place.
  • Low-grade fevers are generally not serious, are easily treated, and can wait until the morning to be evaluated by your doctor.
  • Fevers of 101 to 103 (38.4 to 39.5 degree Celsius) are also generally not serious and can wait until morning to be evaluated.
  • High fevers of 104 (40 degree Celsius) or higher that quickly come down to 100 or 101 (37.8 to 38.3 degree Celsius) with medication are also generally not serious and can wait until morning.
So for now, don’t rush to call your doctor.

Last edited:
When is Medical Attention Warranted for a Fever?
  • Infants less than 1-month-old -- Seek care right away for fever greater than 38 degrees Celsius in this age group. While waiting for care, breastfeed as often as the baby desires as your breast milk will also create antibodies against pathogens in your baby's mouth.
  • Infants from 1-month to 3-months-old, with a temperature greater than 38 degrees Celsius, if they appear ill. Again, breastfeed on demand while waiting for care.
  • Children between 3 months and 36 months, with a temperature above 39 degrees Celsius, if they appear ill.
  • All age groups -- temperature over 40.3 degrees Celsius.
If the fever is mild and your child have no other problems, he or she does not need treatment. Drink fluids and rest.

The illness is probably not serious if your child:
  • Is still interested in playing
  • Is eating and drinking well
  • Is alert and smiling at you
  • Has a normal skin colour
  • Looks well when their temperature comes down
Take steps to lower a fever if your child is uncomfortable, vomiting, dried out (dehydrated), or not sleeping well. Remember, the goal is to lower, not eliminate, the fever.

Back