Failed 3 IVF egg transfer, want to conceive at age 43 yr 4 month

Anyone get pregnant after age 42 by which technology help egg implantation succeed?

• embryo glue

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • assistant hatching

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

baby2016

Dear Friends: I nee help!

I have 3 IVF cycles in USA (1st cycle canceled, 2nd & 3rd failed), one IVF at NUH ivf clinic last monht, all failed.

first IVF cycle was in year 2013: 15 follicles, 9 fertilized to day 3-5, but 6 eggs with abnormal chromosome. 2nd cycle 11 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved, 6-7 grow to day 5, fresh transfer 2 embryos in quality 'above Good', result negative. 3rd cycle in year 2014: 9 follicles, 8 eggs retrieved, 6 grow to day 5, fresh transfer 2, result negative. we didn't do genetic test in last 2 cycles due to no money. Protocol: (300 unit meno + 300 Gonal)

This year Feb 2016 I started IVF with NUH P C Wong, long protocol (superfact at beginning to suppress, then 300 unit meno + 150 gonal). 8 follicles, only 2 eggs retrieved, 1 didn't fertilize, 1 grow to Day-3. negative result.

My progesterone level in USA ivf cycles was found low, in Singapore ivf was give 1ml injection of progesterone after egg retrieval.

My question 1). Is the latest NUH protocol not fitting for me since my age is 42+? seems my body didn't respond well to it. I have many follicles when I was in USA. Why this time only 2 eggs retrieved out of 8 follicles?

2) Which IVF clinic in Singapore has technology in succeed IVF implantation stage, like 'embryo glue'? I called Gleneagle clinic, seems they have 'assistant hatching' but they don't do embryo glue. I hope Singapore has such clinic.

3) Does anyone have 'mini IVF' experience in Singapore? Actually I asked the Doctor for 'mini ivf' first because I heard it will only promote embryo with higher quality by minimize dosage, so 1-2 collections get 4-5 good quality eggs that increase chance of pregnancy for women over age 40.

4) my eggs get hurt badly after latest IVF treatment. My AMH is 1.2. What type of medicine can I eat to help repair damage to eggs and restore egg vitality? I plan eat multi vitamins, CoQ-10, exercise. Can anyone recommend any medication, acupuncture, Yoga? Please let me know their name & location.

5) Does anyone go to 'SAFE clinic in Bangkok'? Does anyone have experience with Doctor WiWat at SAFE?They use 'embryo glue + chromosome screen' technology to help women over age 40 succeed pregnant. this could be my last chance of technical help to get pregnant.

Their website: http://www.safefertilitycenter.com/category/success-rates/

thank you very much in your advice!

Hi Ashely11: thank you! I was busy since last night. Yes, please let me know how to share pm with you.

Also, as told by friends there is NO ivf clinic in Singapore do 'chromosomal gene screen' that is crucial for woman at my age, over 42, to get healthy embryo to sustain the implant. I may go to SAFE clinic in Thailand anyway.

Hi Ashley 11 and Baby2016,

I am turning 41 soon and have 3 failed IVF cycles. My first and second cycle didn't get pass the fertilisation stage. In my 3rd cycle, Dr Fabian from TMC managed to get 3 eggs out of 5 follicles, of which 2 fertilised and were transferred. Unfortunately, there was no implantation.

Judging from my failed cycles, I am undecided whether to go for another cycle with another dr/ same dr; or to do donor egg in Bangkok or TMC Johor. I have also heard donor egg is now banned in Bangkok? Does anyone has the latest update? What is an average cost to do treatment at BKK? IVF with own embryo as well as with donor eggs.

For those who may want to know about cost, I spent close to S$9-10K at TMC Johor on my 3rd cycle. I have heard of someone who did a donor egg IVF in their old clinic a few years ago at about S$8K.

Anyone who is over 40 and doing IVF in private clinic in Singapore? I know IVF at Thomson Fertility Clinic will cost about S$13-15K. I would like to know if part of this cost can be paid using my CPF Medicare. Thanks for all the sharing here at Singapore Motherhood!

Did you use Saizen in the USA and at NUH?
Read this link
http://www.fertilethoughts.com/foru...773-human-growth-hormone-saizen-omnipure.html

I have 3 IVF cycles in USA (1st cycle canceled, 2nd & 3rd failed), one IVF at NUH ivf clinic last monht, all failed.

first IVF cycle was in year 2013: 15 follicles, 9 fertilized to day 3-5, but 6 eggs with abnormal chromosome. 2nd cycle 11 follicles, 9 eggs retrieved, 6-7 grow to day 5, fresh transfer 2 embryos in quality 'above Good', result negative. 3rd cycle in year 2014: 9 follicles, 8 eggs retrieved, 6 grow to day 5, fresh transfer 2, result negative. we didn't do genetic test in last 2 cycles due to no money. Protocol: (300 unit meno + 300 Gonal)

This year Feb 2016 I started IVF with NUH P C Wong, long protocol (superfact at beginning to suppress, then 300 unit meno + 150 gonal). 8 follicles, only 2 eggs retrieved, 1 didn't fertilize, 1 grow to Day-3. negative result.

My progesterone level in USA ivf cycles was found low, in Singapore ivf was give 1ml injection of progesterone after egg retrieval.

My question 1). Is the latest NUH protocol not fitting for me since my age is 42+? seems my body didn't respond well to it. I have many follicles when I was in USA. Why this time only 2 eggs retrieved out of 8 follicles?

2) Which IVF clinic in Singapore has technology in succeed IVF implantation stage, like 'embryo glue'? I called Gleneagle clinic, seems they have 'assistant hatching' but they don't do embryo glue. I hope Singapore has such clinic.

3) Does anyone have 'mini IVF' experience in Singapore? Actually I asked the Doctor for 'mini ivf' first because I heard it will only promote embryo with higher quality by minimize dosage, so 1-2 collections get 4-5 good quality eggs that increase chance of pregnancy for women over age 40.

4) my eggs get hurt badly after latest IVF treatment. My AMH is 1.2. What type of medicine can I eat to help repair damage to eggs and restore egg vitality? I plan eat multi vitamins, CoQ-10, exercise. Can anyone recommend any medication, acupuncture, Yoga? Please let me know their name & location.

5) Does anyone go to 'SAFE clinic in Bangkok'? Does anyone have experience with Doctor WiWat at SAFE?They use 'embryo glue + chromosome screen' technology to help women over age 40 succeed pregnant. this could be my last chance of technical help to get pregnant.

hi ladies
was so glad to chance upon this thread. i know the cut off age for ivf is 45. would u know of any doctors who have experience doing ivf for patients after 45 and more importantly docs who are even willing to try doing it for the patient. hoping to give it one more last try. thks.

hi ladies
was so glad to chance upon this thread. i know the cut off age for ivf is 45. would u know of any doctors who have experience doing ivf for patients after 45 and more importantly docs who are even willing to try doing it for the patient. hoping to give it one more last try. thks.

Happyhippo,
Waves! Not sure if you remembered me ? Long time no talk... I remembered seeing your nickname in the IVF Mom-To-Be group in 2011/2013. Are you attempting to try for No.2/3 ? From what I know the cut off age to do IVF fresh cycles will be the patient's 45th birthday. For FET, I would think we still can progress to transfer after 45. If above 45, there is a need to appeal and its subjected to MOH's approval, else overseas treatment maybe another alternative.

Hi Daylesford
Haha wow was a nice surprise to hear from u. Ya still hoping for a no 2. But think almost no hope.
I looking around for a doctor who is willing to do ivf for over 45. U know of any?
Thks

Hi Folks, im soon to be 40, i did all my 3 fresh IVF which didnt pass fertlisation stage in NUH. Now im considering changing doc.

In SG, we can do up to 3 fresh cycle and 3 frozen cycle (tat is if you have follicles to freeze). I got married at the age of 36 and now hitting big 40 soon with no children is sad. Trying very hard. DH has sperms motility issues.

Hi Daylesford
Haha wow was a nice surprise to hear from u. Ya still hoping for a no 2. But think almost no hope.
I looking around for a doctor who is willing to do ivf for over 45. U know of any?
Thks

happyhippo,
Have you tried most REs in Singapore ? Dr Roland Chieng, Dr CT Yeong as well ?
Is going for overseas treatment an alternative you have considered ?

Hi Folks, im soon to be 40, i did all my 3 fresh IVF which didnt pass fertlisation stage in NUH. Now im considering changing doc.

In SG, we can do up to 3 fresh cycle and 3 frozen cycle (tat is if you have follicles to freeze). I got married at the age of 36 and now hitting big 40 soon with no children is sad. Trying very hard. DH has sperms motility issues.

Wanbaby,
U were with Prof PC Wong for 3 of your cycles?
Were you on different protocols for each of your fresh cycles in NUH ?

I had a boy on my first IVF back in 2011. Just hit big 4 this August and my 2nd fresh cycle landed up with only 1 Day6 blastocyst and I will progress with 3rd fresh cycle. For my previous cycles, I was on pure FSH - GonalF and my eggs quality were no good though i had a good yield of follicles. This cycle I will be on Saizen followed by Pregoveris jabs during Stimulation.
Hopefully it helps with better quality eggs.

You should consider changing dr & also the lab.

Hi daylesford,
Oh i hvnt called any yet. Wanna to ask around the forum if any hear say of which doc is willing to do ivf for after 45 first.

Happyhippo,
Think its the MOH regulation which resulted in drs not wanting to do ivf for patients who are passed 45yrs old here.... you can write in to appeal but the drs cant progress unless MOH approves the appeal.

Wanbaby,
U were with Prof PC Wong for 3 of your cycles?
Were you on different protocols for each of your fresh cycles in NUH ?

I had a boy on my first IVF back in 2011. Just hit big 4 this August and my 2nd fresh cycle landed up with only 1 Day6 blastocyst and I will progress with 3rd fresh cycle. For my previous cycles, I was on pure FSH - GonalF and my eggs quality were no good though i had a good yield of follicles. This cycle I will be on Saizen followed by Pregoveris jabs during Stimulation.
Hopefully it helps with better quality eggs.

You should consider changing dr & also the lab.

Hi dear, i was with Dr Stephen Chew. I was on short protocol for 1st two cycles and long protocol on 3rd cycle. Ya i will consider different doc maybe Dr Anu at NUH.

Hi, I am hitting big 4 next year and I started my first IVF cycle with NUH when I was 38. Did 2 fresh cycles with NUH with nothing to freeze and yield was 1 embiee during 1st cycle and no embiees during 2nd.

Did 3rd fresh with Dr Loh at TMC and was lucky to have my first BFP but lost it at week 9.

Going for my 1st FET this month.

Hi, I am hitting big 4 next year and I started my first IVF cycle with NUH when I was 38. Did 2 fresh cycles with NUH with nothing to freeze and yield was 1 embiee during 1st cycle and no embiees during 2nd.

Did 3rd fresh with Dr Loh at TMC and was lucky to have my first BFP but lost it at week 9.

Going for my 1st FET this month.

Wow... dr loh altered the protocol for u ? Seems a big difference btw ur NUH vs TFC yield.

Wow... dr loh altered the protocol for u ? Seems a big difference btw ur NUH vs TFC yield.

I removed my fibroids with Dr Loh before my 3rd fresh and I realised there are some differences between NUH and TFC inregards to their protocol. Please PM me if you like to know more.

Hi, just wanted to share my experience. I just turned 40 in last Sept. I started ivf since I was 37, had 3 fresh cycles with sgh. During my 3 fresh cycles, I had very little follicles extracted, from 3-4 follicles only. 1st cycle i had 2 embryoes, 2nd cycle 1 embryo and 3rd cycle I had 3 embryoes. I put in all I had for day 2 embryoes, but all failed. As I had medical condition, my doc gave me clomid instead of other injections, maybe thats why I dun have many follicles, but quality matters so I went with it. After these 3 cycles, I decided to give it 1 more try with private docs. I went to seek a few opinions, Dr Fong Yang, Dr SF Loh and Dr Roland Chieng. In the end, I decided with Dr Roland Chieng, he is with Virtus Fertility Centre. He suggested that I do ER 1st and culture to D5 blast. I was worried as I do not have many follicles, he assured me that if my embryos couldn't make it to D5, it's useless putting in D2-3, I agreed and went ahead. In the end, I had 6 follicles extracted 4 fertilized and 3 matured. All 3 managed to cultured to D5 with very good quality. We freeze all of them.

After which Dr Roland suggest that I removed my fibroid in my uterus, when they opened me up, they realised I have serious case of adenymyoma, so they removed as much as they could and after which put my menses off till I'm recovered.

6 months later, he checked that my uterus is cleared and ready for FET. As my quality of the embryos are very good, he suggested that transfer only 1. I transferred on 29 Dec 2016, on 4 Jan I tested with a BFP. On 11 Jan, my beta was 1299.

Conclusion, I think finding the right doctor is very important.

Hi, just wanted to share my experience. I just turned 40 in last Sept. I started ivf since I was 37, had 3 fresh cycles with sgh. During my 3 fresh cycles, I had very little follicles extracted, from 3-4 follicles only. 1st cycle i had 2 embryoes, 2nd cycle 1 embryo and 3rd cycle I had 3 embryoes. I put in all I had for day 2 embryoes, but all failed. As I had medical condition, my doc gave me clomid instead of other injections, maybe thats why I dun have many follicles, but quality matters so I went with it. After these 3 cycles, I decided to give it 1 more try with private docs. I went to seek a few opinions, Dr Fong Yang, Dr SF Loh and Dr Roland Chieng. In the end, I decided with Dr Roland Chieng, he is with Virtus Fertility Centre. He suggested that I do ER 1st and culture to D5 blast. I was worried as I do not have many follicles, he assured me that if my embryos couldn't make it to D5, it's useless putting in D2-3, I agreed and went ahead. In the end, I had 6 follicles extracted 4 fertilized and 3 matured. All 3 managed to cultured to D5 with very good quality. We freeze all of them.

After which Dr Roland suggest that I removed my fibroid in my uterus, when they opened me up, they realised I have serious case of adenymyoma, so they removed as much as they could and after which put my menses off till I'm recovered.

6 months later, he checked that my uterus is cleared and ready for FET. As my quality of the embryos are very good, he suggested that transfer only 1. I transferred on 29 Dec 2016, on 4 Jan I tested with a BFP. On 11 Jan, my beta was 1299.

Congrats Angelbaby! Your story is really motivational for us who are in the midst of Ivf treatment. It's amazing that you overcome all the odds and successfully BFP. Cant agree more that the doctor makes the difference.

@baby2016, I spoke to two drs in nuh and sgh. they mentioned about natural/mild ivf to me.
I read about the Create Fertility clinic in UK. It seems natural/mild ivf works for some couples.

Hi all. May I know how much you all spent all this while trying to conceive ? I read some of you having 3, 4 cycles of IVFs and trying IVF again after miscarriage (sorry to hear that).

Hi,

I am in similar situation as you. Every fresh cycle yields very little follicles.

Could you advise
1) total spent at Virtus Fertility Center
2) do we need to go back frequently for scan/blood tests?
3) estimated waiting time per appt?

Hi,

I am in similar situation as you. Every fresh cycle yields very little follicles.

Could you advise
1) total spent at Virtus Fertility Center
2) do we need to go back frequently for scan/blood tests?
3) estimated waiting time per appt?
Virtus is the lab, so all the scans etc were done at dr Roland clinic. All in all I spent around 12k-14k. There were no waiting time, as long as u r ready

Hi,
I almost same like you going hit 40 soon. Have went SGH for my 1st n 2nd IVF but all result negative.. 1st IVF i have 17 embryo put in day4 embryo but failed and 2nd time 20 embryo put in day5 blastocyst also failed. Really want to find another DR for my 3rd try as i don't have much time. Is really Dr Roland Chieng good? Can i ask how much have you spent as i want to standby $$$$ aside?

Hi,
I almost same like you going hit 40 soon. Have went SGH for my 1st n 2nd IVF but all result negative.. 1st IVF i have 17 embryo put in day4 embryo but failed and 2nd time 20 embryo put in day5 blastocyst also failed. Really want to find another DR for my 3rd try as i don't have much time. Is really Dr Roland Chieng good? Can i ask how much have you spent as i want to standby $$$$ aside?
To me, dr Roland is good. I went to speak to 2 other doctors, dr sf loh and dr fong yang, after my 3 x failed sessions with dr yu. Dr Roland is the only one who gave me positivity and provided me with a plan. That's what I need, a customized plan and not same old method.
I suggest to go fix an appt with him to see what he says about your condition. Of coz I cannot guarantee that u will surely get pregnant, out of my 4 friends, 3 got pregnant under him, 1 still trying....

Hi,

Hi yenni26,

I saw you in another threat. I failed my 1st IVF this mth and looking to change private doc because I will hit 40 in one mth time. No more government confund. Haiz... body clock is not to our advantage. I heard dr loh and dr cheng from TMC has good success rate too. Not sure of their charges though.

JTH, yenni26,
I am with Dr Cheng Li Chang from TMC. He helped me conceived my no.1 via IVF 6yrs ago and now i am back with him trying for No.2. He is a very detail, patient and analytical Dr who explains things and never fail to address our concerns.

He performs his IVF procedures at Mt E fertility center and heard that he has good success rates with blastocysts transfers. Costs will vary based on stimulation drugs dosage as well as stimulation duration. Or whether its a fresh or Frozen cycle etc...

Last edited:
Hi yenni26,

I saw you in another threat. I failed my 1st IVF this mth and looking to change private doc because I will hit 40 in one mth time. No more government confund. Haiz... body clock is not to our advantage. I heard dr loh and dr cheng from TMC has good success rate too. Not sure of their charges though.
Hi JTH,

Thank you.. i hear DR Loh is quite good in IVF.. He used to be KKH and after that he open his on lab at TMC.. Think private doc cost will be higher then govt but also with high chances too. They are more details and will spent more time to talk to you not like govt doc always feel them in a rush to talk to you and after that they will ask their nurses to talk to you. I will discuss with my hubby to see which Hospital to go as i going to do one last time, no more fourth round. :(

JTH, yenni26,
I am with Dr Cheng Li Chang from TMC. He helped me conceived my no.1 via IVF 6yrs ago and now i am back with him trying for No.2. He is a very detail, patient and analytical Dr who explains things and never fail to address our concerns.

He performs his IVF procedures at Mt E fertility center and heard that he has good success rates with blastocysts transfers. Costs will vary based on stimulation drugs dosage as well as stimulation duration. Or whether its a fresh or Frozen cycle etc...
Hi daylesford,

Thank you for information.. Will do more research and also discuss with my hubby too. This will be my last chances and hope..:)

To me, dr Roland is good. I went to speak to 2 other doctors, dr sf loh and dr fong yang, after my 3 x failed sessions with dr yu. Dr Roland is the only one who gave me positivity and provided me with a plan. That's what I need, a customized plan and not same old method.
I suggest to go fix an appt with him to see what he says about your condition. Of coz I cannot guarantee that u will surely get pregnant, out of my 4 friends, 3 got pregnant under him, 1 still trying....

Hi Angelbaby,

I am so glad to hear your story. Very inspiring and motivating. I have been tcc for 5-6 years (into 8 years of my marriage) now. Been thru 4 ivf. 3 with SGH Dr Yu as well and last one with Dr Loh. After which, I did a Fallopian Tube Recanalisation with Dr Tan HH in KKH for hope of considering IVF next but he did a scan and said I have low reserve and closed my file. Said low chance, given I have done 4 IVFs and I am 39 going 40 this year. I was so heartbroken and worst of all, a friend is having her third kid at 43yo naturally.

We are at our wits end and cannot decide what to do next. Give up, egg donor or adopt.

I might try seeing Dr Roland for a second appt. I see that he has clinic in Mt E Novena Fertility Centre and Virtus Fertility Centre. Is there a difference where to see him?

Thanks!

Hi Angelbaby,

I am so glad to hear your story. Very inspiring and motivating. I have been tcc for 5-6 years (into 8 years of my marriage) now. Been thru 4 ivf. 3 with SGH Dr Yu as well and last one with Dr Loh. After which, I did a Fallopian Tube Recanalisation with Dr Tan HH in KKH for hope of considering IVF next but he did a scan and said I have low reserve and closed my file. Said low chance, given I have done 4 IVFs and I am 39 going 40 this year. I was so heartbroken and worst of all, a friend is having her third kid at 43yo naturally.

We are at our wits end and cannot decide what to do next. Give up, egg donor or adopt.

I might try seeing Dr Roland for a second appt. I see that he has clinic in Mt E Novena Fertility Centre and Virtus Fertility Centre. Is there a difference where to see him?

Thanks!
Hi!
He sees patient at his clinic which is mount e novena or parkway east.
all the best!

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/criteria-set-for-ivf-embryo-screening-trial

Hi Ashely11: thank you! I was busy since last night. Yes, please let me know how to share pm with you.

Also, as told by friends there is NO ivf clinic in Singapore do 'chromosomal gene screen' that is crucial for woman at my age, over 42, to get healthy embryo to sustain the implant. I may go to SAFE clinic in Thailand anyway.

Hi Just share this info i came across. ST Article in the link above and below.

Looks like there will be trial for ivf chromosome testing ...

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/criteria-set-for-ivf-embryo-screening-trial

i can't find more info, supposed to start this year.

"The principal investigator for this trial is NUH professor P. C. Wong but patients can also go to SGH and KK Women's and Children's Hospital. Recruitment of couples for the trial will start next year."

Last edited:
Virtus is the lab, so all the scans etc were done at dr Roland clinic. All in all I spent around 12k-14k. There were no waiting time, as long as u r ready

I agree with Angelbaby's determination. If wanted a baby, just go for the best and spend that money. If choose cheap ones may not give good result plus we woman cannot wait. Not always we will have a lot of follicles. Once we are ready for anything, just proceed. Only 2 weeks!

Hi Angelbaby,

Thanks!

Oceangal, don't give up. I'm 44. Just had my SOIUI with Dr Yeong of The Tow Yung clinic. He is also from Virtus Fertility Centre. My full cost of this iui included anything the gynae will do for me is $7923.49. I'm claiming medisave 1st cycle of $6k. Cos my age cannot get subsidies government aid. I suggest you go to him, see what he can help you.

Hi Angelbaby,

Thanks!

By the way, I also low ovarian reserve. I'm 44yo n my OR is 3.2.

7E37110E-2563-4304-A878-C8BC1BE6F26B.jpeg
I stated. 3.2

I think your AMH unit is pmol/L?

Hi, is your doc dr yu? I am facing the same problem too. Now feeling lost on what i should do next.

Back