Dr Douglas Ong from Bukit Panjang Plaza

cindy,
thanks for the info.

littleger,
wah, so scary.. hope that won't happen to us.
as for your aunt and her baby, they are ok, right? Lucky for them no doctor also can deliver the baby.

I also glance at MOH's average cost for delivery at the 2 hospitals. If have to go for c-section, the difference is more than $1K on average, v.ex.
btw the doctor's charge/fee in the 2 hospitals, is it the same or also different?

Hi littleger,
but is it betta since Dr Ong's clinic is at Mt E so he can come by to see us easier?

Hi mum2b,
regarding the doctor's fee, r u referring to baby's or yours? Dr Ong delivery charges is inclusive in the package so it's standard across.
The baby's charges is not stated for the 2 hospitals. But Dr Ong's package did indicate a range for the baby's checkup, etc.

Hi Cindy
I don't think it makes a difference if Dr Ong's clinic is at Mt E, b'coz he can also be at Bukit Panjang or delivering in Mt A when we are in labour. Moreover, getting him to visit us each time after delivery costs! Each visit is abt $100+...

Baby's charges are according to the pediatrician. In Dr Ong's package, there is mention abt pediatrician charges for 1st baby checkup when born. Unless we specify we have delicated pediatrician, otherwise, Dr Ong will get one to do it...

littleger,
Yup both my hubby n i prefer a girl
happy.gif

and yes 3D scan was quite clear...u'll get a picture of your baby too! can't really see baby's eyes, but can see the nose, mouth, head/face shape, etc
happy.gif

cindy,
i started package at the beginning of my 2nd trimester. And yes, stools turn greenish after taking vitamins. It will most probably remain greenish till we stop taking the pills!

mum2b,
maybe Dr Ong didn't give u any multi-vits coz u're having bad MS and some pple find that taking multi-vit causes MS to be even worse. Anyway 1st trimester bb doesn't need much nutrients so it's ok
happy.gif

when u choose hospital, just tell Dr Ong which hosp u choose n they'll book for you. Then the hospital will send u a confirmation saying that you hv booked. As long as u book before u're 34 weeks pregnant can already
happy.gif

mum2be,
yah.. my aunt n her bb both are fine! i suppose even if no doc ard, the midwife will help..

cindy,
like wat terrier said, i think it makes no diff whether near his clinic onot.. if u wan dr ong to visit you, you got to pay a fee! so if both mama n bb are fine, there's no need for him to come down.

durianlover,
wahhh... but dr ong will only give us ONE 3D pic right? i was thinking if only can see the eyes of the bb... den will know single or double eyelids!! hahaha... too bad can't! i sure hope when i go for my 3D scan, she won't be sleeping!!

Oh yah, btw... just curious abt one thing - will the gynae be able to know the weight of our bb when doing the scanning? I think i saw in some threads tat got some mamas know the weight of their bb??!!

littleger,
yes Dr Ong only gave 1 3D pic..well u can try asking him for more if u want! But he will record down some shots of baby moving, etc and u can choose to buy a CD-ROM containing all the stuff of the 3D scan at an extra $30.
haha my hb n i also asked if our baby has single or double eyelids! But at that time baby's eyes not open yet (i was 23wks during my detailed scan) so Dr Ong says won't be able to tell. Also, in case u're wondering, baby also wouldn't have grown hair by then so no point wondering if baby has got hair or not! Hee coz we also asked Dr Ong if can see baby's hair or not.

Yes gynae can give an estimate of baby's weight - it's basically an estimate after taking some measurements of baby, then multiplying by some formula to come up with the estimated weight. i think Dr Ong will only start to tell u the weight of baby starting from 16wks n above? something like that...

durianlover,
*blushes* i don't think i dare to ask more pics from him, kinda embarassing... wahhh.... still can buy CD-ROM containing the 3D scan from him?? Sure knows how to make money huh.. so did u buy??
hey, so u mean if the baby's eyes are open, he might be able to tell if single or double eyelids? Geez.... i'm so excited!!! Cos my hubby got big eyes w double eyelids while i got single...!! hahaha...

Ladies, do u girls ask Dr Ong alot of questions when u go for chk up? Cos seem like i didn't have much things to enquire from him! Any particular questions i shld ask from him?

Hi durianlover,
so u start the package during the 3rd month? me only start next month on the 4th month leh....

i thot Dr Ong has a $1800 package if u wan more 3D pics? so dun think he will give more if we ask rite? The CD sounds interesting..

littleger,
me one side double eyelid, the other side single and hubby single... so i also quite interested to know wat baby got. but i guess should be single lah. hehe
i dun ask him a lot of qns too. he will always ask me at the end, "Anything else u want to know?"

cindy,
yah! i also find the CD things quite interesting!
I also started my package from my 4th mth onward...
hey, u think u really will ask Dr ong to keep the gender as a secret till u due? hehehe..

Hi littleger,
hehe, dun think i can tahan until then leh...
prob i'll ask him on the next visit. :p

For a few days, i've been feeling very gd and it's like not pregnant at all. But then, i will start thinking if baby is doing ok. Kinda miss seeing baby...
any of u bought the equipment to listen and talk to baby? i'm a bit tempted to buy but not sure if it's useful... think only can use from 5th mth onwards.

cindy,
yah... my brother bought this "Bebe Sound" set for mi... i've already start using it for about a few weeks though i haven't reach the 5th mth. It contains a maternity belt, microphone, speakers and a classical cd. i only play it to my bb when i'm free.. so no fix timing and not everyday lor. I dunno if it's really useful but it says it will help to stimulate the fetus and so far i oni play music to the little one... haven't try using the microphone to talk to her. Sometimes i think i can feel her movements when i'm the playing the music... hahaha... u might like to try!

hi ladies,
Felt so upset these few days... realised that my arms become more flabby and oso bigger!! How envy those preggies who don't put on extra fat on other parts of their body except the growing tummy. Last night asked my hubby to use the measuring tape to measure my arm and i got scolded by him! I'm so worried that i will look like a fat pig as time goes by b4 my due date!! *sobs*

Morning littleger,
me too... my face is the first part that showed that i'm fat. Since 1st tri, pple have been telling me i'm fatter w/o knowing i'm preg. i also use measuring tape to measure my tummy yesterday.. so scary, think i can wear my hubby's pants already.
We can't do anything abt the fats now, so long we make it a pt to slim down after delivey.
Cheers to the fats!

Cindy,
how many kg did you put on up to now? sigh... man can never understand how much a woman sacrifices when they decide to have a kid! haha...

Hi littleger,
so far abt 4+kg... u leh?
One of my colleague is in her 7mth now.
She only put on 7kg in total, i'm already more than half of that!

Cindy,
HAR!! 4+kg only!!.... i've put on ard 6kg ley!!
wahhh... on average one mth ard 1kg! but she looks ok? i mean her tummy... issit BIG?

littleger,
u in 19th week, i only 15th week already 4+kg.. think i will be fatter by week 19 hehe.
She's those type only big on her tummy lor... colleagues were saying her tummy is on the small side. But her gynae say her baby is bigger than normal leh.

hi gals,
did all of you had NT scan already? what is it like, how long and how much does it cost?
about the ante-natal package, do all of you take it? What is covered under the package, and is it really cheaper than paying for individual consultation?

Cindy,
kinda amazing... small tummy but baby is bigger than normal! And the best part is she only put on 7kg so far! For me, i really hope i dun gain any more fats on other parts of my body... worried i can't get rid of it after delivery!!

littleger,
yes i bought the CD-ROM from him. We didn't mind spending the $30 on that
happy.gif
Can see baby sticking out her tongue, moving her mouth, etc etc. Quite cute
happy.gif

erm no baby's eyes wldn't have opened by 24 wks, so can't see if big/small eyes. Anyway even if baby's eyes open, i'm not sure if Dr Ong can tell whether single or double eyelid!

cindy,
i may hv remembered wrongly...think i signed package only in 4th month..haha can't remember.
and i sound like your colleague who put on 7kg...haha
happy.gif
put on abt 6kg and almost into my 8th month already. My baby also bigger than normal but only difference is that my tummy is huge! hee
happy.gif
i guess different pple turn out differently
happy.gif

terrier,
yes 3D scan = detailed scan = FA scan. Got a few terms for it
happy.gif

durianlover,
i tot only 4D scan can see the motion of the bb? i read that the difference between 3D n 4D is one is stationary while the other one can see the movement of the bb. I was scheduled my detailed scanning on the 23wks (next mth).. wondered if it's kinda early for detailed scanning? I tot if the detailed scanning is to be done later then we can actually see more clearly of the bb features? hee..
Anyway, think i'm going to get the CD-ROM from him too! hehee.. issit buy on the spot or got to wait for collection?
So envy of you... how come u only put on 6kg in your 8th mth?? U eat little? I've put on 2.2kg within a mth!! Dr Ong still said it's normal...
Today Dr Ong's clinic is very packed... my chk-up was super fast!!

Terrier,
When are you going for ur detailed scan? Ain't u excited? hahaha.. i'm looking forward to my next appt.. can see how my little precious looks like!

Hi Littleger

Based on Dr Ong's package, there supposed to be 2 detailed scans rite?

I haven't schedule for my detailed scan yet, only schedule for normal appt around mid Dec, b'coz I'll be going holiday next week. The clinic assistant said that detailed scan is done between week 20-24...So I should still be in time for the detailed scan. My only concern is that Sat timing might be fully booked, if there's any...

Are you scheduled on Sat appt for the detailed scan?

hi terrier,
If i'm not wrong, the package only consists of 1 detailed scan.

Dr ong told me the detailed scan will be on wkday and when the clinic assistant fix my next appt, she gave me a wkday also and i choose morning appt so i got to take leave to go for the scanning. I believe it shld be quite hard to get sat appt but u can try.

how come no-pay leave? u don't have any more AL??

yup yup! He will be going with me... in fact, he always accompany me for every chk-up!

Hey, u going for holiday next mth? Where are you going? Actually i've been wanting to go for holiday too.. but i worried will be quite troublesome for pregnant woman to travel... so i drop the idea. U got tell Dr Ong u going for holiday? Best to let him know!

littleger,
the detailed scan that i'm referring to is the 4D one which u can see baby's movements. Haha this thing abt 3D n 4D makes me confused! Anyway it's called detailed scan. And like what terrier says, it's done between 20-24 weeks. i heard that most gynaes do it before 23wks coz detailed scan can show up some abnormalities (if any) that baby has, and some pple might wanna abort. Abortion is only allowed till baby is 23 wks or something like that...that's why detailed scan cannot be done too late.

CD-ROM: pay on the same day as detailed scan but can only collect later!

littleger,
no lah our package all doesn't include the detailed scan. Think it's stated there...detailed scan is compulsory but not included as part of package. Think i paid something like $140 for it? Can't really rem...$100+ lah. My package is the $1.5k one.

HAR!! Our package doesn't include the detailed scan? I didn't notice this part... i thot our package includes 1 detailed scan! Hmm... must go thru the package again.. i must have missed out some parts!
durianlover, your delivery date is getting nearer... are u scare? Is this ur first bb?

Ah...my AL all used up liao.... :p
I'll going Perth next week
happy.gif

I'm oso surprised that the scan is not included in the pkg, I'll go home and check the doc...

hmm i think if i remember correctly, our package doesn't include detailed scan. But knowing my poor memory these days, i cld hv remembered wrongly! Hee so if i remember wrongly pls pardon me!

terrier,
enjoy your Perth trip! i also went to Perth when i was 4months preggie
happy.gif
Had a good time!!

littleger,
yes this is my 1st baby...very scary yet exciting as delivery date draws nearer!

Recently heard alot of collgeaues describing their delivery experiences... sound really scary to me. Suddenly feel very scare... on one hand really looking forward to her arrival, but on the other, i'm feeling very scared.
kao_cry.gif
I can't take pain but i don't wan to opt for epidural cos of the side effect next time. Arghhhhh...
sad.gif
I need courageeeeeeeee!!!!

gd morning ladies!
Hi terrier,
u used up ur AL, i used up my MC... hehe
so must take leave for Dr Ong's appt.
Enjoy ur trip!

littleger,
so from ur colleagues' experiences, is it true 1st time take very long to deliver? i read abt those contractions stuff that will even start weeks b4 the delivery.. so scared, too gan ciong dun know when is the rite time to go hospital.

hi littleger

I oso wanted very much to avoid epidural if can go for natural birth...I cann't bear the thick needle poking into my spine....saw the process on TV...
sad.gif
but my colleague says the needle poking is nothing as compared to labour pain...

but so far, all the cases I heard, mummies can't tahan the pain, for those who didnt take epidural, actually admit defeat and ask for it, but it's too late for them to take it liao...

I oso very very scared leh...
sad.gif
*sob*sob*

cindy & terrier,

I don't think contractions will start weeks b4 delivery lah..!! Oni when u are to deliver... den will give u signal. But u don't go hosp immediately, got to monitor the frequency of the contractions... den call ur gynae and let him know and he will know when u shld go to the hosp. Den faster go take shower, wash hair.. blah blah.. Rem to pack ur stuffs to bring to the hosp beforehand! terrier, though the needle poke is nothing compare to labour pain, but the cost of e side effect of taking epidural is not worth paying for. I've heard some will vomit then some will have aching and certain part of ur body will feel numb.. not just for tat day itself.. it's the later on thing. My colleagues all advised mi not to take cos they said if we never go through labour pain, we wouldn't know how much pain we can actually take! It's true that if u opt for epidural, you got to tell the midwife b4hand... can't wait till u cannot tahan the pain den u said u wan.. will be too late. i saw this post b4 tat there's tis woman who opt for epidural got poked for several times b4 they got the correct spot! So horrible right? So we must think so many women can go thru all this w/o epidural, we oso can!! Den we will know how much our mothers sacrificed for us when they gave birth to us. Must pray our bb all guai guai.. come out smooth smooth and fast fast. Don't torture the mummy so much!
cindy, when is ur due date? Mine is quite close to terrier... so we will go earlier than you!

Actually hor...it seems epidural is so common now that ppl thinks since got pain relief...y suffer so much? That's what my colleague told me....only b'coz she took it, then can relax n dilating would come fast...she's lucky though, no immediate side effect after that....

Now, I only thinking how and what I can do now to build up my body so that body can be fit by then to prepare for the natural birth...
Worst scenario is I even afraid I might ganna c-section, b'coz I put on weight fast leh...then bb become too big to come out....
sad.gif

Hi Cindy
Yours is early, mid or late May?

Putting on weight fast doesn't mean ur bb is big in size. Must see whether is the mother who is absorbing all the food or the bb. Did Dr Ong say anything abt the size of ur bb? If not, i think shld be normal. Dun worry too much.. what you shld do now to build up ur body is eat more nutritious food... don't snack too much. Take lotsa proteins.. very impt!
hahah.. say so much but i can't help worrying for myself oso! i oso keep telling myself not to think so much... but sometimes just can't help it!

btw, talking abt our packages.. all along i thot the 3D scan is referring to detailed scan? cos i went thru the package details yest n noticed the package excludes detailed scan. And there are actually 2 detailed scans - one at the 5th mth another at the 8th mth.

Hi terrier/littleger,
estimated on 17th May.
Both u in April?

i remember Dr Ong mentioned the 8th mth detailed scan might not be necessary. Only if the 5th mth's one not gd or suspected of something then u need to have another one on the 8th mth.

Yup, mine is mid apr - 16th

Dr Ong said i will be having another blood test to see my blood count level when it's nearer to my delivery date cos the recent blood test result showed tat my blood count level is lower than normal!
kao_sad2.gif

Mine is ard 22 Apr, 1 wk after littleger
happy.gif

Littleger, so Dr Ong didn't prescrbe any iron supplements for u? Mine got...
sad.gif
but I don't take it everyday....b'coz I oreadi ganna constipation....scare it worsen...

Nope.. initially i was given calcium, multivits n folic acid. After the blood test, i was given iron pills! That day went to see Dr Ong, he still asked me if i got problem w passing motion onot!
u mean u were given the iron pills right from the begining? I've no choice, cos my blood count is low so i got to take it everyday!
sad.gif

no lah...I was only given iron pills after the blood test, same as u loh... but I didn't dare to take it everyday

ohh... den i very obedient ley! haha.. i take everyday! hmm... guess got no choice cos worry wait not enough blood!!

Hi, i juz came across tis thread, n wonder why is it tat u ladies were prescribed iron pills by yr gynae. The most important supplements during pregnancy are Calcium, Iron and Folic Acid...
The first n the last we all knw its purpose, and as for iron, this is wat i've extracted from a book to share here :

"The large increase in blood volume means that extra iron is needed to make haemoglobin for the increased number of red blood cells. The more haemoglobin the blood contains, the more oxygen it can carry to the various tissues, including the placenta. Your iron reserves will also be needed by the baby to have in reserve for after the birth, because breast milk contains only traces of iron."...

For myself, I've gone to my gynae when my bb was ard 8wks + and I took the pills regularly till my 8th mth onwards(cos tummy too big very hard, so i dun feel like swallowing pills after my meals - like no space like that ahhah).
My gynae gave me calcium tablets and capsules of folic acid + iron - so in this case, I dun hv to pop 3 types of pills at one time(swallowing pills is something I always hv problem with).

As for multivitamins, it is actually advised not to take due to the fear of excessive Vitamin A - which can be toxic and thus, dangerous to the foetus.

Hi littleger

Have you gone for your detailed scan already? Do keep us updated, ok?

Mine still have to wait till 1st week jan leh...

Back