Dr HO from Mt Alvernia

Hi all,

I am a patient of Dr. Ho since 2003/4 as I have fibroids. I've visited quite a few gynae but I wasn't comfortable with them cos I dun feel the warmth and comfort. They are all too stern and no smile. My cousin and Aunt both delivered their bbs by Dr. Ho too.

I am currently about 6 weeks preg and this is my first preg. Am taking jab(49.22 wif GST) and duphaston($30 b4 GST) daily as I have brown discharge.

I do agree with all of you that he is a gd doc. He makes me feel comfortable and at ease and I trust his professionalism. And yes according to my cousin n Aunt there is no pain in his stitch. My aunt dun believe my cousin when she can get out of bed w/o pain after delivery as Her 1st preg stitch by her ex gynae was so painful that even peeing was pain so she strongly recommend Dr. Ho as she really can get out of bed and walk around after delivery for her 3rd child.

actually i heard from my gf who delivered at MT, dr ho is good and famous for his non-painful stitch but heard his charges are way too high as compared to rest

im still deciding if i should go to him...is there a long queue during each visit?

Hiya, I hope this thread is still active. Im not pregnant but have been trying to conceive for almost 2 years.

Has anyone gone through fertility treatments under Dr Ho? Just like to get some reviews.

Ok my girl was delivered by Dr Ho in July 2009. I just wanted to add he is a very cautious doc and my baby was induced the very day of my EDD (or 1 day later) eventhough cervix not dilated yet. I must add on: He is really a painless doc. I had emergency c-sect at 5pm+ and the next morning 8am i was able to stand up, walk to the counter to weight myself and in/out the nursery many many times to see my baby. The nurses at SR ward even laugh at me every morning walk to weight myself. I din wait for chance for pain to come. I just take whatever painkiller that was provided for me. But really there was no pain at all.

Yes the charges really give me a shock when I see the bill every time but will I change doc? No, still going back to Dr Ho.

Hi everyone!
Am in wk 22 myself and planning to change to Dr Ho all this while coz I've heard that he's gd. However, after one wk of chaser, I'm not getting a response from the clinic. They said they've passed a note and needed approval b4 slotting me in. not sure why though. Any feedback or advice from your goodself? And how are the nurses? I spoken to one in particular n found her utterly unhelpful and sounded very stuck up.

pls pm me at [email protected] if you have any advice for me.

thks

Hi

Just to share, Dr Ho recently delivered my baby. It was an induced birth coz I was overdue by almost a week already. It's true that Dr Ho is a "zero risk" person, his priority is the safety of the baby and the mother. He's actually a very nice doctor although he may seem to be rushing at times (because there is often a long queue). The nurses are great. If you think they look grouchy, you should see the appointment book (they are practically running back to back with little break in between) so must understand them lah....

I had this episode where I was puking very badly in my first trimester andhad very bad cramps I could't even sit up. Called the clinic at 12pm and told them I was vomiting non-stop for the last 6 hrs, all fluids coming out. They told me to come down immediately and said they will slot me in as emergency case. I was put as the last patient before lunch. Dr Ho saw me, said that losing too much fluids was not good for baby and me and gave me a job. He then told me to lie down in the room (coz no more patients) and said that I could lie there in the room till I was feeling better to move. One of the nurses then made me a cup of milo and gave me some biscuits to eat before I left, saying that I'd better be steady to walk bafore getting a cab back home.

It was the extra mile that Dr Ho and the nurses went to that really touched me. My pregnancy was also one that required tough decisions to be made and Dr Ho was very forthcoming in sharing his views with me which allowed me to make informed decisions. I am very glad to have him as my gynae and though his charges may be a bit more, I feel it's worth it for the experience that he has.

Hi Janice, perhaps u should wait awhile more. Same thing happen to me when I swop my gynac to dr ho. The nurse are actually very busy that's y they are not so polite at times over the phone. They are actually very nice in person. Except there is 1 nurse, forgot what's the name but should be the oldest among all talk slightly louder la which makes ppl feel that she is not so polite. She is nice too, maybe she is the 1 who answer your call. Once they call u to go for the appointment means dr ho will take u in under his care. He is a nice and funny doctor. I would strongly recommend u to him if u don't mind about his charges. If can, try to arrange early appointment before 9.30am. Waiting time will be shorter, probably before 1hr will be done. If not u got to wait up to 2hrs most of the time. It will be even longer if he went up to deliver babies as it's very common everyday cause most of my visit I always heard nurses saying he is going up to deliver. Hope this will help u.. ^_^

Hi.. Dr Ho delivered my 2nd baby a week ago, it was an induced birth too. My 1st baby was delivered by him too.. Thumbs up for him
happy.gif

Oops forget to add that, he'll usually walk round the ward to visit his patient every morning at abt 9am.

Hi Sylvia

I delivered in Aug'11. His antenatal package is $900 starting from Week 20. Delivery charges : Natural $1300 , Assisted delivery $1750 , C-sect $2600.

Hi all, like to share my first & bad experience at the clinic. My appt was supposed to be at 11am which i reached on time and did some simple health screening. Upon completing i was eagerly waiting for my turn to consult Dr Ho. However, the nurses kept giving those late comers to see him first. I confronted the nurses twice and guessed what excuses they gave? They claimed those people came earlier to register and went off to other place. I totally disagreed as i saw 5-6 patients went to the counter to register first and all get to see Dr Ho.. Too disappointment, i left the clinic and decided that other clinic might have better service...
sad.gif

I gave birth to my boy on 2007, natural birth by Dr Ho. after birth to discharge i feel pain when i walk and i try to feel with my hand and not sure whether there's somemore stitches in the wound, i then go back to him, and he confirm had forgotten to unstitches it, his nurse said this seldom happened and i had suffered more than a week....

Dr Ho is Gd. Had him for my 3 children, can walk after delivery. He is also a cautious doctor who will not put you or the baby at risk. As for the price, it depends on individual. I personally think is alright as I know I am in the safe hand of Dr Ho.
happy.gif
refer a handful of friends to him and they commented he is good.

Hi Dr Ho is very skillful. I had two c section done by him n recovered fast even though both were challenging c sections. My first baby was almost 5kg and by instinct Dr Ho dutifully came back after his supper to check how i was doing after surgery earlier in the afternoon. He found big blood clot in me which was dangerous. He put on his gloves n cleaned me up at the hospital bed. I have never seen so much blood on someone's hands! He just did it so swiftly and so decisively. After that i felt the abdomen so relieved. My second pregnancy was a low placenta case and blood vessels erupted on delivery. Dr Ho worked v fast to stitch me up to stop bleeding without alarming me (was conscious). I learned from my husband afterwards that it was life threatening too.

So if you ask me, fees should not be main consideration when selecting a gynae. I want to thank Dr Ho on this forum. I am not sure if this site is monitored by his staff but this is genuinely how I feel about my personal experience! My second child is turning four in a few days and my gratitude towards Dr Ho still stays.

Hi. I've been going to Dr Ho for the past 5 months plus or so. Initially i thought he was a slow-to-warm gynae, and given all the rave reviews on his painless delivery skills/excellent stitching I've decided to stick to him throughout this pregnancy and wait for him to warm up. After an episode with his clinic nurse yesterday, that was about the last straw and i'm looking around for another gynae. Any recommendations will be helpful!!

Some experiences in the clinic...
- lack of TLC: he's not very assuring, just states facts, doesnt seem to be pleased whenever i ask questions but I'm a 1st time mom...? so i guess he expects me to Google everything on my own? i would prefer having a gynae that explains and addresses my concerns instead of relying on the internet and forumers' advices all the time...
-fast ultrasound scans of my baby, sometimes just about 5 seconds to measure the length of baby and he will switch the monitor off...i dont even get to see the baby moving or the baby's heartbeat (fyi-the clinic charges $80 for each ultrasound scan plus a few printouts, usually one picture given)
-waiting time: average an hour or more

Episode yesterday: The nurse called and told me that there's an hour gap between the patient before me and mine, so asked me if i could make it earlier for today. Because my pregnancy has been difficult I'm always accompanied by either my parents or my husband outdoors, i called back and said that we will have to stick to our given appointment time today. I explained that my husband was working and by the time he finishes work we can only reach at the previously agreed time. She then told me that once the patients before me are finished with Dr Ho, Dr Ho may leave the clinic and she cannot guarantee that he will return.

I was caught off guard by what she said, and I asked naively "But how about my appointment slot? There's still my appointment?" She pointedly replied that she had already told me to come to the clinic an hour earlier to avoid the situation, but I refused (she used the word refused in chinese). I told her not that i refused, but that I need transport to the clinic because i have fainting spells daily and need to wait for the husband. My bp is so low that the other nurses have noticed it previously, and it's in my records. She said that I could take a cab down to the clinic first on my own, and get the husband to head down to Dr Ho's when he's done with his work. Whatever it is, she cannot help it if the doctor doesnt return for me, if i reach at my pre-arranged timing.

I understand clinics would like to close earlier on Saturdays, but I think it might be rather unfair to force me to change my timeslot to a timing that's inconvenient. Given that she called only yesterday for today's appointment, it was too late to make any changes. And what if I faint and fall on my way alone to the hospital? Who will be held responsible for that?

Having said all these, i can't imagine someone of Dr Ho's status disappearing on his patients. I would like to think that it was just the young nurse who wanted to shift the appointments earlier to facilitate the clinic's operating hours, but her bad attitude over the phone made me feel very uncomfortable. I would like to think that Dr Ho would be surrounded with staff as professional as he is...

Husband and I are quite sad to have to change gynae because i'm already halfway through, they have my records and Dr Ho's been reviewed as very good. But I haven't been experiencing the tlc that i thought i'd get and my friends have been egging me to find another gynae. Again, any good gynae recommendations appreciated! Just need one that will talk more than 3 mins to me, scans baby for me to see and answers questions. No need to fuss over me. Appreciate any feedback i can get!!!!

Ashley M: I totally understand what u mean and how u feel. A friend recommended Dr Ho and i read great reviews online (but were mostly few years back) and thus chose him to be my obgyn.

I find that he has mood swings, and he is usually in a bad mood 60-70% of the time. And when that happens, he is snappy, doesn't tell me much (first time mum as well), and brushes off my questions sarcastically or goes round a big bush with his "fatherly" theories.

come on, i pay you lots not to hear your neverending complaints about patients/staff but to hear genuine advise about my pregnancy! thus, hubby and i both agreed that we will never recommend Dr Ho to anyone due to his lack of bedside manners and impatience. i stuck with him because i had threatened abortion during my first tri and needed weekly jabs, and subsequently signed a package at week 20.

am now at week 34, so im just hoping he does a good job for my delivery with good stitches as what everyone says....otherwise it would have been a waste of money cause he is expensive!

Hi Imogen...

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I didnt think that he would have mood swings with other patients, i thought it was only me. There was a day though, that he told me he was in a "jolly good mood" (probably the first and last time i saw him in a good mood, and i saw him almost every week because of my spotting - i also took twice weekly jabs) and was nice enough to let me see baby's head, arms and legs that day.

From then on i kept hoping that he would be in a good mood when he met me, but alas it was a one-off for me. Lol.

As for the brushing off/sarcastic part that you'd experienced: There was once when i asked him if the water in the water bag was enough because the baby looked quite cramped in there. I knew it was a silly question but I was worried because I had been puking alot for ten plus weeks. He told me that it was God's way of creating the baby and water bag level like that, and told me I shouldnt interfere with Mother Nature. I'm a Christian, but I thought the usual answer would be a "yes dont worry the amount is normal" or a "yes it's normal" or "actually no it's not" but i didnt expect that kind of answer. o_O I wasn't trying to interfere or doubt Mother Nature, man...

It's good to hear that you're already at week 34 with ur baby, i'm sure he will do a good job since he's so experienced. A few more weeks to go, and you'll never have to see him or hear him complain about patients/staff again!

hahaha Ashley your example of that "mother nature" answer is most classic! he answers all my questions in a similar fashion and yes like you, all i wanted to hear was a straight answer. I guess that's his style; that is to never to give a straight answer.. probably to protect himself in case anything goes wrong in the pregnancy.

one thing for sure is that he is very "kiasi". i was seeing him very frequently thus asked if he could give hospitalisation leave instead of MC. He came up with his lengthy story on how hospitalisation leave came about and how we cannot abuse the system, might get sued by the MOH etc. And when i wanted a letter to certify me fit for travel on flight, AGAIN there was a lecture on why airlines needed it - so that in case of a miscarriage the airline would blame the doctor. So, he performed a vaginal scan (cost about $70) just to be sure i am deem fit for travel, when all my other friend's obgyn didn't.

My hubby says that well at least we know that he is a careful doctor. And i speak up against him more lately, am getting quite tired of his inadequateness.

All the best with your new gynae hunt! If you are still seeing Dr Ho again, perhaps you should mention about the rearrangment of your appointment and let him know of your displeasure since he is always lamenting about how he expects great customer service from his staff
happy.gif

sorry for late reply imogen! yes i understand there's a need to protect himself lest anything goes wrong..but sometimes it's nice to hear something affirmative eh? i can imagine why, being him, he would have given u the lengthy story on the leave vs MC thing...all in all it's not a bad thing that he's so careful, just that we find it troublesome to get our requests fulfilled (and sometime at additional cost!)! :/

u should speak up even more! not left with many weeks to, and besides..ure really also considered a customer and entitled to voicing out ur thoughts.

i on the other hand, found a lovely female gynae in TMC and i felt really happy after the 1st appointment with her! this was how i should have felt for five months, instead of just sucking it up at Dr Ho's clinic! ERGH!!!!!!!

Ashley: glad you've found a suitable gynae!! mind sharing who is she? hehe yes! you should feel happy cause baby can feel our emotions
happy.gif

all the best of your pregnancy and delivery ya!

how're you imogen! you must be excited counting down! she's Dr Joycelyn Wong
happy.gif
Seems nice and i'm looking forward to my next appt (rarity, rarity).

I'm with Dr Ho for my first preg n now my second one. Agree that he has his mood swings especially on super busy days. But I do see another side of him in my current preg. I'm 7 mths pregnant now n it has been rather problematic. However, Dr Ho has been very reassuring. He has been monitoring me closely too. So being kiasu is good for me n bb.

Actually, if u wan to know if a gynae is really good, it's not just the prenatal visits. After my exp with Dr Ho during my first preg, I realized one can only tell if the gynae is truly good n
experienced after delivery. The most imp n crucial test for any gynae is during the labour process n delivery. This is why for my second bb, I decided to go back to him again.

I'm also seeing Dr Ho. I agree he's a very careful doctor and never take risks, that why my hubby resonated with him and insisted that I go back to him for second preg this time. The first time, he did very well for my delivery and stitches are good. He's super experienced. He told me that he has to be careful because he worked in KKH before as a young doctor and he saw certain decisions taken has caused patients to lose the baby. He's now promoted to the Chairman of Medical Board I think, so he's more busy. Agree that scanning usually is very fast but I'm ok with it, as long as he says baby is safe. The ultra sound scan usually can't see clearly. He told me this is baby's face, baby's legs etc... but I can't really make it out... My friend did hers in Poland (she stays there) and she showed me her scans. Very nice and can see clearly while all my Singaporean friends' scans are something like mine. Maybe its the equipment problem? I usually don't want to spend too long at the gynae's clinic, just make sure everything is ok and then I can go back and do my stuff so for me, Dr Ho is ok. There's a recent change of staff though. Susan is the usual assistant in Dr Ho's room but she's not working there anymore. She's one of fav nurse who comforted me when I went to the clinic when my water bag broke. A young nurse took over and I can see Dr Ho is not so comfortable due to the change. He kept having to give her instructions while with Susan, he can chat with her more, and Susan is also very nice to patients.

I have my baby delivered by Dr. Ho last weekend via c-sect. It's true his checkup sessions are very quick and he is a man of little words. It is rare to find him in a good mood and yes, when we try to dig for more details, he either has short snappy answers, or long grandfather theories as replies. I didn't mind the short sessions so much as this is my 3rd baby, so less curious about the whole pregnancy.

But he definitely does live up to his reputation about his surgical skills. This is my 3rd c-sect (previous 2 was not done by him), and I emphasized to him that I came to him for this pregnancy cos of his reputation of being the pain free doctor. Indeed, amazingly, the most painful part of the whole delivery process was the insertion of the IV drip for the epidural ( equivalent to pain of taking blood test). Other the drip was put on, there was no more pain whatsoever. I was out of bed the very next day and walking without help. The c-sect wound only felt a little sore and stingy, but there was no need to take pain killers. By the end of the week, I was mobile and agile like normal already.

Dr. Ho's charges are high, but considering how pain free this delivery was, I would definitely recommend him for his skills.

Dr Ho is recommended by my brother and my sil. They told me i will be in safe hands if i go to him. Currently this is my second pregnancy, and yes i still go back to him.

my personal comments on Dr HK Ho (Mt A) based on experiences:

- very experienced & cautious gynae (good for those who are trying for babies or have miscarriages before) Note that there are some gynaes who doesn't care and yes they are of coz cheaper.
- gives his 200% to make sure mother and baby is 101% safe and well
- influential doctor at Mt A, very confident doc. The nurses there knows his standards.
- very good at surgery, stitching is very good (cannot even see the stitches for my case after a few mths for 1st pregnancy amazingly) & i m sure he is proud of his surgical skills too.
- detailed in his scanning, although he's such a busy man with a lot of patients & surgery.
- my sil had c-sect for both child, next day she can come off bed and walk.

- doesn't talk nonsense with you, he's professional and everything that he said is back by concrete facts
- sometimes he may appear that he's no nonsense at his clinic (maybe he has alot of patients & surgical in the noon) but actually when you are at ward delivering, he is very caring and patient towards you. He will say words to encourage you too. He do have his soft side and he assures you.
- expensive charges, to me yes its expensive but its worth every single cent based on his attributes.
- his clinic nurses are helpful, if you have problems with Mt A wards nurses you can call the clinic

I had my first baby delivered by him in June last year. Before I delivered my baby, my husband and I always joke and say we will find a cheap gynae for 2nd one if any, coz we always go and see him for less than 5 mins and we are out. He always talk to my husband more than me and he makes very "cold" jokes. hahaha..

However, when the day came, I had a "show" and went to the hospital. He told the nurse he would induce me as I was a few days away from EDD and I was only 1cm dilated. He came into the delivery suite and told me he would deliver the baby that same day. Unexpectedly, when he broke my water bag, my baby has pooped inside. Being a no risk doctor, he of course had to tell me the danger etc of the baby pooping inside me, and told me I could do an immediate c-sect. It was very tough for me and my husband at that time coz I wanted a natural delivery. He told me we could wait and monitor baby heart beat but he recommends I take epidural immediately.

Long story short, I delivered my 3.83kg baby and I had a lot of tears. That same night I was in so much pain that I took painkillers and did not work. He came to visit me that same night and immediately try to clean me up but told me I have clots. I went into a surgery that night. My husband told me the next day that he was very assuring that I would be fine. I remembered when I was in the OT, he assured me that I would be fine coz even another doctor said I was extremely pale.

Anyway, I stayed in the hospital for 5 days and had blood transfusion. I think I was very happy with him professionalism and throughout he was very assuring. WHen the nurses had to clean me up, they told me they can't see the stitches too. Dr Ho told me that he came back that night coz he felt something was amiss when the nurses keep calling him to tell him I was in pain. Most of the nurses just tell me that its normal pain coz I delivered.

If anyone ask me, I highly recommend Dr Ho. You will not know how good a gynae is until you deliver. He has his quirks but i think most importantly is to make sure he has the experience and skills.

I'm currently seeing Dr Ho now... I am into my 33w already.

His charges are still as steep but you know that your baby will be in good hands, money can alwAys earn back later...

The first consultation is about $400+ then subsequent visit will be about $200+

There may be tests or checks that he will ask you to do if there is something he feels not right, so be prepared for it also.

He will only offer his package to you at about 24w at $1200.

so far my visits to him has all been very good. No mood swings like what people say and he is always in good mood. :)

I just went to visit Dr Ho for my first consultation today. the charges were less than 300 so I guess that's ok? Contrary to what's said, he was very warm and patient with us. We spoke for quite a while and he volunteered information that he thinks that we need to know.

Hi, I'm still debating whether to see Dr Ho at Mt A again as he delivered my3rd/ youngest girl in 2006. My first two kids were delivered by another gynae at Gleneagles.
So he used to say, "So you're consulting me now instead of your first doc because I'm better?" Duh:confused:

Is he still as super confident as before?

I stopped seeing him as after my 3rd kid's delivery a few months later, he found a cyst and wanted to do surgery after I saw him after 4x or so. I still wanted to wait-and-see so I sought a 2nd opinion with another gynae at Parkway East.

Now to cut long story short, I'm miscarrying/bleeding my 4th pregnancy naturally and wondering whether to seek 2nd opinion with him as I don't like the way this current Parkway East gynae is managing my miscarriage.

Thanks for views.

yes. He is still as good. No second thoughts to go back to him! I went through the natural with epidural with him. Induced birth actually. He is worth every single cent and he live up to the painless reputation!!!

Any mummy who delivered recently with Dr Ho can advise on his charges for natural / csect?

Hi,

My gynae is Dr Ho and his current charges are:

$1400 for antenatal package which begins at week 20
it covers all scheduled antenatal consultations, weight and blood pressure measurements, routine urine tests for sugar and protein, ultrasound scans and a growth placenta localisation scan at 32 to 34 weeks.

His delivery fees are:

Normal: $1900-$2500 ($600 claimable by medisave)
Assisted:$2300-$2900 ($850 claimable by medisave)
Caesarean: $3900-$4900 ($1450 claimable by medisave)

I personally found Dr Ho a very amiable and friendly doctor, he was reassuring, gentle as well as calm. Though his charges are very high, he has a solid reputation and that is most important to my husband and I. Heard his stitching for caesarean is top notch too and recovery is fast, will most likely opt for c-sect thus he was the top choice in choosing gynae.
Hope this information helps all you ladies! <3

Thanks so much for the update Charlene!

Hi,

My gynae is Dr Ho and his current charges are:

$1400 for antenatal package which begins at week 20
it covers all scheduled antenatal consultations, weight and blood pressure measurements, routine urine tests for sugar and protein, ultrasound scans and a growth placenta localisation scan at 32 to 34 weeks.

His delivery fees are:

Normal: $1900-$2500 ($600 claimable by medisave)
Assisted:$2300-$2900 ($850 claimable by medisave)
Caesarean: $3900-$4900 ($1450 claimable by medisave)

I personally found Dr Ho a very amiable and friendly doctor, he was reassuring, gentle as well as calm. Though his charges are very high, he has a solid reputation and that is most important to my husband and I. Heard his stitching for caesarean is top notch too and recovery is fast, will most likely opt for c-sect thus he was the top choice in choosing gynae.
Hope this information helps all you ladies! <3

Back