Dr Lawrence Ang of Sembawang's Thomson Women's Clinic

chan

Hi All,

I had a really bad experience with Dr. Ang. I went through natural birth and was in intense pain since I was discharged for the first week. I was in so much pain that i wasnt able to sit on the bed,sit on the toilet bowl or breastfeed.

Initially I thought it was normal thus i beared with it however I couldnt bear the pain and called Dr Ang wanting to drop by. He replied that its normal and ALL his patients went through such pain and mentioned that since he'll be seeing me next week then he'll do a check-up.

I was in too much pain that I immediately went to the nearest clinic and was diagnosed that there was a gap in between the stitches and I was already having an infection. I didnt went back to Dr Ang for the first appointment after delivery, likewise none of his staff called to ask if I was fine.

Although the wound healed, my vaginal opening was quite huge and my discharge kept flowing out and caused alot of disturbance.

I was helpless and went to Kandang Kerbau Hospital for a check-up and was informed that the opening is bigger than usual and was advised to undergo a pelvic floor repair day surgery (opening the stitches again & re-sew) if i was concerned about it. It caused disturbance to both my daily and marriage life. Most importantly the physical & emotional distress I've obtained.

This time round, I didnt fix an appointment. I went to his clinic and told his staff that I needed to see him.

I told him what happened and his reply was that he'll check and undergo the surgery for me. I told him after his negligence I wasnt comfortable with it and I intend to seek Kandang Kerbau Hospital help instead.

He tried gaving excuses like "your baby is fine now, she was delivered and I didnt cause any brain damage..."

I underwent the day surgery and went through all the pain again after I gained conscious. The wound recovered and indeed I didnt suffer as much pain compared to the first surgery.

I was really upset, why can he be termed as the best doctor when he have such a bad attitude towards his occupation? Shouldnt doctors be there to help and moreover despite that I lived in Bedok, I went all the way to Sembawang for each medical appointment as I've heard that he's professional and good when my friend gave birth 3 years ago and yet this is the way to treat his patient?

I reasoned out with him and told him that yes I thank him that my baby is delivered and healthy but that doesnt give him the right to shirk off his responsibilty by saying that he didnt cause any brain damage to my child.

His facial expression changed after I told him that I'll seek Medical Association's help and he told me "How much you want?"

I seriously feel that its not ethical for a Doctor to say such things despite his busy schedule. He was even eating bread in the surgery room when I was trying to push hard.

If he cant cope he should just receive lesser patients. Till now, Ive not had the courage to have another one and I will never ever recommend him to any of my friends and would like to share my bad experience so that the others won't go through all these distress and pain.

...really sorry to hear about your experience...for me, so far so good with 2 kids. I think I will still go back to him if have a third.

I myself also had bad experience with Dr Ang. He delivered my first girl. But I went back to him when I preg #2 cos I was lazy to change but he wrong diagnosis so I switch gynae. Really glad he is no longer my gynae. In fact, we are not alone, elizabeth, i know of other cases from friends.. but maybe none of us really went to lodge a complain so he got off scot free...

I suppose its all by luck .. Its really sad to noe tt.. Mainly pple go to him due to e cheap package.. I heard its $500 incl vitamins too.. I rather pay higher package n get more attention frm e gynae..

OMG such a gynae. I was thinking of seeing him last year when I preg.

Luckily, my colleague asked me to go KK as they have the best equipment and if anything happen, most private gynae will refer to KK.

I totally agree that he's not professional. When I was pregnant with my boy (4th mth) suddenly woke up and find myself bleeding... Was worried sick as I had miscarriage b4. I walk in as it was the nearest clinic. I previously did see him for infertility ( 2/3 times not successful)) instead of showing concern, he was trying to sell me the Oscar c package??? I told him I alrdy sign up elsewhere, he continue saying that his charges r very reasonable for the test and can even do it there and then??? It was then I mention that I alrdy paid for the test but has yet to do it then he stop. I have to ask him what exactly should I be looking out for ( more bleeding) and
other relevant questions... Next, he just give me a booster jap and that's it... Just proceed to ask me to take up his package(consultation till delivery). All this while, he was
talking real fast and doen't seem concern over my situation and best part, he was rushing to go back to hospital... Not the first time, previous visits I made to his clinic is always jam packed... I proceed to pay. Guess what, the bill came up to 200+ ( no medication prescribe) just consult, scan, jab... Super xx, consider it was not my 1st consultation. Then I told myself, I'm never going back again!

I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere bah I been with him for four of y pregnancies. He is very kind and nice and he doesn't mind me callin in the middle of the night..

He maybe busy but if u have any answers and questions he will answer u and assure u it's ok. And I'm a over paranoid mum

Hm.. Dr Ang delivered for me twice.. was able to discharged the next day after I delivered (natural) and walk a few hours after delivery..
I agree he can be quite busy at times.. however, feel he is competent..

after reading the bad stories here, somehow makes me feel like there are 2 different Dr L Ang...

personally to me, he is a very caring doc and genuinely loves children and take care of mummies, at least i feel it. btw he don't do abortion.

He don't hard sell his package, and i only get the green light to sign up on my forth mth.As for the Oscar test, he refer me to TMC as he said it will be better for me cos will be clearer due to my fat tummy...

He is busy and fast speaking but if you have questions he will always answer you. i used to record all the question i have on my iphone and will show him on my visit and he will reply all my questions!

on my 3rd trimester, when i thought i was in contraction, he even allow me to seat around and to educate me what is contraction.

i remember once, i overheard the nurse rejecting to take in a mummy as Dr Ang is already packed with mummies with EDD of the same mth. I believe he do this to ensure delivery will not crush between mummies.

He is not that kind of Dr who is only concern of $$. when we choose an auspicious date for my c-section, even it was a bit crush on his clinic time, he didn't overcharge us and he was on time!

5 mth after my delivery i had some stomach cramp and have spotting, he give me a check up, assure me i'm okie, and he didnt even charge me a cent.

I'm very sorry for what happen to you, but he is really a good Dr and i will still go back to him for my next baby.

of all the comments i read about gynaes, Dr Ang seems to have d mos negative comments. was it to do with his skills or he simply overwork and then make mistakes?

He has many positive comments too, though I'm not sure how I should count to see if he has the most positive comments...Best is to ask him personally. No point speculating. My comments are he is not a perfect dr but his skills are good and most impt is the patient must trust the dr. Personally, he never force sell his package and he will return all my calls even at the most inconvenient times. Best is to feedback directly to him and see what he has to say.

Oops and I don't mean to be offensive twds anyone...just trying to illustrate that there is a very thin line between objective and subjective opinions. The most ideal is the person "try out" the dr for himself or herself. No one dr suits everyone. Dats y I dun have the habit of recommending drs to pple..it's too risky, even if the dr is gd for me, others may not tink so.
happy.gif
wat I value in a dr wld b different from wat my fren values. But of course the basic shld b there.

I have also seen Dr Ang many years back on the recommendation of my friend. I found him talking too fast and wanting to dismiss you quickly. Always give simple answer without explaining in detail.

I had my two girls delivered in KKH with two different gynaes. Same as what Eve had mentioned, KKH had the best equipment.

I had my 2 elder kids delivered by my gynae in MEH and I chose Dr Ang as my gynae for my 3rd child delivered last year. I have no bad experience with Dr Ang though I still prefer my usual gynae at MEH (which will cost a bomb AGAIN if I choose her for my 3rd delivery). I must admit I chose Dr Ang bcos of cheap pkg pricing and affordable hospital bills. I wasn't a 1st time mum so I knew what to expect during delivery.

I do not like TMC delivery suite nurse/midwife whatever u call it cos I was not allowed to push when labour set in (which caused tremendous pain to me). She even inserted her fingers to stop baby from coming (OMFG!!!) and upon seeing Dr Ang, she actually asked me to push whatever I want. In comparison, MEH midwives are fully trained to deliver even if gynae was not ard.

I'd say Dr Ang is definitely not a good choice for 1st time mum as I feel he is not sensitive and patient enough towards his patient.

heard about Dr Ang from a fren and not that i wan to comment and butt in but then according to meowmeow123 she say that most importantly Dr Ang dont do abortion. It's so untrue. I just don wan ppl to be cheated by that cos i hav a fren that goes to him for that.

blessed love:
but based on what reason did your fren abort the bb?

i ever heard people calling to the clinic to enquire and the nurse said he doesnt do abortion...

Hi, my first 2 were delivered by Dr. Ang. both c-sect. I agree he always looks and sound busy cos he has tonnes of patients. Talks super fast. you wait quite long and the nurses not the super friendly type. and your actual consultation is very short. so you could feel uncared for and cheated if you are the type that need the motherly, slowly explain everything to you type.

Well, I am very comfortable with him cos I am the type that only need to get his assurance that the baby is fine. the weight of baby and when to see him next to get that assurance again. He did a great job in stitching. fast and good. safe. cheap. near. I am a happy mummy cos for the rest of info, I get online or from books, or simply trust God to provide the rest.

Which is why I am so sad today that he can't deliver my 3rd baby cos he will be on vacation from 4th June. My EDD is 23rd June but we usually deliver 2 weeks earlier to avoid emergency c-sect, means about 10th June. He didn't want to risk the baby's health at 37 wks so didn't opt to do it on 3rd June. Instead he asked me to look for another gynae, which he made 3 recommendations. sigh.... so sad... cos it's my last baby. I am going to ligate at the c-sect. He thought it was a waste he couldn't deliver my last baby too. and he even remembered my husband and me till now, even at my 2nd. I would never think he would remember cos he always look like he's in a hurry.

Yup, I do agree that Dr L Ang is very caring, although he talks very fast and sometime his consult is short (due to a lot of patients waiting to see him), but he will answer all my concerns at one go. He never failed to return all my calls and always give me assurance. I am seeing him now for my second pregnancy. He is definitely A very patience and caring gynae.

I am surpised to heard such a bad incident with Dr. Ang. And so sorry for such incident happened to any mommies. I had my two kids at Glens, but switched to Dr Ang as it is near my house. He talk fast but he did answer all concer questions I had. The nurses there are nice as well although sometimes they talk really loud. As for my labor, he handle it well and also stitched well as well.

Hi all,

I've read a couple of posts about different gynaes,
I realise all good gynaes come with good and bad comments.

So i finally decide to try Dr. Ang as his clinic is convenient and near my mum's place.
Also, my friend and cousin have not much issue with him.

But reading the bad comments are actually worrying.

Then again, i also feel that different pple meet gynaes with difference experiences.

Just pray that everything will be smooth till the day you meet your baby.
happy.gif

I also have to say tat he acted fast on my 1st visit. By then i'm already 3 mths, straight away blood test and Oscar test.

He called me once he got the result back while on his way to airport. Explaining to me between CVS and amnio test. However, he did remember wrongly that my risk is 1:100 over the phone. But in actual report when i was about to do amnio test by another gynae at TMC, it states 1:18. Should i blame him for his forgetfulness. Or should I thank him that he didnt give me the actual figure while i waiting with for 2 weeks for amnio test at ease? (less sad)

Anyway, i'm not angry over it, because i already prepare to go for Amnio test that day. Just very depressing... When i went for my 2nd visit, I did tell him about this, he did mention maybe he could have remembered wrongly while he is on this way to airport. Ok, at least he didnt deny!

And what's more important is the result turns out Well! My baby is fine!

So all i can say, everything is really by fate, faith and a little luck.
happy.gif

Let's Be a happy Mummy!

Hi everyone... I am first time mother, looking for a private gynae which the rate is around Dr Ang as he is not in town during my EDD. Any recommendation?

I went to Dr Don Wong at Gynae Link at Admiralty Cos Dr. Ang gave 3 recommendations based on proximity to my place. Dr. Don Wong, or Dr. Hii at Khatib? and one guy in Chong Pang. I chose Dr. Wong cos Admiralty is the most convenient for me. His package is $660.

He is different from Dr. Ang. Consultation is definitely longer. And he kept asking me if I have any questions. But I really didn't have much to ask since this is my 3rd baby, and being used to Dr. Ang's style.

Sign, I only hope he is as good at c-sect and stitching. And I am getting him for ligation also.

They didn't measure my weight. And I collected my urine in my cup, withth nurse putting in the test strip instead of DIY at Dr. Ang's.

I felt the nurses at Dr. Wong is not as "pro" cos he actually share the same nurses as the GP clinic. Cos when I asked about the receipt for the package for the medisave, she looked at me blankly for a while. I asked if she will give me the receipt later nearer to my delivery date but instead she give me now. So I have to keep it properly. Whereas at Dr. ANg's, they will give everything to you nicely in an envelope before your delivery to pass to the hospital.

But small issue lah...

jenny:
so i assume u will be doing c section under dr don? did he recommend ligation-cut or tie?

i am considering ligation under dr ang, but he said most ligation are done under "tie" now and if i am to do natural delivery, then right after the delivery, he has to put me to sleep b4 he can carry out the surgery....very troublesome.

i have never visited dr don as i am dr ang's patient, but i visit the GP clinic he shared, last known and visited, it was owned by his wife whose the GP, she's one with serious attitute probllem!

Dr. Don Wong. the gynae link. tel 68939180. #01-722 at admiralty mrt station area.

i didn't ask how he will ligate me. now i know what to ask at my next visit. Hehe... but he did ask me if i wanted GA. i said no. i wanted the spinal one where i will be fully awake during the operation. he then showed me the price. so i just presumed that during ligation it Will be the same. he just said ligation Will cost $500 more. i don't want to be completely conked out cos i m scared i will take a longer time before i can breastfeed.

he told me i know ligation is irreversible right. i said well i don't want anymore lah so it's fine.

Hi,
I'm surprise to hear such a bad experience you had with Dr Ang.

He do a good stitches for me & I had post natal depression. I called his nurse & he refer a physiatrist to me. He even ask his nurse to call me up to check am I ok few week later.

I'm so touched because I'm no longer his patient & he already delivered my baby but he still show his concern to me.

Hi mummies, I have to admit not all drs are for everyone. But I feel I have the obligation to defend on his behalf. My family have nurtured good doctors too and 2 more in my generation. I just want to say good doctors are popular and hence,are very busy and they don't speak too much in excess so as not to worry or confuse the clients, they get straight to the point and give you what you need, not what you want from them, no matter the time, they will attend to you questions but let's remember they are also human so sleep, eat and some personal time at times when they're uncontactable, should be very well understood and accommodated. For all his time involved in his work, and all the sacrifices he made which are often not seen by his unfated patients-to-be is a very sad thing. The more popular you are, the more expectation people will have of you and the more tendency you'll have of disappointing them but he asked for none. He's a good doctor, but he's not perfect becos our expectations of them is skyhigh. What I can say is, he treats all his patients with due diligence. Most of us who have been to his clinics sees him with gratitude and he's become more of a friend and will care to help him to help us along the way. FOr those who intend to walk in to be served, it's the wrong place for you. What he can promise is, if he can assist you in any way, he will. If he is engaged and you have an urgent matter, you can walk in, if he says something, please do not doubt and if you do please do not go to him. He doesn't need the money. If you do know about his background, his father is a doctor well known to give up holidays for his patients becos he cannot bear to leave his patients suffering while he's awat to have fun. When he died, there was a tribute in the newspapers to recognise his professionalism and achievements. His brother are reputable doctors too, in different departments. Just like popular restaurants, There's forever a long queue outside his clinic door so those who cannot wait should not see him. If you can find me a doc who answers your call when he's sleeping, eating, as soon as he finishes his op, almost all the time in a day most days in a month becos you are staying in KKH and the doctors tells you in the morning you can be discharge only to do a ecg that shows you still have contraction and hence you can't and this repeats EVERY SINGLE DAY IN THE MONTh,and tells you to discharge on your own accord and sign an indemnity form, you will be very thankful he's always there for second opinion and always ready to support your decision to discharge or stay on giving you accurate analysis of the situation yet being professionally ethical insisting not to come in to do checks on you even if you request him to so as not to infridge on the hospital's doctor's credibility to the patient but he can pay you a visit at Mt A whenever you ask to see him so it's definitely not becos he's lazy but becoshe was from KKH so he doesn't want to step in becos it will look bad on his ex colleagues at KKH. I can get very pissed off with him if I want becos I insisted no episiotomy for both my birth and he went ahead with it. But I was there and I knew he did it in the best of my interest. I must say if my sutures did open up after my discharge, I will be very upset and even angry too. i was in excruciating pain considering my super high pain tolerance. I had no pain relief for both natural deliveries. but there can be many reasons for it. Doctors are not God. They wun know that it happened unless the patients goes back to them and you can be sure he'll rectify. I feel your pain and anger and I can see why you're not going back to him but that's becos you never gave him a chance. It can never be a flaw in his skills that caused this. so many people have their stitches done by him, and I must my husband is happy with his skills. Your stitches opened up that why it left your opening huge, but mine didn't and after 2 babies, mine still keeps my hubby happy.in fact my husband feels that he stitched a little more than required that makes it perfect for some action before it gets seasoned again.I can vouch he's pro baby. unless there's a medical concern, he doesn't do abortions and he doesn't do ligations easily too. you can say it's becos he'll have one lesser patient but he doesn't lack that one patient becos he has new patients flocking into his clinic almost everyday. And yes,almost all the time,he's in a rush to go to the hospital. you will be thankful if the person is hospital is you. So please do not be angry, If he just focus on his scheduled deliveries, I think his schedule will be as packed almost every day even if he doesn't see patients at his clinic. For a doctor of his popularity, he could have found himself a office at paragon and charge skyhigh prices for skyhigh expectations but he didn't.As my hubby is the sole breadwinner, I am a very scrimp n save patient. FOr both my pregnancies, I see govt hospital team doctors for the first 2 month of my pregnancies to save on the test and ultrasound scan which could have costalot more at any private clinics. But from the start I saw him and I explained my plans to him, only coming back to him in the last trimester unless there're complications. He was perfectly fine with it and encouraged me that if there's anything, I can let him knoe and he'll see how to help me along. After my first child i wanted to ligate but he dun want to do for me, i can go to another doctor but he's just not doing. Sometimes I feel that if he has better clinic assistants, he will have lesser complaints from his patients but they have been with him for a long time now and he's not ready to send them packing just becoshis clients are not happy. how many bosses will do that?To me, he's a grateful man and for me and my family, we are very grateful to him too.

for the *first 2 trimesters of my pregnancies.

And during the time i was at KKH for premature contractions from 34 weeks to 35th week, one day he called to ask me if everything was ok, becos he just had a patient who also got admitted for premature contractions and that morning, she called him crying becos the baby has passed away. In my opinion, the hospital has a part to be blamed. while I was there, although they assigned a doctor to be in charge of my case, She was never there. All the doctors that saw me in the morning and evening, each of the 10 days were ALL DIFFERENT and gave very different opinions on my progress.If i had listened to some of them and discharged myself, I could have got into some serioud troubles too. One day someone could give you drips to stop labour, another day, another one took it off becos nothing's happening and you dun need it. Finally, becos you are so close to delivering , when you actualy came in becos of that, you got on the drip again. In the end, they finally decided, nothing to do for you and let nature take its course. whether you will stay in the hospital to wait or to go home, please sign yourself an indemnity form.How is that? This is my true story. I was in Class A for 4 days of my stay. everything was fine. there was a regular doctor that came in all the time, but everything that was reserved and used for you was Class A surcharges, if you know that until your delivery, the delivery suite and ward charges are billed to you everyday becos if both are reserved for you to handle that sudden delivery so i paid for everything used or not 4 days for A Class and 6 days for C class and all they say is they're not sure when will things happen and all we can do is to wait. The biggest difference between A class and C class is not the nurses like in the past. it's the doctors now.from 1 giving you consistent updates to a panel giving you very different VIEWs. Which is worse?

by the way, it's also doctor ang that advise me to go to KKH becos they have the complete facilities for premies and the charges at Mt A for NICU would be $1k/day, exclusive of all other charges. if he had wanted the $$ he would have asked me to go ahead to Mt A becos he would then have a share in the bills. And he wouldn;t have to risk giving up one patient to the doctors at KKH if I were to deliver earlier whil at the hospital.

today i went to the clinic for normal check up. i ask him a question about, what happen if my wife feel very pain at night? Guess what he reply? If after 10pm, dont need to call him. just go to the nearby hospital. What kind of gyne is he? This is my first child and i think i goes to the wrong gyne
sad.gif

Hmmm...so strange...I remember last time he always say call him first to confirm the signs of labour before going to hospital...really can't imagine him saying not to call him now...Times have changed?

WeiXiang,

He should meant that if the pain is very intense, that should be the start of the labour. Even after we are admitted to hospital, the midwives will be the ones who will do the checking till the end, then the Gynae will appear.

Well to each his own...

Here's few reasons why i'm not going back to see him:

1) even with appt d waiting time us at least 1 hr.. N d nurse will chase u away n ask u to come back in 30mins to continue waiting.. Obviously, he overbooked himself.. Then a waiting area is too small to accommodate his patients.. Very limited seats so u see his patients stding in d narrow pathway

2) then no transparency in who's goin 1st.. No Q no. or anythg.. So i've seen some patients who just walked in n bugged d nurse to squeeze her in.. Which they eventually did! N d nurses usually screams ur name bcos d Q goes very long n for sure pronounce my name wrongly!

3) d ceiling looks disgusting.. It's like all yellow/rusty in color.. Like it's nvr been cleaned.. I've got sinus so i'm very particular abt d ventilation n dust!

4) he rushes thru d appt.. He speaks very fast so whatever he said it doesn't quite register in my brain.. N i barely has d chance to ask any qsn.. Usually, u see him for less than 2 mins!

5) there was 1 time i was in his office n he had to pick up his hp.. 1 of his patient had arrived at TMC almost ready to deliver.. It was abt 4pm n he instructed d nurse to give her epidural n help delay it for him.. He'll be there at abt 6pm which u knw it's a lie.. 1st of all how can u force a patient to opt for epidural just cos u're going to be late?! Isn't it up to her? She has to pay for it n risk whatever small % of risk having any long term side effects.. 2nd of all delivery is up to mother nature, how can u tell d nurse to stall for him?! 3rdly, he's got overwhelming patients waiting outside n some was already sent away n told to come back in 30mins so i'm sure he intends to clear them before he leaves.. N by d time he leaves, Thomson sure jam punya at that hour.. I doubt he can make it at 6pm!

That's the last time I went to see him!

Hi all, I would like to share my unpleasant incident with Dr Lawrence Ang which I hope to serve as a warning to everyone who is deciding or already enagage him..

My wife is at week 20 and her EDD is at 15 Dec and our gynae is Dr Lawrence Ang. During our last visit to him which is just last week, he informed us suddenly he cannot take us as his patients anymore as he will be going overseas on the 8th of Dec. Me & wife were caught totally unprepared for this sudden shocking news as he promised us on week 12 that he will only be going overseas on 18 Dec and he definitely can help my wife give birth.

We asked him if there is another replacement doc if during his absence he say dont’t have. He told us if we insist to continue his package he will have to induce the baby out the day before he goes on leave which is totally unacceptable to me ~!!

We have visited him in total 3 times and paid him $480, actually we just need to top-up another $90 to enjoy his full package till my wife give birth in Dec which I believe all his patients do the same if sign package with him.

In the end, Dr Ang refused to let us continue his package as he say it’s unfair to him to let us continue for checkups according to the package price as he cannot earn any money from us if the baby is not given birth by him..!! Now we have to search for a new gynae from scratch and probably sign a new package from them and spend more $$ again as my wife is already week 20 now and other gynae package usually starts from week 12 =(

Just wanna check if anyone here have similar situations like me under Dr Ang (FYI he goes overseas twice a year) & if am I possible to get back at least a small sum of $$ back from him ? =(

Hi paradise80

My edd is 12 dec and I can't wait to see my baby out on week 38 or earlier. Are you a 1st time dad? Don't have to carry until full term, your wife may have a hard time delivering your baby.

Years ago before I deliver my elder daughter, just every other first time parents, I doubt about his knowledge. I thought I would carry my bb until full term. But after I delivered my bb, I was really thankful to Dr Ang for inducing my bb on week 38. I had a short and smooth delivery. His skill was good and he was a pro!

If your wife is comfortable in seeing him and you want to save money, I suggest you go ahead with his package. His rate is reasonable. Otherwise prepare to pay more elsewhere.

All the best.

Hi Miracle,

of course I can't wait to see my baby on week 38 as long as the baby is healthy. Btw I have friends who given birth around 38-40 weeks too, so you mean you are okay to let Dr Ang to induce the baby out IF the baby is not ready to come out yet just because he wants to go overseas ? Sorry, I cannot accept it =)

Anyway we have found a better gynae and very satisfied & comfortable with him. Regret not spending a little more earlier to look for a more caring gynae, at least the consultant fees paid are worth it. Wife and I have never doubt Dr Ang skills & experience, just that his biz are too good nowadays to don't even care to lost some customers. Seriously I doubt he remembers his patients the moment they step out of his door.

Since like you are delivering by him in dec or earlier, wish you all the best have a smooth delivery~!

Agree with you paradise80. Great that you found a better Gynae. You seem like a responsible and caring father to me
happy.gif
Wish your wife has a smooth delivery with a healthy baby! Cheers!

chanced upon this thread... i had a bad experience with dr ang as well.

well, alot of my friends are with dr ang and when we were TTC i booked an appt with him. partly to do a check up and partly to seek advice since we have been TTC for a while.

first, waiting time....long but ok, i was mentally prepared. then when we finally get to see him, he did a pap smear for me and did ultrasound. Can you believe he only put the ultrasound handle on my tummy for 1 sec? i swear it was only 1 sec and he went "everything ok"..... even my hubby was shocked.... then i told him about the TTC part... he just went try "alternate days if after 6 months no news then come back to me"

i was so freaking pissed off.... what sort of test or advice did he actually gave?

so i went to another gynae that my fren recommended. just the ultrasound alone, my gynae told me he suspected i had PCOS, then after consultation asking me various questions and giving me the meds i need. Was oso arranged blood tests to make sure i was ovulating.

after a few months, i was pregnant. I cannot imagine if i stick on with Dr Ang. I know a lot of ppl still swear by him but i condem him already.

I consult with him for my last 2 pregnancy.
He is super busy doctor but he is really kind and care for his patient.
Perhaps he is handle so many pregnant mother that's why he do not have time to chat and does not want we will worry about our pregnancy.

Read this thread for the 4th time and decided that I should post for the benefit of those who are still considering to appt Dr Lawrence Ang (L Ang) as their gynae. I'm delivering my #3 and it's my first time visiting a male gynae and ive chosen, Dr L Ang. I have visited all different gynaes for varied reasons, namely not fully satisfied. Before i offend anyone or step on anyone's toes, i qualify to say that nobody is perfect so u can never find the perfect one. Therefore, to each his own. One man's medicine is another man's poison.

However, above thread stated quite a fair bit of myth and assumptions and that's why i've decided to speak up.

1) Yes, he speaks fast but he doesn't short change any queries u have for him. I often prepare my questions and queries in advance. There was once on my 3rd visit, I stop short of asking a question and I told him I'll ask on my next visited (on hind sight it seemed like a test but it wasn't intentional but in view of the crowd I thought the question could wait) but he urged me on to ask. So I conclude that every parent especially first time parents who are concerned be it for their own health, wife's interest or NB's we should read up on our own and gynae is there to provide solutions and/or alternatives. They should not be there to "educate" due to time and life constraints (L Ang delivers almost one bb every day, he said, as I was asking if TMC is often over crowded with deliveries and would run out of beds. Ans: never) but instead using their professional opinion and experiences to provide answers to queries and doubts. So I can understand why L Ang's answers are often short & sweet but to the point. But again of course it's just his pov. To some who are not used to his curt, short answers may feel short changed.

2) the nurses ask the parents and /or mommy to come back so that they can either go have lunch or do their errands ESP when there are already a lot of unanticipated walk-ins. I appreciate that rather to be staying there and waiting.

3) there is a queue system. The faster u drop your appointment card in the box on the table, that is the sequence of priority ESP if u already have an appointment. As in all clinics walk-in have to come after appointed schedule. That's only fair.

4) ESP during situation where his client is about to be delivered at TMC, it is understandable and reasonable that all other patients at his clinic has to wait (if clinic is full day operation or sents patients home). A life is about to come into this world! Like hunnymommy said, if u r the one in there u would want your gynae to attend to u ASAP.

5) it is already stated in your birthing report if u wish to opt for C-sec, natural, assisted or non-assisted ie epidural, etc..etc.. Each visit L Ang will repeat what I opted for. So it may seemed that L Ang is making a decision while not at the hospital on behalf of the mommy to what seemingly as a post said "to delay time" which I think is definitely not the case. Its prolly coz the mommy has already decided on using epidural and therefore while he is still at clinic, the anesthetist can administer for her at TMC. Anyway, epi is not done by gynae.

6) I'm also contemplating to do away with episiotomy this time, since it's my last time, I want it to be as natural as possible, incl. no stitches... nothing as my tolerance for muscular contraction is far greater than nips and stitch. But I've read quite a fair bit on this and there is 2 school of thoughts. Cut is cleaner and no risk of tearing, tearing can heal better but when it goes beyond 2nd degree tear, that's when u wished u had done episiotomy. But I suppose it will be situational ie size of bb's head, how gynae control delivery of head that allows slow gradual stretching of the perineal tissue, ensure pelvic remains as low during birthing at all times. Anyway, I've voiced my concerns and preference to L Ang, I shall leave it in his hands and God's blessing to decide how it will be this time.

I have given a true and hopefully a fair view and wish all mommies and new mommies can have an enjoyable birthing experience.

i have delivered no 1 by Dr Ang. Very agreed to Monica Kwok.

People expectation are sky high. Look at how people comment abt childcare, food caterer, bosses, etc. Ur boss can be a the worst to u but the best to others. So it may be something to do with expectation.

I went to Dr Ang with this mentality in mind:
1. Long wait is a given thing. Every mommy tell me that long wait is common issue no matter which gynae u choose. (but i never wait more than 40min at Dr Ang with appointment) Also... be punctual

2. He talked fast.. agreed... Imagine if he speaks slow, surely someone here will also complaint. =)

3. He is not the type that educate u. So learn it urself and just ask ur points. He answered every question i asked

4. Imagine u apply for holiday and your boss made u change the schedule cox of work commitment. Will u accept? Dr is the same.

5. I opt for Epidural ways before my D day so it was written in my admission paper. So guys and gals.. when you hear a piece of story, don't just assume. THey may have hidden code and side story. =)

i went to his clinic for checkup today but was irritated with him and his plump nurse in his room. (the one who is at the counter) I waited for almost 2 hrs but saw him for only 5-7mins. the plump nurse came in and out inbetween our conversations and before she left, she put some notes on his table and was rudely blocked me. Dr Ang was no better. He was talking to her abt her trip back from china and wanted to see her photographs, asking what places she been to.. etc. she then went out to grab her pictures and came in again with her photos to talk...what is this service standard? Im a patient that pays money for his consultation, not to hear him gossip about holidays. can't they talk after work? Im sure they would have plenty of time later. He does not look professional and that nurse dresses like a toilet cleaner. I remembered the last time i was there she kept walking in and out of his room banging the door loudly. so irritating. i will not go back again. terrible experience.

Sorry that you didn’t have a good experience with Dr Ang back in 2011. I went to Dr Ang as he was recommended to me by my colleague, my colleague’s 3 kids were delivered successfully by Dr Ang without issues.

i went to his TMC clinic for the first visit and later switch to his Sembawang clinic cos consultation at Sembawang is $10 cheaper and there is a multi storey carpark just behind the clinic which makes it more convenient than TMC.

My overall experience is that consultation is not unnecessarily prolonged (approximately 10 min if I have no questions and if nothing alarming came out from the medical reports and scans). But when complications were discovered, I would get all the help and answers I need from Dr Ang in a succinct but professional manner. He gives me the facts simply and is straightforward, so I never have to second guess or be too overly worried.

I’ve had my fair share of complications for my first pregnancy, including a low placenta (as early as first trimester!!), GBS infection (this test is done during late second trimester) and even preterm dilation in my third trimester. I recalled during my first trimester I experienced spotting and my late night call was transferred directly to his mobile phone. So it was v comforting to know he will always be there to advise on immediate next steps. Now at Week 39, everything is stabilised with his medication and advice, and i’d be delivering anytime now! Imagine I was already dilated at week 34 and manage to keep baby in womb with steady growth till now. So i’m V grateful. Looking back, I have been emotionally stable and I don’t ever have to over worry because he doesn’t over worry me with information I don’t need to know, just follow his simple instructions and read up extra info from google. However if you are someone who likes to have Long chats and tender loving care and full explanations of every single risk u face, then dr Ang is not for u.

I read a lot of reviews about him and was at first hesitant. But somehow, my hubby was the one who convinced me to visit him again after my first chop chop experience and i’m Glad I did. Because he doesn’t over talk, we don’t need to wait too Long for each visit even when it’s v crowded and he is generous with hospitalization leave and MC in order to support the Mummy.

He didn’t try to sell me his package and we were the ones who had to initiate asking about his package, which turned out to be so affordable I can cry. He is definitely not the kind of money hungry doctor as he invested in a 3D scan machine recently and gave the scan shots of my baby to us free every time without charging additional fees.

The not so good part about him is that sometimes he has to leave his clinic for emergency surgeries and his nurses will not call you even if u have an appointment. So there were times when I waited for him to come back after 1 hour plus. But he could give me Mc to cover the waiting time and I will go Makan with hubby first. Energencies could happen to any Mummy including myself so i’ve no complaints. Nowadays I will always call his clinic to confirm with the Nurses that he is not out for emergency before travelling down to Sembawang.
So with dr Ang, you have to be proactive in managing your own time and come prepared with the questions u have for him.

Overall my hubby and I have grown to like him and I will go back to him for my second baby. Will update again on sewing and recovery after I give birth!

Hi mummies to be,

I’m back here to update my post since I have delivered my baby 2 weeks ago. My baby is healthy and she was delivered at full term by Dr Ang at mount Alvernia.

My overall delivery experience was positive. The actual pushing of baby took approx half an hour and the rest of time before that (10 hours) was just waiting for my cervix to dilate. Dr Ang and midwife Nerissa are so experienced and professional. The midwife gave me loads of tender loving care and assurance whereas Dr Ang was the one who called the shots on how to deal with the complications during my labour, assisted my delivery and stitched me up. They work v well together.

After the birth, I could walk around on day 2, pee and pass motion. I was given oral pain medication to cope with the pain for the first week. The stitches have healed very nicely and perineal area is no longer in pain by day 8 post delivery (natural birth). I went for a check up / scan at dr ang’s clinic 1 week after delivery to check for blood clots and to monitor the healing of the cut at my vagina. Everything was good. Thankful for quick healing and great stitching.

I will go back to Dr Ang if I get pregnant again.

Sorry that you didn’t have a good experience with Dr Ang back in 2011. I went to Dr Ang as he was recommended to me by my colleague, my colleague’s 3 kids were delivered successfully by Dr Ang without issues.

i went to his TMC clinic for the first visit and later switch to his Sembawang clinic cos consultation at Sembawang is $10 cheaper and there is a multi storey carpark just behind the clinic which makes it more convenient than TMC.

My overall experience is that consultation is not unnecessarily prolonged (approximately 10 min if I have no questions and if nothing alarming came out from the medical reports and scans). But when complications were discovered, I would get all the help and answers I need from Dr Ang in a succinct but professional manner. He gives me the facts simply and is straightforward, so I never have to second guess or be too overly worried.

I’ve had my fair share of complications for my first pregnancy, including a low placenta (as early as first trimester!!), GBS infection (this test is done during late second trimester) and even preterm dilation in my third trimester. I recalled during my first trimester I experienced spotting and my late night call was transferred directly to his mobile phone. So it was v comforting to know he will always be there to advise on immediate next steps. Now at Week 39, everything is stabilised with his medication and advice, and i’d be delivering anytime now! Imagine I was already dilated at week 34 and manage to keep baby in womb with steady growth till now. So i’m V grateful. Looking back, I have been emotionally stable and I don’t ever have to over worry because he doesn’t over worry me with information I don’t need to know, just follow his simple instructions and read up extra info from google. However if you are someone who likes to have Long chats and tender loving care and full explanations of every single risk u face, then dr Ang is not for u.

I read a lot of reviews about him and was at first hesitant. But somehow, my hubby was the one who convinced me to visit him again after my first chop chop experience and i’m Glad I did. Because he doesn’t over talk, we don’t need to wait too Long for each visit even when it’s v crowded and he is generous with hospitalization leave and MC in order to support the Mummy.

He didn’t try to sell me his package and we were the ones who had to initiate asking about his package, which turned out to be so affordable I can cry. He is definitely not the kind of money hungry doctor as he invested in a 3D scan machine recently and gave the scan shots of my baby to us free every time without charging additional fees.

The not so good part about him is that sometimes he has to leave his clinic for emergency surgeries and his nurses will not call you even if u have an appointment. So there were times when I waited for him to come back after 1 hour plus. But he could give me Mc to cover the waiting time and I will go Makan with hubby first. Energencies could happen to any Mummy including myself so i’ve no complaints. Nowadays I will always call his clinic to confirm with the Nurses that he is not out for emergency before travelling down to Sembawang.
So with dr Ang, you have to be proactive in managing your own time and come prepared with the questions u have for him.

Overall my hubby and I have grown to like him and I will go back to him for my second baby. Will update aagain after I give birth!

I had a very bad experience with Dr Don, feel he is not competent and professional. I so regretful signed his package.

Back