Eye doctor to check for squint (strabismus/misaligned eyes)

thanks pika.

no surgery is not to reduce the longsightedness. cos glasses did not reduce he's squint so the surgery is to reduce the angle and align the eyes straight to give him a chance at 3D vision. he still have to wear glasses though

Your son is so young, really heartpain for the parents to see him undergo the treatment. How long has he been wearing specs until the doctor decide that glasses did not help to correct squint?

My 4 year old has crossed eyes and long sightedness. Dr leo said to wear the glasses first. If the glasses totally corrects the squint, no need to go for op. if not , must go for op... like ojx's kid.

Update: 2nd opinion at KK (Dr Pauline Cheong) confirms that my kid is shortsighted but no squint! so how? 3rd opinion? hehe...
Apparently his shortsightedness is very serious and uncommon at his age. They are hoping to rule out glaucoma this Friday.

500 on each side. Glaucoma is a condition where optic nerve is damaged over time, which results in loss of vision and hence blindness.

have any of your child done their squint surgery at KKH?

my 2 yo boy going for his in june. Dr say he is still squinting even after patching for few months.

Dear all

Just to share. My son has congential cataracts when he is 3 months and had operation on both eyes when he is 4 mths.

I understand perfectly how it felt when he was young and wearing glasses and when we bring him out, we had people pointing and commenting etc. It does not feel good and a couple of times, we lose our cool too towards those people.

My boy is already 4 and he is wearing glasses at all times. However, he needs to be on eye drops as he was diagnosed with glucoma after his ops few years back.

Does anyone know if there is lightweight glasses for children?

Thanks

Hi brightestday,

My son is wearing Swissflex. It is almost weightless. Should be available at major optical shops... Easy to wear but occasionally it does "fly" off during very active play. Friends who wear this have no problem with it. Hope this helps.

Hi Pika

Thanks.... does it support degrees which are very high. My son degress is about 2000 and i think only an AMK optical shop makes such glasses....

hi brightestday,

i'm not too sure abt that, the lens are frameless so there may be a limit. My boy is 500+ for each eye, plus some astig - his specs are done by Lens Men at Parkway Parade. Alternatively, check with the eye doctor on recommended optical shops..

ojx
can i know how old your child when the surgery was done?
and how abt the after care? did he/her will rub her eyes?

Hi All,

I suspect my 5yo may have lazy eye too. I do not know much abt the difference between squint or lazy eye but I know something is not right abt her eyes when she look at me in very near distance.

From this forum I noticed a few names. Dr Quah or Dr Yvonne Ling or Dr Pauline Cheong? Will it be better to go KKH or Eye Centre?

I had initially wanted to go poly for referral but I guess I must go pte now. V scared to go & hear the diagnosis.
sad.gif

Hi Min,

My son was 16mths when he had he's surgery. It's day surgery and the actual surgery was over in about half and hour or so. But we had to reach the hospital in the afternoon and left only late evening I think cos they need to monitor him.

We also had to observe no food from 7am in the morning though surgery in the afternoon. Straight after the surgery we were told to go slow on milk or give water only cos he may vomit. But he was so hungry he finished he's whole bottle of milk but he was fine, no vomit.

Straight after the op, the doctors woke him up, immediately we were called to carry & soothe him. Not much blood streaming down except you can see in the corner of the eye in which the surgery is done is red. He wanted to touch he's eyes but we had to hold him back. No eye cover was given as doctor told us to wear he's specs will do. That will prevent he's hands from touching.

Thereafter we tried to make him sleep. Anyway he's still groggy from the anesthetic so he will sleep.

Hope this help you to be mentally prepared. Update me ok
happy.gif

Btw which doctor you seeing?

Hi Jajnj,

I can share my experience with KKH. If you specify doctor, you will be charge private rate and it will cost $100+ The last time I paid $140+ I think. If you go through polyclinic subsidize rate, you cannot choose doctor. The rate I paid previously through subsidy is $40+

But KKH eye centre you normally will need to wait 1mth or so for appt. If you dun wanna wait you have to go to the doctors in private hospital. Cost $100-$200+ depending on the test done

Hi Oix,

Thnks. I had just made appt to see Dr Yvonne Ling at KKH. Consultation fee is $80++. Earliest appt on 11/6 so 'heng loh'. Before that I called Eye Centre to book Dr Yvonne & was told that earliest will be 22/6. Dr Quah is earlier but after reading the forum tot that I better not choose him as my girl needs lots of coaxing. These docs are so fully booked...sign..

ok jajnj. be prepared to pay more than 80 though cos you would need to pay for the tests that the doctor order

Hi! I'm new to this thread.. I just brought my son to see a doctor for his eyes. And was diagnose with squint. I have spent the whole afternoon searching through the internet for information and got a fairly good idea on what is squint. My boy have to go for an op on thursday at Mt Alvernia for his eyes have a round thing on his inner eyelid. and there's pus inside. I was thinking of going for 2nd opinion. Could any mummies with good Drs to recommend, pls PM me the Drs details... I really hv no idea which Dr is good... TIA for the help.

ojx
my son is seeing Dr Lam Pin min fm KKH's eye centre

my son been seeing him and put on patch for a yr before we decided on the op .

i hope i won't break down when they administer GA on him next Mon.

my boy not wearing glasses .. i hope i can prevent him fm rubbing his eyes.

ojx
can i check if your son's eyes will look normal after the surgery?

dunno why my son eyes seem still look crossed at times after the surgery today.. hopefully eyes will be back to normal.

and he does not like me to instil eye drops on him
sad.gif

hi mummies,

i m new to this thread too...

my gal was diagnose with long sighted. 600+ each side. i brought her to pediaoptix for the eye check. was quite shocking after the result.. and they refer mi to dr pauline at gleneagles.

any idea long sighted is able to cure?

seriously after reading this thread, i think i m glad i found it earlier, from wad they explain, her vision is basically blur.. and usually she is clumsy, now i found the answer... she cant see... tts y clumsy..
sad.gif

really sad to see her like tt... i feel so guilty scolding her for being so clumsy always.

and, wad things can improve the vision other den wearing spect? any exercise or food or any toys?

hi mindy,
hope i don get the wrong person.. u also sometime pop by march07 thread?

Hi Yvonne, my son is 550+ long sighted on his right and left is plano (near perfect) and is being treated for lazy eye currently. Dr Pauline Cheong will be able to provide you with good explanations, i seeked 2nd opinion from her. But they will need specs definitely.

Based on my understanding, all babies are born long sighted and as they grow, the long-sighted will be corrected. Reason for the kids being so far-sighted is due to not so good eye development. As they grow up doing all the "near activities" such as reading, using computer. They start to develop myopia hence the far-sighted act as a "buffer" and will be reduced to a certain extent coupled with growing up development of the eye. My 2 cents worth.

hao, thanks! I just came back from glen e. Her exact degree is 825. Plus astic and lazy eyes. Poor gal. Dr cheong let me see wad she is seeing now. Totally blur.

Yvonne, presume with lazy eyes, patching is required. Hopefully, specs and patching can help your gal.

Hi all,

My child has lazy eye and long-sightedness. Would like to look for a good, patient eye doc - any comments on Dr Yvonne Ling and Dr Audrey Chia? Also their charges? tks

Hi all,

My gal has to start patching for 2 mths on alt eye for 1 hour a day then Dr Yvonne will review. There is a high possibility to surgery.

May I have some feedback on when is the best time to put the eye patch? Will it affect them in daily activities? If I put it on in the morning then she will be teased & will be very uncomfortable in CC.

If really need surgery, how will it affect her eyes? She has very beautiful big eyes with long eye lashes. I feel so pitiful for her.

I am also angry with myself too that both my dh & myself always used to scold her for falling down easily, dropping cups during meal time, dropping things etc. In fact, I had scolded her very badly oftenly when I thought that she was so rude by not looking at me when I talked to her.

She had not complained abt it but just got scolded thinking that it was her mistake. But all the scolding was actually for a fault that does not lie with her. I feel so ashamed & upset & guilty. How can this mummy be so loousy!!!!

Hi,i chanced upon you gals as i was searching for more info on squint surgery. My 20mo gal is also diagnosed with squint and longsightedness of +350.

kkh gave me e shops to go made glasses for kids - amk, katong & north bridge rd.

she wore glasses for 6 wks and was adv to for op but it's not a day surgery. Has to be admitted for at least 2days.

She's seeing Dr Quah (i find him very task-oriented and lacked the human touch). Tot of seeking 2nd opinion but dunno who to go to. Pauline Cheong and a Dr Sonal (anyone heard abt her) all have visiting consultation with snec of kkh so I really dunno if i shld go to them since Dr quah is the head of pediatric opthalmology at both places.

any other recomm?

Hi many

Do you mind sharing the shops that KKH recommended that carries baby specs? I have difficulty looking for shops selling & only know of 1 shop selling at wisma.

You can PM me.
Thanks

hi ojx and heng,
just pm u. so sorry for being late. my gal is using mira flex. very durable but a bit hard for her to hold it up cos her bridge is still flat...other than that, she's been happily wearing it =)

Hi,
Any more children who went for squint operation? My gal currently 3yr+ is also diagnosed with squint and have to be operated. I seeked 3 doctors opinions all said the same. I also saw Dr Quah BL receommended by a GP that I seen. he quite unfriendly when I saw him.. quite stern. somemore he had a ang mo trainee doc with him . I think he is coaching her also.

I ended up din see him becos of budget constraint. I went Polyclinic get referral letter to NUH. So far oni went once, nxt Thurs is my gal's 2nd appt from 6mths ago. It was me who postpone the appt lar. The doc that i saw was a nice lady.. Din note her name. She was very friendly and assuring altho she is the duty doc. I told her she is the 3rd doc that i am seeking. She asked me who are the first 2 and I told her one of them is Dr Quah. She say ohhhh I then asked her if she knew him. she said YES.. he was her lecturer. haha. I told him he has a stern face. she say his expression is lidat. hahahaha.

Anyway I will bring my gal for op end of this yr??? see hw the doc advice also.

Hi Jen,

Can ur gal go for operation? Did the doc say that? As my gal is 5+ & Dr Yvonne is still monitoring & says op is the last option... Somehow like waiting only cos' I am not sure if my gal actually improved with the patching..

jajnj,
yes, all 2 doc say must operation. patchng is of no use to her. so no choice lor. have to go op lor. sooo heart pain sooo small have to go thru op. somemore her squint is 2 eyes leh.

ur gal has squint for 1 eye? is ur gal cooperative for patching?

Hi Jen,

Actually my 2 younger kids have the problem. Both also both eyes. 1 is 5+ gal & the other is a 2+ boy. Both are cooperative with the patching maybe becos the younger one had seen the sis doing it before so he was quite comfortable with it. But then again a 2+ will still be uncooperative depending on his mood sometimes.

Doc mentioned that we can put 5mins 5mins & add up the total time. My gal has to put on for 2 hrs & she is accepting it q well.

I understand what u mean by heart pain. Th first realization of the problem really brought me to lots of self blame. Now, I am coming to terms with it.

I know they will need operations so I hope it will just be over soon but Doc is delaying. Coming chkup tomorrow.

Hi jajnj,

but the patching thing remove & put remove & out the adhesvive sooo power meh?

oh dun be sad. the doc at NUH told me it is not the mother's fault. Not say during pregnancy something we did that cause bb eyes to be like that. It is their brain that control their eye muscle. the eye muscle is too strong so the op is to weaken it.

Hi Jen,

Yesterday's checkup for the both was a bliss. We did not need to wait long & everything was over in abt 1 hr.

Somehow, the 2 seem to be better with their eye muscle & do not squint as much now. So now reduce the patching time & review in 4 months. Maybe no need op if they improve.

We normally change the patch if they need to put / remove. Kind of expensive but no choice loh. Yesterday just bought 6 boxes & the cashier said " You sure you want so many boxes? There is no refund you know." I was like urgh..... Who wants to stock the eye patch at home right??? What to do, I have 2 unfortunate kids that need to put on & shouldn't she be more sympathetic instead???

Somehow, it may not be the fault of mummy, this thing can be hereditary. So maybe why my younger one gets it too. But I guess thank God that my first boy is ok.

hi,
my son uses orthopad ..its v gentle on skin ,really excellent and he took to it very well despite my initial fears that he would reject eye patch . he sticks it on the door after everyuse so his room door looks v colorful now!
i know someone who was dignosed with myopia ( 800 on each eye)when he was in kindergarten.
he's married with chidren and has a good job to boot! yes he has high myopia now but he lives as normally as the next person! so mummies, dun be too worried.let's just take it one day at a time. their eyesight will stabilise when they are older and we shouldnt let other people's comments bother us too much! and if we are positive and cheerful, our kids will be too. At least myopia, amblyobia, strabimus dont hurt. glasses, eye checks and patching just make us poorer but more patient parents. and when our kids are older, technology will catch up with their eye problems!
happy.gif

i brought my gal for 2nd review at NUH yesteday. SHouldnt chose to go during school holiday. super duper pack leh when I reach the clinic at 3.15pm. wow fainted.. i waited & waited and I make payment at 6.05pm leh.

Yday, good thing, my gal did not cry at all when she is putting the eye drop. (Cos she know she has sweet to eat after the instilation of eye drop). ahaha.
Doc said that she has abit of "sun-guang" but then very minimum no nid to put specs yet. have to continue monitor.

then the doc did a test on her to see if she can find a ball in the plastic thingy. My gal cant get it. so the doc say she mayb still small to observe the ball. So operation has to still hold. will review again 4mths later.

I dunno isit becos I am on subisidised rate so seeing the big doc's team of doctors. it seems like it is a long battle to run leh.

Ladies,

Bringing my boy to do a check this thurs with Dr Yvvonne Lim. So worried!

Discovered his left eye on/off will look slightly upwards
sad.gif

Glad i found this thread as well!

Hi Ladies

Found this page by chance.

My 3yr old son also had lazy eyes and squint. We realised this when he was 1.5yrs. Been following up with Dr Audrey Chia at KK since then.

Very, very difficult to get him to put on the patch and glasses also. He will just pull them off. Tried "bribing" him also doesn't work for us.

He had his squint surgery last year and only improved slightly till now. Doc says he's still not using his left eye to see and only depends on his right eye.

Its really disheartening for us to see him like tat cos wherever we go ppl will like look at his eyes blah blah blah......

Hi all

Had been noticing a collegue who had straying eyes... One day she asked me out for lunch & I mastered the courage to ask her about her eyes. & yes she has squint and was only discovered and received medical attention only at 20 plus years old as during her time ppl dun really notice such things. She says on good days she's able to control her eyes straight but when tired it will 'stray'. I asked if she has 3D vision and she mention she can see as per normal. I wonder if I'm worrying too much for my boy's eyes....

Back